Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2013/03/27 08:47:57 (permalink)

Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria

Will be in Georgetown Monday and Tuesday, need some ideas of where to eat
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 09:43:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
In Georgetown.....Filomena!

There is a thread with good places in and around the areas you will be in, but, this sites high powered search feature is still not working.  The dancing ads are working, but not the search feature.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 09:54:10 (permalink)
No offense to joerogo , but living in Rhode Island, if I should see another Italian restaurant it would be too soon.
I would take advantage of all the wonderful international restaurants that DC has to offer.
One I would not skip is Ethopian which DC has aplenty
In Georgetown you would be remiss not to go to Zed's
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 10:03:27 (permalink)
But Dale!!!!  We are talkin Veal Parm here!!!

COSTOLETTA DI VITELLO ALLA PARMIGIANA 
Fun To See ~ Great to Taste! A 20 ounce Veal Chop, thinly pounded, crisply breaded and pan fried. Topped with Tomato Sauce, melted fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese. Served with Rigatoni Pasta with Tomato Sauce on the side.  $42.95 

You are correct about the selection of International choices.  I like several of the Vietnamese places around Arlington.  And most are owner operated not corporate operated.  
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1078
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 10:47:09 (permalink)
I haven't had a chance to go here myself -- hoping to, when I'm in DC in August -- but Tom Sietsema of the Washington Post raves about the fried chicken at Liberty Tavern in  Arlington.

http://www.thelibertytavern.com/home.php
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 11:31:06 (permalink)
For a super pub and grub, try the Georgetown pub, The "1789" outside the Universities main gate in the romantic Georgetown district!!! It was a favorite hang-out when at Georgetown.

http://www.1789restaurant.com/main/index.cfm
 Here's their website...Gourmet Magazine has even written up their restaurant...and bring your camaera...pretty area!!!

By the way, the classic pub,next to the 1789, is called the "tombs" We called it the generic "1789" but the quiet little pub downstairs, is technically "The Tombs"
Here is their site
http://www.tombs.com/main...mp;Section=Our_History

THIS IS THE QUINTISSENTIAL PLACE TO SEE IN gEORGETOWN.

Lee
post edited by leethebard - 2013/03/27 11:39:34
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 11:55:49 (permalink)
rumaki

I haven't had a chance to go here myself -- hoping to, when I'm in DC in August -- but Tom Sietsema of the Washington Post raves about the fried chicken at Liberty Tavern in  Arlington.

http://www.thelibertytavern.com/home.php

rumaki, I wasn't very impressed with Liberty Tavern.  To me it was just another corporate adventure for an investors group.  Definitely not chef driven.  The food was alright, but nothing that would make me go out of my way........or cross the street.....  
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1078
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 12:10:03 (permalink)
Good to know. Thanks. I'll have limited opportunities to eat out in DC when I'm there, and I don't want to waste them.  A friend of mine and I have a tradition of having fried chicken together when we go to this particular conference, and I was hoping that would be a good option. When the conference was in DC a few years ago, we went to Georgia Brown's, which was, at best, OK.

I lived in Old Town for 17 years before moving to Minnesota, but the dining landscape has changed a lot since then.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 13:18:49 (permalink)
Clyde's -- http://www.clydes.com/georgetown -- casual, good for burgers, sandwiches, salads
Georgetown Cupcake -- http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/ -- for....cupcakes!

pancakes80
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 14:30:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I live near Georgetown and as far as I'm concerned it's a culinary wasteland.  There are much better restaurants a relatively short cab ride away.  The nicest restaurant in Georgetown closed some time ago.  Avoid Sea Catch if it's still there.  I was there with family and we ordered a 4lb lobster and they basically brought us a small 2 pounder and told is it was 4.  The table next to us got a kick out of it. Hearing the guy next to me go on about it with this thick RI accent just made things worse.  

How much do you want to spend?

Anyway, you might try 1789.  Martin's Tavern is bar food and is "ok."

If you're up for a cab ride and are looking for some ethnic restaurants check out some of these places:

(Not all of these are inexpensive)

Izakaya Seki:

Great Japanese bar food.  Excellent Japanese beer list and a long list of Soju.

Little Serow: (get there early or expect to WAIT), excellent Northern and Northeastern Thai

Rasika: Great indian food

Makoto Sushi $$$$ 

You could walk up Wisconsin and go to the wine bar at Bistrot Lepic.  I think they have Jazz on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  It's decent too.

