WASP food?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 18:41:43 (permalink)
What do WASPs eat is a bit of a trick question ... a hallmark of a WASP is that they usually keep very little food in the house ... open a WASP refrigerator and there will be almost nothing in it.
So often, what do WASPs make for dinner? ... reservations.

As far as home-food that could be attributed to them in the strictest definition; as WASPs are generally non-working-class, Wealthy White Anglo Saxon Protestants ... by definition most "ethnic" food is out (Anglo-Saxon) ... Soul Food is out (White) ... all po'folks or for that matter "white trash" food or "country-style" food such as chicken fried anything, grits, vienna sausage sandwiches with yellow mustard on white bread, or smothered onions, or collard greens with bacon fat etc etc is absolutely, positively out (wealthy) ... and of course, fast food is way out.

Some WASP foods might be geographic ... so food from the North-Eastern seaboard ... maybe what you ate when you visited your Aunt Elizabeth at her summer home in York Harbor or Northeast Harbor or Nantucket.

WASPs are said to "love animals but hate people" ... so possibly what they ate in the clubhouse at the Hunt Club, at the Audubon Society meeting, or at the Gardens Association meeting from the museum.

WASPs are often characterized as the root of "preppy" ... so think of what people wandering around a back-yard party in late summer in their madras shorts and a white polo shirt with a lavender sweater draped over their shoulders with the arms loosely tied around their necks would eat ... certainly cocktails ... maybe very light food - so as not to interfere with conversations about their daughter's blue ribbon from a local hunter-jumper competition, or the upcoming America's Cup, or the latest scuttlebutt on "piping" (not plumbing, but the Piping Rock Country Club).
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

... Mint Julep, Tea Sandwiches, Watermelon Basket, Lobster Rolls, Creamed Chipped Beef, Egg Nog, are some of the recipes I remember ... Also don't forget hard liquor. "Inez's cookies", thats the favorite cookies the housekeeper makes.

When it comes to the actual items ... that's a good list! ... and cookies "because the housekeeper makes them" - perfect! :-)

mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 18:55:36 (permalink)
It's true that we prefer animals to people. An important fact that we've all missed is that WASPs drink. I think it was Florence King who wrote the WASP grocery list: cat food, dog food, olives and dinner fixings for the week...
Guilty as charged.
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 18:58:43 (permalink)
Just noticed the post previous to mine. Sorry- the Rob Roys are kicking in...
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 19:17:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

What do WASPs eat is a bit of a trick question ... a hallmark of a WASP is that they usually keep very little food in the house ... open a WASP refrigerator and there will be almost nothing in it.
So often, what do WASPs make for dinner? ... reservations.

As far as home-food that could be attributed to them in the strictest definition; as WASPs are generally non-working-class, Wealthy White Anglo Saxon Protestants ... by definition most "ethnic" food is out (Anglo-Saxon) ... Soul Food is out (White) ... all po'folks or for that matter "white trash" food or "country-style" food such as chicken fried anything, grits, vienna sausage sandwiches with yellow mustard on white bread, or smothered onions, or collard greens with bacon fat etc etc is absolutely, positively out (wealthy) ... and of course, fast food is way out.

Some WASP foods might be geographic ... so food from the North-Eastern seaboard ... maybe what you ate when you visited your Aunt Elizabeth at her summer home in York Harbor or Northeast Harbor or Nantucket.

WASPs are said to "love animals but hate people" ... so possibly what they ate in the clubhouse at the Hunt Club, at the Audubon Society meeting, or at the Gardens Association meeting from the museum.

WASPs are often characterized as the root of "preppy" ... so think of what people wandering around a back-yard party in late summer in their madras shorts and a white polo shirt with a lavender sweater draped over their shoulders with the arms loosely tied around their necks would eat ... certainly cocktails ... maybe very light food - so as not to interfere with conversations about their daughter's blue ribbon from a local hunter-jumper competition, or the upcoming America's Cup, or the latest scuttlebutt on "piping" (not plumbing, but the Piping Rock Country Club).

quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

... Mint Julep, Tea Sandwiches, Watermelon Basket, Lobster Rolls, Creamed Chipped Beef, Egg Nog, are some of the recipes I remember ... Also don't forget hard liquor. "Inez's cookies", thats the favorite cookies the housekeeper makes.

When it comes to the actual items ... that's a good list! ... and cookies "because the housekeeper makes them" - perfect! :-)

I sure hope this was meant in jest. If not it represents the most ethinic, racial, religious, slur I have ever seen on this forum.

I am a WASP and I am damn proud of it. We were instrumental in making this country what it is.

Cakes

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 19:43:47 (permalink)
There's a distinction between WASP food and American Food. Wasp's won't eat most American Foods
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 19:44:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

[quoteI sure hope this was meant in jest. If not it represents the most ethinic, racial, religious, slur I have ever seen on this forum.

