Ways to cook the bird

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
2003/11/25 16:45:35 (permalink)

Ways to cook the bird

Around the Sundancer's house, the family likes the turkey roasted with no stuffing. The Sundancer likes to smoke the bird. The daughter and son in law likes it fried and my mom who lives next door just likes the drum stick.

If I did all that, we would have left over turkey until sometime mid 2004.

What I probably am going to do is roast a medium bird, smoke a small bird and forget the rest.

I wish there was a commercial firm that would fry the bird since I have heard many say that it is wonderful.

A roasted bird seems to dry out very shortly while a smoked bird stays moist. I have heard that the fried bird stays moist also.

Has anyone ever tried doing them on the charcoal grill with BBQ sauce?

Family wants to do dinner around noon due to the grandchildrens naps.
I sorta was hoping to do dinner later as it is fun to imbibe before. Oh well, gotta be good for the sake of the family. I guess I will start the electric smoker around 6:00AM and put a 10lb bird on. I think I will get a small turkey for this instead of a chicken.

What do you think my wife would say if she saw me drinking a white wine at 6:00AM while starting the smoking bird

Regardless
Happy Thanksgiving to all you roadfooders

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

45 Replies Related Threads

dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 16:58:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Around the Sundancer's house, the family likes the turkey roasted with no stuffing. The Sundancer likes to smoke the bird. The daughter and son in law likes it fried and my mom who lives next door just likes the drum stick.

If I did all that, we would have left over turkey until sometime mid 2004.

What I probably am going to do is roast a medium bird, smoke a small bird and forget the rest.

I wish there was a commercial firm that would fry the bird since I have heard many say that it is wonderful.

A roasted bird seems to dry out very shortly while a smoked bird stays moist. I have heard that the fried bird stays moist also.

Has anyone ever tried doing them on the charcoal grill with BBQ sauce?

Family wants to do dinner around noon due to the grandchildrens naps.
    I sorta was hoping to do dinner later as it is fun to imbibe before. Oh well, gotta be good for the sake of the family. I guess I will start the electric smoker around 6:00AM and put a 10lb bird on. I think I will get a small turkey for this instead of a chicken.

What do you think my wife would say if she saw me drinking a white wine at 6:00AM while starting the smoking bird

Regardless
    Happy Thanksgiving to all you roadfooders

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

She'd say...OH, I thought a red would be better with smoked turkey!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:00:25 (permalink)
    Sundancer - my dad always does just a breast of turkey on the grill and it is always fabulous. He puts a rub on it and grills it over a low heat, basting with a sauce towards the end. It is what I always ask for when it is my turn to pick the menu for my birthday!

It makes the meat tender with that dark, crunchy, saucy outside.

As for imbibing? Like the song says - It's five o'clock somewhere!

My boss usually has two glasses of white wine when we go to lunch everday at 11:30. We do have a lot of fun at work!
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:00:35 (permalink)
    Sundancer, I personally see nothing wrong with a nice bloody mary or perhaps a screwdriver while setting up your smoker in the early AM. In fact, I think it would be a very nice way to start the holiday festivities.

But I don't know if I could drink chardonnay that early...

dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:03:05 (permalink)
    Turkey or no...all these suggestions are making me thirsty...off to have a nice glass of.....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:04:39 (permalink)
    LoneStar and Cindyloo:

Cindy, you got a point there and a bloody mary at 6:00AM is probably the best. I think I will make them the night before with habernero sauce, pickled okra, celery salt and some fresh celery.

Great suggestion Lonestar on the breast on the charcoal grill with lotsa BBQ sauce.

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:05:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cindyloo

Sundancer, I personally see nothing wrong with a nice bloody mary or perhaps a screwdriver while setting up your smoker in the early AM. In fact, I think it would be a very nice way to start the holiday festivities.

But I don't know if I could drink chardonnay that early...

I think that any special day should start off with a huge glass of champagne!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 17:58:07 (permalink)
    BEER makes a great breakfast drink. burp
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/25 19:33:00 (permalink)
    I am going to put all sorts of things in the water when I smoke my bird. I have been told that it does not make a big difference when you add spices to the water when you do the smoking thing, but I will add oranges, limes, orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, onions, peppers and soulf food spices.

