We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2006/12/03 23:57:28 (permalink)

We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One!

Dearfolk,
As of this past Monday at 3:00 P. M., The Royal Cafe on Tallassee Road in Athens is history.
I was looking through records in my second-favorite vinyl store (which is in Clarkston, Georgia) when the final plate of food was served up unbeknownst to me. Their mumbling waiter Carl probably set it down and said "Thatdoesit." And to think that it was probably meatloaf... and I missed it. Dadgone it. Kelly says she's going to work at the downtown Taco Stand, so I'll go by and hug her from time to time and keep up with her, her husband, and their baby.
Ah, but there is good news. I've found a worthy replacement. Mama's Boy at 197 Oak Street, a ways from my house but an easy drive through back streets, has proven dependable. They even serve breakfast items all day (if they're not too busy to do so).
Thusfar, I've enjoyed their Southern Wedding Soup, Warm Weather Chili, a variety of omelettes, delightful cheese grits, wonderful vegetables (including spicy stewed cabbage today and green bean casserole last week), exquisite coffee (I brought in my "Leftist Gorilla" mug from The Royal and they even put it in a special place for me!), and more other plusses than I can list on a moment's notice. The people who run the place are decent, too -- and they are especially keen on catering to people with special dietary needs and/or restrictions: a friend of mine who has a gluten allergy can easily choose from a number of items, as can I (I'm hypoglycaemic).
Sometime soon I'll try their Country Captain Chicken, a Columbus, Georgia specialty transported to Athens, and report back to you on what it is. I'll get in behind Marshall, one of the owners, to see if he can create a version of the Scrambled Dog, a famous Columbus ubiquity. (I'll suggest he use good Kosher weiners, too.)
So even though my favorite first-meal-of-the-day place is history, I've found another that is a little more gourmet-style, maybe, but just as dependable... plus it's not far from parking for this library. It looks as if I'm developing arthritis in my foot (it kicks in from time to time in either knee as well), so this is a blessing.
Now let me surf around a bit and see if anything else merits an interjection or three. It's good to have the time to be back, if only for a few minutes.
Slightly Hurriedly, Ort. Carlton in Winterizing Athens, Georgia.

32 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/04 00:03:45 (permalink)
    Welcome back Ort! Been awhile. Nice report there..
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/04 00:45:35 (permalink)
    Godd to hear from you again, Mr. Ort.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/04 08:12:15 (permalink)
    ORT,
    Many members have asked about you. We hope your library hours will increase to allow your friends to follow your many adventures!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/04 09:09:17 (permalink)
    Where have you been Ort?

Certainly missed your entertaing post.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/05 17:14:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7
    Where have you been Ort?
    Certainly missed your entertaing post.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
    I've been TOO busy with other things. Now my attitude is simple: after returning last night and laughing my socks half off, I need to stop by here more often. You haven't seen anywhere near the last of me yet, even for the time being!
    More gnus when it's new.
    Moderately Hastily, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/05 22:26:10 (permalink)
    Have you had any good livermush recently, Ort? I've been sitting out the last 3 months in the North Carolina mountains and drop by "Glenn's" in Wilkesboro for a livemush sandwich (grilled crisp, with mustard, onions and coleslaw on a burger bun) at least 3 times every week. I sure have missed my livermush, cheerwine, Lexington # 1 BBQ and country ham during the 10 years I was away from the Tarheel state.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/05 23:00:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly
    Have you had any good livermush recently, Ort? I've been sitting out the last 3 months in the North Carolina mountains and drop by "Glenn's" in Wilkesboro for a livemush sandwich (grilled crisp, with mustard, onions and coleslaw on a burger bun) at least 3 times every week. I sure have missed my livermush, cheerwine, Lexington # 1 BBQ and country ham during the 10 years I was away from the Tarheel state.

Hillbilly,
    No, I haven't had any livermush in quite awhile. Think I'll buy some and high-tail it to my new fave eatery (mentioned above) and let them see what they can do with it.
    Hmmm, I might even do that tomorrow, come to think of it. This oughta be interesting. I'll let you know what comes of it, and thanks for the incubation.
    Ever-Mushingly, Ort. Carlton in Red-And-Black-Clad Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Glenn's in Wilkesboro sounds like a pilgrimage. By the way, I hear you can get livermush pizza -- regular or hot -- at a place in Boiling Springs, N. C.
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/08 23:59:31 (permalink)
    Hey, Ort - nice seeing you. I went by the Royal Cafe this past Monday, and was shocked and dismayed to see it closed. But, I will try the other place you mention.
    My daughter goes to UGA and she invited me to lunch with her recently (me paying, of course) at the Five Star Day, downtown. Very good, but pricy.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/09 18:09:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SteveB9
    Hey, Ort - nice seeing you. I went by the Royal Cafe this past Monday, and was shocked and dismayed to see it closed. But, I will try the other place you mention.
    My daughter goes to UGA and she invited me to lunch with her recently (me paying, of course) at the Five Star Day, downtown. Very good, but pricy.

