Hot!Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
2013/11/03 19:39:14 (permalink)

Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is)

Well, I have been here almost a week and I have only tormented BB a little with my pie adventures so far, and only one burger to speak of, but tomorrow that changes, off to AL and the start of my search for the infamous "slugburger"

However since i am spending some time here in the MID State as they call it round here or "Smashville" when the Preds are playing.  I am trying to AVOID downtown Nashville at all cost this week, why you ask...  The Country Music Awards (CMAs) are at Bridgestone on Wednesday, and there must be a zillion tourists in town.  Broadway was shut down and allowed to become a pedestrian area.

I digress, I got here last Monday evening after a what should have been 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip due to natural gas line rupture, road construction, and BAD detours.

I posted my first stop of the trip over in the PIE, OH MY OH MY thread.
The second stop of the trip was posted in the Search for Nashville's greatest hamburgers thread.
Which leaves me to the rest of the time.

Sunset Family Restaurant here in Lebanon, TN is a very good family run place that is always full fo folk.

Tonight was no different, the special for the day was Country Fried Steak, and while good, I was hankering for some Broasted Chicken.

Now this chicken is wonderful and finger licking good, but to me it needed more pepper inthe coating, still it was tender and juicy.  usually the breast is too dry, but nice this one, it was juicy and wonderful.

Red Jello with fruit

Hushpuppies - hot from the fryer a slight sweet onion flavor

I really want to like their cornbread, but it is too dry and not enough sweet for me

Their home made rolls are much better and was kicking myself for not ordering them instead

Dessert??  of course
WWBBD??

All home made and YUMMY

Today, was spent watching football and chasing a bird around the house, so for dinner I thought about a place my dad said had the best brisket he had ever eaten.

Bar - B - Cuites in Mt Juliet, TN

http://www.bar-b-cutie.com/bbq/about-2/tennessee/tn-mt-juliet/

I tried breakfast here the day before and was not impressed, but breakfast is different than BBQ so i gave them another chance.

The parking lot had a slight smokiness to it even though the restaurant itself is in a BRAND NEW strip mall.  The interior had just  hint of smoke.  I like the color choice and the finish details.

The menu (no pic, use the website) was immense and full of wonderful choices.

I got:
Brunswick Stew
3 Meat Sampler (Brisket, "pulled" Pork, and Smoked Turkey)
Broccoli & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
Fried Corn Bread
Chocolate Hand Pie
Apple Hand Pie

The Bruswick stew was very stew like, nice and thick and yummy, a slight vinegar edge to it, full of meat and veggies

The 3 meat sampler

"pulled" Pork

Brisket & Smoked Turkey

Fried Corn Bread - Hot off the griddle and tasty

Bar - B - Cuties Sauces

and then the drops in order they are lined up with the bottles

Mild Sauce - Very timid and bland

Sweet Sauce - Smokey and sweet (think KC Masterpiece)

Tennessee Fire - Sweet & Sour meets Carolina Vinegar

Hot Sauce - Trying to be cute with the heat and ended with heat and no flavor

Carolina Mustard - it was mustard based

All in all was a decent meal, if not quite temp warm enough, the meats were good, but the "pulled" pork needed sauce, the other meats did not they tasted like smokey candy.  YUMMM

But the WINNER of the day and trip thus far...

Fried Apple Hand Pie

The crust was light and flaky, the filling was fresh not canned crapped, the apple were tenderwithout being mushy and the perfect balance of sweet to tart to cinnamonny

the came time for...

Fried Chocolate Hand Pie

A very nice home made chocolate filling, dark and yummy and HOT!

(eat your heart out Cliff)

More to come, tomorrow brings...

Be very very quiet were searching for slugs

post edited by CajunKing - 2013/11/03 19:43:00

31 Replies Related Threads

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/04 09:52:49 (permalink)
    Hey CK

While you're in the area, check out Bell Buckle Cafe if you haven't already been. I love the place and it's probably Mrs. Sippi's favourite Meat n 3.
    If for no other reason, go there for the Oatmeal Cake.

