WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ???

Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
  • Location: Sin City, VA
  • Status: offline
2004/01/13 14:08:27 (permalink)

WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ???

Any recommendations on where to eat (lunch / dinner) in Farmville, Virginia ? What about Charlottesville ?

I know about C'ville's Bodo's, Tiffany Seafood, White Spot but wanted to get any current updates or at least places on or near Routes 29 and or 15 between Charlottesville and Farmville. Thanks!
#1

15 Replies Related Threads

    Gypsy Bob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Joined: 2004/01/07 14:42:00
    • Location: Wilmington, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/13 15:06:47 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago we ate at "Charley's" (not the franchise outfit) in Farmville. It's an attractive place in an old tobacco warehouse, and they had a varied menu, really good service, and a Red Pepper and Crabmeat Soup that was to die for! Plus, it's a neat little town for an after-dinner stroll!
    #2
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    • Joined: 2003/07/24 13:17:00
    • Location: Oxford, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/13 15:10:26 (permalink)
    There's a nice Italian restaurant called Ferrugio's in Charlottesville. Not too expensive and very good pasta dishes :)

    Ah Charlottesville--brings back memories!
    #3
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    • Joined: 2003/05/28 11:17:00
    • Location: Howardsville, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/13 15:36:54 (permalink)
    Yay! I love Farmville! THe best place is in Dillwyn, between C-ville and Farmville. It's aclled Theresa's Place and it's on Rt.15 (towards Farmville) next to the Star Motel. They have a great breakfast buffett and I hear their dinners are really good. Prices are very reasonable and it's got that small-town non atmosphere charm.

    If you want to stop in Scottsville, which is on 20, try the Dew Drop Inn or Lumpkins.

    I live near Scottsville and work in Charlottesville. Unfortunatly I have NOT been bowled over by Charlottesville restaurants. They all seem too expensive. Outside of C-ville, if you're heading up 29, there's the Lafayette Inn in Stanardsville, and it's gorgeous.

    My best recommendation is Theresa's Place. Dillwyn is a trip!

    If you have any ?'s, please let me know. And if you're heading through Scottsville, let me know, too.

    Lynne
    #4
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/13 18:20:51 (permalink)
    These are great, folks. Thanks! My wife believes that she ate at Theresa's Place once but wasn't sure of the name.

    (Clear differentiation of true Road Fooders here. A TRUE Road Fooder would've written the restaurant's name down, taken pictures, shared the information on this site and put a gold star on a map somewhere. Friggin' spouses! They love when YOU drive. They love being TAKEN to researched Road Food finds. But can you get 'em to categorize these things[or put the toilet seat up/down, understand the 'FU Yankees' significance of both Clemens and Pettit going to Houston]? It's a losing battle.)


    Will post a follow-up if we, indeed, saunter out that way this weekend. Thanks, again!
    #5
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/18 14:27:34 (permalink)
    We stopped at Teresa's Place (no "h") yesterday for lunch en route to Farmville, Virginia (for five, yes five, hours of furniture shopping at Green Front Furniture -- I've never wanted to jump out of a window more ). A very good recommendation c/o this thread with excellent pinto bean soup and a lunch buffet offering fried white fish, fried chicken, "yam sticks," mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, salad bar all for just $ 6.95.

    On the return trip, we tried to have dinner at Lumpkins in historic Scottsville, Virginia (can't miss this place as it has a 12-foot rooster out front [clothier, try to resist the most obvious of puns here]) but -- for some reason -- it was all closed-up at 6 pm. Such threw us into looking at a couple of other Scottsville eateries including both Magnolia (having kids with us and seeing all of the stemware on the table made us run the other way) and Bocce (upscale pizza, etc.) before settling on Route 11's recommended Dew Drop Inn (or, as they say it in Scottsville, "the World Famous Dew Drop Inn") where we had very good charbroiled chicken dinners before taking the kids to Kohr Brothers for ice cream (complete with an indoor merry-go-round) in Charlottesville.

    The thrust, therefore, of this contribution is two-fold:

    thanks to all contributors for their valued recommendations;

    and that this is EXACTLY why this site is so invaluable as neither Teresa's Place nor the Dew Drop Inn have been reviewed in Road Food print publications -- and I would've, unfortunately buzzed right by both otherwise -- but, via contributors on this site, we dined at two new finds both unknown to us before yesterday but both "Road Food worthy."


    #6
    David Duck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Joined: 2003/11/11 19:37:00
    • Location: Arlington, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/18 16:19:06 (permalink)
    We love the Silver Pig so much that we served their barbecue and slaw at our wedding, along with chopped liver, lox, etc. A few years ago, a large plate was $4.75 and included hushpuppies. I've had a neighbor bring barbecue back when he visits family and the quality remains. The address is:

    Silver Pig Barbecue
    4835 South Amherst Hwy, Madison Heights, VA 24572
    (434) 846-5676
    http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt2f.htm

    In Charlottesville, we like Metropolitan, where I make a meal out the salad, foie gras and bread, followed by dessert. Good wine list too. Not really roadfood but good. The address:

    Metropolitain Restaurant
    214 West Water Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902
    (434) 977-1043
    http://www.metropolitain.com/
    #7
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/18 20:34:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David Duck

    We love the Silver Pig so much that we served their barbecue and slaw at our wedding, along with chopped liver, lox, etc. A few years ago, a large plate was $4.75 and included hushpuppies. I've had a neighbor bring barbecue back when he visits family and the quality remains. The address is:

