The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT May 2009

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82
MiamiDon

Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT May 2009 Thu, 05/21/09 1:47 PM (permalink)
My first stop after picking up a rental car at LGA was at a hot dog stand in Mamaroneck, NY.

WALTER’S HOT DOGS

You have to love the architecture.   The web site states that they have been in business since 1919, but I don't know whether it was always at this location.

There is a pleasant area on the side where one can dine outdoors on some picnic tables.

OUTDOOR DINING AREA AT WALTER’S:

I got a basic dog with Walter’s special mustard, and some french fries.

WALTER’S HOT DOG:

WALTER’S FRENCH FRIES:

This was a medium-spiced dog, split and grilled.  The mustard had some horse radish in it, and was outstanding.  Thumbs-up on the hot dog.  The fries were frozen, purchased from a restaurant supply house no doubt, but they were properly fried and were tasty.  I’d return if I were in the neighborhood.

http://www.waltershotdogs.com/

I then stopped by Leno’s in New Rochelle, NY.  Bruce Bilmes wrote a review of this place, and stated that it is known as “Greasy Nick’s”.  I took a peek inside at the kitchen, and decided it was too greasy for me that day.  If the burgers were flame/char-broiled, I would have gone for one, but they’re cooked on a greasy flat-top.  Maybe some other time!  Rumor has it that the founder, Nick Leno, is/was a relative of Jay Leno.

Leno's Clam Bar, A.K.A. "Greasy Nick's":

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/2012/greasy-nicks

Next was The Little Spot in White Plains, NY

LITTLE SPOT:

I ordered a hot dog with grilled onions.  Splitting and grilling the hot dog is an extra dime, so I splurged and went for that.

LITTLE SPOT GRILLED HOT DOG WITH GRILLED ONIONS:

As Michael Stern wrote in the above-mentioned Roadfood.com review, it mostly tasted of the grill grease.  Maybe it would be better not grilled?  Not recommended.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2233

I finally made it to the place where I was to stay for the week.

CHEZ RUTHERFORD BED & BREAKFAST:

The next day, I made a little run up I-95 into Connecticut, stopping at three Roadfood places.

SUPER DUPER WEENIE:

You can't miss the sign! 

This place, in Fairfield, Connecticut, has been reviewed on Roadfood.com, and has appeared on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.  Evidently the dining room to the far left in the photo has been newly enclosed.  I ordered a “New Englander” hot dog and French fries.

NEW ENGLANDER:

The New Englander was served in an ordinary (not New-England-type) roll, with cold condiments.  The hot dog was put on the tray, wrapped, long before the fries were up, which kind of made a mushy mess of it.  I felt that the hot dog was lost in all of the condiments.  I cleaned off a piece, and tried that.  It was what I call a bologna-dog.  Not very good by itself.  Maybe grilled more, with some other condiment choice(s) would be better.

FRENCH FRIES

The menu boasted of the house-cut, fresh French fries.  They needn’t have bothered.  The result, no doubt due to improper cooking, was mealy.  I’ve had better at chain fast-food joints.   They look great in the photo, don't they?

Maybe the increase in business after being on national television has harmed the food preparation standards.  There were a lot of people there.

http://www.superduperweenie.com/

Next was Swanky Frank’s, in Norwalk, Connecticut.  Much less busy than Super Duper Weenie.

SWANKY FRANKS:

They fry the dogs here, and will split and griddle them upon request.  Each table has mustard, ketchup, onions, relish, etc. for the diner to add to the dogs, so I ordered a plain hot dog. 

FRESHLY FRIED, SPLIT AND GRILLED HOT DOG:

I went for the relish, mustard and chopped onions.  The mustard looked as though it had been doctored-up a little.

DRESSED SWANKY FRANK:

This was a more crispy than the hot dog from Super Duper, although also quite mild, but it seemed to not have the bologna taste I noticed up the road on Fairfield.  (someone will probably tell me that they’re the same brand!)  According to Holly Eats,  what I got was a deep-fried hot dog that was then split and grilled.    It was good; I'd return for another one, perhaps with the chili. 

I also ordered some onion rings.

SWANKY FRANKS ONION RINGS:

The onion rings were obviously of the frozen variety.  They were a little crispy on the outside, but spongy on the inside.  Maybe they were sitting around cooked, and were dropped back in the oil to heat them up?  Not recommended.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=270

Lastly for the day, I headed to Stamford for Royal Guard Fish and Chips.

