We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/03/02 16:20:30 (permalink)
Still trying to figure out when I can make it over there..
Looking like April now.
I cant wait to try Mamasboy!
I will work hard on setting a date---I will email you to finalize it and then get it posted if any others are or will be in the area to join us.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/03/04 22:44:40 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
If I wanted to, I could list off a dozen things I've had at Mama's Boy in the last week or so and enjoyed. The daily soups are always at least good and often excellent (even if unpredictably eclectic in style), and while I may have just about run the gamut of the kitchen's usual offerings, there is always something concoctable that I enjoy (if they aren't too busy to create it).
The utter highlight, though, of my last two weeks' meals there was Alicia's Mediterranean Vegetable Soup a couple of days ago. I initially sampled it cold (on purpose): it somehow reminded me of a surreal vichysoisse (sp.?). "This is interesting," I muttered.
Then I tried it heated: it almost brought me to my Athens-famed Ort.gasm. It was redolent of green olives and artichokes and capers and a dozen other things; little hot pepper pieces were wandering around like a litter of puppies barking at tumbleweeds, an onion swam by doing the backstroke, and a gazillion other flavors intersected in a gordian knot of a junction that actually somehow worked!
Here is what I wrote in my journal: "I take a taste; I close my eyes: I am in Trieste. This is the soup equivalent of [Jacques] Ibert's "Escales": if she ever betters THIS, she deserves a crown.
"Alicia, let's eat." [Calvin Trillin, please forgive me.]
(For the record, "Escales" is also known as "Ports Of Call," a classical piece composed in 1922, and one of my favorites.)
Roossy/Tara dear, when you know when you're coming, I'm going to have her recreate that soup for you. For all I know, you might not like it... it got mixed reviews, even from regulars. But I LOVED it. Who knows... maybe it'll move someone else to think of Trieste, too. If that isn't a port of call, nothing is. Gracious.
Souperb-And-Cerely, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/03/13 17:15:55 (permalink)
Ort.. and others....
April 21st....
Saturday, I will be in Lawrenceville, and hopefully we and others can dine at Mamasboy...
I will make a new thread.....
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1