WalMart

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: WalMart 2006/03/04 18:50:45 (permalink)
Joanie you are a class act demanding the quality offerings of Target. In fact do know the newest paring of upscale anchors at shopping malls is .........
Target/Nordstrom...Now there is a pair.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: WalMart 2006/03/04 18:58:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Joanie you are a class act demanding the quality offerings of Target. In fact do know the newest paring of upscale anchors at shopping malls is .........
Target/Nordstrom...Now there is a pair.

Doesn't Nordstrom's own Target?

Maybe I am wronggggggggggg!. I hate that word

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: WalMart 2006/03/04 19:10:39 (permalink)
You hate the word wrong ? Target used to own Mervyn's and Marshall Fields.
I guess it was kind of a joke although a true one. They are finding those two high and low end stores produce big when together!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: WalMart 2006/03/04 20:26:33 (permalink)
Target sold Mervyn's and Marshall Field to May Department Stores, Inc. last year. Far from being big producers, they had been a drag on the resources of the company for years. Prior to the sale, in 2004 Mervyn's accounted for 7.4% of revenues and Marshall Field accounted for only 5.4%
Target is not exactly a competitor of Wal-Mart. They aim at a slightly more affluent demographic. In its analysis of Target's investment potential, Standard and Poor's describes Target as seeking "to appeal to customers that are interested in sophisticated styles and quality by offering fashion newness, trusted brands, and exclusive designer names such as Isaac Misrahi." That doesn't sound like Wal-Mart to me. Furthermore, although Target claims it aims to match prices with Wal-Mart in specific markets, it has always seemed to me that on identical items they charged a bit more.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: WalMart 2006/03/04 20:36:28 (permalink)
You are starting to shoot from the hip BT, and this the last time I am falling for it.
I said Target/Nordsrom was the pair of top performers.
By the way May Co. itself has been sold to Federated who is dumping Field's name and rebranding them Macy's just they have been doing for years i.e. The Bon Marche in Seattle, The Emporium and Capwell's in Ca.
Later.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: WalMart 2006/03/05 02:05:12 (permalink)
quote:

You are starting to shoot from the hip BT, and this the last time I am falling for it.
I said Target/Nordsrom was the pair of top performers.
By the way May Co. itself has been sold to Federated who is dumping Field's name and rebranding them Macy's just they have been doing for years i.e. The Bon Marche in Seattle, The Emporium and Capwell's in Ca.
Later.

Actually, when I wrote my post I had initially misread what you wrote by failing to notice that you said Target "used to" own Mervyn's and MF, so I had to revise it when I realize you knew they had been sold. I would still "misread" what you wrote so that the "those" refers to Mervyn's and MF, though, so my plea is "not guilty" on that one.

I thought May had merged with Federated, but I didn't research the matter enough to confirm it because I didn't think it mattered much--they aren't any longer part of Target.

I do have to gently remind you, though, that not all Emporium-Capwell stores (you betray your age by leaving The Emporium and Capwell's unmerged) are being "rebranded" as Macy's. The one nearest and dearest to me will soon reopen as Bloomingdale's West Coast flagship. Since that will be a major event in the lives of all SF fashion victims, I am shocked you failed to mention it. And we're getting a Barney's too (be still my heart!).
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: WalMart 2006/03/05 03:07:12 (permalink)
The point was Target/Nordstrom co-anchoring malls
After I straightend you out I meant the locations Federated didn't want (like Market St)
Let's switch gears, Westfield and Forest City the proprieters of your Bloomingdale's/Barney's/Nordstrom center have bought the Sony Metreon a block away whose only money makers are the movie theatres and food court which...... big drum roll please....... will be a big part of the new mall, so why did they buy it and will they turn the whole thing into offices/condos.
take a deep breath, think about it, it's not an attack just a question.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: WalMart 2006/03/05 04:17:31 (permalink)
quote:

The point was Target/Nordstrom co-anchoring malls
After I straightend you out I meant the locations Federated didn't want (like Market St)
Let's switch gears, Westfield and Forest City the proprieters of your Bloomingdale's/Barney's/Nordstrom center have bought the Sony Metreon a block away whose only money makers are the movie theatres and food court which...... big drum roll please....... will be a big part of the new mall, so why did they buy it and will they turn the whole thing into offices/condos.
take a deep breath, think about it, it's not an attack just a question.

I have always personally thought the Metreon, as it existed, was a beautiful waste of space. I love going to the movie there just because when you come out at night you can go to the big glass windows and look at all the lights of the nearby hotel and apartment towers--it's so URBAN. If you read the article about the purchase in the same place I did (was it SF Business Times?), you also read that there had been a proposal to nearly double the number of screens at the Metreon theater. That will now be effectively done by the new theater going in at the SF Shopping Center. Numerous studies over the years have shown that SF is "under-screened" and the lines/crowds at any popular movie prove it (plus we've lost some more single-screen places since those studies were done). So I don't think having the two theaters (the Metreon and SF Center) a block apart is a problem--it's only 18 or so screens total and some suburban multiplex's have more than that in one building. In fact, it will probably create a nighttime entertainment destination with great access by public trans (14 bus line and BART from the Mission/Bernal Heights; Muni subway from most of the rest of town). What I'd love to see them do is shut down the Embarcadero Cinema and turn the Metreon into an art house like that is--but with stadium seating and all the amenities it has now. But they won't do it (and I know Embarcadero is owned by a different chain--Landmark).

What will change is they will find a way to put more stores in the Metreon. Sony is staying, but I suspect they will redo a lot of the space on the first 2 floors and the top floor (where that "Wild Things" place used to be). It seems to me it should be a good spot for dining places with all the nearby conventioneers but the record is bad--a number of restaurants (bad concepts badly run IMHO) have failed there. Maybe Hooters? But definitely less open space and more densely packed retail.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: WalMart 2006/03/05 04:33:01 (permalink)
I agree about the view. They do have the IMAX and Jillian's sports bar has held in there. I like the video arcade for the bowling but gosh that is a TON of square feet to fill when they are adding like a million square feet a block away and Union Square in all it's glory HAS NOT fully recovered from 2000. I'll be at the Irish Bank not worrying about it. Pass the HP sauce please
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1