The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

WalMart

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
I'm no fan of WalMart but I'm not here to bash them. Saw this article about how big they have become in the grocery business and the influence it allows them with their suppliers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/03/business/03walmart.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
    RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 5:39 PM (permalink)
    The SO and I have always shopped the 3 main supermarkets here (winn-dixie, publix, foodlion) each having different variaty as well as sales. However... since the superwal-mart opened I've found myself shopping there more often, there 's something oddly convenient about picking up a weedeater, car battery, usb cable, a pair of jeans , block of cheese and package of coffee and a loaf of bread all in one stop

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
      RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 6:07 PM (permalink)
      Only several Wal-Marts in the Chicago area are superstores so sometimes i go to Meijer for groceries, which i like very much.I like Wal-Mart too.When in SC my WM is in Georgetown but it seems like the vultures have flown in because the shelves in that superstore are always empty.It is a very busy store though,24/7.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
        RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 6:10 PM (permalink)
        In Alamogordo New Mexico, there is no choice. Wal Mart's Supercenter represents the only supermarket in which you can buy food. Where I live, in Las Cruces, there are 3 Albertson's, but I hear they have reorganized which tells me they are failing to compete with Wal-Mart in their current marketing strategy. There are some tertiary type supermarkets that are local to Las Cruces (Lowes and Save Mart) but they are small, offer limited produce and their aisles are maybe 8 to 10 in number.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 7:28 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by tamandmik

In Alamogordo New Mexico, there is no choice. Wal Mart's Supercenter represents the only supermarket in which you can buy food. Where I live, in Las Cruces, there are 3 Albertson's, but I hear they have reorganized which tells me they are failing to compete with Wal-Mart in their current marketing strategy. There are some tertiary type supermarkets that are local to Las Cruces (Lowes and Save Mart) but they are small, offer limited produce and their aisles are maybe 8 to 10 in number.

Re Albertson's:

quote:
          (Albertson's has been) acquired by food wholesaler Supervalu and a consortium of real estate and investment firms for a total of $17.4 billion in cash, stock, and debt assumption.
          Supervalu Inc. will become the second-largest supermarket operator in the U.S. under the terms of a $12.4-billion deal in which it will acquire 1,124 Albertson's Inc. stores, reported an Associated Press article in BusinessWeek.com.

The other purchaser led by Cerberus Capital Management L.P. includes real estate investment trust Kimko Realty Corp, Schottenstein Stores Corp., Lubert-Adler Partners, and Klaff Realty. The Cerberus-led group will acquire stores in Dallas-Ft. Worth, Northern California, Florida, the Rocky Mountains, and the Southwest. The group plans to operate the stores under the Albertson's name.
          About 700 Albertson's-owned drugstores will go to Woonsocket, R.I.-based CVS Corp.

They had been doing poorly for some time. It doesn't have much to do with the situation in Alamogordo or any other individual location.

I AM a fan of Wal-Mart. They recently opened a new SuperCenter in my AZ town. I used to have to drive about 15 miles to another SuperCenter which I did but not too often. Now I go there about once a week and the more frequent visits have taught me a few things. I still think I save considerable money buying staples like laundry detergent and paper towels at Wal-Mart, but especially with the food you have to be careful. It's often possible to get things cheaper at Safeway (2 of those in town plus Basha's, an Arizona chain) when they are on sale. But certain items I buy hardly ever go on sale and those I buy at Wal-Mart.

Safeway, incidentally, has decided the best way to compete with Wal-Mart is to go upscale and try to compete with Whole Foods and their ilk instead. It is gradually remodeling most of its stores to fit a "lifestyle" design--wood floors, subtle lighting, polished produce, more gourmet items, live butchers behind a meat/seafood counter, bigger deli section with more prepared foods and imported items, olive bar and so on. For the first 3 years I spent winters here I couldn't find pancetta--Safeway now has it (albeit prepackaged, not slice to order). Frankly, I'm glad because it gives me hope a lot of stuff I'm used to buying in San Francisco will now show up here and, in a sense, I guess I have Wal-Mart to thank.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
            RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 8:44 PM (permalink)
            BT, when you get back I am going to be lying in wait with my super-soaker. www.walmartmovie.com

BT

RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by stevencarry

BT, when you get back I am going to be lying in wait with my super-soaker. www.walmartmovie.com

When I get back I'm going to have to lug with me a couple of shopping bags full of stuff from Wal-Mart that would cost me MUCH MUCH more to purchase in SF because the elitist left wingers in the PRSF won't allow a Wal-Mart to open in the City (note the capital "C").

