Waffle House

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hollyshat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2004/03/23 21:29:02 (permalink)

Waffle House

A couple of years ago my family and I went on vacation to the lower states (live in Michigan) and discovered the best breakfast place around. At first we did not realize it was a chain only that it was the first one we had ever saw. Instantly we were in love. The food was A++ and the service was super friendly. I would love to know where there are more and recommend it to everyone looking for some great breakfast food. Whether there is anything beyond breakfast I do not know. Man did that place make the trip great!

41 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18464
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/23 21:38:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hollyshat

A couple of years ago my family and I went on vacation to the lower states (live in Michigan) and discovered the best breakfast place around. At first we did not realize it was a chain only that it was the first one we had ever saw. Instantly we were in love. The food was A++ and the service was super friendly. I would love to know where there are more and recommend it to everyone looking for some great breakfast food. Whether there is anything beyond breakfast I do not know. Man did that place make the trip great!

You can find Waffle House restaurants in these states nearest Michigan: Indiana, Ohio and Illinois.

You were correct when you found Waffle House to be a great place to eat breakfast. It certainly is. And, you can't go wrong with lunch and dinner, too. Why, a Waffle House Porterhouse, or a pair of pork chops, or even a couple of chicken breasts will be fine on your plate. And don't forget the Waffle House's patty melt, or the hamburgers (which you can get any way you want them), and even the chili, which is not, of course, real chili, is a great tasting treat.
    joe suspect
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/23 22:00:11 (permalink)
    I agree with y'all. The Waffle House rules. I drove from Houston to Ft Lauderdale and managed to eat 3 squares a day, all at the Waffle House.

Eggs, hash browns and pork chops. I never even had the waffles!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/23 22:51:59 (permalink)
    quote:

Never tried the Waffle House, though I've heard of them... About 10 or so years ago when I lived in Indianapolis there was this chain down there called the Omelet Shop (House?)(or something close to that)... Since we only went there after the bars closed at 3am I really cant report on their food quality but we did go there all the time... Might have been because they where open late, or maybe the food was good?.. But then what food is not good at 3am?? Oh well, since Ma's Kitchen in Grand Rapids closed years ago I'm stuck with Dennys for those late night breakfast munchies... (Ya, we also have Taco Bell and McDonalds open all night but they REALLY dont count!).. I guess Steak and Shake offers overnight food locally also, but yet to check out their overnight menu...
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/28 03:25:55 (permalink)
    When we go to the south it is a pleasure to visit a Waffle House. Wisconsin doesnt know what a Waffle House is.
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/30 17:05:14 (permalink)
    I believe that there are still Omelot shoppes in Alabama...We used to stop there for breakfast all the time while traveleing between Florida and Tennessee...Great breakfast...and service was excellent too.

Pappy
    BassMan12
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/30 17:22:47 (permalink)
    One of the things I like about Waffle Houses is the food consistency; quality-wise, especially. Living in Georgia, I pretty much grew up on Waffle House. It is always a comforting site while travelling the interstate system to see the yellow and black signs that signal a good, inexpensive place to eat no matter the time of day. One last question: since Waffle Houses are open 24 hours a day, why do they put locks on the doors?

Ed-from Sparta, MS (Covington, GA)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/30 18:07:17 (permalink)
    They put locks on the doors so they can keep the folks who are shooting at each other in the parking lot from getting in when they finish shooting. At least, that's the only time I've ever seen the door being locked.
    ToddMaca
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/30 19:56:46 (permalink)
    The best thing to get at the Waffle House is hash browns Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Topped, Diced and Peppered. For the newbies to Waffle House this means hash browns on the grill with onions, cheese, ham, chili, tomatoes, and peppers. Add a little Tobasco sauce and you have got yourself one heck of a great meal. You may also have heartburn, so watch yourself.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/30 20:29:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddMaca

The best thing to get at the Waffle House is hash browns Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Topped, Diced and Peppered. For the newbies to Waffle House this means hash browns on the grill with onions, cheese, ham, chili, tomatoes, and peppers. Add a little Tobasco sauce and you have got yourself one heck of a great meal. You may also have heartburn, so watch yourself.

Heartburn? Are U kidding?? I usually have a double order of same when I go to WH. Now..., if they ONLY had some good & (hot) SALSA...
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Waffle House 2004/03/31 13:26:19 (permalink)

Heartburn? Are U kidding?? I usually have a double order of same when I go to WH. Now..., if they ONLY had some good & (hot) SALSA...

WH salsa inhales(substitute Sxxxs) for inhale, please. Otherwise I like most of their food.
    rwschemquest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/08 14:22:04 (permalink)
    Best WAFFLE HOUSE breakfast for sure: 2 Eggs, Over Easy, Double order Hash Browns (scattered), bacon and WHITE toast. AND BLACK COFFEE !!!!

WAFFLE HOUSES in Columbus have just gotten even better with the passage of a total and complete smoking ban in all public places, including WAFFLE HOUSE.

