Washington, Virginia?

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2011/09/25 15:11:36 (permalink)

Washington, Virginia?

Well, this is a sort of pulling-your-leg, because the main (and perhaps only?) restaurant in town is the exquisite Inn at Little Washington.  I ate there last year, and can't wait to go back - we have reservations in Nov.
Has anyone lese been there? 
Also is there any other place you know of that is similar (ie - non-urban) and that top quality (in USA)?

9 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/25 15:22:53 (permalink)
    I have been there.  A friend took me there this summer.  We also stayed there.  The food was great and our room was lovely  but   I believe it set my friend back over $1200.00 and it was not worth that much at all.

I would have rather eaten crackers and sardines in a cheap hotel room and donated that kind of money to hungry children.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 329
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/25 15:30:34 (permalink)
    Have not been there - yet. Five of us are trying to coordinate our schedules to go there.  For dinner, not to stay at the inn.  NYNM, you must have really enjoyed it if you are returning.  Would you please share your experience after you go? 
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/25 15:57:15 (permalink)
    This place has the reputation of one of the best restaurants in America.
    http://www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/
    First of all, I went for an Easter brunch, which was at a lower price(don't know how often they do brunch, not regularly). Secondly, we went with my 17 yo daughter, who isn't much of an eater. Although meals are prix fixe, I mentioned to our server that she wasn't that hungry, is it possible to order ala carte? They said "Well she can order from the children's menu." I thought she looked a bit old for that, but no, it was OK, I asked "what's on the children's menu?" They said "she can have an appetizer, and main course, whatever you want, we make to order. " I said, huh, they said, sure, does she want a chicken? pasta? a burger? sandwich? cOh, and she can pick any dessert she wants on the adult menu (dessert menu quite special and extensive). And they charge about a third of prix fixe,and my daughter was more than full.
    The setting is lovely (small old inn in country), service excellent, food wonderful, beautifully presented. I am pleased to spend $ for a good meal, I consider it a mini-vacation,entertainment like theater, and with taking some "home" maybe 2 days of delicious eating!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/25 16:05:19 (permalink)
    BTW Inn at LW is very expensive to stay there, at least $500 per room. But there are some B&B's in the area. We actually stayed at the Marriott Ranch, within 15 min, which actually the Marriott family ranch, a 4,200 acre ranch in a circa 1814 Manor House. We were the only guests there, and they made breakfast to order in the Marriott's dining room! We had use of the ranch to walkand hike, could go horsebackriding, and just sit on the rocking chair on the provh overlooking Blue Ridge Mnts. And it was less that $150 per night.
    http://www.marriottranch.com/
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/25 23:36:25 (permalink)
    Greymo
    ...I believe it set my friend back over $1200.00 and it was not worth that much at all.

I would have rather eaten crackers and sardines in a cheap hotel room and donated that kind of money to hungry children.

Oh, please.  That sounds a little bit like the logical fallacy Post hoc ergo propter hoc.  Just because you DIDN'T spend $1,200 on a meal, doesn't mean that you are going to donate the money to a soup kitchen.

Don't make it sound like you've never spent any money on an extravagant meal.  For that matter, perhaps you are suggesting that there is a baseline dollar amount at which a meal should be valued - and anything more than that is wasteful and would be better spent being donated to save the children?

If you think it is overpriced, that is one thing.  I think we have all had meals that we felt should have cost less out of pocket.  But, to say that someone could have better spent their money on charity rather than spending it on a nice meal (no matter how over the top) is just a load of crap.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/26 07:43:16 (permalink)
    Listen to him Greymo.  When it comes to crap, TTM is an expert.  In Latin, he is known as Crapus Maximus
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/26 12:28:44 (permalink)
    My way of getting around the price was eating a cookie on the porch of LW and claiming I ate there. It is on my "someday" list. I am proud to have LW here in central VA because it put our local eating scene on the map.

In nearby Culpeper there is a restaurant called Foti's staffed by some Ex-Little Washington-ers. The food is delicious. Also, in Staunton, Zynodoa's owner is another alum who makes some very impressive meals. So if you don't have a wad of cash you can still eat a gorgeous meal in the area. 

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6174
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/26 12:51:00 (permalink)
    My wife and I took her best clients there for dinner some years ago, before I opened this place. There were 6 of us, one of the guys was  Wine snob, so I told him to order the Wine. The bill was $3000.00 before tip, most of it Wine. Was I pissed? Yes I was pissed. That said, it was the most incredible dinner I've ever had. Patrick O'Connell,owner/Chef, gave us a personal tour of the kitchen and grounds....I guess even he was impressed ith the tab!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Washington, Virginia? 2011/09/26 18:08:50 (permalink)
    In all fairness, while I really liked the food part, I also had issue with the wine. At Easter brunch, I first ordered a glass of the "house wine", perhaps $12. Then during the meal the sommelier was wandering around. I asked her (yes her) for a second glass of wine, maybe something different that would go with my lamb course. She beamed, poured a bit of something in my glass to taste. It was pretty good (not great but good), so I said OK. At that point I didn't think to ask how much was the glass - I figured maybe it was a bit more expensive than my $12 glass.

I only ordered on glass of it. The bill came, and it was $68 a glass!
    Now, that is the one part of the meal I did not like. I had forgotten that since I enjoyed everything else so much. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1