Also, south on 65 is Stan's Restaurant. Rumoured to be where the idea for Cracker Barrel came from. Outstanding food as well. Some great hams for sale too.

If you can make it down to Fayetteville, you can find yourself a Slawburger.

Another, further adventure may be to the Dixie Diner in S. Pittsburg. Also home of the Lodge Mfdg Co. There's a factory store for all your cast iron needs.

Not sure if you know about this but Mrs. Sippi has this on our "To do" list for sometime soon.

If I've repeated some of those links to you before I aplogize. A few too many blows to the head will do that to a person.

BTW, we should be in 'Bammy on the 26th

DT
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/06 17:25:14 (permalink)
    Delicious report CK!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/15 18:29:29 (permalink)
    Well time to start posting again, I have recovered (I think) from my pie coma of the other day and I have some updates to post so here goes.

Demos Restaurant - Lebanon, TN location
    http://demosrestaurants.com/

I really wanted to like this place better, but I think the owners have identity issues.  Do we want to be a steak house, seafood shop, italian family, or greek family, and when they try to do ALL of them at once, it hurts the overall expreience.

I was in the mood for Italian, and really wanted a good Linguini with white clam sauce, but alas no linguini on the menu and NO clam sauce either.

I finally decided on the seafood alfredo without vegetables, a side of brown butter & garlic spaghetti, and the house speciality spinach.

The salad had so much water in it that it ruined the dressing and the salad, which was sad because they use Marzetti's Dressings.

The entree came out and it looked as bland and boring as it does in the photo.

It needed, salt and black pepper and parm cheese to make it edible

The brown butter & garlic spaghetti would have been AWESOME, but once again they forgot  to drain the spaghetti all the way and the water mixed with the butter and garlic and it was mediocre at best.

The best items of the night were the garlic cheese rolls

and the WONDERFUL house spinach

Spinach sauted in olive oil with garlic and parm cheese, OMG was it good I could have ordered 10 more helpings and still wanted more.

The dessert for the night was the house made "Heath Bar Pie"

which was good, but OVERLY sweet and rich and I (who can eat 3 slices of pie in a single sitting) could only eat 1/2 of this "pie"

When all was said and done, it was an over priced, not very good experience, and one I will not likely repeat.  Olive Garden would have been MUCH better, except for that damn spinach (it still haunts my dreams)

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/15 18:35:00 (permalink)
    The next adventure was a stop at the local Awful Waffle for some breakfast.
    I know, but I do like WH's breakfasts and I knew Michael Hoffman would like to know to.

Yummy with an unsweet tea to wash it all down with.  markthe fry cook has been in the WH chain for 22 yrs, and really knows his craft. It is always fun to watch him at his work, and the servers even try to overload him, but he NEVER gets flumoxed and cranks the orders out hot and fast

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/15 18:44:01 (permalink)
    Tom's Blue Moon BBQ
    "Cause Good BBQ only Comes Along Once in a Blue Moon"
    http://www.bluemoonbbqlebanon.com/

Hand Carved Beef Brisket

3 Meat Sampler (Turkey, Beef & Pulled Pork)

Tom's various sauces

Tom's fresh griddle fried johnny cakes, light and tender, slightly sweet
    butter melting, yumminess

Tom's Bananananana Puddin

I did a RF review of Tom's and I still stick by that review, his food and his meats are wonderful and fresh, and this sign says it all.

post edited by CajunKing - 2013/11/15 18:50:23
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1087
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 01:58:15 (permalink)
    Great report CK. it is 2:00 in the morning and I am sitting here writing out my Thanksgivng menu and shopping list and alas when reading this report I am reminded that I need to include your spinach bake. It was a big hit last year and I definitely need to make it again. Hope you have a fun T-day planned as well.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 04:46:13 (permalink)
    Even though I had a great dinner outside of Milwaukee Fri. night, after reading and looking at the pictures of this report....I'm hungry at 3:45AM.   Well, done, as usual.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8328
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 08:14:54 (permalink)
    I am starving.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 10:43:39 (permalink)
    One a scale of 1-10...