ROYAL GUARD FISH & CHIPS:

This fry-house received a favorable review on Roadfood.com, so I gave it a try. 

ROYAL GUARD MENU BOARD:

I ordered fish and chips. 

ROYAL GUARD FISH AND CHIPS:

The price was $8.85 for two pieces of fish, and French fries.  The order actually was served with three pieces of fish.  The fish was covered with a crunch, tasty batter, but it enclosed a flavorless, pasty fish.  Perhaps it was cheap frozen fish?  There were no off tastes, just no flakey texture.  The “chips” were thin, soft, French fries, with nothing much to recommend them.  Looking back at the menu, perhaps the haddock would have been a better choice.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3921

Next was an afternoon in New York City.

In the early 1960s, I lived five blocks from the original Papaya King on the corner of 86th Street and 3rd Avenue, but never went there.  It is my understanding that this is the original place that had "papaya" in the name, and sold hot dogs.  The others are copycats.

PAPAYA KING:

The interior is very small, with stand-up dining only.

PAPAYA KING INTERIOR:

There are so many signs, inside and outdoors, that I think that one could spend a half hour reading them all.  I ordered one hot dog, and (of course!) a papaya juice. 

PAPAYA KING HOT DOG AND PAPAYA JUICE:

This was a good, spicy hot dog. No doubt the papaya juice made it a healthful meal.   Recommended!
http://www.papayaking.com/

I walked the five blocks to my old apartment building to work off a couple of calories.  One block to the west is the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Guggenheim Museum.

GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM:

When it was being built 50 years ago, I thought it looked like an upside-down wedding cake.

http://www.guggenheim.org/

Seven blocks to the south is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

NYC METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART:

This is an amazing building, with wonderful collections on display.  There's a lot to do in this neighborhood between hot dogs!

http://www.metmuseum.org/

A century ago, a few miles to the south, at the lower east side of Manhattan island, there was a Jewish immigrant enclave.  Some remnants still exist, such as this famous delicatessen.

KATZ'S: (borrowed photo)

We were there on a Saturday, and somehow I had never understood what a mob scene it is there on a busy day.

KATZ'S INTERIOR:

We ordered ordinary pastrami sandwiches with mustard only.  Here is a shot of the slicer guy at work.  On the left are the steam bins where the meats are kept.  Not the famous "tip jar" on the counter.  My brother ostentatiously stuffed a couple of bucks in, and we were rewarded with a couple of plates of samples to nosh on.

KATZ'S SLICER DUDE:

Here is the "meat" shot.

KATZ'S PASTRAMI SANDWICH:

This was a very, very good pastrami sandwich.  The rye bread was good, and the meat was tender and juicy.  My brother stated that it was the best pastrami that he has ever had.  I thought it was very slightly under-salted, which is odd for a cured meat.  It still was perhaps the best that I've had.  Not as big a sandwich as those in the ubiquitous photos from Harold's NY Deli!
http://www.katzdeli.com/

Close by up the street is a 99-year-old knishery.

YONAH SCHIMMEL'S KNISHES:

We got kasha, cheese, spinach and potato knishes to go.  No photos, but they were very good warmed up in the oven.  There is a dining area in the back of the shop.

YONAH SCHIMMEL'S INTERIOR:

I saw a photo on the wall showing the neighborhood a century ago.

OLD LOWER EAST SIDE NYC:

http://knishery.com/main.htm

To wash down the sandwiches, we headed through the tunnel to Brooklyn, and ended up at a brewery. I believe that this is in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN BREWERY:

Luckily for us, the tap room was open for business!  We entered though here:

BROOKLYN BREWERY ENTRANCE:

My photos inside did not come out well, as somehow the autofocus got turned off inadvertently.  This is the best of a poor lot. 

BROOKLYN BREWERY VATS:

BROOKLYN BREWERY INTERIOR:

A mostly young crowd, but well-behaved.  I had the East India Pale Ale, which was good.

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/ 

A Brief Visit to New Jersey

My first stop was in Upper Saddle River to take a couple of photos of this house.  It was built by my several-greats-grandfather 270 years ago.  The original house is the section on the left.  The rest was added later in the 1700s.

