WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES

Author
club_soda_and_salt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/03/26 02:02:24 (permalink)

WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES

hey, everyone loves making their own sandwiches because we know how we like them, we know how much mayo and how much butter, we know which dressin to put on the salad, we know the right amount to toast the bread, that is if we decide to at all... some people put extra layers of bread soaked in gravy to add an extra moist factor. I am intruiged to know what your techniques are for creating the perfect sarny

20 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/26 18:18:18 (permalink)
    Sarny?
    Kayleigh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/26 18:38:46 (permalink)
    Roossy90, Our new friend is from the UK ,Australia, or New Zealand.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/26 20:27:18 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhhhhh....
    Thanks for the 411, K...
    (LOL)
    Ok.. to answer....
    Depends on the sandwich if I am toasting the bread---mayo or miracle whip for my tomato sandwich. Usually mustard on others....
    Depends on the mood. I like lots of mayo on a BLT and club, but just a little bit of mustard on my ham or roast beef sandwich....
    But, if you check this thread, you will see many many replies as to favorite sandwiches...
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7439
    club_soda_and_salt
    Junior Burger
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/27 14:27:54 (permalink)
    I am indeed from the UK, London infact. A sarny is another word for a sandwich, Thanks for the info about reading the other threads rossey but i am interested in finding out how people make their own sandwiches, i am a second year graphic design student working on a magazine about sandwiches (we had to pick a topic that was unrepresented in the current market) I am carrying out some research. Thanks for your help so far ... spread the word no pun intended.
    Kayleigh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/27 16:04:08 (permalink)
    http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1403005
    csaa...There was a nice PBS TV special (I think 2hrs) that is shown in the link. Since it was educational television you might find it in the London library system.
    I also want to share a memory I'll never forget.
    We walked up to Harrod's with the afternoon blahs and asked the doorman if there was somewhere inside to get a cup of coffee. He said;

"We have 22 eateries and I am sure each one of them will serve you coffee"
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/27 16:10:25 (permalink)
    For me, It's just the love of putting it togethar and knowing 5 minutes later it will be history. Then sadness when I have to wash the cutting board, knife and wrap up the extra leftovers. (I hate doing friggin dishes)....

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/27 18:28:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by club_soda_and_salt

I am indeed from the UK, London infact. A sarny is another word for a sandwich, Thanks for the info about reading the other threads rossey but i am interested in finding out how people make their own sandwiches, i am a second year graphic design student working on a magazine about sandwiches (we had to pick a topic that was unrepresented in the current market) I am carrying out some research. Thanks for your help so far ... spread the word no pun intended.

well, I hope my answer helped you... Good luck in your studies..
    Tara
    But there are many descriptions of sandwich making on that link, including another one of mine.....
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/29 12:39:33 (permalink)
    Just as an example, if I ask the OH for a tuna sandwich (tuna salad already made because she REFUSES to make tuna even at work) I'll get a layer of tuna salad between 2 slices of bread, maybe toast if I ask. When I make the sandwich I first pregraze the frig offerings, pop a couple slices of whole grain in the toaster then cover each with MiricleWhip, saltNpepper, a thick layer of tuna salad, sliced tomatoe, leftover bacon from brkfast, a couple of baby spinich leaves and maybe a slice of cheese
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/30 06:32:56 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I hate making sandwiches for myself...so the best sandwiches I've eaten have been made by
    my mother, wife, or friends. They are doing it out of love and always tastes better.
    When I make sandwiches for others, I make sure the ingredients are as good as I can get,
    and I think of who I am making it for, their tastes, perks, dislikes, etc., and add love.
    The reverse can happen as well...when the wife is mad at me, I steer away from any food
    she makes for me.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/30 07:18:09 (permalink)
    Right you are, Fieldthistle --- they do tend to taste best when someone else makes them for you. My husband makes grand sandwiches, and I have fond memories of my mother making grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup on cold winter days. Sandwiches made by my husband or mother always taste better to me than ones I make, even if I make them the same way.

Andrea
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/30 08:44:50 (permalink)
    You have someone make the sandwich for you....
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/30 08:46:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nemis

You have someone make the sandwich for you....