Steve,
    You won't go wrong at Mama's Boy. I've been trying everything on the menu one item at a time, and have yet to be disappointed.
    Let me know when you're coming and I'll try to meet you there. I promise not to stick you with the bill, either.
    Overjoyedly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/09 18:18:08 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Speaking of livermush and of Mama's Boy, I went out to Ingle's and bought a couple of blocks and took it down there. One of the partners likes it, one is ambivalent, and the third wrinkled up her nose like an accordion.
    Today I had a livermush omelette with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, onions, and a side of potato hash. Excellent! The only thing missing was garlic, and since there's half a block of livermush left, I can try that option another time.
    A couple of days ago, they had vegetable lasagna, to which they added some hamburger for non-vegetarian me. It was excellent, but what really impressed me was the homemade green peppercorn ranch dressing on the salad and the creamed collards on the side.
    Since today they tossed out the remainder of the curried rice and chicken soup, they'll have a new soup tomorrow. What'll it be? Only they know, and they aren't telling.
    I love these little adventures, folks.
    Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/10 21:47:28 (permalink)
    Ort;
    I may get a chance to try Mama's Boy tomorrow. I have to make a call on the newspaper, to measure up the belts on a new machine. From my map, Oak Street doesn't look far from their place. If my timing works, I'll hit it for lunch.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/14 02:02:11 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Mama's Boy just keeps getting better and better. Today I had a bowl of yesterday's beef-and-macaroni stew (it was lightyears better today than it had been yesterday, and it was mighty tasty then). Today's special (I ate the last one, I think they told me) was a Shrimp Sandwich -- a shrimp patty on bread, with secret sauce, lettuce, tomato, and side salad with homemade balsamic vinegarette dressing. To tell you it was tasty is to use words cheaply.
    Yesterday the special was a Cuban sandwich. Now while those at The Silver Ring in Ybor City in Tampa will beat the one I had, it WAS original and ate right where I held it, to use the late "Sauce" Pulley's favorite expression.
    Day before, I had the last order of tilapia tacos with guacamole. Gracious sakes.
    I even dreamed about the place last night. In my dream, I told the owners that I had concluded that theirs was "The Brown-Eyed Handsome Man of Athens restaurants" -- whatever that might mean. Since there is some degree of mystique to that hombre in Chuck Berry's song (not to mention a bit of Superman thrown in), that might just be apropos. So I told them today,and were they floored!
    I'm eatin' good, folks.
    More news when I find it. The library's closing.
    Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Tasty Athens, Georgia.
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/16 16:12:26 (permalink)
    Hey, Ort
    I went by there Monday. I had the pimento hamburger. They had some good looking lunch specials, but all looked to be a little more than I was hungry for, since it hadn't been too long since I had by two sausage biscuits for breakfast.
    The fries were interesting, with all kinds of herbs!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2006/12/21 17:49:36 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    When I manage to make it back to y'all, I'll have to relate what has come out of that kitchen in the last few days. Suffice to say that I have found a real winner, and I think Steve B will agree -- especially when he makes a return trip or two to worm his way farther into their capable menu.
    The Cream Of Chicken Soup With Tarragon was (**AAAAAH**) unwriteably good....
    Absolutely Unhungrily, Ort. in 30601-land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/07 17:13:25 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Just because I've been absent doesn't mean that I've quit eating. What Mama's Boy served me today was fit for royalty: curried chicken salad, salmon on grit cakes with homemade Hollandaise, and copper pennies (carrots with a spiced/sourish tomato glaze).
    When U. Ga. reopens next week, I'll report back on more wonders from their cubbyhole kitchen.
    Alas, I've not been able to range out and try new places. For three days I went by trying to catch restaurants open that I had not tried; all of them were closed. This is still too small a town to support most essentially-student-oriented businesses staying open when school is out of session. C'est la guerre.
    Incompletely, Ort. Carlton in Soggy Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/11 01:10:51 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Today's offerings were Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, a Fried Green Tomato Sandwich with Blue Cheese Dressing, and Fried Jalapeno Grit Cakes with Marinara Sauce. Mercy.
    I've now sampled the Country Captain. When I manage to consume a full portion, I will report back here. My comment on the taste was: "There's a whole arboretum of flavors in there!"
    These people at Mama's Boy are all near-geniuses. I'm flat floored.
    Quasi-Hungrily Only Because It's 1:10 A. M. And I Ate Seven Hours Ago, Ort. Carlton in The Usual Seat At The U. Ga. Library in 30601-land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/15 02:00:03 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Saturday, Mitchell, one of the three partners of Mama's Boy, fixed me a beef stir-fry that was so wonderful I had to write in and share it with y'all. "Why don't you put this on the menu?" I entreated. "Then it wouldn't be special," he replied. "Actually, it's just something I came up with for the folks in the kitchen to eat... I added a bit here and took out a bit there in the version I served you. We just happened to have all the ingredients I wanted."
    Thursday it was chicken tacos, concocted out of what Mitchell referred to as his boredom. "There's some sort of a sweet taste in there, like a bird calling way off in the distance, all but out of earshot," I wrote. -- Turned out it was sweet onions.
    They're turning the lights out on me. Guidnat.
    Hastily Submitted, Ort. Carlton in 30601.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/15 04:06:30 (permalink)
    Good night/morning Ort, thanks for filling us in.

