Waffle House on Christmas Day

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2009/12/31 00:28:50 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Good help is hard to find. After reading this post it dawned on me that the Waffle Houses I frequent are staffed by white or black Americans. No Hispanics which I found strange being as Columbus has a high Hispanic population. Also one needs to understand how to order food at a Waffle House to insure success. A few tips are:

1. I order waffles well done
2. I order my hashbrowns scattered so they are a little drier.
3. Sit at the counter and watch them prepare plates. Every plate is coded so the cook knows what it is.
4. They don't clean the tables real well so I make sure that I place silverware on the napkins provided on the tables.
5. Everything comes on its own plate so you must consolidate onto one plate.
6. Booths are tight for 4 adults. Some have tables or take the counter.
7. Tell them not to overcook the sausage.
8. Make sure you try the grits

I am sure others have additional tips. If I ever open a place that serves breakfast I would hunt down a Waffle House cook and hire them. Some are amazing to watch. A seasoned cook makes no mess and can handle a full restaurant by themselves. A packed well run Waffle House is something to be seen.

...Russ

AMEN Russ! 
A Top Notch WH Cook is like watching Poetry-In-Motion!
Listening to a WH Waitress call in her order is a Symphony
Walking in the door and hearing ALL the Employees saying unison, "Good Morning" is like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing The Hallaluha(SP) Chorus
It don't get no better than that!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/12/31 00:35:01
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/04 10:58:20 (permalink)
Hallelujah

you can even use Google to find that out, when in doubt.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/04 11:02:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

MH: I was happy to find the mayo. I found it odd it was UNDER 1/2 of the sandwich, instead of in view on the side fo the plate. I didn't see the packet until after I had already eaten most of the other half that wasn't on top of the mayo. I used ketchup - which was fine. I certainly didn't find it odd that they served mayo. I found it odd it was under the sandwich.

As I said, they put the mayonnaise packet on the plate, along with the pickle chips, when the order is called. I assume that when the sandwich was plated it covered the packet accidentally. That is, I doubt that they covered it up purposely so that you wouldn't find it. Of course, never having been to that Waffle House restaurant, I can't honestly say that they didn't do it in order to try to make your visit miserable.

I, too, doubt it was on purpose.

However, since I've never ordered the BLT before, and I didn't see the mayo on my plate, I didn't know it was there.  Next time I'll know, if I don't see mayo, to look under my sandwhich. It's not a huge issue, because I put a dab of ketchup on the sandwich, and that was fine.

Speaking of pickle chips, my son had pickles for the first time, there. He liked the pickle chips. I almost forgot about the pickle chips, because he got them all.

RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/19 22:15:03 (permalink)
After my experience in the WH in Florence KY on Thanksgiving morning last year, I may never set foot in one again. We stopped for b'fast there at 7AM as we do every Thanksgiving, on our way to Tennessee to visit close friends. I was watching the 'cook' fix my omelet. He scooped it off the flattop and placed it on the plate with my hashbrowns, then apparently saw something on the plate that did not belong there. He wiped his BARE hands on his not-too-clean apron, then picked up the omelet in his hands and put it on another plate, dropping half the filling on the counter - which he also picked up bare-handed and stuffed it back into the omelet. To top that off, he then wiped his hands on his apron again and transferred the hashbrowns to the new plate. When the waitress brought me the plate, I refused to touch it and told her why. Her comment - 'his hands are clean, he's the cook'. Turns out she was the shift manager also, so no help there. As you might expect, we left. Two emails to WH hq were not answered, a complaint by phone to the 'restaurant' was likewise ignored. So, since they choose to ignore me, I will return the favor and ignore Waffle House.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 00:58:13 (permalink)
Roadkill Bill

After my experience in the WH in Florence KY on Thanksgiving morning last year, I may never set foot in one again. We stopped for b'fast there at 7AM as we do every Thanksgiving, on our way to Tennessee to visit close friends. I was watching the 'cook' fix my omelet. He scooped it off the flattop and placed it on the plate with my hashbrowns, then apparently saw something on the plate that did not belong there. He wiped his BARE hands on his not-too-clean apron, then picked up the omelet in his hands and put it on another plate, dropping half the filling on the counter - which he also picked up bare-handed and stuffed it back into the omelet. To top that off, he then wiped his hands on his apron again and transferred the hashbrowns to the new plate. When the waitress brought me the plate, I refused to touch it and told her why. Her comment - 'his hands are clean, he's the cook'. Turns out she was the shift manager also, so no help there. As you might expect, we left. Two emails to WH hq were not answered, a complaint by phone to the 'restaurant' was likewise ignored. So, since they choose to ignore me, I will return the favor and ignore Waffle House.