1 - fragile little Jersey girl

10 - I just saw a ghost

Where would the Tennessee Fire sauce be on the scale?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 11:43:03 (permalink)
    Nice stuff CK!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/16 17:03:16 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

One a scale of 1-10...

1 - fragile little Jersey girl

10 - I just saw a ghost

Where would the Tennessee Fire sauce be on the scale?

LOL

It was not any where near 10, it was along the lines of tabasco hot, but not holy crap this is hot.
    So I would say about a 4.5 or a fragile little jersey girl walking down the wrong alley way after midnight.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/18 23:52:49 (permalink)
    Gabby's Burger & Fries
    493 Humphreys St
    Nashville, TN
    http://gabbysburgersandfries.com/

I was told by several people in Nashville that Gabby's should be on the top of my quest for the best burger in Nashville.  THEY WERE NOT WRONG!

Just voted 2013 best Burger In Nashville, and soon to be featured in an upcoming food network show.

Here is my first of 3 visits thus far.

Upon entering the door you are greeted by anyone and EVERYONE behind the counter, the order taker, Doug (the Owner), The grill man and the fry guy, they all greet everyone as they come in, and many times i heard the words "just like CHEERS" as customers were describing it to each other.

You know you are in for some good fries when right below the Mr Potato head collection is SACKS of REAL POTATOES

The place was hopping and it was barely 11:10am

The place where the magic happens

and the magic that the place creates

That was the Seamus burger (Gabby's LITTLE Brother), 5 oz of grass fed beef, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, mayo, ketchup and mustard with grilled onions.  Fresh cut fries (sweet or regular)

This place is awesome, but was too busy to really get a chacne to talk to Doug the owner, so I needed to come back (ok twist my arm to eat NASHVILLE'S #1 burger)  So more on that later on and a RF review too.

From there I got in my car and drove the 5 minutes to a stop that i knew would drvie our good friend Buffetbuster absolutely NUTS.

The Loving Pie Company
    http://www.thelovingpiecompany.com/

Another place just voted BEST of NASHVILLE!!!

They serve sweet and savory pies here, so CHOICES CHOICES CHOICES!

They had chicken pot pie and shepherd pie as the "pie"  of the day,so I ordered 1 Shepherds Pie, and then 1 Red Velvet Chess Pie, 1 Chess Pie and 1 Chocolate Peanut Butter Chess Pie.

The poor waitress was so flumoxed that one person ordered 3 slices of dessert pie she forgot to put in the order for my savory pie. 

However they made up for that by giving me a free DIET IBC Root Beer

So here are teh photos from the first stop of 2 to The Loving PIe Company.

So onto the good stuff

And then there was the piece of Red Velvet Chess Pie to go
    (my father's wife LOVES Red Velvet) 

And of course to rub it in a little more to BB

See how well I clean my plate.

Still coming up:

Rotiers
    Elliston Soda Shop
    Brown's Diner
    Gabby's
    Arnold's Country Kitchen
    Sunset
    Gabby's
    Loving Pie Company (savory & sweet this time)

Just to name a few places that I have been since i was too busy or tooo full to post.

post edited by CajunKing - 2013/11/18 23:54:45
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1087
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/19 09:56:55 (permalink)
    Hey CK, have you ever been to Bailey & Cato's?  My wife and I went there about 4 years ago and thought it was excellent.  I know she had smoked chicken and I think I had pork.  The place had a lot of soul food specialties like ox tails and neck bones.  If you are still there, it might be worth checking out:

http://www.baileyandcatorestaurant.com/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/19 10:53:34 (permalink)
    Was that a double or triple scattered, smothered, capped, chunked and covered?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/19 12:32:13 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Was that a double or triple scattered, smothered, capped, chunked and covered?

