Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/09/01 04:46:22 (permalink)

Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers

Several of the home appliance companies are marketing essentially warming drawers as slow cookers as well as holding drawers. Is anyone using any commercial units as a slow cooker? I own a few older US made Roundup./AJ Antunes units that barely make it over 225 degrees with the existing capillary thermostats. That's low enough to do a very slow cook of some tough meats in a full pan covered in foil. Just wondering if any of you do this.

21 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/01 07:39:35 (permalink)
    You probably won't have any problems as long as you use heavy cook ware for braising.  We have an old cheap oven that is very uneven at higher temps, but works great for braising at low temps as long as we use heavy cookware.  I prefer enameled cast iron for this type cooking, and found that the Ikea brands are a good alternate to La Creuset, they are more sensitive to chipping, but the cost difference makes up for it.  I've never like raw cast, as its a hassle to keep seasoned if braising acidic foods, and cannot be deglazed without loosing the season.   So as long as the warmer is holding a consistent temp, a good heavy pot should just help even things out that much more.
    post edited by RodBangkok - 2012/09/01 07:52:38
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/01 09:35:10 (permalink)
    Dawn,
    I have 2 and I use them to finish ribs and then to hold them. I'd be lost with out them. They work very well for what I use them for.

But I have never used them to cook anything from scratch. And I have bought new and used. Sometimes you can buy them on Ebay very inexpensively.

Edit to add Of course they are electric and so use a good amount of power.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/09/01 09:36:31
    DawnT
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/01 14:21:44 (permalink)
    Here's an example of how they're marketing them now as consumer products.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KEWS105SSS

I ran on of mine up max last evening and I was wrong about the top end being 225 degrees. Full bore hits 249, so it's essentially the same spec as these units  at way less amperage. Mine pulls 8.3A wide open, KA's above 13A. They don't seem to be offering any sort of a ceramic insert for theirs. Mine takes standard full pans up to 4" deep. I've only used them to proof, hold two half pans, fried chicken and hot dog buns. I have the Cadco out in the garage that's a pusscat on power and keeps the heat out of the house rather then use the kitchen oven until fall for oven needs. Just was thinking about putting these to some other use now that I've brought the other two back home.

Jack, I bought these at an auction for $25 for the 3 a couple of years ago. They needed to be disassembled completely, steam and lime cleaned they were so filthy with black mold, caked grease and scale, but cleaned up like new. I don't think that I invested more then $80 on minor mechanical, stainless hardware, and cosmetic parts to completely refurb them. Not bad considering they sell for over $800 apiece and the new ones are made in China with lighter materials.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/01 14:36:28 (permalink)
    Wow great price. And yes they are listing at about $800.00. I bought my most recent one on craigs list it was a new item that wasn't installed for a home remodel. It was on CL for about a month for $300.00 and I saved the phone number and waited another 2 weeks and called the guy I paid $175.00. Not near as good a deal as you got. But boy I love mine. The other unit (i just bought) is going into the step van.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/01 14:37:53 (permalink)
    Dawn,
    Wendy's uses them to hold their burgers in before they put the condiments on. I have one of those I bought on Ebay.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 12:53:34 (permalink)
    Wonderful way to keep your cookies warm...after pulling them before they are well on the bottom.
    DawnT
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 15:13:30 (permalink)
    Just wondering if any of you know of a standard pan or half sized covered ceramic insert that would fit with a cover. That would be ideal in this application.  Whirlpool does list temperatures that are associated with the equivilent of a crock slow and fast without much more information. Dacor expressly says no for theirs unless you use enamled or ceramic ware inside and still doesn't recommend leaving it unattended for hours and says theirs are not intended for continuous duty. Maybe those units are larger and have a non-commercial pan arrangement. No way to fit any of my enamled cookware in these units even if you didn't have the lid on. KA doesn't seem to have anything different about theirs then a standard, commercial draw besides a novel insulation arrangement making it safe for a counter build in.