Not far from Georgetown is Marcel's, which I guess is technically in West End.  It's alright but I don't hear much about it.  The chef whips up some great Boudin Blanc.

Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 15:34:55 (permalink)
I've had some good meals at http://www.southside815.com/index.html  in Old Town a few years back.
Roo
Junior Burger
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 17:34:27 (permalink)
Thanks
Roo
Junior Burger
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 17:38:06 (permalink)
Thank you, it looks so good
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1768
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 17:40:42 (permalink)
The Two Amy's...a bit beyond the National Cathedral, has always been known for its pizza, but I spent a delightful afternoon with two others at the bar trying a number of their small plates and some lovely wine.  I would suggest, however, if you can, go at off-peak hours or when it is not "family-time"  the noise level is decidedly loud; better in the bar area
Roo
Junior Burger
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 18:21:03 (permalink)
All of the suggestions have been great, thank you all for taking the time to respond
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2511
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 18:46:18 (permalink)
joerogo

In Georgetown.....Filomena!

There is a thread with good places in and around the areas you will be in, but, this sites high powered search feature is still not working.  The dancing ads are working, but not the search feature.

When Joerogo says it's good, it's good........Capiche
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 23:12:40 (permalink)
Lived in DC for 13 years, to say G'town is a wasteland is absurd!
Cafe Divan - excellent Turkish food
Clyde's
Chadwick's - brunch get the chesapeake benedict!
Boogiemongers for a sandwich
Pizza Paradiso for pizza
Filomena for hearty italian, gnocci, et al
1789 for historic colonial fare
Georgetown Cupcake, as featured on national tv
Thomas Sweets, ice cream
Kavannah's Pizza Pub, wood oven pizza
Max's Best Ice Cream
Old Glory BBQ (which serves up a variety of styles of BBQ each one hitting as close as one can get)
I could go on. wasteland my freaking foot!

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/27 23:15:07 (permalink)
oh yeah, Rockland's BBQ, kind of its own brand of BBQ. Max's Best Ice Cream is a good finish to Rocklands, located pretty much next to each other in Upper G'town/Glover Park.
pancakes80
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/28 08:00:52 (permalink)
At the risk of sounding like an ass:

These places are average at best.  Kavanaughs was fine for the local bar crowd before it closed.  However, there's a reason it closed.

1789 and Divan are ok.  

Max's is in Glover Park

Thomas Sweet is excellent, and I forgot about that one.

However, Georgetown is NOT a destination for restaurants.  I can't imagine sending anyone there unless they have a completely unsophisticated palate or are stuck in Georgetown and are desperate for a meal. I think that's why so many are still there.  Captive audience. Most of those restaurants are dinosaurs.  There's a reason few (if any) are listed on best restaurant lists.  Or any restaurant lists. They're mostly tourist spots. There are so many new and great choices in D.C., why stay in Georgetown?

If you want decent food you need to get out of Georgetown and go elsewhere.  I've lived in Glover Park (I'm about two minutes from Max's) for 14 years and I've lived in the metro D.C. area my entire life.  I'm not a sadist and I wouldn't send anyone to Georgetown for dinner.

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/28 10:19:55 (permalink)
For breakfast in Old Town it's tough to beat Extra Perks. An English influenced place that does a good solid breakfast.
http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...old-town-standard.html

When last we were there we went to the Quarterdeck (in Arlington) and feasted on crabs. It was awesome. It was also a very hot Saturday night with cold beer on the patio so that helped.
http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...1/07/crabapalooza.html

Maybe locals can advise whether or not crabs are a good idea in early April.

DT
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/28 10:41:45 (permalink)
If a person is going to Georgetown specifically, I wouldn't send them across the city to eat. There are places to eat there that are fine. 

I don't know if I'd classify Clyde's as average. It's the best burger in the city, and I could give a crap about "lists" - I'm no chain fan, but Clyde's does it right.  In this city, you know the lists are unreliable, largely. Popularity reins supreme. Out of the way neighborhood joints get pushed aside by larger greased machines. Ben's Chili Bowl is a perfect example.  Now, I do like Ben's, but the history is as much a reason to go there than anything else, and when there, the thing to get is a half smoke and chili. But for breakfast or sandwich for lunch, well, there are better choices for a greasy spoon, but Ben's gets all the attention.

I suppose I could spout off a gazillion places all over town, too. But, when a person says, "I'm going to Georgetown," I think sending them somewhere else is, well, no needed. They're there already. 

