The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 9:36 PM (permalink)
Most of us amateur Chef's like to have good SHARP knives, but it's becoming harder to find shops who do a good job of sharpening. I thought I would start this thread as an opportunity for anyone to post good shops around the country so our fellow roadfooders could keep a good edge on their Ginzu's! Here's my contribution in the Phoenix area: http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
    RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 9:44 PM (permalink)
    I have a wonderful knife sharpener who keeps my knives in excellent condition...My sweet husband .

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 9:47 PM (permalink)
      I do my own, less them hollow, very expensive knives that I wont touch... (Thanks to fellow members here warning me)..

Luvstoeat

• Total Posts: 88
        RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 10:11 PM (permalink)
        In the Chicago area.....Northwestern Cutlery. Couple bucks per knife and they do them while you wait. I make the trip two or three times a year.

http://www.northwesterncutlery.net/

cmarie

• Total Posts: 45
          RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 10:15 PM (permalink)
          when i used to live in Los Angeles there was a great guy at the farmers markets. know i am trying to upkeep them on my own, but might take them to a professional

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
            RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Sun, 10/7/07 11:31 PM (permalink)
            The Henry Westphal Company at their new location, 115 West 25th Street, Manhattan. They have a sign at their new location that reads "Welcome FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) students." They sharpen scissors for the rag trade and knives for just about anyone.

Foodbme

RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 12:31 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by iqdiva

I have a wonderful knife sharpener who keeps my knives in excellent condition...My sweet husband .

How much does he charge

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 1:35 AM (permalink)
                ask your local butcher........................ at my neighborhood supper market Nob Hill Foods, the meat dept. will sharpen your knives free........ Bring them in today and pick them up tomorrow ...

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
                  RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 7:51 AM (permalink)
                  Every December, the WUSTHOF distributor in my area (lower Hudson Valley) has a clearance sale. Great bargains can be found on overruns, discontinued and blemished items.
                  But the biggest bargain: professional sharpening for a buck a knife.
                  I keep my kitchen knives "refreshed" through the year by using a two-sided "draw-through" sharpener; but the annual professional sharpening is what really gives them the best possible edge. And it lasts remarkably well.
                  Ron

cmarie

• Total Posts: 45
                    RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 8:34 AM (permalink)
                    HOw do you know when date of the sale is? Can i find it online or do they have a mailing list?

thanks!

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
                      RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 11:28 AM (permalink)
                      WUSTHOF advertises the end-of-year clearance in the local papers pretty well. Check the JOURNAL NEWS, the Bedford Record and the No. Westchester Express beginning in November.
                      The WUSTHOF corporate office is in Briarcliff Manor, NY; their website should also have the info when the time comes.
                      ZWILLING-HENCKELS on Route 9A in Hawthorne, NY also has a clearance sale around that time.
                      Happy shopping & happy cooking.
                      Ron
                      (Hey- both of these companies should send me a nice gift basket!)

007bond-jb

• Total Posts: 923
                        RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 12:09 PM (permalink)
                        I use my Chefs Choice model 120.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                          RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 12:34 PM (permalink)
                          I would look in the Yellow Pages and try to find a professional knife sharpener. Someone who sharpens (on a wheel) for restaurants.
                          Not knowing exactly where Gilbert, Arizona is, I would reccommend you get a Yellow Pages for the nearest "large city" to look in.
                          If you are a frequent customer at a good restaurant, ask the chef where he gets his knives sharpened. They almost all have to have their knives professionally sharpened at sometime or other.
                          I know, here in Dallas, there is a man who sharpens knives on a wheel in his truck. He caters to the restaurants and people in the know.

Just noticed, "sizz" has a good suggestion above.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 4:11 PM (permalink)
                            My uncle sharpens mine, he is very finicky about his blades of knives, axes and chain saws.

He sharpens them all and YIKES they are sharp when he is done.

tmizerek

• Total Posts: 77
                              RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 4:43 PM (permalink)
                              My wife bought Cutco knives back in 1969. We send them in every five year or so for a free sharpening. www.cutco.com

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Mon, 10/8/07 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Foodbme

Most of us amateur Chef's like to have good SHARP knives, but it's becoming harder to find shops who do a good job of sharpening. I thought I would start this thread as an opportunity for anyone to post good shops around the country so our fellow roadfooders could keep a good edge on their Ginzu's! Here's my contribution in the Phoenix area: http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com

Perfect! thanks for the tip, and even in my neck of the woods!

DD

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                                  RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Tue, 10/9/07 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                  Does anyone know one know where I can get a wooden handle replaced on a knife? I'm in the Chicago area and I've already called NW Cutlery and they don't do it. I'd be willing to mail it somewhere if needed.

Foodbme

RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Tue, 10/9/07 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by abe_froeman

Does anyone know one know where I can get a wooden handle replaced on a knife? I'm in the Chicago area and I've already called NW Cutlery and they don't do it. I'd be willing to mail it somewhere if needed.

What Brand is it? If it's Chicago Cutlery, go to http://www.chicagocutlery.com

Also Google Chicago Cutlery and you'll get info on Knife stuff in the Chicago area.

Foodbme

RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Tue, 10/9/07 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
                                      Originally posted by Foodbme

Perfect! thanks for the tip, and even in my neck of the woods!

DD

DD--- No one can say you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!!

Foodbme

RE: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED? Tue, 10/9/07 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                        Here's another good place in the Phoenix AZ area - Az Cutlery & Sharpening,12620 N. Cave Creek Rd. Suite #4 ยท Phoenix, AZ 85022. http://www.arizonacutlery.com

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com