Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10514
2008/10/13 13:25:28 (permalink)

Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD

Last week, both my girlfriend Mariton and I were craving crabs. So, we decided to make an impromptu weekend visit to Maryland. (While I am writing this, I am snacking on Berger's cookies!) I'm not going to bother to do a full trip report, because I don't have enough quality photos. Yeah, I'm a slacker! I may just write about a few of the places we ate at in the appropriate threads.

One of the places we visited was Waterman's Crab House

in Rock Hall, MD. There are a lot of places to eat crabs in Maryland, but we chose this place for three reasons.

1) They have steamed crabs.
2) You can sit outside overlooking the bay.
3) It appears in the latest Roadfood book.

This place is quite a hike from Baltimore. Once you cross the Bay Bridge, it still another 50 minute drive. We arrived around 3:30PM on Saturday and were seated on the back deck overlooking the water. The place was very busy, which is no surprise on an 80 degree sunny day.

Here is a view from the dock, which shows you just how close the outside deck is to the water and all the boats. It seems a lot of the people eating here came by boat.

And here is some of the view.

The specials board for lunch.

Since we came to eat steamed crabs, we ordered a dozen of the large. The waitress informed us that they also have jumbos, but we felt the larges would be plenty. Soon, the busboy stapled brown paper onto our table and the dozen crabs were dumped before us.

Nice looking, decent sized crabs!

I have to admit that I am generally not a fan of picking through steamed crabs. It is a lot of work, for not much reward. Like my cousin Johnny said, "I could starve to death eating this food". But the meat you do get out is delicious and of course, incredibly fresh. And it can be a lot of fun with the right people and the four of us definitely had a good time. It goes without saying that making a big mess and smelling of crabs the rest of the day is just part of the experience.

Here is Mariton enjoying her meal.

And here is Johnny and Mariton's daughter Emilou in between working the hammer and pick.

Since we needed other food to keep up our strength through all that labor, the ladies each got a half dozen raw oysters.

Johnny got the Maryland fried chicken.

I had a small piece and the chicken was properly juicy. Good, but not worth the drive alone. He also really liked his potato salad.

I got started with the cream of crab soup.

Nice and creamy, although there didn't seem to be very much crab itself in it. I also got a half rack of ribs/crabcake combo.

The ribs were fine, but nothing special. I also thought the crabcake

was above average, but the ladies swooned over it. They both thought it was superior to the ones we had the night before at G & M Restaurant, but I have to strongly disagree.

We ended up being here so long, the specials board switched over to the dinner specials.

If you are looking for a place to enjoy some steamed crabs in a nice setting, Waterman's Crab House is a fine choice.

http://www.watermanscrabhouse.com/home/

11 Replies Related Threads

brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 14:15:26 (permalink)
    buffetbuster. How many of there were you eating? Wow, all that food looked great. I know I would have to get the crab, but then whaat about the all the other offerings. Could you imagine if they offered a buffet withh all the different choices?
    I have to say again what this does to us poor Daytonites.
    If I looked back on every review on this board...This would be #1 choice for me.

Actually looking at the web site they have a buffet on the 25th. I hope some on e sends some pictures.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 14:28:49 (permalink)
    brittneal-
    You sound like a real crab lover! There were just the four of us. It would have been nice to have had even more people so we could have tried more things.
    KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 14:42:12 (permalink)
    Looks great Buster. I was on the mainland a few weeks ago in the Va./Md/ area and feasted on blue claw crabs as much as I could. The day before I was scheduled to fly home, we had a crab festival at my sisters home in Rockville, Md. My brother in law ( a really good guy) bought a whole bushel of the large steamed crabs and we all had a blast. I maxed out after eating 20 crabs plus 4 ears of corn, coleslaw and a hamburger. On the trip I also chowed down on quite a few crabcakes and plenty of fried soft shell crabs.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 14:58:24 (permalink)
    KonaErnie-
    Nice photo! So how long did you smell like crabs?
    KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 15:02:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

KonaErnie-
    Nice photo! So how long did you smell like crabs?

BB, No wonder people were giving me the sniff on the long journey back to Hawaii. I also had a bunch of folks asking it the could lick my fingers as I still had the Old Bay taste on em for days.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 15:14:19 (permalink)
    A waitress at LP Steamers (near Ft McHenry) taught me to open a packet of saltines when done with the crabs and crush them in your hands and rub them like you were soaping up.

While it doesn't replace washing hands, it does take away a good deal of the smell. Try it next time you're pickin' crabs. Of course this doesn't work for what gets on your shirt, face, hair, etc.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 15:19:49 (permalink)
    A squeeze of fresh lemon on the hands/fingers works well also.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 15:21:32 (permalink)
    I hate to say it, but we were wearing that smell the rest of the day as a badge of honor!
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/13 15:54:00 (permalink)
    buffetbuster. The only time I ever had a whole blue crab was precooked out of the sea-food counter at Jroger. I gently reheated it and it was still dry and tasteless. Ive never had the chance to go to a crab house living in the middle of the country we are sorely deprived on shellfish.
    Having eaten King, Dung., Snow and stone claws I know im a crab lover. Just doesnt look like Ill ever get a shot at it.
    I imagine the damage I could do on the buffet. Id leave the other stuff go and nail the crabs and oysters.

I worked in a few place serving fresh steamers so i know i could go for a bucet of those as well.

my bet is a clam shack or crab house here in Dayton would have a line out the door.
    britt
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/14 07:26:59 (permalink)
    I have been to Waterman's and it's a great place. It probably is the closest crab house to NYC since it is in tje upper bay area. Did you go to Chestertown nearby, a very pretty litle Cheaspeake town?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Waterman's Crab House/Rock Hall, MD 2008/10/14 08:01:45 (permalink)
    NYNM-
    Yes, we did drive through Chestertown, which is a lovely little town. Johnny and I paid special notice since our cousin Chris attended Washington College there. The entire drive to Rock Hall and back was very nice.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1