Washington DC

Author
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2009/10/23 10:48:37 (permalink)

Washington DC

Our very first trip to DC was in July, we only had one day where it was 102, our first night we ventured to
Paradiso Pizza (Dupont Circle)-Our first official meal in DC- We opted for a Pepperoni pizza and another pie with Sausage,Roasted Garlic and Mushrooms with a few beers and root beer. Friendly folks and good pizza, I think we expected this pizza to be wildly good and it just didn't quite live up to our expectations.

Ebbitt Grill-Cool bar,great martinis! One of the bartenders was kind enough to engage us in conversation about this and that so it was fun to pick his brain about DC and sports. I'd come here all the time for drinks if i lived near by. We did have breakfast here- ordered the corn beef hash and frittata, greasy but good. The breakfast potatoes had a orange hue color which makes me think this place is kinda of a turn and burn at Brk time- no real butter. 

Lunch at Ollie's Trolly

Good stuff eatery- Being a Top Chef Fan, we of course had to try this out. It was crowded as hell but totally worth the wait. I do appreciate the fact that the fries came in two sizes-regular and Snack size the snack size I believe is plenty for one person. The different flavors of mayo dipping sauces for your fries are very savory and delicious. The fries themselves were equally tasty. I found the famous Toasted Marshmallow Milk shake to be Too sweet but the flavor profile spot on. When you see the beef patties on the grill they look pretty small but once you are all done and finished with the whole burger I think you are completely satisfied. Two burger, one order of regular fries, one order of snack fries, one milkshake and one bottled water was $30.00.

Baked and Wired- in GTown- Is it me or do they need a bigger sign? Cute place with friendly service and really lovely baked goods. I ordered the Carrot cake and Coconut cupcakes along with a Nutella brownie and Peanut-shortbread cookie bar. Double Expresso-2 thumps up!

Rasika on D Street-We were fortunate enough to have a great server which really made our dining there a treat. All the food was served hot and the presentation was very nice. All the sauces were wonderful, I see why they jar some for retail.

Cake love on the waterfront near the Gaylord Resort and Conference in VA- A small place with one table inside and one out I was disappointed at this $5.00 piece of Chocolate on Chocolate cake which tasted ordinary. 

Central on Pennsylvania Ave- Oh WOW! Would love to go here all the time and just work my way though the menu. Great service, I can see why this establishment won a James Beard award. We ordered the Bacon and Onion Tart- it looks alot more like a flatbread than a tart, Frisee Lardon Salad with a Poached Egg and Bangers and Mash. The salad was lovely perhaps a bit overdressed, the sausage and mash was a delight indeed especially when you add a little spicy mustard. The mash potatoes were pure buttery goodness. 

[font="helvetica; font-size: medium; "] Komi-WAY,way,way too expensive and overhyped. Had about 20 plus courses-the first ones were literally 1/2 to 1 bite. The main dish was Roasted baby goat. Service was lovely, we choose the Chef's tasting menu with three glasses of wine. Pictures are discouraged, we politely asked and told the Chef requests no pictures. Fine, no problem not a big deal. Some of the tastings had a tad bit too much finishing salt.
I can't say we felt rushed though the meal but the second we were finished with our tasting our plate was picked up and your next course was there for you to eat. I think we were out of there in about 2 hours. We had originally had our dinner reservation for Tuesday but they called us and informed us "something is wrong in the kitchen" and we had to reschedule. My husband and i thought that was code for Obamas were having dinner there but alas no... the kitchen stove or oven broke down. Some lovely dishes, fine food but wish I kept that City Zen reservation instead.

Potenza-Italian restaurant which was right across the street from our hotel on 15th St. We ate there at 9:00pm and it was still pretty busy. Kinda reminded me of a glorified Olive Garden and I DO NOT mean that in a negative way because our food was good and the service was charming. I had the chopped Antipasta salad and my husband ordered the Mushroom Risotto. The next morning i actually went over to the bakery side and ordered a cappucino and Nutella Coffeecake, coffee was great, coffee cake-not so much.