ABRAHAM HOPPER HOUSE:

After reading about them on Roadfood.com, I wanted to try the New Jersey regional dish known as a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwich.  My Roadfood buds said that any Jersey diner would have them.  The first diner I went to was being renovated, and had a line going out the door (in the rain!), so I moved on to the next town, and stopped at the Westwood Diner at 301 Old Hook Rd, Westwood, NJ

WESTWOOD DINER:

I ordered the sandwich, along with coffee and OJ, and this is what I was served:

TAYLOR HAM, EGG AND CHEESE SANDWICH:

The sandwich was made with a cornmeal-dusted kaiser roll, which was pretty good.  It was rather mild, which surprised me, because I was expecting more pork roll flavor.  I think that it would have been better with more slices of pork roll.  I added salt and pepper to the egg, which helped.  I did enjoy it!

Thus fortified, I headed to the Paramus Dutch Reformed Church to search the graveyard.  I was fortunate to find the  grave markers of my Dutch great-great-great-great-great-grandparents.

Gerrit & Mary Hopper:

All that walking back and forth looking at gravestones made me hungry, so I put myself in the hands of my GPS and headed for...

RUTT'S HUT:

Evidently the bar and regular restaurant is in the sections to the front, and the fast-food outlet is in the back, where I entered. 

RUTT'S HUT IN BACK:

I bellied up to the counter, and in my best imitation of an experienced Jerseyite asked for a "Ripper and onion rings."  The hot dog was immediately put on the counter, indicating to me that it was sitting around, not freshly fried. (Bummer!)  After a modest wait, the rings came up.  There were some bowls of condiments on the counter, so I spooned some of the famous (infamous?) yellow relish on the 'dog.

RIPPER & RELISH:

The deep-fried hot dog had an interesting texture, but was pretty mild in flavor, and was overwhelmed by the mustardy relish in my opinion.  I did enjoy it, although a freshly-fried hot one would have been better.  I think that I would have enjoyed a Cremator more with the relish.

RUTT'S HUT ONION RINGS:

These were obviously house-made, freshly-fried onion rings, and were very good.

THE END

<message edited by MiamiDon on Fri, 05/29/09 11:48 AM>

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Thu, 05/21/09 2:12 PM (permalink)
    MiamiDon, I've also heard (though only in the last few years) that there is a family connection between Jay Leno and Leno's Clam Bar, although I've only heard it pronounced Leen'-ohs Clam Bar (when people aren't using the more common name Greasy Nick's).  I think I saw somewhere that Jay Leno has mentioned the connection on his show.  I don't know if it's true or not.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Thu, 05/21/09 2:22 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Don.  I'm enjoying the tour ... sadly, I know it won't be ending up here in Western Massachusetts ... i hope you are feeling better.

Ellen has started a Trip Report ... She's off to an excellent start.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=512911&mpage=1#512967

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
        Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Thu, 05/21/09 10:38 PM (permalink)
        wheregreggeats.com

Thanks Don.  I'm enjoying the tour ... sadly, I know it won't be ending up here in Western Massachusetts ... i hope you are feeling better.

Ellen has started a Trip Report ... She's off to an excellent start.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=512911&mpage=1#512967

thanks, Gregg, for the plug !
        I've been trying to squeeze in my Northampton report, in-between recovering from root canal, dealing poker, and playing  in a poker tourney charity benefit last night at fellow dealer Jessica's house .  (about 40 of us!)
        I even made some homemade meatballs and roast chicken legs for the event.... and I rarely cook...
        my smoke alarms were going off like crazy!

DON, we can assume your bug has gotten close to 100% better .... ?!?
        are you back in Miami now?!?

That hot dog from the Little Hut sure looks real good.... love the crispy texture, and the way the onions look...
        too bad it tasted too much like grease!
        I've been to the Super Dooper Weinie and Swanky Franks.... my trip report is in this forum somewhere...
        it was from last summer...
        I realized that hot dogs in CT are not really my thing, as they are too porky  for my own personal tastes...
        I tended to just try a few bites or so at each place, and enjoyed the relishes (Blackies!!) and fries, etc even more.......

nice report, Don !

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
          Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Thu, 05/21/09 11:17 PM (permalink)
          Don, I love your reports.  With your great pictures and descriptions I can almost taste them!

Thanks for sharing with us.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 6:12 AM (permalink)
            Don,

I also enjoyed your report and pictures. Blackies, Super Duper Weenie, and Swanky Franks all use natural casing Hummel's. Just prepared differently.

