Waffle House

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 10:54:34 (permalink)
Maybe this is just me. If we can post about a restaurant, if other people can read our posts and comment on them, what difference does it make which forum contains them?
A lot of the chain vs. fast food vs. roadfood is semantics and judgement and honorable people may disagree. IMHO,nothing has changed significantly. Waffle House remains what it is and people will still write about it(and Scorereader will still hate it and Mr.Hoffman will still love it) and I will still read about it.
I like the changes because the people who hate off-topic posts will never even have to know they are here and the people who hate chains will be able to avoid the topic. So much of food criticism is subjective and I think the owners and moderators of this site do a good job and I wish people would stop worrying so much about details and just read about the restaurants.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 15:11:12 (permalink)
That, Mr. Chips, just about changed my mind.
Maybe the forums should be open to all places.
Heck, waffle house is at just about every exit in NC, SC, GA with more in VA, TN, etc.
So, it is road food in a way.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 15:22:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Heck, waffle house is at just about every exit in NC, SC, GA with more in VA, TN, etc.

In a way.

Heck, in a lot of ways.

Just not in the definition used on the home page kind of way.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 16:15:32 (permalink)
Of course, the "home page definition" doesn't define what fast food is
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 23:23:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/29 16:15:44 (permalink)
They have put up a waffle house at the 1st exit after us23 and 475 split in toldeo,oh that is about 2 miles from the michigan border. Does anyone know if they are in the process of building any off 23 or 75 in Monroe County Michigan?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/29 20:34:21 (permalink)
Why don't you just ask the people at Waffle House? http://www.wafflehouse.com/
huntryce
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/30 00:05:08 (permalink)
Even though Waffle House is franchised, I consider it roadfood. Every major road trip I've ever taken has included at least one stop at Wafflehouse. One at Shoney's too, but I digress.

That said, I don't give a flip what forum a particular restaurant falls in. It just doesn't matter to me.

A visit to a Wafflehouse is a visit to mainstream America. Depending on what time of day or night you visit, you will sit near bikers, hookers, truckers, families heading across country, partiers trying to take the edge off the alcohol, locals getting together for coffee and gossip, or simply a hungry soul looking for decent food.

What's even more fun than watching the customers is watching the waitresses interact with the cooks. Lord, I love to hear them shout out the orders in their special lingo. How do they remember all that? How does the cook keep it straight?

My most recent Wafflehouse experience was memorable in a rather sad way. I had escaped to a nearby town for the weekend. It was one year since my husband died, and I traveled to seek distraction. Sunday morning late I pulled into a WH just outside Greenville, SC. (After looking at many local non-chain places that were closed.) Feeling nostalgic and lonely, I felt the busy-ness of that place might lift my spirits.

Seated at the counter I was finally waited on by an unhappy waitress. Evidently she was being kept late because of several no-show staffers. At every chance I tried to engage her in a bit of conversation. No go. I tried to let her know it was ok and I understood. Nada.

She was not overly efficient; I had to request flatware after my food arrived. I had to remind her that I had ordered bacon too. But I continued to do so with smiles. She never reciprocated.

When I paid my bill she was at the register. Upon settling up I said, "Honey, I tried so hard to make you smile. If you had simply smiled once your tip would have been bigger."

THEN she smiled a bit and said, "That's ok."

If only she had known that I needed a smile from someone, anyone, that sad morning...
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/30 01:14:05 (permalink)
That was a good piece of writing
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/30 13:18:48 (permalink)
You know huntryce,I can understand your feelings. I love Waffle house, as everyone here already knows. But each time I go to one I am saddened by the fact that my wife, who enjoyed Waffle Houses with me, is no longer here. When she died, just over seven years ago, the people at our favorite Waffle House were very kind. But I have to say that even today, whenever I see an older couple sitting in a booth enjoying each other and the food I become a little angry. Not really at them, but at life.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/31 00:56:00 (permalink)
Michael and Huntryce, beautifully written.
huntryce
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Waffle House 2005/10/31 08:38:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

...whenever I see an older couple sitting in a booth enjoying each other and the food I become a little angry. Not really at them, but at life.

I have a similar reaction. Big pangs of jealousy. Just have to shake it off.

Thanks for the kind words, all.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1