You sir know your WH hashbrowns, it was a double.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/19 13:08:04 (permalink)
    The occasional double is the best I can do -- usually it's just a single. But mine are scattered light, peppered and topped.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 00:49:44 (permalink)
    Ok so at this point my days and food has run together and I am WAY behind in posting my adventures.  I hit the higlights on the Pie thread and the Burger highlights on the burger thread, but there was SOOOOOOOO much more to discover while in the Mid State.

Gabby's Burgers & Fries - The First of several stops here

The crowd 20 minutes after opening

This place is small, but with counter seats, table and outdoor seating it can handle quite the crowd, AND a lot fo the orders are for to go.

You know a place is going to be good when the owner has a sense of humor, here is Doug's (The Owner) collection of Mr Potato Heads

There is 250 lbs of potatoes stacked there (remember this number for later)  Here is where the magic occurs, they crank out the food QUICKLY, and EVRYTHING is fresh made to order, not sitting around waiting for you to order it.

Not knowing how the rest of my day was going to be, as Ihad some 7 stops planned, I ordered light.

Here is the Seamus (Shay - Mus) Burger with fresh cut fries
    5 oz grass fed ground beef
    pepper jack cheese
    lettuce
    onion

OH WOW, the beef was tender and juicy and you could tell you were not eating ff crap on a bun.  Oh yeah the buns, they are made fresh every day by a local bakery and delivered each morning.  There is NO preservatives in them so they don't stay that long, and when they are out, THEY ARE OUT.

After that I needed something for dessert and wouldn't you know it just 5 minutes from Gabby's is The Loving Pie Company.
    http://www.thelovingpiecompany.com/

Doing my due diligence, I found out that TLPC has both sweet and savory pies, and I had only had lunch 10 minutes before so why not get something sweet and something savory.

I forgot to look at the special board when I came in, but a table that was sitting near me had just gotten their chicken pot pie and shepherd's pie.  BOTH looked and smelled wonderful and by the ladies expressions (imagine "When Harry Met Sally" but not quite as loud) I knew I wanted to try both.

So I ordered:
    1 Chicken Pot Pie
    1 Shepherd's Pie
    1 Diet IBC Rootbeer in bottle
    1 Chess Pie
    1 Red Velvet Chess Pie (House Specialty)
    and
    1 Chocolate Peanut Butter Chess Pie

I was texting my good friend CTD and BB with all the photos just trying to be the nice guy I am, and i think I was giving poor BB hunger pains. 

Now here is where the story gets funny.  The waitress asked if I was being joined by anyone, I told her no, but I am tormenting some good friends who couldnt be here today.  She laughed and went to put my order in.

Out comes the ICE COLD Root Beer, and in from the kitchen I hear "But there is only 1 person sitting at that table" and from the corner of my eye I see the cook looking out wondering where the rest of the crew is.

So a few minutes goes by and the cook brings out my 3 pieces of sweet pie, but no sign of my savory ones.  Ok so they take a few minutes to bake no problem.

I take my photos and I sitll see the cook looking out from the kitchen.  I had waited long enough and the sweet pies were calling my name, so i dug in.

I love a good root beer

Red Velvet Chess

Regular Chess

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chess

The crusts were flaky and tender, the fillings were not overly sweet, the pie was magic... IT DISAPPEARED!

The inside of The Loving Pie Company is brightly painted and Frank Sinatra was playing from the I-Pad.

After WOOFING down my pie, the cook came out and said " I knew you really didnt want anything else to eat, so I never made the other part of the order. 

Needless to say the owner and I spoke, and the cook apologized.  I did get a coupon for a free piece of quiche on my next visit.

I did grab a to go piece of Red Velvet Chess for my Dad's wife (she loves Red Velvet).

The next stop on my journey was aout 15 minutes from TLPC, Brown's Diner.

Brown's Diner
    http://www.brownsdiner.com/

Which was NOT a diner, but more of a neighborhood bar and grill.  i was told by several that their burgers are really good, so I had to try it.