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 10:15 PM (permalink)
                I guess I must be hitting the worst Walmart's possible, but as much as I am aware of how much people love them, my experience of Walmart's in three different states, over the past decade, has been:

1) The cleanliness in most of the stores I have visited really leaves something to be desired;
                2) Quite frankly, on many items, I do not find them to be the cheapest at all..and this is regardless of whether the item is on sale elsewhere.
                3) Other than name brand items, most of what I have purchased is of poor quality (linens, simple chairs, etc.).
                4) I have consistently done better both price-wise and quality-wise (granted, not by much) at various Kmart's, and definitely better at the local closeout places.
                5) Apart from a nice person to greet me at the entrance (but frankly, many Kmart's have this now), I have not found their salestaff overall to be that exceptional, as they would have you believe.

I guess I don't get the appeal at all. Must have had bad luck!

stevencarry

RE: WalMart Fri, 03/3/06 10:26 PM (permalink)
                  Attention Wal-Mart Shoppers: BT, We need a Price Check on aisle RF

Tell me your good deals and I will beat them at an American store.
                  You are talking about left wingers while you are in AZ, I'll bet you talk about right wingers when in CA.
                  I am pro America and my front end is in alignment so I don't veer off to one side. With your thinking in 20 years we will have to complain to our leaders in Beijing not Washington D.C.
                  Wake up, rent the DVD www.walmartmovie.com

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 2:15 AM (permalink)
                    Steven:

I have no idea where you shop in Marin. I realize that too is part of the SF/Berkeley/Marin boutique axis (right, Frank?) so maybe you have laws against Wal-Marts too. I also realize it IS possible to beat Wal-Mart prices. I do my best, but I have to go to 4 or 5 stores to do it: CostCo for the stuff that I have room to store in my 1050 sq ft condo; Safeway and Albertson (if it's still open) for stuff that's on sale; Smart & Final (THERE's an "American" outfit) for a lifetime supply of capers, chutney and other boutique-living essentials; Trader Joe's for cat food, olive oil and "carnitas". Oh, and, of course, in order to beat WM's prices on national brands, I have to go for the store brands at these other outfits and I can't count the cost of the gas, the social cost of the exhaust fumes or the Muni fare for all these trips.

You have it backward. In AZ I am considered a left wing nut case (pro gay marriage and choice on abortion, anti-Bush and war in Iraq) while in SF I am considered a right wing loon (ready to clamp down on illegal immigration; fed up with seeing the City trashed by graffiti "artists", the "homeless" and kids with no respect for anyone but themselves; pro Wal-Mart). In reality, I think I'm not too far from the center and if you aren't careful we could have a head-on collsion driving down the middle of the road from opposite directions.

Somehow those folks who are planning to be our rulers in 20 years always seem to come a cropper. I recall when the Soviets were going to "bury" us. Again, as an investor trying to place bets around the world, I'm currently giving India higher odds than China. I'll rethink that if China's middle class realizes what's going on and tosses the politburo out.

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 2:33 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by tacchino

1) The cleanliness in most of the stores I have visited really leaves something to be desired;

You are, I believe, in New York. I have heard this complaint from other sources in the NYC metro area. I myself have noticed their older stores being run down and somewhat dirty. But where they can, they are replacing these stores with new SuperCenters that are clean and much more attractive (albeit HUGE).

quote:
                      2) Quite frankly, on many items, I do not find them to be the cheapest at all..and this is regardless of whether the item is on sale elsewhere.
                      3) Other than name brand items, most of what I have purchased is of poor quality (linens, simple chairs, etc.).

They are NOT the cheapest on most items but they have the cheapest average non-sale prices. That means that, if you are willing to go to many other retailers, you will be able to find lower prices on each item but in no other single place will you find a lower price for an entire market basket of goods. Their target demographic for clothing, furniture and other stuff is the "lower middle" and poorer classes and so much of that does sacrifice some quality in order to be inexpensive, however if I want a national brand of paper towels or laundry soap or fertilizer or mulch or a garden hose this doesn't matter at all. And I have found some of their clothing, such as their "Faded Glory" brand stuff, to be quite serviceable
                      quote:
                      4) I have consistently done better both price-wise and quality-wise (granted, not by much) at various Kmart's, and definitely better at the local closeout places.
                      5) Apart from a nice person to greet me at the entrance (but frankly, many Kmart's have this now), I have not found their salestaff overall to be that exceptional, as they would have you believe.