I will let this mixture go over my bird while it is in the electric smoker.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 00:34:37 (permalink)
    We use a Nesco roaster for our turkey. It stays unbelieveably moist and frees up the oven for everything else, including the pork roast that my Mom has decided that we need to make this year. (We won't, however, need the oven for desserts. We spent today making cookies, cupcakes, cheesecake, lemon bars and fudge cake. Tomorrow will probably be pumpkin and pecan pie. We'll probably have to lock everything up or no one will ever get around to eating turkey!) " />
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 00:44:02 (permalink)
    I just tried the brined turkey recipe from Alton Brown (FoodTV). Used a fresh bird (not frozen), with no Butterball injections. It came out great -- moist and great flavor.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 09:00:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

I just tried the brined turkey recipe from Alton Brown (FoodTV). Used a fresh bird (not frozen), with no Butterball injections. It came out great -- moist and great flavor.

Thanks for the report. I was intending to try Alton's method (watched the show a few days ago), but I've decided to deep-fry instead. Glad to hear it was good; I'll definitely give it a try in the future.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 09:18:41 (permalink)
    This is a real amateur question but what is brining a turkey and what does it do. How do you do it?

I am going to roast a turkey and smoke a turkey tomorrrow.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 09:25:48 (permalink)
    Basically you just soak the bird in this brine mixture for 8 to 12 hours prior to cooking ! The brine mixture is salt water and can have some other ingrediants added for extra flavor !

I saw a TV show the other day and they talked about brining a turkey. The host stated that the brining process actually allowed the water to pass in and out of the bird taking the salt with it therefore causing the flavoring to be internal. It is also supposed to make the bird much more juicier !! The host of the show also added orange juice to the brine mixture for added flavor !
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 09:28:15 (permalink)
    What is the ratio of salt to water and how much OJ used?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    b-n-kchefservice
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 10:29:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

What is the ratio of salt to water and how much OJ used?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I generally go with 1/2 cup suger and 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water. then I throw in several pepper corns and garlic powder, onion powder to taste, usually about 3tbs of each give or take. I hope this helps. I use this same brine when I smoke almost everything from aligator jerky to zebra roast, j/k but I use it on a lot of things.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1099
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 10:30:15 (permalink)
    Here is a link to Alton Brown's recipe from foodtv. I have not tried it but those that have say it does wonders for the flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 10:34:57 (permalink)

I found this on cbs.com. I'm personally trying a honey brine recipe that I found on epicurious.com. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Recipe for Brined Holiday *Whole Turkey

• One 12-pound whole turkey
    • 1 cup lemon juice
    • 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
    • 1 gallon of water
    • 1 cup kosher salt
    • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
    • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
    • 2 oranges, cut in half
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 2 tablespoons whole cloves
    • 2 tablespoons whole allspice berries
    • 1 cup brandy
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence, which is simply a combination of 5 tablespoons sweet paprika, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons onion powder, 2 tablespoons cayenne, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 2 tablespoons dried thyme. Mix together and use 1 tablespoon of the mixture for this recipe. Store leftovers in a plastic container.

Directions

1. To make the brining liquid, combine the ingredients listed above, except for the vegetable oil and the Emeril's Essence, in a large nonreactive container and stir.

2. Put the turkey in a large colander and rinse under cold running water. Put the turkey in the brine, cover, and refrigerate, turning the turkey at least four times. Soak for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. (If you do not have a large non-reactive container, put the turkey in a large, heavy-duty plastic garbage bag. Make the marinade in a large bowl and pour the marinade into the bag. Put the bag inside a large container or roasting pan in case it should leak or drip.) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

3. Remove the turkey from the brine (discard the brine) and put it breast side up in a large heavy roasting pan. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels. Rub the turkey with the vegetable oil, and sprinkle on both sides with the tablespoon of Emeril's Essence.

4. Roast until deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh joint reads 170 degrees F. Allow about 15 minutes per pound — approximately 3 hours. Transfer to a platter and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Then carve the turkey and serve with the fresh cranberry compote (recipe below).