BLT Steak on I Street-Out of this world Popovers!! The rest of the night was bumpy. Our server was not having a good night and it was only 7pm. She seemed kinda short and only smiled when she had too. I know this will sound lame to some of you but the size of some of the dishes are ridiculous-too much!! Serve less and lower the price. My pork belly tasted great but there were 2 square pieces piled a top each other...you only needed one piece..pork belly is extremely rich. We ordered Double cut grilled bacon-too charred for me but three pieces would have been plenty than four. We found the onion rings to be Super doughy-terrible! The sides were presented well (asparagus and gratin) but quite bland. The 12 oz filet was quite tasty however the Chimichuri sauce was just like tasting straight vinegar. 

BLT Steak's Wonderful Popovers- they are so good the restaurant even gives you a recipe for them

BBQ Pork belly

Double cut Grilled Bacon
  We ate at Rosa Mexicano at National Harbor-wish we had one in my town, it may be corp. but damn its good!

We ventured out to Reston, VA one day and had Thai at Luang Restaurant in Herndon- we ordered about four different dishes which included Tiger Chicken, Duck Basil, Ginger beef etc with a few beers- Wonderful food and very friendly folks that serve you.

All in all our first trip was great! Can't wait to go back, perhaps when it's not 102 outside  :) Mercy!!

post edited by Mrs.Crunch - 2009/10/23 11:21:57

18 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 11:57:40 (permalink)
    filomena for italian. I was there last night. Anything in lobster sauce is great. Calamari is nothing special but not bad.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 11:57:55 (permalink)
    And very nice report.
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 12:00:32 (permalink)
    Mrs. Crunch, great trip. One question, the burger on the left in the Good Stuff Eatery looks like a chicken sandwich or some kind battered, deep fried burger (Hmmmm, there's an idea) or is that just cheese or something?
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 12:04:18 (permalink)
    Beautiful pictures and writeup as always Mrs. Crunch.  So is Good Stuff Spike's place?  I watch Top Chef but don't pay attention to much of the extracurriculars.  Those fries did look good, and I'd take that burger from Ollie's Trolley and the bangers and mash any day.  The Mexican stuff looks tremendous too.  Dammit, now I'm hungry.  :)
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 12:11:29 (permalink)
    Wintem01,  your right it does look battered however, indeed it is just a hamburger with Apple smoked Bacon, Vermont cheddar, fried onions and Chipotle BB sauce. $6.69
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 12:14:34 (permalink)
    Hi Nancypalooza,
      Indeed , Good Stuff is Spike's place. Didn't much care for him as a person on Top Chef, too much of a smartypants but I will say the man knows how to make a great burger. 
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 19:01:30 (permalink)
    Excellent report and even better pictures yet again Mrs. Crunch!
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 19:38:30 (permalink)
    Awesome report Mrs. Crunch, everything looks amazing. I would love to try everything just the way you did. That pizza does look "wildly good" too bad it wasn't.

"I ordered the Carrot cake and Coconut cupcakes along with a Nutella brownie and Peanut-shortbread cookie bar. Double Expresso-2 thumps up!"

Wow, that's a nice way to start the day! Too bad about Cakelove, I hear they're supposed to be excellent.

If you don't mind me asking...much was the tasting menu at Komi?

That pork looks fantastic!

I love that they give you the recipe for the popovers. I always find it funny when places won't give out their "secrets"...if you make really good food it's not like people will stop coming for it just because they have the recipe. You see it ALL the time on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives or similar shows...the places won't divulge ingredients and techniques. I love when places go against that and tell you exactly what they do. They have security in the fact that they make the dish the best and know you'll probably even come back more since they were so open and friendly.
    post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/10/24 07:42:07
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 20:24:26 (permalink)
    Mrs.Crunch BLT Steak's Wonderful Popovers- they are so good the restaurant even gives you a recipe for them

Two things:

(1) Would you mind sharing that recipe?

(2) And glad you hit Old Ebbitt Grill for breakfast. So many people (including those actually residing in DC) have no idea that the place even serves breakfast and, yet, every morning meal I've ever had at the place has been great.

Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 23:16:42 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

Awesome report Mrs. Crunch, everything looks amazing. I would love to try everything just the way you did. That pizza does look "wildly good" too bad it wasn't.

"I ordered the Carrot cake and Coconut cupcakes along with a Nutella brownie and Peanut-shortbread cookie bar. Double Expresso-2 thumps up!"

Wow, that's a nice way to start the day! Too bad about Cakelove, I hear they're supposed to be excellent.

If you don't mind me asking...much was the tasting menu at Komi-WAY?

That pork looks fantastic!