(special note: above always tastes better between 3AM and 5AM)

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddMaca

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/08 14:27:23 (permalink)
    Frankly, I miss the smoke in Waffle House restaurants. It sort of spoiled my lunch yesterday of a rare double patty melt with hashbrowns scattered, smothered, peppered and topped. For some reason, the Waffle House in Westerville is now no-smoking. Bah! Humbug! And I don't smoke.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/08 17:08:42 (permalink)
    The wife finally got home from work last night and we headed out to eat, when asked what she was in the mood for her reply was atypical.."I don't care". We had a gator drownin rain storm goin on and the closest place is Waffle House, is there anything better than a table full of breakfast foods at 8pm? I don't know but I dove into this nirvana of gastronomical delight like a hawg inna corn bin....
    kipnita
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/11 18:17:25 (permalink)
    A true (cute) story re the Waffle House. B4 the WH chain moved to SW Louisiana I had visited several in the Baton Rouge/Port Allen area (usually in the early a.m. while attending LSU and majoring in barology). I like my hashbrowns "all the way" and had described them to my girlfriend (now wife) as "smothered mothers". While traveling we stopped at a WH and I asked my girlfriend to order while I went to the restroom. I wanted a waffle with a double order of "smothered mothers". When I returned from the facilities my gal was somewhat redfaced. She had attempted to order "smothered mothers" and the waittress was somewhat perplexed with the order! We still laugh at this snafu. WH has decent food, reasonably priced and I can verify that it does taste better 3-5 a.m.
    rwschemquest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/11 18:28:12 (permalink)
    We have quite a few Waffle Houses scattered (no pun intended) around the Columbus, OH area and now that Columbus has a total no smoking law in place for all restaurants, bars, etc. WH has become a much more pleasant place.

A couple weeks ago I was returning from a business trip and my flight was late (guess which airline starting with US was to blame) and I didn't get in until about 3:15AM. After getting my car and heading out the hunger pains began and I stopped at the WH at the corner of Rt 161 and Westerville Rd. Pulling in about 4AM on a Wed night was unusual for me, but I noticed the place looked pretty busy. I went in and no booths were available so I sat at the counter and had quite an entertaining time waiting for my regular (eggs over easy, bacon, double order hash browns -- scattered, white toast and black decaf) to be cooked. Turns out that I was the only customer in the place that wasn't a hooker. Seems they work shifts and must have all just gotten off work. Interesting conversations all around.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/11 19:15:59 (permalink)
    quote:

Has anyone noticed that this person has not made a post since 03/23/04?????
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Waffle House 2005/04/12 01:04:11 (permalink)
    No, but I did notice that depending on where you split this person's name leads to interesting speculation.....

Holly's hat
    Holly shat

WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Waffle House 2005/05/06 17:37:58 (permalink)
    quote:

I live here in metro detroit, closest waffle house is in toledo, got 2 there, 1 in perrysburg, and all down I 75 in Ohio. Indiana ones are in Indianapolis. I am going to Bowling Green Ohio tommorrow, I will eat at Waffle House.
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/25 16:10:36 (permalink)
    The absolute best breakfast ever is a pecan waffle, double order of hash browns smothered, covered, topped and capped with a side of bacon all washed down with a Coke.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/25 16:26:29 (permalink)
    Alright Poopy - are you resurrecting this thread to be a wise guy?

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/25 16:28:29 (permalink)
    Oh! thank god!. This thread was moved to Fast Food.

I can give it the "wanderingjew" review now!

[|)][|)][|)]
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 10:41:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Oh! thank god!. This thread was moved to Fast Food.

I can give it the "wanderingjew" review now!

[|)][|)][|)]
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 12:47:34 (permalink)
    Why should posts about Waffle House be in Fast Food. It's not fast food. Everything is cooked to order, and they'll even prepare food not on the menu at the request of customers. If Waffle House is fast food then by golly, Morton's and Ruth's Chris belong here, too.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 13:16:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Why should posts about Waffle House be in Fast Food. It's not fast food. Everything is cooked to order, and they'll even prepare food not on the menu at the request of customers. If Waffle House is fast food then by golly, Morton's and Ruth's Chris belong here, too.

Well, my definition of fast food is where they serve many "drive-thru" customers and have 100's of restaurants blighting the landscape. They serve "ho hum" to dreadful food for a very cheap price. All chain restaurants are NOT fast food. Why, the last time I tried to get in The Outback Steakhouse, I was told it would be a 45 minute wait!" />" />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 13:36:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Well, my definition of fast food is where they serve many "drive-thru" customers and have 100's of restaurants blighting the landscape. They serve "ho hum" to dreadful food for a very cheap price. All chain restaurants are NOT fast food. Why, the last time I tried to get in The Outback Steakhouse, I was told it would be a 45 minute wait!" />" />

Show me a Waffle House with a drive-through. Show me a Waffle House where you don;t often have to wait up to an hour for a booth or seat at the counter.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 13:57:05 (permalink)
    move to Missouri.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/26 16:59:46 (permalink)
    From reading the Forums section, I think ALL major chains will end up here and the catagory will change names.

Waffle House is definately deserving of a lowly chain forum along with other b'fast chains and McD's, BK, Arby's etc.

Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 09:24:07 (permalink)
    A few years back Carrols Corp, or an off-shoot thereof, attempted to copy the Waffle House concept with a chain a "WaffleWorks" restaurants...I beleive they are all closed now....We ate in the one in Cortland, NY. It was ok, a little pricey I thought. That location was bought and re-opened as a second location for a local mediocre diner, and I believe is now closed again.
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Waffle House 2005/10/27 09:29:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Alright Poopy - are you resurrecting this thread to be a wise guy?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1