Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
hkrall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2010/03/24 16:03:51 (permalink)

Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog

Citizens Bank Park (Phillies stadium) is offering up 3 hot dog variations as contenders for the team/stadium's new signature hot dog. 

•South Philly Hot Dog

all beef dog / broccoli rabe / sharp provolone / crusty italian roll

Olde Philadelphia Hot Dog

all beef dog / "Amish" pepper hash / pickle / poppy seed roll

• Summer Hot Dog

all beef dog / cucumbers / pickled onion salsa / ancho chili sauce / pretzel roll

---- 

can't post the link but if you want to read more, just google "philly's new signature hot dog"

My vote goes to the Olde Philadelphia, although maybe with a Martin's potato Roll to amp up the Pennsylvania Dutch theme? Surprised not to see any pork roll or cheese wiz going on, but I guess pork roll is more Jersey and Philadelphia is trying to get past Wiz. Pretzel roll is a cool idea. Some breakfast & lunch joints here you can get sandwiches (pork roll & cheese, etc) on a soft pretzel. It's awesome. 

post edited by hkrall - 2010/03/24 16:07:15

79 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 17:05:12 (permalink)
    Hawk: I'm with you on the Olde Philadelphia and would love to see them use a Martin's Potato Roll. I'm voting for the Olde Philadelphia.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2334
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 17:17:21 (permalink)
    Out of the three I would go with the Olde Philadelphia also. Simple, and I think I would like the pepper hash. I wouldn't like the other 2 dogs.

Does anyone know where the beef dog is from? To me that's more important than what's put on it. I've had the Phillies frank in the past at the Vet and it was horrible. Hatfield beef/pork is just a poor dog with a weird spicing. I've also had the Phillies beef frank from Hatfield, and it too isn't good.

Now if the beef dog is a Dietz and Watson from Philly, then you've got a quality dog.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 17:38:00 (permalink)
    I would rather not get past the Cheez Whiz vs. eating provolone or broccoli rabe on a hot dog.

I would (if only) vote for...

Dietz & Watson with Cheez Whiz mustard (ohhh this is where it gets hard) some sort of  simple hot pepper relish on a pretzel roll.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 17:57:27 (permalink)
    I'd go with an Old Philly BUT switch the Roll from Poppy Seed to Pretzel---THEN you'd have a true Philly Dog!
    hkrall
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 18:36:01 (permalink)
    John I think the stadium has a contract with Hatfield so I assume that's what it is. 

In a dream world they would use natural casing franks made by Illg's meats or the Amish.. 

The Poppy Seed roll kind of makes sense as a nod to Levis' which was Philly's most well known hot dog place for years and maybe used poppy seed rolls since they were sort of kosher-style (I'm too young to remember details)
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 18:42:26 (permalink)
    Give a nod to Levis' by serving it with a Champ Cherry!!!

Levis' Champ Cherry  soda one of a kind cherry-champagne taste. The Phillies win their first championship in 1950 and customers are calling the magic elixir "Champ Cherry" in honor of the win.

That's marketing.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/03/24 19:22:21
    Bossa Nova
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 19:51:34 (permalink)
    The Hatfield natural casing deli style beef hot dogs are pretty good.  The "deli style" is a different recipe from their regular beef hot dogs.
    John Fox
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 20:09:10 (permalink)
    Yes. The New York deli style dog is what we had at the Rahway Grill on the 6th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. A great dog and so much better than the other dogs Hatfield makes. They're not even sold in PA.
    CheeseWit
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 20:30:57 (permalink)
    hkrall

John I think the stadium has a contract with Hatfield so I assume that's what it is. 

In a dream world they would use natural casing franks made by Illg's meats or the Amish.. 

