Wawda Ice/Wooder Rice

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/07/19 11:06:57 (permalink)

Wawda Ice/Wooder Rice

So, in our Eye-talian neighborhoods of NY snd PA we get delicious "water ices". I grew up on 'em, squeezy cup and all. Great flavors. Long lines. Lemon Ice King of Corona.
Where else in US can you get this summer treat?

2 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Wawda Ice/Wooder Rice 2005/07/19 11:52:36 (permalink)
    There are gelaterias all over the Bay Area and most of 'em sell sorbetto as well as gelato. I realize there's a subtle difference between sorbetto and a true water ice, but around here they often serve the sorbetto is "squeezy cups" too and it's awfully good. The best place to get it used to be on Columbus Ave. in North Beach but I forget the name and don't know if it's still there. Gelato Classico and Ciao Bella are two chains around here that have it. And then, since Chinese is really the largest local ethnic group (larger than us "Euros"), we have "Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream--Italian Ice Cream with an Asian Flair".

I also recall Italian ice was common in Baltimore from when I was in school there.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Wawda Ice/Wooder Rice 2005/07/19 11:57:49 (permalink)
    Interesting....
    I know you know, but I think the difference between sorbetto and "water ice" is not so subtle, both taste/texture-wise and sociology-wise.
    Wawda/wooder is is rough, grainy "peasant"-food, sorbetto is "refined" in taste and sociology. Not to misunderstand, but to me water ice is road food, sorbetto yuppie food and I love 'em both.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1