I was still full from Burgers and Pie already but I channeled my inner CTD and ordered a Cheeseburger & Hushpuppies

Now when a place asks you how you want your burger cooked, USUALLY the burger comes out the way you wanted it.  Not here, I ordered Med Rare and it came out Blackened and Mooing. 

It was tasty, but not the "Best In Nashville" and I knew my next stop was going to be hard to beat REALLY hard to beat.

Rotier's Restaurant
    http://www.rotiersrestaurant.com/

This place is iconic Nashville, right off of Vandy's campus (try finding a seat on a home game Saturday).  It has been around for a very long time, and has the great standards to keep it around for many more yers to come.

Now I have been to Rotiers numerous times and one thing that I ALWAYS order is their Hash Brown Casserole.  It is Hot & Gooey Filling.

House made Chocolate Shake - Thick and Creamy and wonderful

The subject of the day's adventures - Cheeseburger on French Bread

Not one but TWO servings of HBC

and to top it all off

Lemon Ice Box Pie

BY this point, my body was screaming "UNCLE" but my brain was on a mission, and the next stop didn't help my body to feel any better, because only 3 blocks from Rotiers (just down Elliston Place) is

Any one?

Any One?

Yep, you guessed it

Elliston Place Soda Shop
    https://www.facebook.com/sodashopnashville

I was over stuffed and could hardly focus, but when I saw the FRESH pan of Banana Puddin come straight from the oven, I KNEW what I was going to have.

But what to wash it down with???

Pineapple Soda

By this point in time I was beyond full and I couldn't go on anymore, I had two more stops planned but there was NO WAY I could eat ANYTHING else.

So I drive around Broadway for a few minutes and got some shots of Broadway and the FAMOUS places along it.

Ryman Auditorium (Lynard Skynard was playing there the next night)

The new Country Music Hall of Fame and TPAC (TN Performing Arts Center)

Broadway Street (just up from Robert's Western World)

And finally for all of you fans out there

HOLY SCH-NIKEYS BATMAN

Afer this it was a quick 25 minute drive to Lebanon just in time for dinner

Sunset Family Restaurant
    Lebanon, TN

Fresh Brewed UN Sweet Tea and more of it

I came for the burger so here it is:

Sides of Green Beans - Ceamed Corn - Mac & Cheese

and for dessert:

Banana Pudding

Buttermilk Pie

Grandma's Chocolate Pie

I got home, laid back on the couch and promptly fell asleep (or lapsed into a food and pie coma)

This concludes 1 day in the life of "I wanna be like Greg or Cliff" 

will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 420
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 08:47:44 (permalink)
    I love those Rotier's burgers on French bread!  Those chess pies......all the different flavors!  Gotta try that place some day!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5042
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 09:10:04 (permalink)
    Nice job, CK -  way to get tough and fight through the obstacles!

mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 12:37:16 (permalink)
    OMG, what a trip.....! How in the world you can go on eating like that! Actually, I would love to be able to run around Nashville with you but I'd be just along for the ride. I am a big eater for a woman but after the first couple of stops I'd have to stop before I surpassed full capacity and...well...you know! Loving Pie Company's response is too funny but they really should have double checked with you rather than making an assumption that you were kidding. Did you go back for the savory pies later? I'm kind of surprised you didn't have them pack them to go or do they not hold very well? Or did you figure you would have no appetite? Don't be too hard or them. Obviously, they had never met the likes of you before!. That last sentence is from one character to another. People say that about me, frequently!. Some day I'd like to see you, Cliff, and the other big eaters get together on a marathon eating spree and see who quits first! Seriously, dear, don't overdo it and make yourself sick. We all love you and would hate to see that happen
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 12:47:01 (permalink)
    Terrific report -- except, of course, for all those pies.

But really, CK, great job.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4059
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 18:09:41 (permalink)
    Broasted chicken!

We have had a Bar-b-Cutie near us for six or so years.  It's really decent - i.e., better than Dickey's - for a 'chain'.  Your pics made me hungey - especially as they have added the Brunswich Stew and fried cornbread sine we last visited.