    Silver Pig Barbecue
    4835 South Amherst Hwy, Madison Heights, VA 24572
    (434) 846-5676
    http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt2f.htm


    David,
    Is that place right on U. S. 29 coming in from Amherst, about halfway down the hill and on the left-hand side as you head toward Lynchburg? If so, I've eaten there, and can highly recommend it.
    The night before, I ate at Madison, Virginia in a place named Pig & Steak, right off U. S. 29 Bypass. It seemed to be the only restaurant in town that was open, but I wasn't the least bit disappointed. I need to get those notes out and verify the place names and locations just to be sure... I thought both were Most Sternable places, meaning that I'd take Jane & Michael there with no hesitation.
    Three Blocks From Old U. S. 29 Business As I Peck, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    #8
    David Duck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Joined: 2003/11/11 19:37:00
    • Location: Arlington, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/18 23:08:35 (permalink)
    You've found it Ort.! It's nice to get a concurrence on the Silver Pig. Their cole slaw is unusual because it has no mayonnaise. Biscuitville, across Route 29 & a little up the hill, is also worth a try--good country ham & egg biscuits.

    I'll have to try the Pig & Steak sometime.
    #9
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/19 06:49:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    We stopped at Teresa's Place (no "h") yesterday for lunch en route to Farmville, Virginia (for five, yes five, hours of furniture shopping at Green Front Furniture -- I've never wanted to jump out of a window more ). A very good recommendation c/o this thread with excellent pinto bean soup and a lunch buffet offering fried white fish, fried chicken, "yam sticks," mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, salad bar all for just $ 6.95.

    On the return trip, we tried to have dinner at Lumpkins in historic Scottsville, Virginia (can't miss this place as it has a 12-foot rooster out front [clothier, try to resist the most obvious of puns here]) but -- for some reason -- it was all closed-up at 6 pm. Such threw us into looking at a couple of other Scottsville eateries including both Magnolia (having kids with us and seeing all of the stemware on the table made us run the other way) and Bocce (upscale pizza, etc.) before settling on Route 11's recommended Dew Drop Inn (or, as they say it in Scottsville, "the World Famous Dew Drop Inn") where we had very good charbroiled chicken dinners before taking the kids to Kohr Brothers for ice cream (complete with an indoor merry-go-round) in Charlottesville.

    The thrust, therefore, of this contribution is two-fold:

    thanks to all contributors for their valued recommendations;

    and that this is EXACTLY why this site is so invaluable as neither Teresa's Place nor the Dew Drop Inn have been reviewed in Road Food print publications -- and I would've, unfortunately buzzed right by both otherwise -- but, via contributors on this site, we dined at two new finds both unknown to us before yesterday but both "Road Food worthy."





    Far be it from me to mention the size of a rooster.

    My question, and i do have one is ARE YOU NUTS?????????????????
    5 hours furniture shopping? With the kids? I hope it was worth it.


    The worst part about it is that we don't even need furniture. Where's that "Spousal Hell" thread ??
    #10
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    • Joined: 2003/05/28 11:17:00
    • Location: Howardsville, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/19 09:54:05 (permalink)
    Hey! Glad you swung through Scottsville. I live just to the west of it.
    Glad you liked Dew Drop Inn. I went to the Innwood in Gordonsville and had a two dollar breakfast on Sunday!
    And I'm glad to see a recommendation for Madison Heights. I'll be through there this weekend!
    #11
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/19 19:41:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

    No one "needs" furniture. You need a 42' plasma screen TV, you need the barcalounger to go with it.

    You don't need a new dining room set.


    Amen, my brother.
    #12
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/19 19:44:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Route 11

    Hey! Glad you swung through Scottsville. I live just to the west of it.
    Glad you liked Dew Drop Inn. I went to the Innwood in Gordonsville and had a two dollar breakfast on Sunday!
    And I'm glad to see a recommendation for Madison Heights. I'll be through there this weekend!


    Thanks again, Route 11. BTW, have you ever eaten at Magnolia in Scottsville ? It looked great.
    #13
    bravehearteire
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Joined: 2004/01/21 17:04:00
    • Location: Decatur, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/22 00:45:52 (permalink)
    Little John's Deli in downtown Charlottesville was always a great choice. Plus they have a Whole Foods Market there now. Great place for grocery shopping. But if you ever go through Roanoke, you have to go to Texas Tavern.....get a couple burgers with their special relish, a "Bowl with" (chili), and if you're still hungry try a Cheesy Western. Good Chili Dogs too.
    They may have a Macado's in Charlottesville. Great sandwiches!
    #14
    bravehearteire
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Joined: 2004/01/21 17:04:00
    • Location: Decatur, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/22 01:34:19 (permalink)
    And if you're near DC try Duck Changs in Annandale or the Fish Market in Oldtown Alexandria.
    #15
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: WHERE-2-EAT IN FARMVILLE, VA ??? 2004/01/22 07:43:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bravehearteire

    Little John's Deli in downtown Charlottesville was always a great choice. Plus they have a Whole Foods Market there now. Great place for grocery shopping. But if you ever go through Roanoke, you have to go to Texas Tavern.....get a couple burgers with their special relish, a "Bowl with" (chili), and if you're still hungry try a Cheesy Western. Good Chili Dogs too.
    They may have a Macado's in Charlottesville. Great sandwiches!


    Actually, they have the proverbial college town Macado's smack-dab in the town originating this thread, Farmville (home of Virginia's Longwood University). FYI.
    #16
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1