MikeS.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7290
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/15 11:24:52 (permalink)
    Sounds like Ort. found a winner!!
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/17 11:14:09 (permalink)
    Ort's been holding out. They have a webpage:

www.eatatmamasboy.com/

May have to travel to GA just to try this. Hmmmm...

Cathy
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/22 22:33:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Williamsburger
    Ort's been holding out. They have a webpage:
    www.eatatmamasboy.com/
    May have to travel to GA just to try this. Hmmmm...
    Cathy

Cathy,
    Yes, I did hold out, and I forgot to return and let everyone know.
    It's not the menu items that are the most amazing, it's the stuff they turn out for daily specials.
    One visit won't begin to be enough; there are too many amazing things to try, like creamed collards and whatever amazing soup of the day they have and I could well go on and on... in fact, I have.
    No, they haven't put me to work. But they did need a dishwasher the other day, and I nearly pitched in....
    Happily And Well Fedly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/22 22:36:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef
    Sounds like Ort. found a winner!!

Lee, Oh, Lee,
    You'd plumb have a conniption fit. These folks are kindred spirits.
    But it isn't really Roadfood, y'understand... not quite. Just almost. It IS worth a visit if you're nearby.
    Don't freeze up there. There are enough friezes in Italy.
    Dining Al Fresco (Right Up Against The Ceiling!), Ort. Carlton, In The Highest Balconies Of Athens, Georgia.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/24 18:49:51 (permalink)
    Ort.
    I do think this is the spot.
    Lets do a mini-meet there. How large is Mamasboy?.. I know they would love to have a group of us!
    I emailed you about the particulars.. so check your spam box!
    Tara
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/25 01:45:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90
    How large is Mamasboy?.. I know they would love to have a group of us!

Tararoossy,
    The place will seat about 40 or so people, maybe 50, as a guess. There are two large booths that can accommodate six or so, or we can pull tables together.
    The people who run the place and who work there are really looking forward to this as much as I am! They might concoct something special for the group (as well as to serve to everyone else that day), but that might be unnecessary.
    I'll check my e-mail in a moment to see what you sent me.
    Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/01/25 01:49:16 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Today I managed to eat a full order of Country Captain, the Mama's Boy dinner special that comes from Columbus, Georgia (or so Mitchell says). It was wonderfantabulous!
    What it is is chicken served over a bed of rice with coconut milk, shredded coconut, tomatoes, and five or six other things. There's a bunch of tastes going on in there at once. Highly recommended.
    The addition of Thousand Faces Coffee (they only have it occasionally) made the experience even nicer.
    Okay, I promised to report it to you, and I did. It's too fattening, but it's the stuff of which sweet dreams are made.
    Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    P. S. And it isn't sweet!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/02/12 01:43:37 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Mama's Boy is growing on me more every day. Their soups are SOUPERB! The owners' originality never seems to run low. Their enthusiasm is utterly catching.
    Mitchell made a Spicy Southwestern Chicken Soup Saturday that had a slight "burnt" smell and undertaste to it. Danged if it didn't ADD to the overall effect of it!
    This place is wonderful. I'm looking forward to whatever rendezvous we'uns can conjure up to gather there around the second weekend of March. Then we adjourn to Copper Creek Brewing afterward for a pint or several....
    Spoiled Way The Heck Rottener Than I Need To Be, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/02/12 19:59:47 (permalink)
    Excellent to see you on the boards,Ort. I want to tell you of this crazy,old-timey remedy for your arthritis. Try it.......

Place one bar of any kind of soap--I use Ivory myself--under the bottom sheet near the end of the bed.

The old ways are the best ways
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/02/13 12:58:21 (permalink)
    Ort,
    Check your email..
    Tara
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: We Lost A Good One This Week. And Found A New One! 2007/02/15 20:50:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90
    Ort,
    Check your email...Tara

Roossy,
    I will... in a minute. I've got something nice to report first.
    Yesterday Mama's Boy went all-out to put on a singles' Valentine's Brunch. It apparently went really well (I was asleep). Their decor was as ingenious as would be expected out of a place run by such a triumvirate of near-Mensans.
    Today's soup was Stewed Tomato with Black-Eyed Peas & Corn. It ended up being closer to a meatless Brunswick stew than I've ever had before. The spoon almost stood up in it.
    The Valentine's Day soup sold out early on. It must have been spectacular. Gee, it's a shame I missed it.
    Tuesday's soup was Chive & Roasted Potato Cream. It was like something you'd feed to Cossacks out riding on the steppes of Russia. Oh, Borodin... where are you now that we need a composition?
    Monday's was Spinach/Mushroom/Bacon Cream.
    I'm a happy camper.
    Souperbly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    P. S. I'll have a new BBQ place or two to report on soon.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1