[I understand Glover Park is a different neighborhood (I lived there), but along Wisconsin Ave, it's basically upper Georgetown (the Holiday Inn is only 4 blocks to the south). I guess West End is right there, too. But I was never a regular to West End places, so I can't give recommendations - aside from Brickskellar if one is a beer fanatic...oh wait they closed too! (well their food WAS crappy!)] 

Now, if someone said they are coming to DC, certainly, I would go on about a myriad of restaurants, all of which are not in Georgetown. Certainly, Georgetown has lost it's grip on being the "place to go to eat" - the, uh, what I like to call, "malling" (both ruining and becoming a mall) of Georgtown is definitely a sign of how G'town is a tourist trap - but there are still things to find.

Your list is all high end expensive places, aside from maybe the Japanese place. This is Roadfood, so I guess my picks for a roadfood travellor is a little lower brow than the places you go. Now this is me, but if I'm going to send a roadfooder across the city, from where they are already going to be visiting, to eat, I'd give them a list of places that fits the roadfood m.o., not the $50 a plate places. But that's me. If this was a different site, I'd give different picks. For example, your list included a place on U St, but you failed to mention Dukem, which is fantastic food, in a much more affordable price point, which is what roadfood typically aims toward. Roadfood loves diners, what about The Diner in Adams Morgan (or Tryst), or Open City in Woodley Park? Or even more gritty, Florida Ave Grill?

But, hey, that's why multiple people post, to give multiple opinions. There's nothing wrong with your suggestions, they are, of course, top places to eat.

I didn't realize Kananagh's closed. I was a regular for a short time. I wonder where Tom (the bartender) is? The pizza there was great. And, as a native New Yorker, I know pizza. They also made a nice smoked salmon bruschetta occassionally as a special. Most likely, Kevin should not have bought Faccia Luna. The other Faccia Luna's are doing fine. If it went downhill, that's a shame. It was the perfect neighborhood joint.

Admittedly, I haven't been to Georgetown recently. And, I too, have witnessed its overall demise to mediocrity.

Tomorrow, I'm having a "date day" with my wife. We're heading to Phillips Collection. For lunch, we thought about going to Martin's for old time's sake. True, it's not out of this world, but I miss our old days in Georgetown/Glover Park. We would have gone to Kavanaghs, to see Kevin, but obviously, that's not possible. :o(

Anways, not trying to be confrontational here. With Zed's and couple other players, I wouldn't cast aside Georgetown so easily,  if one knows you'll be in Georgetown.
post edited by Scorereader - 2013/03/28 11:15:47
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/28 10:42:08 (permalink)
@Davwud....the Quarterdeck is very good for Crabs and Steamed Spiced Shrimp. It is fine in April, but the blue crabs will be from LA or TX (they are still great and usually larger) not from the Chesapeake Bay. I love that place....usually a little less pricey than Capt Pell's in Fairfax.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2511
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/28 10:56:04 (permalink)
I am also going Washington DC, I'll be there in June. I'll be watching this site for all the  Roadfood restaurant picks. I will also be going to the World famous Cubby's BBQ in Emmitsburg, Md .............The place is owned by an Irishman that makes BBQ and drinks Vodka.........how could that be bad.....................pnwc
NorthSouthern
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/31 01:54:25 (permalink)
Since Ethiopian is what DC is known for, I just wanted to correct some of the information above so you're not led astray.

Zed's closed a while ago and is now under new management operating as Das. If you have to eat in Georgetown and want to experience DC Ethiopian, this would be your only choice.

On U Steet, Dukem has gone downhill significantly in recent years. They do have musical entertainment on the weekends, which is fun, but the food is nothing close to what it used to be.

Ethiopic is the newest Ethiopian place in DC, located on H Street. Home style, simple place, all the priority is on the quality of the food. I took visiting family there once and when my mother commented on something she particularly enjoyed, the waitress and cook came to our table and gave her an extra sampling to-go to take back home with her.

Rasika was mentioned above for Indian, but the original one is located downtown in Penn Quarter. They opened another location in West End on New Hampshire Ave., which is much closer to Georgetown. The menues are slightly different, but both are the best spin on Indian you will find in the DC area.

But back to Georgetown, Filomena and 1789 as mentioned above are the traditional standbys. Filomena has the kind of unique atmosphere you'd be looking for in a visit, with the italian ladies dressed up and making pasta in the window and complimentary after-dinner drinks.