I am a WASP and I am damn proud of it. We were instrumental in making this country what it is.

Cakes

If you had few posts I'd suspect you of being a troll with that inflamatory comment.

Yes, WASPs were absolutely instrumental in making this country what it is. The founding fathers were "proto-WASPs" ... up until Jack Kennedy, all of our Presidents were WASPs, as were most of our early Industrialists. Inherent in the traditional definition of a WASP is that they are "old money" ... and old money built much of this country.

You ... a WASP?? ... CODSWALLOP!

I have relatives who are "card-carrying", "dyed in the socks" WASPs ... In the spirit of Lloyd Benson: "I know WASPs. You are no WASP"

"ethnic religious racial slur"?????
Just where the hell do you get off with that?

You obviously don't even know what the damn acronym stands for!
If you did you would know perfectly well that it stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant ... W A S P

Cakes, the only saving grace to your contention that you are a WASP, and a soused one at that, is that your post reeks of cocktails and little to eat. Other than that, you need to step back and have a little "time-out" before you go accusing people of being ethnic, religious or racial bigots.

I take real offense to your insult.
Bugger off pillock.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 20:13:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mollydingle

It's true that we prefer animals to people. An important fact that we've all missed is that WASPs drink. I think it was Florence King who wrote the WASP grocery list: cat food, dog food, olives and dinner fixings for the week...
Guilty as charged.

LOL ... yup, that's a WASP grocery list for sure ... Olives as a staple! (they are for me :-) As we say about olives when ordering: "extra fruit please".
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 20:19:05 (permalink)
this thread should be locked before it turns ugly.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 20:29:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

this thread should be locked before it turns ugly.

I appreciate the thought Xannie_01 but it is not necessary.

I post in good faith, and do not troll ...
Insulted or not I will not participate in further yowling ... nor respond to further insults from Cakes. Don't know what got into him/her ... (apparently was unfamiliar with the acronym) <sigh>
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 21:07:54 (permalink)
We all need to lighten up, people!
I also think there is a difference between Yankee/ WASP and say, Southern or Midwestern/WASP. One of the many excellent points made in 'Albion's Seed' was how different British foodways became ensconced in various regions of the US.
Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 21:21:44 (permalink)
You want real Wasp food ? Just attend any Lutheran church pot luck supper.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 21:54:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Turkey tetrazzini should be right up there with the chicken a la king.

Sorry, too "ethnic!"
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 22:22:41 (permalink)
I am Caucasian, that would be white. Many of my ancestors are from the British Isles, that would be Anglo-Saxon. I was raised as a Methodist, that would be Protestant.

I think that makes me a WASP.

Cakes

acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/26 22:49:37 (permalink)
How about Deviled Eggs?

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 00:33:36 (permalink)
Lunch out for the proper lady required the ordering of a "chicken club sandwhich"
pinetree
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 10:38:57 (permalink)
Sonny ~ you are a WASP expert! I come from the heart of WASP-dom, Northwestern Connecticut. Although I am Italian American, I have plenty of experience with the breed, and several have managed to marry into my family. WASP weddings are the worst place for food...usually only insipid plates of appetizers passed around. But there's usually plenty of booze, which kind of makes up for it. I think tuna noodle casserole is very waspy, as is artichoke dip.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 10:51:52 (permalink)
...some of my best friends are WASPS...

Cheers, John
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 10:59:19 (permalink)
At the risk of being inflammatory, I am a proud WASP but I think it's a state of mind as much as anything. Also, perhaps unusual for the era, I grew up in a home that appreciated good food of all sorts. I do get tired of the 'bland, tasteless' label. It may be true in some cases, but there's nothing like the so-called bland foods when one is unwell, unhappy or in general need of comfort.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 11:18:44 (permalink)
Sonny, would that what you say is true. There is no "wealthy" inherent in WASP, if there were I sure wouldn't be working.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 12:39:46 (permalink)
Those little buggers hurt when they sting!

My mom usto make serve something out of a can called Welsh Rarbet (spelling?). I did not like it much. I raised rabbits as a kid and always thought there might be some rabbit in it.
Joe
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 12:45:40 (permalink)
...bean soup! bean soup!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 15:43:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Sonny, would that what you say is true. There is no "wealthy" inherent in WASP, if there were I sure wouldn't be working.

Ahhhh yes, WASP'ism isn't what it used to be <sigh>

Though the WASPs I was referring to should not be confused with people in general who happen to be white anglos who are Protestant. I meant a much more specific group.

To make my food comments a specific as possible, my comments were about only about the most traditional social/cultural group known as WASPs ... who are, by definition, traditionally wealthy.
Another description would be that they are that group known as "bluebloods" ... the privileged old-money class in America.