Don't get too used to shopping at K-Mart. In the investment community it's widely believed that Eddie Lampert, the whiz kid who engineered the marriage of Sears and K-Mart, has little interest in running the combination as a business but is mostly interested in eventually selling off their prime real estate. And no matter his intentions, as a business they have done little but disappoint since the merger. One cannot predict much of a future for this unwieldy giant.

I guess I don't get the appeal at all. Must have had bad luck!

stevencarry

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 2:49 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by BT

Steven:

I have no idea where you shop in Marin. I realize that too is part of the SF/Berkeley/Marin boutique axis (right, Frank?) so maybe you have laws against Wal-Marts too. I also realize it IS possible to beat Wal-Mart prices. I do my best, but I have to go to 4 or 5 stores to do it: CostCo for the stuff that I have room to store in my 1050 sq ft condo; Safeway and Albertson (if it's still open) for stuff that's on sale; Smart & Final (THERE's an "American" outfit) for a lifetime supply of capers, chutney and other boutique-living essentials; Trader Joe's for cat food, olive oil and "carnitas". Oh, and, of course, in order to beat WM's prices on national brands, I have to go for the store brands at these other outfits and I can't count the cost of the gas, the social cost of the exhaust fumes or the Muni fare for all these trips.

You have it backward. In AZ I am considered a left wing nut case (pro gay marriage and choice on abortion, anti-Bush and war in Iraq) while in SF I am considered a right wing loon (ready to clamp down on illegal immigration; fed up with seeing the City trashed by graffiti "artists", the "homeless" and kids with no respect for anyone but themselves; pro Wal-Mart). In reality, I think I'm not too far from the center and if you aren't careful we could have a head-on collsion driving down the middle of the road from opposite directions.

Somehow those folks who are planning to be our rulers in 20 years always seem to come a cropper. I recall when the Soviets were going to "bury" us. Again, as an investor trying to place bets around the world, I'm currently giving India higher odds than China. I'll rethink that if China's middle class realizes what's going on and tosses the politburo out.

Brother BT
                        Who is Frank ?
                        If you watch sales at Safeway and Long's Drugs you can beat Walmart on household/kitchen/bathroom/canned/jarred items. You wouldn't any other food items they sell.
                        There are no Walmart grocery stores in the 9 county bay area and yet they have killed the union. I worked at Safeway 30 years ago and made $8 an hour, if I stayed I would make $22 today, get hired today they pay, drum roll please $8 an hour.I repeat that's 30 years. So now instead of someone I can say "Could I get a red slice of tomato on my sandwich instead of that whitish greenish thing", they say you want tomato yes or no. Today I asked if the chicken wings were boneless they said they are sweet not knowing what I was talking about. We don't have Walmart not because of laws but because we have intelligence and high standards so they don't even try to come here. For your good deals I go to Safeway,Long's,Smart and Final,Trader Joe's, and Costco. For everday it's Andronico's,Mollie Stone's, and Whole Foods,whoever has the deals on the goodys and obviously Safeway, all in The City. Like I said twice watch the movie you right wing bed wetting liberal. PS I miss that dry air, enjoy it while you can.

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:04 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

Who is Frank ?

Frank is "fpczyz". He's a civic booster from San Jose who seldom misses a chance to remind us of which Bay Area city has the most people and who refers to SF as "your little boutique town up north" or some such. He hasn't been around lately, maybe because he figured out it's now 2 against 1.

PS: Tell me, Steve, do YOU know the way to San Jose?

stevencarry

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:11 AM (permalink)
                            Oh, I know Frank he lectured me on the history of Willow Glen. By the way BT check out the year 2029 thread for some quality comedy.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:13 AM (permalink)
                              And the one day this company comes tumbling down, so will the pawns that followed..

tacchino

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:17 AM (permalink)
                                BT:
                                I also lived for three years in the Bay Area, and saw some of the Walmart's in the East Bay and adjacent regions...as well as ones in Arizona (around Kingston), Southwest Florida, New Jersey, upstate New York,...the list goes on. And I have to say, in the majority of these cases, whether they were "Supercenters" or not, cleanliness was always a problem.

Kmart has been on the edge financially for over a decade, and they keep bouncing back. One of their big advantages (which Walmart has traditionally ignored completely) is their willingness to deal with inner city/minority communities, and find appropriate products for them. I really believe that they have some great potential in these incredibly large markets that Walmart has ignored (because Walmart does not want to pay big city taxes/property costs, deal with strict regulations, etc.)