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 10:36:03 (permalink)
    Thank you Hatteras for the link !!

Sundancer that was the TV show I was watching !! Sorry that I was not more specific !!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 18:05:31 (permalink)
    I got the electric smoker ready to go. I got it set up for the bird tomorrow morning early.

I will be putting the bird on at 6:00AM for a noon lunch. I just put my water together with onion, sweet pepper, kayo syrup, Bushie's BBQ sauce and some other goodies.

I will coat the bird at 6:00AM for lunch at noon.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 18:38:32 (permalink)
    Paul, I'm interested in hearing how your bird turns out. I've been thinking about an electric smoker. The idea of smoking a turkey yourself sounds very foreign to any Philadelphian I talk about it with. They (and we) are used to ordering smoked turkey at the deli counter.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 18:46:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

BEER makes a great breakfast drink. burp

Breakfast of Maniacs . . .

Mr. Jennie suggests cranberry Schnapps, orange juice, and either Sprite or champagne.

I thought a nice spiked hot chocolate would go down well.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 18:47:15 (permalink)
    CheeseWit: I will let you know. I got it ready to go and in the morning at 5:00AM I will fire it off. Six hours on the smoker will tell the truth.

I will coat the bird with oil and hopefully it will be brown and crispy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 19:48:04 (permalink)
    Just a thought for next year, (cajun microwave)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4090
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 20:05:54 (permalink)
    Paul,
    This is the second year that I'm brining my turkey. Everyone last year said it was the best, juiciest turkey thaey had ever had. Impressive, considering I started with a "giveaway" frozen bird from the supermarket. The only differences I haven't heard mentioned here are using apple juice/cider for the liquid and to take the turkey out of the brine and dry it off several hours before roasting. That makes for more evenly distributed flavor and juiciness as well as for a crisper skin.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ed
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/26 20:09:18 (permalink)
    I brine all the time and have found it really good for any meat that gets tough. I do it for beef roasts as well as turkeys. My turkey is in the fridge in a mix of Vietnamese fish sauce, sugar, chile, and garlic. Did this last year and was the best ever after dried and rubbed with oil.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/27 05:17:51 (permalink)
    Well, I brined the bird and it is 5:00AM and I just stuck the bird in the smoker. I have been told that it does no good to put stuff in the water, but I did anyway. I put apples, onions, peppers and some of Bushies famous BBQ sauce in the water.

After pulling the bird from the brine, I coated it with Olive oil, seasoned salt, pepper, paprika and some more of Bushies BBQ sauce he brought me from Austin.

I am going next door to Mom's where she has some Mello Joy dark roast coffee on and have a few cups and read the paper which will be stuffed with sale ads for tomorrow.

Incidentally, I am still doing the Adkins thing. so I bought some cauliflower and I am going to steam it, add some butter, salt and pepper and call it mash potatoes.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7051
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 02:50:54 (permalink)
    Sounds yummy, Sundancer. I cooked one of the ring-necked pheasants that I shot in Iowa, with morel mushroom sauce, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts with onion and bacon. I'm known far and wide as the PIE WENCH WITH THE CARDBOARD CRUST FROM HELL. Even explicit instructions from my sainted mother who is the pie QUEEN of the planet do not seem to help. Well....I made a mincemeat pie that my beloved SO requested. It came out of the oven smelling like heaven, I was thinking maybe we won't need the chain saw to cut it this year. Hmmmmmm. Time for dessert, I cut into the pie, gave it the traditional splash of Bourbon like Grandma Zemanek did and it was like puff pastry. SO ate three pieces and said it was the best pie he'd had in 20 years since his French Grandmother passed away. Whew. I passed the test. FINALLY!
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 07:36:26 (permalink)
    I use a beer , apple cider/juice in my gas water smoker, You can taste all the differnt elements in the bird, I also use Pecan wood chips, Gives a nutty subtle flavor,
    This year I did ducks and a goose using a very simlar tech.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Ways to cook the bird 2003/11/28 09:00:39 (permalink)
    Sundancer: How did it go? How was your dinner??
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1