The Poppy Seed roll kind of makes sense as a nod to Levis' which was Philly's most well known hot dog place for years and maybe used poppy seed rolls since they were sort of kosher-style (I'm too young to remember details)

I'm old enough to remember Levis' and they did not use poppy seed rolls. Plain old frankfurter rolls. I loved Levis' combo (fishcake and dog) and I do like Illg's. Lenny's has had a good pepper hash.
    LeadBelly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 20:54:00 (permalink)
    Yeah, can't remember poppy seed rolls at Levis'. But remember for a long while there were two competing Levis' in the same block before South Street; so maybe the one that went out of business first used a poppy seed roll. But I always went into the original Levis which did not. Combo with Champ Cherry from the old fountain. That was good. 
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 22:04:26 (permalink)
    WCAU-TV Philadelphia also ran a story about the press conference put on by the Phillies. It includes video discussing the "Signature Hot Dog":
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/around-town/food-drink/Phillies-Fans-Pick-a-Favorite-Dog-88845622.html

Hatfield's web site has for some time stated that their Phillies hot dogs are served at the ball park. Some media photos of the choices for the signature hot dog clearly show a small skinless dog.

As the WCAU video clearly shows, the Phillies threw a press conference and fed the media free ball park food. Maybe that is why this story about a skinless hot dog got onto the AP wire.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/24 22:39:35 (permalink)
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 02:30:18 (permalink)
    I think the Olde Philadelphia dog would taste best.
    John Fox
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 06:19:31 (permalink)
    David_NYC

WCAU-TV Philadelphia also ran a story about the press conference put on by the Phillies. It includes video discussing the "Signature Hot Dog":
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/around-town/food-drink/Phillies-Fans-Pick-a-Favorite-Dog-88845622.html

Hatfield's web site has for some time stated that their Phillies hot dogs are served at the ball park. Some media photos of the choices for the signature hot dog clearly show a small skinless dog.

As the WCAU video clearly shows, the Phillies threw a press conference and fed the media free ball park food. Maybe that is why this story about a skinless hot dog got onto the AP wire.

So what we probably have here is a skinless, mediocre dog that is to be gussied up with some topping combinations. As I've stated many times, if you don't start with a good dog, it doesn't matter what you do to it. It will probably be the same frank that the Phillies promote on dollar dog night. That would be too bad especially since the Yankees and Mets have both upgraded their franks in recent years.  So have the Red Sox and Twins. Probably other teams as well.

For years the Red Sox served a poor quality frank as their "Fenway Frank". A year ago they switched to a quality dog made by Kayem.

As a Mets fan, I was subjected to years of Kahn's, Armour, and Ballpark. I stopped eating hot dogs at the games. I think the Yankees also used a cheap frank. Then a few years ago I noticed Nathan's and Hebrew National at both stadiums. The Mets also added a kosher Abele's & Heymann's frank. And since beer goes well with hot dogs, many ballparks began offering quality microbrews. Which would be the equivalent of a good regional frank or one from a butcher shop.

Philly should follow suit. I'd rather have a plain, steamed Hebrew National than a Hatfield (non N.Y. deli style) frank with some good or unique toppings. Better yet, get a quality dog, then top it with the Amish pepper hash. I know good dogs can be found in Philly. It would be nice to have a good hot dog with my beer rather than a $10.00 or $12.00 cheesesteak.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 06:47:16 (permalink)
    Amish pepper hash....YES!!!!!!!
    CheeseWit
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 08:07:34 (permalink)
    John Fox

David_NYC

So what we probably have here is a skinless, mediocre dog that is to be gussied up with some topping combinations. As I've stated many times, if you don't start with a good dog, it doesn't matter what you do to it. It will probably be the same frank that the Phillies promote on dollar dog night. That would be too bad especially since the Yankees and Mets have both upgraded their franks in recent years.  So have the Red Sox and Twins. Probably other teams as well.

For years the Red Sox served a poor quality frank as their "Fenway Frank". A year ago they switched to a quality dog made by Kayem.

As a Mets fan, I was subjected to years of Kahn's, Armour, and Ballpark. I stopped eating hot dogs at the games. I think the Yankees also used a cheap frank. Then a few years ago I noticed Nathan's and Hebrew National at both stadiums. The Mets also added a kosher Abele's & Heymann's frank. And since beer goes well with hot dogs, many ballparks began offering quality microbrews. Which would be the equivalent of a good regional frank or one from a butcher shop.