CC, I wouldn't go there about the cookies. I have the half pan cadco in the garage which by all acounts is the ultimate cookie machine that I just use as my oven during the summer. It would be a crime against nature if I started baking cookies in it. The two of us would become fat as boars. Warm batches of cookies around for the evening? Too dangerous to even think about it....well a little.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 17:45:44 (permalink)
    Dawn once again I admire your taste in equipment. Cadco Convection Ovens are great but another top dollar item. What model do you own? I want one for my step van (counter top model)  and will buy one sooner or later but I have too many other items on my "To Get" list in front of it. LOL. But to your question on ceramic inserts no I have never heard of one.
    jack

PS There is a CADCO UNOX COUNTERTOP CONVECTION OVEN, for sale on Ebay right now that can be bought cheap. It's listed in the TUSCANY RESTAURANT sale ,in  NEW HOPE, PA. and unfortunately a pick up only item.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/C...mp;hash=item27cad47421
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/09/08 17:54:56
    Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 18:13:36 (permalink)
    I just bid on the oven, I have a brother in So;bury PA, next town to New Hope
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 18:18:03 (permalink)
    Do you have any Le Creuset oval Dutch ovens (or knockoff)?. LC is a powerhose/workhorse and the knobs are good up to 450 degrees. The Cadco is a tough cookie. Maybe babysit it once while going through the garage.

Santa brings all sorts of LC goodies...but likes warm cookies in exchange.

I have a unusual low very narrow Dutch made in Italy. But that was a thrift find. I also have a coffee/spice grinder made by Peugeot that is pretty cool...and rare.

Ovens are so tiny and narrow overseas...the best bet is to keep an eye out for an old old old bargain at the thrift or garage sale straight from Italy...Ireland etc.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/08 18:24:31
    DawnT
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 19:08:32 (permalink)
    Jack, I have the older OV-350 in 110V that's probably 11 or 12 years old now. We've had it about 7 years and it's been a wonderful oven. They've replaced it with a newer one or two since. Our's is quite lightweight, easy to clean, and pretty easy on the power by comparison to the kitchen oven. They're pretty popular here with the smaller, latin markets, Gas stations, and hole-in-the wall restaurants. Ours has a broiling/browning element, I don't know if the newer ones do anymore. I see them in private ads for as low as $350. Well worth the money or double that. One of the best investments we've made.

CC, lowest profile we have is one of lodge's Color's/ The profile is very similar to a latin caldero rather then a typical dutch oven and that won't fit. I passed on the flood of bargain LC oval ones that flooded the discount market labled under Rachel Ray and Paula Dean about 5 years ago which was probably a mistake. My other two are 3L & 6L Le Creuset knockoffs made by Tramotina. Foil on the knobs works good and I haven't had anything melt.  Can't see the point in spending a fortune on Snobware when these are just as good. I find it a hoot that LC  sells their metal knobs independently so people can 'upscale" their inexpensive enamled ware. Sort of like BMW selling an ornamental set so you can dress up your Ford.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 19:22:10 (permalink)
    I found some authentic snobware (Lol) at Marshalls on Staten Island for $15...and the MSRP is $250. I got it and sped across the border. I only hope I can get monogram knobs that says CC..so life can then be complete.

I find LC at the thrift but it must all come from divorces...because it looks like someone said I show you...spending all of my money on this!
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/08 19:29:24
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/08 21:36:08 (permalink)
    A Staub (be still my heart) Coq au Vin Cocotte 4.25 qt. might come closest to making it (without the rooster knob) but that's the best news. Staub is as snooty as Le Creuset...if not snootier...and beautiful.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/08 21:44:56
    DawnT
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 08:45:32 (permalink)
    I'm trying an extreme example this morning to see what the upper end limits of using the drawer as a slow cooker this morning. I'm doing a 10lb, marinated, slow cooked, roasted shoulder. It's not the way I normally do my Lechon Asado which is at 350 degrees tented until the last hour. I also don't take mine past 170 since it's usually used for sandwiches and sliced meat rather then a fall-apart roast.

