The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ??

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Tue, 10/7/03 3:04 PM (permalink)
Is there a recommendation of a family-friendly, dutch-country / Amish restaurant in or around York, Pennsylvania where two families could meet this weekend (as middle-ground) including possibly nearby places where the kids could run around afterwards (and thereby fall asleep on the way home)?

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, foodies!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
    RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Tue, 10/7/03 5:01 PM (permalink)
    I really do not know of any place like you want in York.......you would have to travel about 30 miles east to find a place like you want and then it would be a hard choice as to what place to go to!

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
      RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Wed, 10/8/03 1:08 AM (permalink)
      Nope,no Amish Penn-Dutch places in York County that I know.You can get a darn good thin-crust pizza at Marino's on East Market St headed toward Hellam Township.Also the ribs at the Corner Stable are very good,to get there you have to get off 83 at Leader Hts. Road.I think the ribs are kind of expensive but sometimes they have specials.Or if you want some Diner food I prefer the Round the Clock Diner on 30 Westbound over the Starlite Diner on 30 Eastbound.Or you can go further west to Gettysburg and get probably the best pizza in South Central PA at an unassuming little place called Tommy's Pizza right across the street from the historic battlefield.I have always heard good things about the Central Family Restaurant on N George St in York but have never been there.Its supposed to be cheap and comforting.There is also a "chain" of small tavern/restaurants in South Central PA called "Gingerbread Man" that has always satisfied me.
      But as the other poster said if you really want a Penn-Dutch type restaurant drive another 30 miles East on Rt 30,to Lancaster county, and you will be confronted with a plethora of such places with pretty consistent quality and quantity.I never left one of those places any less than stuffed.
      Bill
      Georgetown DE

i95

RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Wed, 10/8/03 7:15 AM (permalink)
        Thanks for the feedback but now the more obvious inquiry:

OK, if I now need to drive @ 30 more miles east to Lancaster County, WHICH Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant is the most preferred (Bird-in-Hand, Good & Plenty, etc.)? Help !

i95

RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Wed, 10/8/03 7:29 AM (permalink)
          BTW, Central Family Restaurant has a web site (http://www.eatatcentral.com/index.htm) but if anyone has actually been there, their testimonials would be welcome. Thanks!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Wed, 10/8/03 8:56 AM (permalink)
            For your first time especially with the kid-thing, try the Willow Valley, in Willow Street just south of Lancaster. They have a huge smorgasbord and shopping and things for the kids. If you want to do the Amish routine, try Miller's or Good and Plenty east of Lancaster, where you'll find touristy things to do.

Argent

• Total Posts: 125
              RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Wed, 10/8/03 9:57 AM (permalink)
              You might try Krieders ,
              Its a Penn dutch Style diner Just west of Lancaster on rt 30 ,
              Good homemade baked goods and ice cream

John from Pa.

• Total Posts: 34
                RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Sun, 10/12/03 2:17 PM (permalink)
                The "locals" go to the Shady Maple buffet in Blue Ball on Rt 23. Also next to a giant grocery store. Good selection & variety of foods & lots of "Pa. Dutch" style desserts.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                  RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Sun, 10/12/03 5:28 PM (permalink)
                  I'll go with the Shady Maple or Akron Diner that is reviewed on this site but if you want the absolute authentic deal go to the Green Dragon Market only open on Friday's to experience one-on-one Amish fare at the food stands. I lived in the neighboring community of Ephrata for a few years and Green Dragon was as close to real Amish that you can get and it's dirt cheap!

http://www.greendragonmarket.com

Chumley

• Total Posts: 182
                    RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Sun, 10/12/03 9:38 PM (permalink)
                    I know I'm posting this way too late for your trip and it isn't what you were asking for but if you're in York, PA you must go to Handel's for ice cream. It's on Queen Street, just south of the Queen Street exit on I83. It's simply about the best ice cream I've ever had. The Chocolate Raspberry Truffle sends shivers of delight down my spine! My wife and I frequently drive nearly three hours each way from our home in suburban Philadelphia just to stock up on this stuff. When we serve it to friends, they literally flip out -- it's that good! It's a small chain, based in Eastern Ohio but York is the eastern most outpost of the chain. No trip to PA Dutch country is complete without Handel's for me!

i95

RE: WHERE TO EAT IN YORK, PA ?? Mon, 10/13/03 7:39 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks, y'all! Ended up staying in York (versus traveling the additional 30 miles east and doing the Lancaster thing) and, in as much, answered my own, original inquiry.

If in York on a Saturday, the place to be is the Central Market House (http://www.centralmarkethouse.com/) -- an indoors farmer's / baker's / restaurant market with everything from homemade pies, pretzels, breads to locally-grown produce. In addition, and as I've learned previously when travelling through this neck of the woods, no stop is complete without a visit to the Stauffer's cookie factory store in the heart of York (http://www.stauffers.net/default.asp).

Where else but this "seconds paradise" are you going to find either a large bag of chocolate chip cookies for 50-cents or clear bags of about 75-percent ginger snaps and about 25-percent macaroons which fell off of a nearby conveyor belt? Highly recommended!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com