Philly should follow suit. I'd rather have a plain, steamed Hebrew National than a Hatfield (non N.Y. deli style) frank with some good or unique toppings. Better yet, get a quality dog, then top it with the Amish pepper hash. I know good dogs can be found in Philly. It would be nice to have a good hot dog with my beer rather than a $10.00 or $12.00 cheesesteak.

John: As usual, you're right on the money. I don't eat the hot dogs at Citizens Bank Park (I won't eat the cheesesteaks there either but, that's another story). I've wished for a Hebrew National frank ever since the park opened. Seemingly, the thinking is "let's serve any old dog, they'll buy it." 
    David_NYC
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 08:52:52 (permalink)
    I just found another humorous story and video by a Philadelphia-area editor of Montgomery Newspapers:
    http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2010/03/24/columns/doc4baa249b57300644581487.txt

In the video, the executive chef, Glenn Richmond, describes the hot dog as "a grilled all beef Hatfield". Since he didn't say "Phillies", there is a chance they are using another one of Hatfield's all-beef hot dogs. I would certainly hope he did as his counterparts did at other ball parks and get the best hot dog made by Hatfield. But John is probably right, that their regular dog is just being spiffed up a bit.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 09:34:07 (permalink)
    It must be a Hatfield exclusive to  Phillies/Aramark deal.

The CP catering packages that date back to 2008 list Hatfield all beef jumbo franks. Hatfield does not mass market jumbo all beef franks.

http://www.aramarksports.com/citizensbankpark/pdfs/catering_menus/Pre_Game_Areas.pdf

http://www.hatfieldqualitymeats.com/Products/ProductCategory.aspx?ProductCategoryID=7

I am pretty sure there would be an internal memo that instructs anyone who is in charge of giving descriptions not to say Phillies or Hatfield Phillies (or just Hatfield jumbos)...since some Hatfield Phillies and any Hatfield jumbo product (at  the Supermarket level) are an all meat product.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/03/25 10:17:07
    John Fox
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 13:34:37 (permalink)
    While dogs made to a certain size may be exclusive to a client, store, restaurant, etc. more often than not they are made to the same recipe. I've spoken to distributors as well as people who work for companies producing hot dogs. Empire National (not the Empire that makes turkeys or chickens) has one recipe. But they make different sizes and some with a collagen casing. They made a special dog for Tabatchnik's in Union that was 1/3 lb and had a casing. When Tabatchnik's closed, Empire discontinued this dog. But it was the same recipe as their others.

A distributor told me that the better beef dog from Hatfield is only made for the New York/New Jersey market to compete with Sabrett. I know of 4 recipes produced by Hatfield. This one (excellent), an all beef (Phillies frank, poor quality) a beef/pork (also was sold at the Vet; pretty bad), and a beef and pork frank with turkey and/or chicken.I won't even try this one.

I would bet that the beef dog to be served at Citizen Bank Park, while perhaps being a different size, and not sold retail, is the same recipe mediocre dog that has been sold there and in the supermarkets. If so, then to use this dog and dress it up with fancy toppings while creating a marketing blitz, to me is like putting lipstick on a pig.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 13:48:17 (permalink)
    Yes in the foodservice end of Hatfield they offer a great deal of custom sizing options...without mentioning anything about formula. If anyone could or would have say it would be Aramark (based in Philadelphia) but chances are it is just size.

You will ALWAYS see or hear Hatfield written or mentioned when it is about Phillies and hot dogs They don't ever stress Hatfield in regard to sausage (even though it is supplied by Hatfield) and funny enough there is a Hatfield Grill that serves chicken bites...when there really is no connection to Hatfield products and chicken.

In the reverse sense it is good for Hatfield to simply mention Phillies hot dogs as served at Phillies games...to the Supermarket customers.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 13:53:57 (permalink)
    John Fox

David_NYC

I'm sure there's someone in the Philly's organization who is the Liaison Person to the Concessionaire. If a Roadfooder in Phlly could get their name and contact info, we could start a write-in or email campaign to get a quality Dog for our fellow brethern in Philly. I'm sure Aramark or whomever has a contract with Hatfield or whomever, but contracts can be revised or replaced.

