Helpful ReplyWant to begin a build - Need advice...

Author
rajon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/07/16 11:49:03 (permalink)

Want to begin a build - Need advice...

Hi First post here
A friend and myself are giving serious thought to building a trailer  or a truck.
Presently I own a  cargo trailer it has alum exterior sides, 5/8 plywood floor and a fiberglass roof - the interior ceiling is alum sheet. It's 18' x 8' interior size.
I have another travel trailer that is self contained and I'd be able to use that as a donor rig for water storage tanks if nessecary.
That's about as far as the project has come so far.

We live in Northern California - Humboldt Co.
I'm looking for an info source on what the regs are and so forth on the construction.

I am presently employed at a scrap metal salvage yard and There's an abundance of used restaurant equipment there to be found super cheap, so that's a HUGE plus+... Lots of stainless and alum sheets as well, and plumbing and electric too.

Who do I talk to about the regs on design and building one of these?

Thanks in advance :)
post edited by rajon - 2014/07/16 11:51:26
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2043
Re: Want to begin a build - Need advice... 2014/07/16 23:25:56 (permalink)
Contact your local health dept, that will get you started.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re: Want to begin a build - Need advice... 2014/07/17 03:15:31 (permalink)
Ditto.
EVERYTHING starts at the Health Dept.
rajon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Want to begin a build - Need advice... 2014/07/19 12:51:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby younusjavaid 2014/08/13 15:14:13
The health dept has been a pain so far.
All I get is a recording. I guess I ought to just leave a msg and have them send me their 500pg pamphlet.
I was hoping to find someone from my area here who can be more helpful.
rubyhawaii
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Want to begin a build - Need advice... 2014/08/06 03:39:47 (permalink)
Go there in person.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
Re: Want to begin a build - Need advice... 2014/08/06 12:50:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby younusjavaid 2014/08/13 15:14:24
Regarding working with the health department and having trouble getting ahold of them ...

1) dig everything that they might have online out of their website first ... this is the easiest and quickest start you can get.

2) talk to a couple other local restaurant/concession owners for observations about the health dept and what they went through.

3) never assume that because someone else was allowed to do something or for that matter was allowed to use a particular piece of equipment that *you* will also be allowed to ... it does not work that way.  *Don't* buy equipment before you ascertain whether you will have to get each piece of equipment individually approved ... you can waste a ton of money that way.

4) yes, show up in person.  As painful as it is, suck-up and be nice.  They hold all the cards and many people at the health department are bitter and petty.  Many also are of the impression that they are little kings and princes unto themselves ... I digress.

5) IF in your local health department,  the process is to: a) submit plans with a fee ... b) then they approve your *plans* ... c) then you can go about getting the equipment together; then do it in that order.  Note that if you acquire damn near anything in advance you may waste money on equipment not allowed.

6) be nice to people at the health department ... ah ... did I mention that already(?).

7) Yes ... go down there, dressed nicely and with some concise, well thought and well researched questions to ask on the chance you are able to get an "audience".  It doesn't hurt to bring a few bags of fragrant, hot french fries with you to leave with the staff (ok, I'm only slightly just exaggerating on that one ... but just slightly).
post edited by Sonny Funzio - 2014/08/06 14:01:07
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1