Walter's uses a mild dog from Boars Head that is 1/3 beef, 1/3 pork, and 1/3 veal.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
              Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 6:26 AM (permalink)
              Don what did you think of the B&B---it sure looks great.  That is a pretty 2-stroke lap pool, but it needs a few more sunny days to warm up----come back in August. 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 12:37 PM (permalink)
                Great report-completely enjoyed it!!

MiamiDon

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
                  Ellen4641:

Yes, I'm back in Miami! I've finally mostly recovered from the cold/flu/whatever that I caught up in NY.  It was a bummer not feeling well enough to attend the Western Massachussetts shindig.  Maybe next year.  I'm going to return for my brother's 60th birthday on 5/16/10.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                    Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 12:57 PM (permalink)
                    <<I felt that the hot dog was lost in all of the condiments. >>

That's EXACTLY what my opinion was of the Super Duper Weenie.  (I was there last fall on a trip thru CT that I never got around to writing up). I never saw so much stuff on a hot dog. It was total overkill.

Thanks for this enjoyable report. Brooklyn Brewery has been on my To Do list for far too long. If you can get there from Florida I can get there from NJ. The actual neighborhood is Greenpoint (Williamsburg is just a little south of there). It's an old time blue collar neighborhood, which used to be predominately Polish but, like most such neighborhoods in NY city, has been invaded by young people new to New York who are looking for relatively cheap rents.  

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                      Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 1:44 PM (permalink)
                      MiamiDon

Ellen4641:

Yes, I'm back in Miami! I've finally mostly recovered from the cold/flu/whatever that I caught up in NY.  It was a bummer not feeling well enough to attend the Western Massachussetts shindig.  Maybe next year.  I'm going to return for my brother's 60th birthday on 5/16/10.

Hey Don------thanks for great report and photos----what happened to the NJ part of report-----------did your indisposed state prevent a visit to the Great Garden state----we would welcome your reviews and photos of our humble estate---feel better----------go to Laurio's and have a cubano----will cure all that ails you!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Best--------Russ

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                        Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 2:01 PM (permalink)
                        Great report!  I noticed in the Papaya King interior photo there is a sign in the background introducing fresh squeezed celery juice.  I'll bet that's pretty good. 
                        <message edited by HotDogHead on Fri, 05/22/09 2:03 PM>

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                          Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 2:51 PM (permalink)
                          MD - Great pics...Yes..Harold's give you a much, much, much bigger sandwich.

If you are still in Manhattan, try the Carnegie...El Faro for dinner in the Village.

Have a great time

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                            Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 3:16 PM (permalink)
                            Don, awesome pics.  There was a place down here years ago that used to serve split, grilled hot dogs and now I know where they were copying them from.  I had to settle for trying to approximate them at home after this place closed.  Looking forward to more.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                              Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 3:55 PM (permalink)
                              Don,

Great report and very nice pictures.  The split hot dog from Swanky Franks looks good; then again, all the food looks very good.

MiamiDon

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                Buffalo Tarheel

Don,

Great report and very nice pictures.  The split hot dog from Swanky Franks looks good; then again, all the food looks very good.

Thanks, BT.  I just re-read your report of your trip to Swanky Franks.  Ha!  It looks like I should have ordered a chili-cheese dog and fries!  Well, maybe next year.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                                  Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                  MiamiDon

Thanks, BT.  I just re-read your report of your trip to Swanky Franks.  Ha!  It looks like I should have ordered a chili-cheese dog and fries!  Well, maybe next year.

Don,

That's pretty funny.  I did enjoy the chili cheese dog and fries, but when I saw your picture of the split hot dog I was thinking how good it would have been.  Oh well, I don't think either of us was cheated out of good food.   The next time I am in the Hartford area and can spend the time heading down to the coast, I will have to try the split dog.  Too many choices! (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

ellen4641

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Fri, 05/22/09 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                    russ2304

Hey Don------thanks for great report and photos----what happened to the NJ part of report-----------did your indisposed state prevent a visit to the Great Garden state--???

Our poor little state of NJ, always gets left out, lol...
                                    we're squeezed in the middle;  we get no respect, lol............we've got the NY Giants playing here instead of the NJ Giants..
                                    ..and even local Comcast NJ news moved out..

So, Don, where's those Jersey pics! I wanna see some Italian hot dogs !
                                    (just busting your chops; believe me, I've seen enough Italian hot dogs to last a lifetime!)

