Want To Bet? On Topic

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
2003/10/18 18:01:06 (permalink)

Want To Bet? On Topic

Marlins vs Yankees. The subject came up about food bets. Regional foods such as hot dogs, egg creams and pizza for New York.

What should Floridians bet against New Yorkers for a Marlins win against the Yankees?

My suggestions:

Key lime pie

Cuban cuisine food

Conch (are conch shells edible?)

Can anyone do better? What is Miami known for. How about Marlin? Sorry, that was a bad joke. I won't suggest dolphin either.

5 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Want To Bet? On Topic 2003/10/20 08:39:39 (permalink)
    How about ..

Stone Crab claws
    Alligator
    Orange marmalade (or anything with oranges in it)

And, NO !, conch shells are not edible !!! It would be like eating an oyster or clam shell !!! Might bust a toof !!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7892
    RE: Want To Bet? On Topic 2003/10/20 08:57:13 (permalink)
    Cuban Sandwiches, Pina Coladas (no not exactly indigenous to Miami, but that's what I drink when I'm visiting South Beach) and Conch Fritters
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Want To Bet? On Topic 2003/10/20 10:10:49 (permalink)
    Here's the list of items that make up the friendly wager between the mayors of New York and Miami. Compared with previous years, this year's bet seems to be going a bit overboard in the amount of foods wagered. Sure makes me hungry though.

From New York:
    Cheesecake from Junior's of Brooklyn
    Pastrami sandwiches from the 2nd Avenue Deli
    Peking duck from Peking House in Flushing
    Lobsters from Filippo's on Staten Island
    Roast pork from El Molino Rojo II in the Bronx

From Miami:
    Stone crabs and key lime pie from Monty's in Coconut Grove
    Cuban sandwiches from Versailles in Little Havana
    Durie cole avec poix rouge with poulet creole (Haiti's signature dish)
    Churrasco steaks from Restaurant Los Ranchos
    An assortment of rums and spirits from Bacardi, including the traditional mojito and piña colada mixers
    Other tropical rums, including Mount Gay Rum from Barbados, Bar Ban Court from Haiti and Appleton Estate from Jamaica
    Corona beer from Mexico, Presidente beer from the Dominican Republic and Polar beer from Venezuela
    Cuban coffee made by Café Bustelo and Pilon
    Tropical soft drinks Cawy and Jupiña
    A traditional Guayabera shirt
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Want To Bet? On Topic 2003/10/23 17:21:10 (permalink)
    Monty's has been around for a while. They used to be called Monty Trainers. I had many VERY nice dates taken there. I was able to watch the sunset over the bay from my car with my date.

The food was good. Sea food and such. They were mostly outside dining with a live band at night-usually Calypso. They had a few cats walking around taking scraps from the diners.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Want To Bet? On Topic 2003/10/23 17:32:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

What should Floridians bet against New Yorkers for a Marlins win against the Yankees?

This is funny. We did this superstitious bit last year during the NFL playoffs when the Bucs played the Eagles. The local papers even ran stories on which was better, the (Tampa area) Cuban sandwich, or a Philly cheesesteak? We wanted the Bucs to win (and win they did), but my hubby & I - both from PA and both now planted firmly in FL - just could not decide which 'wich is superior. If you'd held us up at gunpoint and asked that question, we'd be 6 feet under by now, that's how torn we are.

However, we did serve Cubans (without salami!) that Sunday, as well as Ybor Gold beer. And homemade key lime pie. And it worked!

I suggest if Marlins fans want to incite some winning mojo, that they serve up fried grouper.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1