I love that they give you the recipe for the popovers. I always find it funny when places won't give out their "secrets"...if you make really good food it's not like people will stop coming for it just because they have the recipe. You see it ALL the time on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives or similar shows...the places won't divulge ingredients and techniques. I love when places go against that and tell you exactly what they do. They have security in the fact that they make the dish the best and know you'll probably even come back more since they were so open and friendly.

Hi Eating the Road, Thanks for your comments.....Ohhh gosh, I think the tasting menu at KOMI was about $125 a person

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 23:22:49 (permalink)
    That's not tooooooo bad but I'd expect a 3 to 4-hour dinner as opposed to 2. Would you say it was worth it?
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 23:27:33 (permalink)
    i95

Mrs.Crunch BLT Steak's Wonderful Popovers- they are so good the restaurant even gives you a recipe for them

Two things:

(1) Would you mind sharing that recipe?

(2) And glad you hit Old Ebbitt Grill for breakfast. So many people (including those actually residing in DC) have no idea that the place even serves breakfast and, yet, every morning meal I've ever had at the place has been great.

Of course I'd love too!
    POPOVERS-Makes 12
    4 Cups of Milk, warmed
    8 Eggs
    4 Cups Flour
    1 1/2 heaping TB Salt
    2  1/4 Cups Grated Gruyere Cheese
    Set oven temp to 350 WITH Popover pan inside oven to heat up
    Whisk Eggs till frothy and SLOWLY whisk into Warmed Milk (Set aside mixture)
    Sift Flour and Salt
    Slowly add dry mixture to Milk mixture till mostly smooth
    Remove Popover pan from oven and spray with non-stick Veg oil
    Fill Popover pans with your batter ( 3/4 of the way full )
    Top each Popover with 2 1/2 TB of grated Cheese
    Bake for 50 minutes then rotate pan and bake for another 15 mins
    Serve Immediately!

Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/23 23:48:20 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

That's not tooooooo bad but I'd expect a 3 to 4-hour dinner as opposed to 2. Would you say it was worth it?

Unfortunately, we don't think it was worth it, which is ironic since last months Gourmet magazine pointed out KOMI as being "Restaurant's worth the Money" City Zen might have suited us better since the Chef there apprenticed under Thomas Keller at the French Laundry in Napa to which we had our honeymoon dinner. Since the stove was broken KOMI had to cancel our Wed. night dinner reservation, they would have been backed up on bookings so perhaps they wanted to squeeze a few more diners in that night and quicken the pace of the courses. We only had that Thursday to eat dinner there, the next day we were leaving so they basically HAD to seat us that night. Am I glad I went?.....sure....now I know to be a little more level headed when it comes to over-hyped restaurant media  :)
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/24 07:44:27 (permalink)
    KOMI, City Zen & French Laundry....man am I jealous. Have you been to Per Se?

Do you have pics/write-ups on any of those places? What other "high-end" spots would you recommend? I would love to go to all of the above. I love Yountville and am trying to get a seat at French Laundry soon.     
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/24 08:21:52 (permalink)
    Great report. Enjoyed the pictures and the commentary.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/24 09:09:22 (permalink)
    The burger at Ollie's Trolly looks good but the bun to meat ration looks a little off. The bun looks massive to the amount of burger there!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/24 11:33:36 (permalink)
    I was not a Spike fan either.  I'm usually turned off by the big-swinging-you-know-whats on that show.  Especially when they're 25.

I was in Dallas last weekend and had two meals at a great place called Kenny's Woodfire Grill or something like that and the bread served was popovers, so now I've got the itch.  Thanks for posting that recipe--it may get a whirl in my household!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Washington DC 2009/10/26 10:02:12 (permalink)
    Nice report! You even hit a few places I haven't been to. (I should also mention that I rarely get to the burbs.)

I find Good Stuff Eatery to be way over priced. $15 for a burger fries and drink? At essentially a fast food place? Five Guys isn't even quite that expensive and they have double burgers and better fries. But, the best burger in DC is at Clyde's. I would suggest either Georgetown or in Chinatown/Verizon Center.

Wondering, too, what was the allure of Reston? I'm not being sassy, I always wonder what people go see outside of the beltline - aside from Great Falls and the Battles of Bull Run , er um, the Battles of Manassas.

Enjoyed your pics and descriptions! Thanks!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1