And for what it is worth, I have to say, every time I walk into a Target, I find their brand name staples to be competitively priced with Walmart now (I know that previously, they were attempting to be a little more "upscale," but that strategy has changed.)

I really think that Walmart has been coasting on its reputation lately; it has benefitted tremendously from word-of-mouth advertising about low prices, decent quality, and good service, even though that may simply not be the case anymore in this increasingly cutthroat retail market.

tacchino

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:20 AM (permalink)
                                  Sorry, BT:
                                  Instead of "Kingston, Arizona" I meant "Kingman." In other words, around Flagstaff.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                    RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by BT

quote:

Who is Frank ?

Frank is "fpczyz". He's a civic booster from San Jose who seldom misses a chance to remind us of which Bay Area city has the most people and who refers to SF as "your little boutique town up north" or some such. He hasn't been around lately, maybe because he figured out it's now 2 against 1.

PS: Tell me, Steve, do YOU know the way to San Jose?
                                    La La La La La La La La La Sorry i'm a Burt Bacharach junkie.

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:46 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:

BT:
                                      I really believe that they have some great potential in these incredibly large markets that Walmart has ignored (because Walmart does not want to pay big city taxes/property costs, deal with strict regulations, etc.).

Once, but no longer (sorry for the long quote, but non-subscribers couldn't see it if I just linked):

quote:
                                      In Tight Spaces,
                                      Wal-Mart Adds
                                      Second Floors
                                      By KRIS HUDSON
                                      March 1, 2006; Page B1
                                      EL CAJON, Calif. -- The most revolutionary part of the Wal-Mart store here is found at the top of the escalator: a second floor.

Over the past couple of decades, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has made its sprawling single-story stores the most feared force in retailing. But as the company tries to penetrate urban areas that have lofty land prices and entrenched antidevelopment movements, it's increasingly building up, not out.

Wal-Mart now operates roughly 20 multilevel stores, many of them housed in buildings vacated by other retailers. Over the next five years, the company is planning to open an additional 50 to 60 on lots one-third the size of its traditional 25-acre swaths. Many of these stores will be "supercenters," which often measure 200,000 square feet and offer a full complement of groceries in addition to the apparel, toys and other general merchandise found in Wal-Mart's traditional discount stores.

The multilevel stores are just a tiny portion of the 3,900 U.S. stores operated by the world's biggest retailer. But they represent a significant shift for a company that has long thrived by sticking to a cookie-cutter store format designed to minimize costs and coax the most sales out of every single square foot. Here in the El Cajon store, which opened in October 2004 as Wal-Mart's first multilevel store built from the ground up, store managers had to wrestle with issues like which departments to locate on each floor and how to lure shoppers to the second floor. Wal-Mart even trained workers to help shoppers confused by the device next to the escalator that lifts shopping carts from one floor to the other.

Other big-box retailers are also expanding the box vertically. Minneapolis-based Target Corp. operates more than 30 multilevel stores, including one attached to the same shopping mall in El Cajon as the Wal-Mart. Atlanta-based Home Depot Inc. has five such stores, including two in New York City. Costco Wholesale Corp., Issaquah, Wash., counts three multilevel warehouses among its 346 in the U.S.

More are on the way. Mike LaFerle, vice president of real estate at Home Depot, said the home-improvement retailer is considering roughly 80 "urban opportunities" as store sites to serve patrons who want to live, work and shop in downtowns. Some of those will be multilevel stores. "As the consumers continue to move back into the urban core of cities, retailers will continue to follow them," Mr. LaFerle said.

In the case of Wal-Mart, the retailer is experimenting with several different multistory approaches. In Portland, Ore., the company proposes to build a supercenter on a plot smaller than eight acres with two levels of parking buried beneath the store's selling floor and none above ground. In White Plains, N.Y., Wal-Mart will open in April a discount store with two levels of selling floor and six parking levels stacked above it. In downtown Honolulu, Wal-Mart built a Sam's Club warehouse store atop a supercenter on 10 acres.

The next phase of the evolution is already in the works: Wal-Mart has drawn up plans for its first multistory supercenter, which will divide its 170,000 square feet between two floors with most of its parking below grade. Wal-Mart executives declined to reveal the location of that project, which has yet to go through the government approval process.

