Walkin Freezers need help fast please!

Author
MeatanPotatoes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2007/01/08 11:38:53 (permalink)

Walkin Freezers need help fast please!

I am leasing a restaraunt that is already in buisness but the exterior walkin freezer will be gone when I take over (VERY SOON). It is an 8x10 with floor and I wish to replace with same size. I was offered to buy the existing one but I feel it is way to high $6500. It seems to be fairly old maybe 10 years. I have thought of leasing one but my LLC is new so I am afraid cost will be high and also shipping. In my area there are supply houses that sell new and used, I would like to go used as I do not have a whole lot of cash to start.
What do you guys think I can do? I do have a trailer but I will have to get an electrician and permit for install.

BTW I am in the Kansas City area if that might help.

Thanks for any responces

8 Replies Related Threads

adbunting
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 14:01:10 (permalink)
    What I would do is research the brand and depreciation. Ask your tax man. Many used equipment dealers ask almost a new pricetag for 2nd hand. You could get a fantastic deal on e-bay but shipping would kill you.

I don't know what the individual that you're taking over from is planning to do but if it isn't anything having to do with food I'm certain that a properly presented offer would probably be considered. (and welcomed) I mean, the hauling and storage and selling of it down the track is a pretty big expense. A bird in the hand and all that.

After you find out its current used value was you could potentially make an offer to put a down on it with a lease to buy.

I guess the bottom line though is does it work properly and is it useful to your purposes?

April
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 16:59:04 (permalink)
    I live in Nashville TN and in the classified section on sunday someone is selling a walkin Freezer and a walkin cooler for 1995.00 for both. It might be worth the drive to save $3500.00 and sell the cooler to recoop some of the money
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 17:46:50 (permalink)
    If you do buy the existing one, check the condensor inside the cooler (See if it's been visibly abused, and look for massive dripping from improper mounting, etc), also look for rotting around the floor / wall. Request a maintence record on the external compressor (big $$ to replace)...
    Cooler kits are fairly easy to assemble on your own (with help of a buddy of course). So if you buy a used one for a decent price, go for it! You'll just need a heating / cooling guy to run the lines and hook up the compressor.
    Try searching ebay for Walk In Cooler, and set the range to 250 miles or less so you see the local results.
    Best of Luck on your venture there!

Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 19:29:25 (permalink)
    The price seems kind of high. Check E-Bay, there are a number of them in there now.

The Evaporator will be inside the freezer. The Condensing unit will most likely be outside on the roof of the walk-in. If it is a water cooled condensing unit then it may be in the basement.

Learn HVAC, plumbing and electrical... save money.

Try to buy refrigeration equipment from the same company or have similar components and refrigerant. Keep a spare condensing unit, evaporator and fan assembly around.
    MeatanPotatoes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 20:01:39 (permalink)
    Thankyou for the replies. I think I've got the guy way down on the price and will inspect tomorrow. I am HVAC certified so that will help and I will check what Vic said, also I will check temp and listen to it cycle.

Thanks again.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/08 23:01:58 (permalink)
    my experience is screeming at me to reply for you. hopefully, you will heed. my advice, is easy. buy a brand new one, lease, or finance, get as much warrant as you can!!!!!!!!
    you dont want to end up pumping money into a use box, and possibly loose tons of groceries, and un-godly repair bills. hands down, go with a new one. if you are successful in you business, it wont matter that you are paying a monthly bill. however, a few thousand in repairs and replacement product can put you under if you are hanging by a shoestring. yea, it can get that much. any time you can, lease!

Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/10 12:09:01 (permalink)
    Usually the only thing that goes bad is the compressor. A condensing unit is rather inexpensive especialy if you can install it yourself.
    MeatanPotatoes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Walkin Freezers need help fast please! 2007/01/10 14:03:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

my experience is screeming at me to reply for you. hopefully, you will heed. my advice, is easy. buy a brand new one, lease, or finance, get as much warrant as you can!!!!!!!!
    you dont want to end up pumping money into a use box, and possibly loose tons of groceries, and un-godly repair bills. hands down, go with a new one. if you are successful in you business, it wont matter that you are paying a monthly bill. however, a few thousand in repairs and replacement product can put you under if you are hanging by a shoestring. yea, it can get that much. any time you can, lease!

That makes a lot of sense but I have already made a verbal agreement with the owner, and I stick by my word. Luckily I am able to do the work myself and have lots of freon laying around but I will keep my fingers crossed.

I wanted to go new but with time restraints (I am taking over tuesday) I thought it would be best to go with the existing one. Shipping was going to take 2 to 4 weeks plus I got a large shed thrown in on the deal. Another problem was going to be with the new building inspector (the existing shed and freezer are actually in an ally) and I have enough other stuff to worry about

Thanks for all the help, this site is AWESOME! and I will need all the help I can get.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1