PICKY, PICKY, PICKY.
You were lucky you could find a place open on Thanksgiving Morning. How would you feel if you had to work on Thanksgiving AM? Tell me you never dropped a piece of food on the floor, picked it up, rinsed it off and acted like it never happened.
"Apparently saw something on the plate that did not belong there." Thank God he caught it! It might have killed you! Have you ever picked up any food with your bare hands and handled it before serving it?? Personally, I wear latex gloves in my home kitchen to meet health code standards all the time. Get off your High Horse and get real. If the WH Grill were not exposed to God and everybody and you ate at a place that had a "Backroom" Kitchen, you never would have known the difference. What goes on in a kitchen you can't see would blow your mind to the point that you would NEVER eat out again---Including 5 Star Restaurants! It's Waffle House---That's the way they roll. Get over it! I have never heard of anyone dying from eating their food!
With a handle like "Roadkill Bill', I can't imagine how you could be critical of any food establishment!!! Anyone who eats "Roadkill" can't possibly criticize anything!
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/01/20 01:12:46
Play27
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 07:45:21 (permalink)
I've worked in enough restaraunts to know that if you pay too much attention to how food is prepared you would never eat out. Personally, there are some people home's I won't eat in for the same reason. I try not to pay too much attention but some things you just can't overlook. They should have re-made her order. Nuff said.
Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 12:39:39 (permalink)
I guess I give too much credit.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 12:44:13 (permalink)
Just as a general FYI: The Waffle Houses here in Ohio require all those who handle food to wear disposable plastic gloves, and to change them often.

EDIT:

Let me amend that. I am speaking about the vast majority of Waffle House restaurants in Ohio. There are some in the southern part of the state owned by another franchisee, and I've been to just one of those several years ago and did not notice.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/01/20 13:08:14
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 13:04:50 (permalink)
Play27

I guess I give too much credit.

To Whom?? For What??
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 14:57:19 (permalink)
Foodbme

Scorereader

I'm assuming that Foodbme's entire post is a farce.

No, Dear Scorereader, It is a sarcastic retort to Roadkill Bill's post. It is he who is the farce!

I don't think a person can be a farce.

let me rephrase, I'm assuming that you're only kidding and that you don't really think that it's ok for a restaurant to "drop a piece of food on the floor, pick it up, rinse it off and act like it never happened"  simply because, to your knowledge, no one has ever died from that. I'm assuming you're joking when you imply that WH is somehow exempt from critical review of their kitchen practices simply because the kitchen is in view. And, I find it hard to believe that you really think that just because people cook their food at home without latex gloves, that it's ok for WH to use their bare hands to handle food in the manner described by RKBill.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 15:02:03 (permalink)
Amen brother!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 17:30:51 (permalink)
Heck..................there are many horror stories that can be told about many restaurants on any given day.  I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      remember  one time that we went to a sparkling  clean,  shiny  diner  with  a two mile long menu.  The place was full of happy people.  We elected to sit at the counter as I love to watch these  expert  grill cooks.   A waitress came over to pick up an order.  She  grabbed a plate for the  grill cook  to  put the  scramed eggs on.       WAIT...................She sees something on this plate.  Instead of  putting it with  dirty dishes,  she  busily  scrapes away with her fingernail to get  something off the plate.  After she  scrapes away,  she  picks up  a dish cloth  and  scrubs for a while  and then hads the plate to the grill cook.

She has the egg put on the plate and adds some toast  and  delivers it to a  small child  sitting in a booth with his parents.   Sorry folks.................things like this happen in a lot of places.
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/20 18:44:00 (permalink)
These things may well happen - but I do not have to tolerate it if I see it. I have no control over what happens in the backroom kitchen, if I worried about that I would never eat out. 

Have a nice day!
post edited by Tony Bad - 2010/01/21 13:16:57
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 02:09:57 (permalink)
OK - OK! Enough said---Points made:
Yes--- Bad Things happen in restaurants, both seen & unseen
Yes--- If it's seen, you don't need to tolerate it.
Yes---If it's not seen, just eat your food & if it tastes good and if you don't get sick--Be Happy!
End of discussion!!
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/01/21 02:12:09
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 06:45:04 (permalink)
Roadkill I agree with you. If I think the place is doing stuff that might make me sick. I will walk out and move on to somewgere else. I will also tell them the place is a mess either by talking to the manager or calling the corporate office. I did it to a Big Boy once and soon after they remodeled the place and replaced everyone. Now the place is spotless. I am sure I was not the only one that complained. The bathrooms of a place will usually tell the story. If they are a mess so is the kitchen....Russ
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 09:06:07 (permalink)
Foodbme

OK - OK! Enough said---Points made:

Yes--- If it's seen, you don't need to tolerate it.