"Historically, if a site didn't fit our size, if it didn't fit our parking ratio -- 1,000 spaces and a 195,000-square-foot supercenter -- we would walk away and chase other opportunities," Rob Bray, Wal-Mart's senior vice president of real-estate construction and design, told Wall Street analysts last year. "Today, we say, 'How?' "

Those who have criticized Wal-Mart for contributing to sprawl aren't necessarily impressed by the new, more compact stores. Al Norman, founder of Sprawl-Busters Consultants in Greenfield, Mass., likened it to Wal-Mart's nascent program to open environmentally conscious stores. "If they have two or three green stores out there out, who cares?" Mr. Norman said. "It's so clearly tokenism."

Others, however praise Wal-Mart for re-examining its store formats. In Chamblee, Ga., a city near Atlanta, Wal-Mart is building a supercenter on 12 acres with most of its parking spaces in underground levels. Mayor Eric Clarkson says Wal-Mart readily complied with the city's zoning guidelines requiring retail builders to conceal parking lots and forgo car-related uses such as lube shops. "It's something we can point to for everyone else looking to develop in Chamblee, that Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, was willing to work with the zoning requirements in Chamblee," Mr. Clarkson says.

In Pass Christian, Miss., a coastal town mostly leveled last year by Hurricane Katrina, Wal-Mart is considering rebuilding a supercenter in a new-urbanist format once the town's population returns. If Wal-Mart adopts suggestions from regional planners, which it has yet to do officially, the Pass Christian design would call for encircling the store's parking lot with multilevel retail shops and apartments. That, regional planners say, would hide the parking lot from view from the street and provide Wal-Mart a base of potential shoppers in the apartments. Several of Wal-Mart's high-level real-estate officials spent time in community-planning sessions in Pass Christian in January to brainstorm designs for the store, which might include multiple levels.

Can Wal-Mart balance its urban accommodations with its own famous bottom-line mentality? Its own real-estate experts say multilevel stores cost more to build and operate than the traditional single-level big box. Yet they add that each one built still must meet Wal-Mart's standards for return on investment before it is approved. And, in some cases, building a multilevel store appeals to a given community's leaders or neighbors, much as Wal-Mart seeks to do in tailoring the facades of new stores to reflect regional architecture when local leaders request it.

At the two-level, 167,000-square-foot Wal-Mart store in El Cajon, just east of San Diego, the retailer has crafted and honed a delicate balance of merchandise between its two floors. Fast sellers such as food, cosmetics, cleaning supplies and pet supplies are located on the first floor so customers making quick stops can get to them easily. So-called destination departments such as electronics, housewares and sporting goods are located on the second floor.

The trick for Wal-Mart and others is to avoid designing a store that encourages shoppers to buy low-margin, high-turnover items on the first floor and ignore the second floor's more profitable wares. Thus, in El Cajon, Wal-Mart dedicates several first-floor aisle displays to merchandise aimed at luring shoppers to second-floor departments, such as new-release DVDs. Children's apparel is on the second floor because Wal-Mart shoppers tend to be less finicky and fashion-conscious about kids' clothes, making that section a destination department. Meanwhile, men's and women's apparel -- departments where Wal-Mart is making a push to bolster sales with more fashionable styles -- is downstairs in broad view.

Wal-Mart market manager John Teel demonstrated the point recently on the El Cajon store's first floor. "For every bag of dog food [the store's manager] sells, I need him to sell one of these," Mr. Teel said, plucking a white Starter T-shirt from a rack. "I don't make any money on dog food."

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:48 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:

Sorry, BT:
                                        Instead of "Kingston, Arizona" I meant "Kingman." In other words, around Flagstaff.

Er, closer to Las Vegas.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 3:59 AM (permalink)
                                          Wal-Mart beats the pants off of Martin's and FoodLion sales prices most every day of the year. I too like having basically 1 stop shopping.

MikeS.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                            RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 6:55 AM (permalink)
                                            Did I read or hear somewhere that they were going into the fringes of the banking industry? What next funeral parlors? Chow Jim

Sundancer7

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 7:12 AM (permalink)
                                              Whether I like them or hate them does not really matter at this point as it is the only competative grocer around Knoxville. We do not have a Costco and Walmart beats the socks off of everybody else.

I agree with other that they are handy where you can do all your shopping at one place. They even repaired my glasses for free last week end and I did not even buy them there.

I wish their aisles were a little wider. They are updating all their super centers around knoxville. It is amazing how much traffic they get. I take Mamaw Smith shopping there a lot of times around 4:00AM. I like it that they are open 24 hours.

