The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
davetoo

• Total Posts: 45
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Sat, 10/2/04 5:10 PM (permalink)
Tmiles knows fried clams. My wife and I checked out Scales in Millbury this afternoon. The clams and scallops were fantastic. No more trips to Dube's in Salem or the Clam Box in Ipswich! The onion rings were probably the best we have ever had. I highly recommend Scales Restaurant in Millbury, MA.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
    RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
    There is another place I didn't mention, because I had not been there in a couple of years. I'll mention it now because we ate at CJ's yesterday. They are on Rt 20 in Monson Mass. Ph 283 2196 (sorry no area code on placemat) They are not as good as Scales,in my opinion, but they are very worth visiting. I had the hot lobster roll that costs 10.95. I made it "Delux" with a pile of fries and a very nice cole slaw for 13.95. The lobster was on a grilled hotdog roll with melted butter on the side. The lobster itself was not prebuttered. My honey got the fish and chips. The portion was huge, and the fish was served tidbit size. We both got a very crisp salad with a wonderful blue cheese dressing for only a dollar. (with meal) Unlike some restaurants in the area, this place does not charge extra for the blue cheese dressing. I didn't try the fried clams, but others were ordering them. A steady flow of them was being served. They were also serving a lot of the special, a 10 oz strip steak at 9.95. This is a sitdown restaurant with friendly servers, paper place mats (the kind with ads), and dishes, not paper plates. The prices were very reasonable.

tbird970

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 12:32 PM (permalink)
      Putnams pantry is still open

• Total Posts: 222
        RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 12:48 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Hepcat

Any specific recommendations in the Kennebunkport to Portland, Maine area?

Try Newick's in South Portland, on Broadway near the million-dollar bridge.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
          RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 2:35 PM (permalink)
          You might find things still open at Old Orchard beach.
          Year round, the Arundel Seafood Ctr., Rt 1 Arundel, just north of Kennebunk has excellant seafood.
          Also the Maine Diner, on Route 1, just before the turn off on Rt 9 to kennebunkport, does well with seafood.
          For Portland restaurants, try www.foodinportland.com
          Clam places still tend to be seasonal.

davetoo

• Total Posts: 45
            RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 3:08 PM (permalink)
            Before you get to Portland, for fried clams, Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery has great clams (onion rings also). It's right next to the Kittery Trading Post on Route 1. You won't be dissapointed and it is open year round.

Dr Bert

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 3:31 PM (permalink)
              Clam Box without a doubt is tops. After a 10 day tour of NE coast, the Box beats out other Roadfood stops. Dont forget their clam chowder, it's excellent!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 3:48 PM (permalink)
                I liked davetoo's comment about Bob's being open year around. That is important! It is easy to get good or great fried clams in the summer around coastal New England, but what are we to do in winter? I want my clams in January as much as in July. I may miss some, but in this thread, the only year around places I remember are Bob's, CJ's, Harry's and Scales. I am sure there are others. (Mrs O's, a place that I have not visited is reviewed on this site, and is also year around) Maybe we should start a new thread for year around clams.

Mark in Ohio

• Total Posts: 181
                  RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? Mon, 10/25/04 4:08 PM (permalink)
                  If you happen to be in Maine during July, the Yarmouth Clam festival is certainly worth a stop.....at Yarmouth of course...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com