Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN

Author
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
2008/02/19 13:33:53 (permalink)

Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN

The only place to get authentic mexican food in our area that I know of, The Real McCoy (I don't even know if that is the name of the establishment..but it's the only name I've ever seen associated with the place!) is excellent, from scratch, fare with attitude - the attitude coming from the owner who will tell anybody willing to listen that everything is home made just like they did it back in mexico...she laughs as she says "no sysco here!".

They are located in the bright yellow building on Market St, next to Midas and about 1 block from Jane's LunchBox (an official Sterns reviewed roadfood establishment).

A shot of the outside - other then the color, you could drive right past this small building and vnever know there were great things going on inside.

Just a few months ago the inside was standing room only but they have moved the counter back and made some seating room. When I dropped in today there were already 3 or 4 people bellied up and enjoying some soup and sandwiches.

The restaurant opens at 9 to sell their excellent pastries. Other then the churros (top left), I don't know the name of any of these but I can tell you the arrow head shaped pastries on the 2nd row are fantastic. I've had them filled with a sweet cheese and pineapple.

Under the counter there are various drinks and desserts available.

Now the reason for most of my visits...

The sandwiches and tamales! All the sandwiches start with fresh baked bread. There is an oven directly behind the counter with about 40 small loaves (or 40 large rolls) all waiting to be stuffed with various meats and veggies.

Pictured here is a Pambaso (or a Dip Sandwich) - fresh baked bread that is dipped into a hot salsa, then grill dried. They take the finished product, slice it and stuff it with chorizo, cooked potatoes, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream. It's very spicy and when you're finished eating it takes about 3 good hand washings to get the red stains off your fingers. It's a huge sandwich for about $5 - you won't go away hungry.

In addition to the sandwiches they always have an excellent selection of fresh tamales. Pictured is a jalapeño and cheese with onions and fresh salsa. In addition to that they have 4 different types of meat and a couple of dessert tamales.

I opened this one up before eating.

If you're passing through the area be sure to stop off and grab some Dip sandwiches for the road!

17 Replies Related Threads

susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/19 13:38:38 (permalink)
    This heart shaped pastries on the bottom are called palmiers. I love them.
    RibRater
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/19 13:40:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the name Susan...I think I've tried everything in that case. I thought they were very good also.
    RibRater
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/19 13:43:20 (permalink)
    Forgot to upload the photo of their sandwich menu....

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/19 13:50:04 (permalink)
    Nice report, and good pics...THANX.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/19 20:51:01 (permalink)
    Neat! Thanks!! Wish I was there!!!
    Joe
    angeltearsmc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/02/20 14:28:53 (permalink)
    I drive by this place almost every day but haven't tried it yet! Will have to walk over for lunch one day... it looks delicious. I thought Fred Sauceman had reviewed the place, but at the moment I can't find his write-up on http://www.gotricities.com . I was hoping it would give me the name...
    scyscyscy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/19 16:11:01 (permalink)
    After driving by for months, I finally made it in. I believe the official name of the place is "Volcanoes Bakery"- at least that' what the sign says to make checks out to. I wasn't very hungry, but tried the tostada de tinga (which was delicious) and a chicken tamale (probably the best tamale I've ever had). I'll be back often- at LEAST once a week.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/19 17:54:33 (permalink)
    What exit off of I 26 would I use to get to market street? Or better yet, is there a market street exit?
    scyscyscy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/19 18:11:19 (permalink)
    There IS a Market St exit, but it would be out of the way for this restaurant. If you take the State of Franklin exit, go away from Wal-Mart (towards the University, towards Sams and KMart) for a good ways and turn left on Market. Restaurant will be on the right, next to Meineke. Or take the Watauga/Unaka exit and take Unaka (it's a one-way st) to Market and turn Right. The restaurant will be on the left after a a couple miles (?). If you don't know the area, the State of Franklin exit would be the least confusing.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/19 18:27:50 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    If the question is asked "Is this really Roadfood?", my answer is an emphatic "YES!!", because it is something that could only be here. See our discussion on just what constitutes Roadfoodable places the "Old Roadfood and Goodfood Books" thread elsewhere in these fora.
    Oh, my... you're making me want to drive to Johnson City just for this. Gracious. (I have to run through the 1938 newspaper microfilm anyhow, and I think there were two daily newspapers in Johnson City in 1938.)
    Uncrankily, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/19 21:40:28 (permalink)
    I'm in Johnson City once or twice a year. I pretty much always get lost there, particulary when I try to go from Elizabeton (Ridgewood BBQ) to Jonesborough. So, while I'm familar with all of these roads...familar enough to know that I've been lost on all of them
    RibRater
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/20 04:42:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scyscyscy

After driving by for months, I finally made it in. I believe the official name of the place is "Volcanoes Bakery"- at least that' what the sign says to make checks out to. I wasn't very hungry, but tried the tostada de tinga (which was delicious) and a chicken tamale (probably the best tamale I've ever had). I'll be back often- at LEAST once a week.

Hey thanks for the name scy and welcome to roadfood. I'll edit the title to include that name.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13498
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/20 11:21:49 (permalink)
    I will be in the area in Mid May for the NHRA races and I will definately try the place. Thanks Larry for the heads up.

I will be staying at the Marriott in Kingsport.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    angeltearsmc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/21 09:23:51 (permalink)
    Welcome to RF, scyscyscy - good to have another JC person around!
    RibRater
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/21 10:11:32 (permalink)
    The Marriot is a nice place Paul...I played a round of golf there last year. If you have some time for a meal when you get here let me know and we can hook up. I'm centrally located to all things tri-cities.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2008/04/21 10:24:35 (permalink)
    Used to go through Johnson City before we turned,heading for the mountain town of Burnsville NC...to do summer stock for many summers in the late 60's. It was always a place that simply meant our summer was about to begin...Thanks for letting me see that there was more there...wish I could make that trip again...and this time stop!!
    boilermaker
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN 2010/02/24 16:52:53 (permalink)
    It looks like it has closed temporarily. I drove by this afternoon and there is a sign out front announcing a taqueria will be opening soon, along with a guy on a ladder touching up the exterior paint.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1