We are back from Florida

Author
pappy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
2005/06/09 23:09:45 (permalink)

We are back from Florida

and you all may not believe this... but we went to a RED LOBSTER while there, and it was amazingly delicious... I had the shrimp trio, and it was perfect... I have no complaints.. and the portions were excellent... and the service was really good..
We had vowed never to darken the door of another RL, but old friends picked us up and took us out to eat, and they knew we love seafood.. well they picked RL.. so what could we say... It was located in Largo at the Largo Mall.

I know the one in Jackson TN. will never see us again.. bad service, bad portions, bad food...

We ate at a few other places.. good but nothing to write home about..

Pappy

14 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 09:40:08 (permalink)
    I'm pleased for Pappy that he enjoyed his shrimp at RL. I wonder if it's possible that in a place like Largo they are actually allowed to use fresh unfrozen shrimp?

Anent some other threads and some private chatter: I know there are those among us who belittle and ridicule any post that finds favor with a visit to a national chain restaurant. To my way of thinking, those chains are by definition "roadfood" - they are located along the routes we travel and they serve food, usually pretty quickly, to anyone who asks.

But, these forums are supposed to be about "Roadfood", the Mom and Pop places, the lonely entrepeneur, the traditional diner, the place that makes the very best of its kind, etc. And that's what most of us usually want to hear about. Case in point: I'd rather have heard an unfavorable critique of a Largo Mom and Pop than a favorable mention of RL. I already know to avoid RL, but I might benefit from being warned away from "Mom's Diner".

As one might suspect I'm of two minds on the subject of big chain food. I've recently commented favorably on a breakfast at Bob Evans ( a place abhored by many of our roadfood friends who I hold in great respect.) and I recently reported on a pretty good sandwich and soup at Panera. At the same time I find both places to be dull and uninteresting: you know what to expect when you enter and you'll be very unlikely to get any new and pleasant surprises such as you might find at the newly discovered local Mom and Pop.

If some of us dont want to read about chains we dont have to open those messages and if some of us want to talk about our chain experiences and someone else wants to read and comment on those posts- well, that's fine too.

What we should not lose sight of is our obligation to report and comment on the real Roadfood places we are lucky enough to patronize either because of a serendipitous visit or what we learned from our friends on roadfood.

Cheers, John
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 10:18:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I'm pleased for Pappy that he enjoyed his shrimp at RL. I wonder if it's possible that in a place like Largo they are actually allowed to use fresh unfrozen shrimp?

Anent some other threads and some private chatter: I know there are those among us who belittle and ridicule any post that finds favor with a visit to a national chain restaurant. To my way of thinking, those chains are by definition "roadfood" - they are located along the routes we travel and they serve food, usually pretty quickly, to anyone who asks.

But, these forums are supposed to be about "Roadfood", the Mom and Pop places, the lonely entrepeneur, the traditional diner, the place that makes the very best of its kind, etc. And that's what most of us usually want to hear about. Case in point: I'd rather have heard an unfavorable critique of a Largo Mom and Pop than a favorable mention of RL. I already know to avoid RL, but I might benefit from being warned away from "Mom's Diner".

As one might suspect I'm of two minds on the subject of big chain food. I've recently commented favorably on a breakfast at Bob Evans ( a place abhored by many of our roadfood friends who I hold in great respect.) and I recently reported on a pretty good sandwich and soup at Panera. At the same time I find both places to be dull and uninteresting: you know what to expect when you enter and you'll be very unlikely to get any new and pleasant surprises such as you might find at the newly discovered local Mom and Pop.

If some of us dont want to read about chains we dont have to open those messages and if some of us want to talk about our chain experiences and someone else wants to read and comment on those posts- well, that's fine too.

What we should not lose sight of is our obligation to report and comment on the real Roadfood places we are lucky enough to patronize either because of a serendipitous visit or what we learned from our friends on roadfood.