This traditional group known as WASPs can be described as ... White Anglo Saxon Protestant, wealthy and specifically old money, often living on estates and/or historic homes, often inherited wealth, often very aware of their ancestors going back more than a hundred years (not infrequently have paintings or photos of them that they are thrilled to show you if you have any interest at all); involved with activities often involving animals; pets, hunt clubs (based on the tradition of fox hunting), English riding etc, often tend to "little food in the 'fridge" as I mentioned ... certain ways of dress, very specific social activities very often only with others who are also part of that group ... and very, very "tribal", that is, actual traditional WASP society tends to be a very very closed society.
It was explained to me that they readily evaluate others as either "in" or "out"; a WASP or NOT ... with NO in between (but would not confront someone as such because they also fancy themselves as some of the most polite people in society as well).

That there is no "in between" was explained to me when a female family member of mine in New York (we are of Italian descent) married into a WASP family ... she considers herself part of that culture now, but she readily admits that she can not actually be one of "them" (according to what she says anyway).

I must say though, they were exceptionally welcoming to us as extended "family members" ... they were really interesting to talk to (reminded me almost a bit like talking to a docent in a museum) and, at least her husbands family, very aware of their specific culture.

I must say, I found the whole visit fascinating.
When we arrived the first thing we saw is that they had an enormous jug of wine in a holder strapped to the front gate at the enterance to their driveway, that anyone could walk up to and drink.
It was hung upside-down with a valve so that all you had to do was put your glass up to it to fill it with wine.
What I found out was that it was a traditional form of hospitality for riders out fox-hunting. The idea is that they just ride right up and help themselves (though we didn't see any riders while we where there ... we did walk out and sample the wine for a bit ).

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 15:49:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mollydingle

At the risk of being inflammatory, I am a proud WASP but I think it's a state of mind as much as anything. Also, perhaps unusual for the era, I grew up in a home that appreciated good food of all sorts. I do get tired of the 'bland, tasteless' label. It may be true in some cases, but there's nothing like the so-called bland foods when one is unwell, unhappy or in general need of comfort.

I think so, Molly ... definitely becoming more and more a state of mind.
That culture seems to be disappearing as people interact with the more diverse society. The "old-fashioned" stuff is just getting diluted ... whether it's people just getting away from the old ways, or like my cousin, becoming part of that society by other ways.

I think that's the way it is for all groups in the melting pot.

And in a more general way, because people are free to identify themselves any way they choose, one could insist (as Cakes does) that merely being a white anglo who is protestant makes one a modern WASP. It really is a state of mind now ... the "entitlement" thing is disappearing.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 15:55:54 (permalink)
By the way, at my cousin's reception (which was outdoors) they served crown roast, mashed potatoes (with an awesome gravy), roast fall vegetables, rolls, salad etc.
They also had a champagne fountain :-) (and a tended bar)
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 19:44:11 (permalink)
Sonny and Cakes:

I am a WASP and I thought what Sonny posted was one of the funniest things I have read on this site in a long time.

I always try to laugh at myself, before someone else laughs about me.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 23:28:22 (permalink)
But ....but..! some of my best friends are white......
Why is "WASP" the only ethnic slur that is still considered to be OK to post here on Roadfood.com?
A wasp is a hateful, invidious insect, and whoever coined the acronym meant it to be a disparaging epithet.

The W word should be relegated to the sh..can along with the N word, the P word, the F word ...etc.etc.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 23:47:36 (permalink)
which is why i strongly suggested the subject be locked.
and as usual, no one pays attention.
you are all highly intellectual with rapier wits.
this topic is
beneath you.
lock it.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/27 23:55:58 (permalink)
My My boys and girls....when I first brought up this topic, all I wanted to do was talk about FOOD!

Actually its amazing that this topic has been so inflamatory.... never expected this could touch nerves. So much for blandness, vanilla ice cream and white bread...

but I agree, if we have to shut the topic, shut it!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/28 00:30:46 (permalink)
Please pass the Chex mix.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: WASP food? 2006/09/28 10:08:57 (permalink)
Francis, it is because WASPs have never suffered the discrimination, degradation, segregration, denigration, and abuse that the other groups you allude to have had to endure and overcome.

It is puzzling to me why , when a family escapes their "ethnic" background and acheive upper middle class status they gradually take on all the trappings of WASPishness - especially an indifference to the plight of others not as fortunate as themselves.

And of course the most WASPish statement ever made is... "some of my best friends are (plug in whatever ethnic group you want)"...

Oh, we're supposed to be talking about food here... Well, if you want to know WASPish food just look up a Schrafft's menu from the 40s: cream sauces, bland vegetables, overcooked meats, and a general lack of herbs and spices.

Do we like WASPish foods? You bet we do. Just last week we made up a dish of scalloped (escalloped at Schrafft's) potatoes with a slice of baked ham (heaven forbid, not a country ham- they're too strong for this dish). And as we enjoyed our dish, we both said how comforting it was, and how we sometimes miss the way we used to eat.

Cheers, John
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1