Glad you've changed your tune. 
It's wrong for a restaurant, whether or not the patrons see it or not, to tolerate unsafe food handling practices.

post edited by Scorereader - 2010/01/21 09:13:33
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 14:39:08 (permalink)
If it's okay for the cooks at fine restaurants to handle the food while plating it, I don't see the horror of Waffle House cooks doing so.

I imagine the complaintants would never eat at this place:

That's Domalise's Po-Boys in New Orleans, as pictured in the Roadfood.com review.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 14:46:54 (permalink)
She is a slob! Why would anyone handle food that way? Please do not try to defend those practices. Now way that wood plank can be cleaned enough to stop ecoli. But if the food was good I would eat it. Still no excuse to handle food in such a way....Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/01/21 14:49:29
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 17:15:28 (permalink)
I would not be eating that po-boy.

Aside from the bare hands, she also is wearing a wedding ring that clearly has been in contact with the food. Rings fester more bacteria that anyone would care to eat.

Look, 50 years ago, we didn't think of this stuff. And who knows if there are more communicable diseases yesterday or today, but it doesn't matter; times have changed, so lets keep practicing safe food handling, from dive to linen service.

post edited by Scorereader - 2010/01/22 10:27:35
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/21 21:38:41 (permalink)
WOW! evidently you 2 guys have never eaten out before the 90's.
get over it. you've eaten worse stuff when you were a kid.
maxcriden
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 02:46:57 (permalink)
For those Waffle House aficionados present, I thought you might be interested in this pretty cool picture I came across:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray/378694469/

It's a Waffle House cheat sheet for the cooks, with further details at the link. Pretty neat system!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 03:55:51 (permalink)
maxcriden

For those Waffle House aficionados present, I thought you might be interested in this pretty cool picture I came across:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray/378694469/

It's a Waffle House cheat sheet for the cooks, with further details at the link. Pretty neat system!

Very Interesting1 I've often wondered how they kept all their orders straight! Thank you!
When I lived in Pensacola FL, we had a Great Breakfast place , The Coffee Cup, and they had a Grill CHEF, (A home grown Chef, but nevertheless a Chef), named Creolla. She's been there for years. The Waitresses would call out their orders, nothing written down for her to look at, and she would crank out those orders on her flat top and 2 gas burners like it was a stroll in the park. She'd have 15-20 orders going at the same time. Absolutely beautiful to watch her play that flat top and those two burners like it was a fine musical instrument.               
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 08:52:26 (permalink)
sk bob

WOW! evidently you 2 guys have never eaten out before the 90's.
get over it. you've eaten worse stuff when you were a kid.

True, but we have learned a few things since then...

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 11:58:29 (permalink)
well, sk bob, I also wear a seat belt, something that we didn't have to do back in the good ol' days. I guess times change. Today, I like my food to not be mauled by the bare hands of the cook.

"get over it?" ok, I'll get over it as soon as you get into a high speed crash without a seat belt.

Of course, I don't really wish that upon you. I wish you'd wear your seat belt and practice today's safety standards (and the law). That way, you're safe in the unfortunate event you do get into a crash. In the same way, I wish upon my food handlers to follow today's safe food preparation standards (and the law) in case, in the unfortunate event, there is something wrong with with the food or their hands.

Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 12:34:14 (permalink)
As long as the Chef washes his/her hands I'm OK.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 12:50:43 (permalink)
Scorereader

well, sk bob, I also wear a seat belt, something that we didn't have to do back in the good ol' days. I guess times change.

Gee, I've been wearing seat belts since the 1950s. But perhaps those aren't old enough good old days for you.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 13:16:40 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

well, sk bob, I also wear a seat belt, something that we didn't have to do back in the good ol' days. I guess times change.

Gee, I've been wearing seat belts since the 1950s. But perhaps those aren't old enough good old days for you.

nope. you were just smarter than me.

maybe I'm the dummy for which they wrote the seatbelt laws.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 13:34:29 (permalink)
Scorereader

Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

nope. you were just smarter than me.

maybe I'm the dummy for which they wrote the seatbelt laws.

It occurred to me back then that there must be a reason why I had to wear belts when racing stock cars and sports cars. So I figured it might be a good idea to wear them whenever I was driving. My vehicles do not move if everyone is not strapped in.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 13:59:41 (permalink)
I ALWAYS wear my Seat Belt while eating in a Waffle House. You never know when a Grill Cook is going to go Postal and start throwing Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Scattered Hash Browns all over the place! 
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Waffle House on Christmas Day 2010/01/22 14:21:33 (permalink)
Foodbme

I ALWAYS wear my Seat Belt while eating in a Waffle House. You never know when a Grill Cook is going to go Postal and start throwing Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Scattered Hash Browns all over the place! 

from the condition I've seen some Waffle Houses in, I wouldn't be surpirsed if that's what happened...and no one cleaned up - they only wiped off the menu with some sticky water.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1