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                                JIM,
                                                WalMart is opening 'Urgent-Care' clinics in many of it's new Supercenters. It is believed that this direction is part of the "New" look of healthcare for the 'One-Stop Shoppers'. I have a daughter-in-law, a newly graduated Nurse-Practitioner who is being recruited by WalMart for one of these centers in Kentucky.

BTW SInce this thread has turned into the 'concept' rant instead of a food-related topic It is being moved to the Misc- Lighter Forum.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                  RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                  I like BT, even if he IS a left-wing nut case! Next time I go to the bay area, I'm definitely looking him up.

BT

• Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                    RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Jimeats

Did I read or hear somewhere that they were going into the fringes of the banking industry? What next funeral parlors? Chow Jim

Here's the deal:

quote:
                                                    Wal-Mart may have just taken a step toward that end by applying to create what's known as an "industrial loan corporation" in Utah. The ILC would handle Wal-Mart's credit card, debit card and electronic transactions, saving the processing fees the company now pays to a third party. ILCs typically can't offer checking accounts, but they can take deposits and make loans.

Wal-Mart's previous attempts to create a bank have been cut off at the pass, including once in 1999 when it tried to buy an Oklahoma bank and more recently in its attempts to buy a California industrial loan corporation.

"The banking community's opinion was that the world as we knew it would come to an end" if Wal-Mart were allowed to buy the savings bank, said banking analyst Bert Ely, who well remembers the 1999 tempest. "There was strong, strong, strong opposition."

Other retailers, including Nordstrom and Target, have purchased banks without creating nearly the fuss that Wal-Mart's involvement generates. But those chains don't have nearly the scope or the economic muscle that Wal-Mart flexes.

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

JIM,
                                                      WalMart is opening 'Urgent-Care' clinics in many of it's new Supercenters. It is believed that this direction is part of the "New" look of healthcare for the 'One-Stop Shoppers'. I have a daughter-in-law, a newly graduated Nurse-Practitioner who is being recruited by WalMart for one of these centers in Kentucky.

BTW SInce this thread has turned into the 'concept' rant instead of a food-related topic It is being moved to the Misc- Lighter Forum.

It isn't clear to me whether the new in-house medical clinics in certain Supercenters is intended mainly for the public or mainly for Wal-Mart employees. The ones that are open so far seem to get a lot of their business from employees because they offer health care at "everyday low prices" and lots of Wal-Mart's employees, as we all know, are uninsured or have only high-deductible coverage.

Regardless, they are open to the public and I sure wish they'd put one in my town. We don't have any walk-in medical care, even an emergency room (and going there for non-emergencies needs to be discouraged anyway). It sure would be nice to have somewhere to easily get a prescription for allergy pills or antibiotics for a skin infection and other minor stuff.

BT

RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I like BT, even if he IS a left-wing nut case! Next time I go to the bay area, I'm definitely looking him up.

Shhhh! I didn't even tell Barry Goldwater when I worked in his 1964 campaign or Bill Buckley when I subscribed to his magazine for decades.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                          • Location: columbus, oh
                                                          RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          I go there for most staples, but I find that they are limited to a few choices for brand names on lots of food items. IE-The one near me only carries Breakstone and GV (great Value) cottage cheese.
                                                          The grocery stores carry other brands. I can't find gourmet hot dogs, just basic ones. But I like Hebrew National, so I get those while I am there. Just want a better variety of things.
                                                          I find that they are good for canned goods, frozen items, soda, paper goods, etc.
                                                          Plus, like the majority here, it's nice to do one stop shopping, Buy a microwave and deodorant while picking up some milk and butter, But I like to go to the local stores for specialty items, and meat, and veggies.
                                                          In fact looking for a good deli market here in Myrtle Beach/Conway area if anyone knows...

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
                                                            • Location: Columbia, MD
                                                            RE: WalMart Sat, 03/4/06 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            Count me in with those who dislike Walmart. Here in suburban MD, they are dirty, with boxes everywhere (do they ever bother to put away inventory?) and the lines are long and move slow. Contrast that with Target, where prices are slightly higher, but the shopping atmosphere is pleasant, the stores are spotless, and I always get in and out quickly. I also find the quality of products at Target much, much higher. We don't have a SuperWalmart here, so that's a non-issue. As some of you know, I will be getting my PharmD in a couple months, and Walmart asked me to interview. I politely refused, citing their policy of not carrying emergency contraception. Guess that policy has bit them in the butt, because I heard on the news today that they have reversed this decision. I still won't work there, because there are so many better places, but it certainly is an interesting development.

I feel fortunate that in this area, we have other, better choices than Walmart!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com