Ways to cook the bird

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 09:28:18 (permalink)
I planned on leving the bird in the smoker for six hours. It took nine and the bird was great. Tender, juicky and despite what I have been told, the spices in the water added definate flavor. I oiled the bird down before I put it in and added a lot of spices to it also.

I also enjoyed my cauliflower that I substituted for mashed potatoes. I steamed them for a while and put them in the food processor with a stick of sweet and slightly salted butter, added salt and pepper. Was not as good as real mashed potatoes (what is?) but they were good enough.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 10:20:11 (permalink)
Here is a good way to put all that leftover turkey to use:

http://fruitedplain.netfirms.com/brown.htm

I plan to run out and get some cheese and try this tonight!
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 11:56:33 (permalink)
Here are my mom's two leftover-turkey recipes:

Everything Turkey Casserole

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed sweet potatoes
Cranberry Relish
Gravy

There are no measurements in this recipe. It's a matter of layering the ingredients in a casserole, using either the stuffing or sweet potatoes as the base. Then pile on the other leftovers, topping it all with gravy and baking at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

Turkey Cashew Casserole

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 tablespoons butter
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 cup light cream
1/3 cup turkey broth
2 cups cooked turkey, diced
1/4 pound salted cashews
1 large can Chinese noodles (those little crunchy ones)

Saute onion and celery in butter. Mix with other ingredients, reserving half the noodles, and pour into large buttered casserole. Top with remaining noodles and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or untl bubbly and brown. Serves 4-6.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 16:45:57 (permalink)
Sundance, I'll try your "mashed califlower" recipe. I'll admit, I'm skeptical of the taste, but the "glycemic index" would allow that for low-carb diets. I'll also experiment with adding other low GI veggies, and if I find something that really tastes good, I'll report back.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7012
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 17:31:12 (permalink)
Bushie, try purple-top turnips, mashed, they're delicious. I used to serve a mound of 'em with my lamb dishes, nobody could figure out what they were! But ate them and seemed to go away with happy tummies!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/29 01:23:34 (permalink)
Um, clothier, would you put me back in good graces if I said that mashed turnips also compliment duck very well? Along with a nice little serving of haricots verts and some glazed carrots? Huh? Mitterand was an easy target, my paying customers were much more......what's the word we like here......SNARKY. I could NEVER get away with serving leftovers to youze guys!!!!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/29 04:45:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Um, clothier, would you put me back in good graces if I said that mashed turnips also compliment duck very well? Along with a nice little serving of haricots verts and some glazed carrots? Huh? Mitterand was an easy target, my paying customers were much more......what's the word we like here......SNARKY. I could NEVER get away with serving leftovers to youze guys!!!!

Leftovers can be a beautiful thing. you serve it, we'll eat it and be grateful.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/29 19:37:16 (permalink)
quote:

Bushie, try purple-top turnips, mashed, they're delicious. I used to serve a mound of 'em with my lamb dishes, nobody could figure out what they were! But ate them and seemed to go away with happy tummies!

Thanks, for the advice, lleechef! It's funny, when I was writing my post to Sundancer, the first veggie I thought was "turnips".

I love raw turnips, but I don't think I've ever eaten them cooked. I'll try it!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/30 01:00:00 (permalink)
Bushie, cook them (quartered is best) until they're JUST done (like your beans!). Turnips tend to act like sponges the minute they're done.......full of water. Drain them into a collander. I personally happen to like lumps in my food......smashed potatoes as opposed to mashed and pureed. Get out the good 'ol tater masher and beat those turnips up with some salt, pepper, butter and heavy cream. With duck, I think it's one of the best side dishes.
You could also use the "turnips" that the Irish in South Boston cook with boiled dinner, that I think the rest of the civilized world call rutabaga. Very delicious and tasty in it's own right. I've never tried to mash it but I happen to find it the most tasty veg in the damned boiled dinner!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/30 06:27:30 (permalink)
For some reason, I have never been a fan of turnips. Dad use to raise them in his garden and I could tolerate them raw with some salt, but when they were cooked, they had a slightly sweet taste that I could not adjust too.

The cauliflower I cooked for TG dinner was OK and a great substitute for potatoes. I even put giblet gravy over them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/30 10:40:36 (permalink)
Turnips; The Brits call them swedes. Just thought I would throw that in.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/30 16:18:31 (permalink)
The ducks and goose was by all acounts outatanding. I cant coment as I hate my own cooking, The great thing about Smoking what is a very fat laden bird, Is after 6 to 8 hours in a hot water smoker , With often peirceings to allow the fat to run out , The birds had very little grease left,
The flesh was moist and fragrent , With a red hue from the pecan wood smoke,
I fed about 10 , There were no leftovers.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/30 17:50:11 (permalink)
quote:

Bushie, cook them (quartered is best) until they're JUST done (like your beans!). Turnips tend to act like sponges the minute they're done.......full of water. Drain them into a collander. I personally happen to like lumps in my food......smashed potatoes as opposed to mashed and pureed. Get out the good 'ol tater masher and beat those turnips up with some salt, pepper, butter and heavy cream. With duck, I think it's one of the best side dishes.
You could also use the "turnips" that the Irish in South Boston cook with boiled dinner, that I think the rest of the civilized world call rutabaga. Very delicious and tasty in it's own right. I've never tried to mash it but I happen to find it the most tasty veg in the damned boiled dinner!

Will do. Thanks.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/12/01 13:48:08 (permalink)
Madeturkey pot pies for the family Saturday night---------they went really fast! Added just a pinch of mace to the sauce and everyone loved it.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/12/01 15:18:24 (permalink)
Was trying to decide on which thread to post this article, Unusual Ingredients was about chili, although these are some pretty strange concoctions. Since it was in our lively and very entertaining Thanksgiving newspaper I thought you all would like to see how other folks cook the turkey, along with some other yummy things. Actually where it states that they use whipped Crisco for the Eskimo icecream most natives use whipped seal oil . Read on....
http://www.adn.com/front/story/4448454p-4434571c.html
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/12/01 15:40:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

whipped seal oil. Enough said.

The fish pie sounded good, though.

I also liked that the career opportunites were posted right there on the page. I didn't see anything for a haberdasher, though.

If you are proficient at softening seal skins with your teeth and sewing them by hand while covered in a Hefty trash bag (because the skins reek to high heaven and they protect their clothes this way) well, you might have a new career! Or if you know how to weave and sew Qiviut (the fur from the belly of a musk ox) you could have something there!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1