Thanks for the report!

Did you get by and "hot chicken" joints - like Prince's?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 19:04:46 (permalink)
    MJ - No Hot Chicken or Fish joints on this trip.  I hit most of them this past spring and this trip i was focusing on burgers and pie.  I would like someday to be able to do a side by side by side by si.... comparison of them all.

WW4B - Their chess pies are awesome, check them out on their website or their facebook page for the daily specials.  The Pumpkin Chess..... OOPS I haven't gotten to that one yet.  This was only my first trip there, and there will be MORE!

MLM - I have eaten with BB and CTD together, and Rotiers needed to add another table to ours to make room for all the food we ordered.  Put Cousin Johnny with us and they would have needed an 8 foot table.

SC & MH - Thank You, it was a fun and FILLING day!
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 19:50:30 (permalink)
    Oh, CK, I thought I was kidding! You AND BB AND CTD! I was about to say 'the waste that must have been laid', only, if you all had a good night I bet little was wasted! If you three ever all get there PLUS Johnnie, I don't want to just read about it. I want to be there to witness it. You don't happen to remember who had the cleanest plate, do you?" />" />
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/21 22:43:39 (permalink)
    Ok folks another day and another trip into Nashville:

Hmmmm where should I eat my first lunch of the day??  I know how about

Yeppers folks back to Gabby's Burgers & Fries

The Special Burger of the Month

The Shake menu too

I was hungry and ready for a GOOD burger, so I went for the Gabby Burger, with Bacon, Fried Egg Over Easy and Chili

This is Doug (The Owner), he truly is living the dream.  When you go to his website or facebook page, you can read Doug's blog about the experience of running a burger joint.

You will also notice the password protected SECRET MENU page.  I would tell you the password, but Doug likes the movie "The Godfather" a little too much and I wouldnt want to end up like this

The cashier ( I forget her name) was funny as could be, and was pushing Doug's latest dessert creation.

Only $1.65, this HUGE thing was 4 inches by 4 inches and almost 2 iches thick.  It had chocolate, peanuts, pretzels, marshmellow & Caramel.

WOW - was that thing RICH, I nibbled on it the rest of the day.

My next stop was going to be Sylvan Park, at thier new location (which just happens to be an old Swett's location) however i shuold have taken the left at albuquerque instead of the right.  I missed it and then got caught in the traffic around Vandy's campus, so I abandoned that plan and quickly found myself pulling into a familiar sight.

Arnold's Country kitchen and Soul Food Restaurant

I had ben worried about this place, because the night I got down to Nashville, the news story broke that there was a fire at Arnold's.  Luckily the fire department is literally just down the street and the fire crew responded quickly and doused the flames before any real damage could be done.

When I walked in the place was PACKED and not in the best way either, the tables were either occupied with people or STACKS of dirty trays and dishes.  The bus person was WAY behind.  It all looked good and smelled good too.

I went with:

Roast Beast
    Mashed Taters (real)
    Mac & Cheese
    &
    Mac & Cheese
    with a fresh johnny cake

Here is an interior shot of the place once some normalacy had returned

Lunch #2 was delicious, and the roast beast was perfectly rare to med rare, so onto dessert (again)

Chocolate Cream Pie

Chess Pie

Mystery Pie

They were OUT of the SPICY CHOCOLATE Pe for the day (Chocolate chess with a kick of cayenne)

I was very disappointed at the pies here.  I have had much better ones from here today they seemed to be "off".

The chocolate pie had a slight "wang" to it, it was edible but not braggable
    The chess pie was overly salty, which in a sweet pie is never a good thing
    The mystery pie (tasted like chess, but had the meringue on it) was the best of the bunch, but I dont know what it actually was.

After that stop I went over to the Parthenon

It has been bathed in purple lights for Premature Baby Awareness Month, it was beautiful at night, but alas I didnt have my camera the two times I went by at night, so I had to get this in the day.