At this level of temp, my primary concern is core temp. In a crock, you can butterfly a smaller roast. In this case it has to be whole. Further, it's heavily pierced and a garlic/mojo mash is worked into the holes and a citrus marinade has been injected and marinated 24hr in the fridge. Truthfully, this is done all the time by a lot of cooks including one of my kids that does her's at 225 b4 going to work for a fall apart roast in her oven. Yet, it's a perfect storm for bacterial growth especially since no nitrites or smoke is used. To be safe, it's going to have to fit the 40-140 rule in 4 hours. That's not going to happen with a warming draw maxed out at 250 degrees from a cold start. I started the roast uncovered in the regular oven at 400 for a half hour. that should have taken care of surface bacteria, but not the embedded ones. Now to see if the draw can maintain that ramp. I can see why some of the manufactuers decline to advocate slow cooking like Whirlpool/KA. Nothing in their litterature that I've found on the net seems to suggest otherwise, although they do make a point that the drawer is designed to accomodate cookware like enamled cast iron which has a much greater thermal retention then an H&P pan. I'm up to 90 degrees from 42 degrees (post 400 degree sear) in 50 minutes so far, so it looks good. Collagen plateau should be next hurdle at this temp range. I'm trying to approximate a crock as much as possible with the excess marinade added and tightly covered with foil crimped. If everything goes well, I'm finishing for the fat cap under the broiler afterwards. If this works out, I see some potential and next want to explore the low end and see how stable it can hold around 90 degrees long term for proofing.

All this work and I could have probably found a 1950's/60's tabletop Nesco that every home had but never used.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 08:56:54 (permalink)
    Good luck Dawn! Sounds delicious!

Hope it's a go!

I have a Nesco that my Sister gave me...never used. I am used to the Crockpot but I should break it out and give it a try.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 08:58:51 (permalink)
    I still see the table top Nesco at garage sales for less than $15.00. A lot of them come from estates and the people selling them have no idea what they are. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N...mp;hash=item25719a15f1
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 09:18:01 (permalink)
    Now that we're all hungry for Pernil at 9 am...what sides are we having?
    DawnT
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 10:39:06 (permalink)
    Child, if you ever come down here, I wouldn't recommend using that p word. I would expect it to be the same in Union City. I didn't have any plans to serve it today CC. Stuffed peppers are the entree today. I have some plantains that already are almost there and probably will serve with garlic perfumed, white rice at this point and pick up a cuban bread. I'm not sure yet until I get a consensus what if anything else.  We had black beans for a few days last week, so that's out as well as Colorados. Right now, it's just an experiment with a shoulder I couldn't pass up and bought cheap at .79/lb.

2h:50m to 140 degrees. This can work.

Jack, I remember as a kid, every house had one and they were always one of the wedding gifts. I never recall anyone using one.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 10:49:31 (permalink)
    Lol I lived in Union City for a year when I was a very very young Mother.. They forgive me & think it's charming...annoying...or both.

Nesco is a popular item on QVC. That's why I have one...when it come to this Sister.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/11 11:51:23
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 12:09:17 (permalink)
    Holy chicharones in your neighborhood! Don's report.

Those look extraordinary!!

http://www.roadfood.com/F...high=&m=711689&mpage=1

I'd be good for those. I swear.

Watermelon juice? Just watermelon or anything else added?
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/11 12:14:45
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Warming Drawers/Holding Cainets As Slow Cookers 2012/09/11 17:39:51 (permalink)
    Since the p word is on sale @ $.49/lb. starting Thursday...I have to try the Nesco....

Here's a fat cap that I forgot all about when playing cards one night. I would not have remembered it if my son didn't ask me what is the ugly thing in the oven? It was really good...and didn't burn the house down....

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/11 18:00:19
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1