MiamiDon

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                      ellen4641

russ2304

Hey Don------thanks for great report and photos----what happened to the NJ part of report-----------did your indisposed state prevent a visit to the Great Garden state--???

Our poor little state of NJ, always gets left out, lol...
                                      we're squeezed in the middle;  we get no respect, lol............we've got the NY Giants playing here instead of the NJ Giants..
                                      ..and even local Comcast NJ news moved out..

So, Don, where's those Jersey pics! I wanna see some Italian hot dogs !
                                      (just busting your chops; believe me, I've seen enough Italian hot dogs to last a lifetime!)

I skipped Jersey on Monday (wasn't feeling so great), but I did make a couple of stops the week before, which I have added.  I definitely want to go to Jimmy Buff's and one of the White (whatever) burger joints next year.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                                        Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                        Great report.  I enjoyed every bit of it but really loved the  picture of the pastrami sandwich at Katz.  That is a terrific place.  The kids loved your photograph of the inside of Rutts and each pointed out where they stood to eat!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                          Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                          Don, yes, that Taylor Ham/Egg and Cheese sandwich did look a little light on the Taylor Ham. Most of the ones I've had have several more slices of ham. The ham should be the dominant taste in the sandwich.

<<
                                          Thus fortified, I headed to the Paramus Dutch Reformed Church to search the graveyard.  I was fortunate to find the  grave markers of my Dutch great-great-great-great-great-grandparents. >>

To that I say: Hope College - Holland Michigan! (I have a friend who went there).

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                             Don

Great report- Too bad we missed you at the Western Mass event last Sunday- not to make you feel guilty, but that's one of the reasons (among many)why I actually decided to do it.

Wow, lots of great CT, NY and NJ dogs!...I think between that, my coney tour in Detroit, Cajun King's Cincy Chili and Coney tour and a couple of visits to Teds in Buffalo, and of course the several Chicago Dog visits we have the entire gamut of hot dogs covered for the past year!

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                              Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 10:38 AM (permalink)
                                              hi Miami Don,
                                              White MANNA,  and/or White CASTLE !?!?!!!
                                              See you next year, if not sooner !

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                                Don, loved your assessments of your food adventures...but I think its really neat that you were able to see some family history along the way!

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  MiamiDon, about your comment about the crowds at Katz's - it seems to me there's always a huge crowd these days.  It doesn't seem that long ago when a visit to Katz's might have left you alone in the dining room.  It was sad.  Over the years the neighborhood has turned around, and they've all discovered Katz's.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                                    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

MiamiDon, about your comment about the crowds at Katz's - it seems to me there's always a huge crowd these days.  It doesn't seem that long ago when a visit to Katz's might have left you alone in the dining room.  It was sad.  Over the years the neighborhood has turned around, and they've all discovered Katz's.

Bruce, I can assure you that with the exception of the folks over 70, Katz's (and all of the other NYC Jewish Delis) the majority of patrons are touristas

• Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      wanderingjew

Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

Bruce, I can assure you that with the exception of the folks over 70, Katz's (and all of the other NYC Jewish Delis) the majority of patrons are touristas

I don't know - maybe.  If so, a lot of that has to do with the neighborhood not seeming so scary to tourists anymore.  But I gotta tell you, I go a couple of times a year and it seems to me that a fair number of Katz's customers are locals.  It's hard to tell, of course, and many of those locals might be from the outer boroughs, LI, Westchester, CT, and NJ.  But there are a lot of 20-something customers at Katz's who strike me as kids who've moved into the neighborhood's lofts.  I've never asked them, though, so I don't know.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                        Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                                        Don ~ I really loved your report. Damn, I miss the Northeast!
                                                        Btw, was the "bimmer" in the first picture your rental car? Sure hope so.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                          Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                          Just another comment about your terrific report. The pictures of your family's 19th century graves stones. Amazing! Thanks for trip. I enjoyed every minute of it. Vicariously, of course.

ayersian

Re:Wandering Around NY, NJ & CT Sat, 05/23/09 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            MiamiDon, super report!  You know, I've been to Super Duper in Fairfield twice and didn't think it was as good as people say.  They used to have a Super Duper in Monroe (conveniently catty-corner from Dr. Mike's Ice Cream!) that I thought was much, much better, but it closed a few years ago.  I'd much rather go to Rawley's while in Fairfield or make the drive down to Swanky.  Wish I could've met you in Western Mass, but I'm sure there will be a next time!    Chris

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com