Ooopppssss, Sorry about that!
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/31 11:43:53 (permalink)
    I'd have to say by giving it the "Dagwood" treatment, with the very freshest stuff you can find, lettuce, tomato, onion, good pickles, even olives.
    a top quality mustard, mayo, dressing, what have you.
    Very fresh bread/bun/roll.
    Lean meat and or good cheese.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/31 12:06:55 (permalink)
    For me other then quality ingredients, it’s how you arrange them so your sammy (my friend calls them that) doesn’t fall apart. Rather then plopping all of the veggies and sauces on top I intertwine them in layers. So I might start out with a piece of bread with meat on it, but then put down some pickles & onions, top that off with more meat and cheese, then lettuce with more meat on top of that. Layers my friends, it’s all about the construction. This way when I pick it up to dunk it in a side of dressing everything doesn't fall out!

Hey, I just happen to have a photo of one of my sammys from a previous thread. Note how stable this fellow looks, quality construction my friends, quality.

club_soda_and_salt
    Junior Burger
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/31 20:20:25 (permalink)
    Hey everyone!!

Thank you all very much for your replies so far its fantastic to find other people with a passion for sandwiches and food in general. Kepp them coming!

In response to 'Theedge' I totally agree, it is all in the construction ... you have clearly created a mighty beast with the above sandwich, it looks amazingly tasty, I will be taking a fair few photos for my magazine so I should be able to show you some of mine.

Thanks again everyone ... keep eating!!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/31 22:04:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by club_soda_and_salt

hey, everyone loves making their own sandwiches because we know how we like them, we know how much mayo and how much butter, we know which dressin to put on the salad, we know the right amount to toast the bread, that is if we decide to at all... some people put extra layers of bread soaked in gravy to add an extra moist factor. I am intruiged to know what your techniques are for creating the perfect sarny

I seriously make one kind of sandwich--the Indiana deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. A lot of preparation goes into making them and I have put all my knowledge here in this photo tutorial and editorialized recipe...

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html

This is my best one to date...

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/03/31 22:11:48 (permalink)
    DavyD: I enjoyed your tutorial. I can tell that you put a lot of work and effort in creating your sandwich. I appreciate your photos and tips.

The way you do it is not easy. The easiest part was where you paused and refreshed with a "Big Butt". I might have stopped there but you labored on

Nice job and thanks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/04/15 06:43:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

Right you are, Fieldthistle --- they do tend to taste best when someone else makes them for you. My husband makes grand sandwiches, and I have fond memories of my mother making grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup on cold winter days. Sandwiches made by my husband or mother always taste better to me than ones I make, even if I make them the same way. Andrea

I do most of the cooking, so when my husband does make sandwiches for us, it does taste better than one I do myself. I came home one day to grilled provelone, copacolla and turkey on sourdough with mustard and mayo. I usually hate mayo on cold cuts, but this was really, really good. It was rich like a monte cristo.

I do think the emotional aspect has a lot to do with the taste of food. Memories of my grandmother's fried egg and salami sandwiches outdo the finest restaurants.
    Rev.Bucky
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/04/16 21:17:49 (permalink)
    I almost always throw the bread and Cheese under the broiler, and usually the meat is in their too. It takes a little longer, but to me it's worth it. Of course, I don't use many veggies except for Tomatoes, onions and peppers, and I usually dress it with Oil and Vinegar before topping and heating, as hot mayo or lettuce is just disgusting (to me!)

But I also like what I call Flinstone Sammiches! You know, so basic, no frills, just bread, mayo or mustard, a slab of meat, maybe salt and pepper, and that's it. I hate turkey, unless it's ala the Flinstone style, or hot roast gravy sandwiches!
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: WHAT MAKES YOUR SANDWICH BETTER THAN ANYONES ELSES 2006/04/18 12:31:56 (permalink)
    I agree with Fieldthistle and Theedge: love and construction technique are very important. I think a sandwich ought to have a condiment on each piece of bread - better to hold the "stuff" inside.
    I like mustard *and* mayo on my ham and cheese, but only mayo on turkey, chicken or roast beef. We encountered sandwiches in Ireland made with butter. Different and tasty! Grilled sandwiches are called "toasties" there. And speaking of grilled sandwiches - my husband make the very best grilled cheese sandwiches in the world!
    Oh boy! thems fightin' words!
    It's probably like Fieldthistle said:it's 'cause *he* makes them, and I love him and he loves me! We are thinking about experimenting with our George Foreman grill for toasted sandwiches. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Hope all this helps the original posted and isn't just noise (vs. signal).
    Cathy

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1