Just send them the above Epistle of St. John of NJ and that should do it!
    John Fox
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 15:22:12 (permalink)
    Or better yet, just convince Citizens Bank Park to demand their supplier (Aramark/Hatfield) to provide them with the premium frank made by Hatfield and available to hot dog establishments in Jersey. I've bought them at Restaurant Depot.

Rahway Grill and Curbside Cafe are 2 popular places that serve this frank. It's boiled at Curbside and griddled at the Rahway Grill. It was the overwhelming choice as the favorite dog on the 6th Anuual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour last September when we visited the Rahway Grill. I'm sure it would be a big hit at Phillies games.
    post edited by John Fox - 2010/03/25 15:25:22
    CheeseWit
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 15:42:50 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have a chance in hell of convincing the folks at CBP or at Aramark of changing to or adding the premium Hatfield product. I've been amazed at the reports of Citizens Bank Park having superior ballpark food. Yes, The Schmitter sandwich is unique and not to be missed, and the crab fries from Chickie's and Pete's is a good item but, the hot dogs are mediocre at best. 

And for those people who are eating cheesesteaks for the first time, it's convenient to have Tony Luke's there if you like standing in line for half an inning.

The Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles all have better food selections in their parks.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 15:52:57 (permalink)
    They won best MLB  ballpark food in 2007 and best vegetarian something or other last year.

The whole select the toppings to cover thing is a sign of where their thoughts are about going in another direction. Sales may be down a tad but just switch the pillows and keep the sofa. Don't know if it is a caught between the s**t and tide situation about switching up the hot dog that they have to compete with Sabrett in NJ...when Hatfield has and will be selling the hell out of their Supermarket product as Phillies in Philly.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/03/25 16:03:17
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 16:07:06 (permalink)
    From "The Things I Didn't Realize" Dept.
    I'd didn't realize that the Dodgers didn't have "Dodger Dogs" when they were in Brooklyn! " />
    They only started selling them after moving to LA,CA.
    I didn't realize that Dodger Dogs are made for them by Farmer Johns.

Maybe Farmer Johns can create a quality dog for the Phillies???????
    John Fox
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 19:52:14 (permalink)
    Although I've never had one, I hear from friends who visit LA that the Dodger Dog is lousy.

I know we're talking about a stadium here, but a disturbing trend in hot dog establishments the last few years has been the emphasis on the stuff put on a hot dog rather than the actual frankfurter itself. Raspberry/wasabi/cream cheese dogs don't cut it with me. Gus Poulos and Nathan Handwerker would be turning over in their graves if Papaya King and Nathan's offered crap like that which appeals to the hip and trendy.

If someone opening a hot dog restaurant wants to be different, they should seek out a quality dog from a small butcher shop or regional producer that isn't known by many. Or else stick to the tried and true brands and prepare them well.
    David_NYC
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 21:11:52 (permalink)
    I found a separate website for Hatfield food service products. Here is the page for Beef Franks (they have another for all meat franks):
    http://www.hatfieldqualitymeatsfoodservice.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?ProductCategoryID=14
    Note the footnote for their Deluxe food service hot dogs: "Deluxe Grill Franks use superior raw materials and additional seasonings."
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Vote for Philly's new signature hot dog 2010/03/25 21:12:14 (permalink)
    John Fox

Although I've never had one, I hear from friends who visit LA that the Dodger Dog is lousy.

I know we're talking about a stadium here, but a disturbing trend in hot dog establishments the last few years has been the emphasis on the stuff put on a hot dog rather than the actual frankfurter itself. Raspberry/wasabi/cream cheese dogs don't cut it with me. Gus Poulos and Nathan Handwerker would be turning over in their graves if Papaya King and Nathan's offered crap like that which appeals to the hip and trendy.

If someone opening a hot dog restaurant wants to be different, they should seek out a quality dog from a small butcher shop or regional producer that isn't known by many. Or else stick to the tried and true brands and prepare them well.

I bought a box of them a while back from a chain called Smart & Final. They're a Regional Costco/Sams Club wannabe without needing to buy a membership card. The Dogs are about 10" long and I'm guessing close to a 1/2 pound. They weren't outstanding but they weren't too bad. Just an average Dog!
    Do you have Farmer John's Products available in NJ?
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/03/25 21:14:58
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1