I was going to stop at The Hermitage on the way home, but $19 for the 30 minutes remaining before they closed for the day, I decided not to do it this trip.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/22 19:48:01 (permalink)
    Another day and another trip into Nashville, by this time can you guess where the car wanted to go?? I didnt have to even steer it knew the way.  HONEST!

They are so fast at Gabby's it was hard to get a picture of them without it being blurry.  The guys behind the line we in FULL OUT mode, the orders came in fast and quick, but it never seemed to slow them down at all.

It is always a good thing to see the owner (yellow hat) hard at work, today he was the fry and shake guy, and he was BUSY with both.

So today would be the day to try the special burger of the month
    Santino's Love

Beef and sausage mixed. grilled to juicy perfection
    grilled onions
    grilled mushrooms
    marinara sauce
    provolone cheese
    fresh baked grilled with garlic butter bun

This was some mighty fine eating, a 3 or 4 napkin job, but it was worth it

I took a seamus burger home to my dad and he was in HEAVEN, he loves a good burger and now he knows where to go to get one.  Right across the street and the tracks from the SOUNDS baseball stadium.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/22 20:06:45 (permalink)
    After that mighty fine burger I needed something sweet and delicious, but where in Nashville could I find something that would fit that bill??

Oh wait, I still have my free piece of savory pie coming from The Loving Pie Company, and it is only 7 minutes away. Soooooooo

Wandering Jew would love this place, their coffee is famous and they serve quite a bit of it.

I mentioned before how colorful the place is painted inside, well here is another view

Specials of the day:

I got the special of the day quiche:

The broccoli mushroon and cheddar was a great combination, but needed a bit more sat and pepper (ok I LOVE pepper)

Then it was time for another round of serious pie eating.  I had trouble deciding which pies to get when the waitress told me the devastating news.... They were OUT of chocolate peanut butter chess " />" />" />

So instead I went with:

Cherry Pie with Pied Piper Creamery Gingerbread Man Ice Cream

This was one of those OMG moments, the tartness combined with the sweetness of the cherries that would have been good by themselves, but add to that the combo of the sweet ice cream and the spicy of the ginger and WHOA MOMMA was this some mighty fine pie.

Next up was their famous Pumpkin Chess Pie, now i would have never thought about a pumpkin chess, but when you think about it, it really does make sense.

This pumpkin pie packed a serious pumpkin and spice punch, this was NO libby's pumpkin from a can, this was real and wonderful.

For the last pie selection of the day I ordered the chocolate chip chess pie
    described as "Soft baked chocolate chip cookie meets warm chess pie"

That was another seriously fine pie, There wasnt a clunker in the bunch of 6 different sweet pies I tried.  I LOVED THM ALL.

As i was getting ready to leave I heard a commotion in the kitchen and sure enough they were getting ready to bake pies for the next day.

Hmmmmmmmm PIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/22 20:18:40 (permalink)
    On Thursday afternoon my dad and I went to Kavanugh's Irish Pub over in Mt Juliet, TN.  This place is a farily new comer to Mt Juliet, and the restauratn biz, the owners both have a STRONG Gaelic accent, and they are serious about their food being traditional Irish fare.

http://kavanaghsirishpub.com/

Walking in the place it reminded me of several pubs I had visited while in Ireland, the music, the accents all took me away from TN and back to the Emerald Isle.

We started the meal with and order of Scotch Eggs, it was between them and the hog wings in guiness glaze, but dad likes scotch eggs so

I was looking at the table card with the specialty drinks, and the last one caught my eye.

Dad ordered the 1/2 Reuben and Cabbage

I went with the fish and chips

Served with fresh cut fries and Malt vinegar

That was a substantial platter, those fish planks were HUGE and tender cod, that just flaked apart.

YUMMY

I will be going back again next time I am down this way
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 420
    Re:Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is) 2013/11/22 20:38:05 (permalink)
    Real men eat quiche!

And I am still stunned and awed by the rareness of the roast beast at Arnold's!  I would LOVE some of that!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1