I know you said you weren't necessarily looking for Italian, but right on the other side of the alley way from Filomena is another italian place that doesn't get enough attention - Ristorante Piccolo. Solid food, they have a violinist making the rounds with a great personality and lots of stories if you care to converse with him, and a second story outside balcony that overlooks the street below if you can get a seat up there.

The most recent place to open up in Georgetown that might be worth looking into is Farmers Fishers Bakers down on the waterfront looking out at the Kennedy Center. It's one of those farm-to-table type of restaurants affiliated with the Founding Farmers restaurant that Michelle Obama made popular. Fresh food, unique atmosphere, good view.

As for Alexandria, wherever you happen to eat, definitely save some room for dessert and make the short drive to Del Ray for custard from Dairy Godmother.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/31 10:24:04 (permalink)
NorthSouthern, Great info.  Welcome to RF!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/31 17:38:43 (permalink)
NorthSouthern

Since Ethiopian is what DC is known for, I just wanted to correct some of the information above so you're not led astray.

Zed's closed a while ago and is now under new management operating as Das. If you have to eat in Georgetown and want to experience DC Ethiopian, this would be your only choice.

On U Steet, Dukem has gone downhill significantly in recent years. They do have musical entertainment on the weekends, which is fun, but the food is nothing close to what it used to be.

Ethiopic is the newest Ethiopian place in DC, located on H Street. Home style, simple place, all the priority is on the quality of the food. I took visiting family there once and when my mother commented on something she particularly enjoyed, the waitress and cook came to our table and gave her an extra sampling to-go to take back home with her.

Rasika was mentioned above for Indian, but the original one is located downtown in Penn Quarter. They opened another location in West End on New Hampshire Ave., which is much closer to Georgetown. The menues are slightly different, but both are the best spin on Indian you will find in the DC area.

But back to Georgetown, Filomena and 1789 as mentioned above are the traditional standbys. Filomena has the kind of unique atmosphere you'd be looking for in a visit, with the italian ladies dressed up and making pasta in the window and complimentary after-dinner drinks.

I know you said you weren't necessarily looking for Italian, but right on the other side of the alley way from Filomena is another italian place that doesn't get enough attention - Ristorante Piccolo. Solid food, they have a violinist making the rounds with a great personality and lots of stories if you care to converse with him, and a second story outside balcony that overlooks the street below if you can get a seat up there.

The most recent place to open up in Georgetown that might be worth looking into is Farmers Fishers Bakers down on the waterfront looking out at the Kennedy Center. It's one of those farm-to-table type of restaurants affiliated with the Founding Farmers restaurant that Michelle Obama made popular. Fresh food, unique atmosphere, good view.

As for Alexandria, wherever you happen to eat, definitely save some room for dessert and make the short drive to Del Ray for custard from Dairy Godmother.

SUPERB first post
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/03/31 17:43:33 (permalink)
I enjoyed the bar, the bar chat at Billy Martin's.
I'm pretty sure the bagel place I liked so much is history.
There is some renowned French place that SUCKED ... (If there was a where-gregg-doesn't-eat, I'd remember the name)
I actually always enjoyed Georgetown ... as a single grown-up.
What's the place across from the Latham Hotel that always had superb cheese steaks and other flat-top specialties, that hit the spot just before bed-time ???

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/04/01 17:55:24 (permalink)
Went to Martin's last Friday for our day date. I had the Cobb Salad, and my wife had a thing called Tavern Delight - it wasn't the most amazing crab cake, but it was a good combination and satisfying sandwich. The Cobb salad was fresh, the chicken a little dry, but plenty of bacon, crumbly bleu, etc.

We ended up at the booth where JFK proposed the Jackie.

The most incredible part of the day, though, was the Phillips Collection. What an incredible array of priceless art.

jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/04/05 15:25:42 (permalink)
The mere mention of Filomena's brought a smile to my face.  I was living in Washington when President Clinton took Chancellor Helmut Kohl to Filomena's for lunch. They must have eaten everything on the menu that day, and still took leftovers home! Check out this link for a dish by dish account of that eating frenzy-must have been like two hungry piranhas in an aquarium!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-02-01/news/9402010139_1_chancellor-kohl-helmut-kohl-german-chocolate-cake
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Washington DC, Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria 2013/04/05 18:47:38 (permalink)
Ray's the Steak tonight.  Filomena tomorrow night.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1