Cheers, John

Very well said Seafarer! And I might add well writen too
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 10:33:43 (permalink)
    My understanding is that shrimp spoil so quickly, they are generally frozen right on the boat regardless....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13499
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 11:01:16 (permalink)
    Regardless of opinion, I am please to hear that the trip to RL by the poster was enjoyable. I am pleased that he posted his opinion and stated his facts. I have not done RL for several years and if in fact that they are improving their quality, it pleases me.

I am always pleased that some of our group is exploring the old and updating it. I think it would make us all happy if some of the places we visited in times past improved and make us happy again.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 11:18:11 (permalink)
    In general, in my 2 trips to Florida, my wife and I will try chain restaurants that we do not have here in New England.
    This last trip, last month, included Orlando, which many Roadfooders had a hard time offering real "Mom and Pop" style places.
    So we had one meal at a Sonic drive-in, another at a Golden Corral, and that was only because we couldn't find the Steak and Shake we were looking for.
    Perkins is another chain we stopped at when in PA, and had an enjoyable meal, but again, it does not have a presence in New England.
    I have watched Red Lobster close locations here in New England, ones that in my opinion,should never have been opened...because you can't force bad food,bad service and bad seafood on a group of educated consumers who know great seafood already. But that doesn't mean that I don't think RL could be considered good Roadfood in other location, in another state.
    Good management, good service, and good quality determine good Roadfood regardless of the name on the shingle.
    You always have the bad memories etched in your brain forever.
    plantdetective
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 11:26:13 (permalink)
    I agree that the local places are fun and often better, sometimes cheaper. But, as a new visitor to the site, I want to hear about good food. If waffle house can be discussed I don't see why anyone should hesitate to mention a good meal in a specific location regardless of the name over the door.

That being said I have a friend in Corpus Christi that insists that the RL there has great seafood. She is very particular, so I tend to believe her.

Paul
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 14:22:50 (permalink)
    I think what Pappy was getting at was the fact that we had boycotted RL for quite some time, but this lone experience was definetly a good one. No, it is not a Mom and Pop operation, but I too had a good meal there, and yes the shrimp were very juicy and tender and not over cooked. (This to me in itself was amazing for a RL) We did visit PJ's on Indian Rocks Beach, and it was good, the oysters were really good, but the food overall was not to write home about. We will undoubtably go back to PJ's as the price was good for what we got, and it is close by where we stay and I will order oysters.

As far as "Roadfood" is concerned, I think that if someone can point the way to a place with good food, Mom or Pop or Chain, it should be happily shared and that was Pappy's intent. The same goes for an unfavorable report to point folks away from a place. As he stated, (and I concur), we will never darken the door of the RL in Jackson, TN. under any circumstances. EVER !!

Mrs. Pappy
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/10 15:39:46 (permalink)
    I saw the heading "We are back from Florida" listed under seafood. I thought I was going to read about some wonderful rock shrimp, yellow fin tuna, grouper, smoked mullet and other great seafood that one can find in Florida.............what a let-down.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/11 08:55:39 (permalink)
    Rally! You go to Florida and eat at a Red Lobster,I cant speak!
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/11 14:49:05 (permalink)
    Let me just say that never in a million years would we have chosen to go there, but the folks that were taking us out to dinner has already made reservations ahead and so we did not look that gifthorse in the mouth. There are things such as being an appreciative and gracious guest when someone else is treating you to dinner. However, when we were so pleasantly surprised at the unexpected quality of the food and service, well we just figured that it deserved us speaking of it. We never intended to start of food war,nor did we figure we would get so many folks knickers in a twist.

Next time we shall refrain from mentioning that we did get a superb meal there and let anyone here remain uniformed.

We did try to locate some smoked mullet, and sadly were disappointed as 7 places that we tried, (that usually have it) did not have any at all. Seems there is a problem with fishermen using seine nets to harvest them. We attended a "Mullet Festival" in Niceville, FL last October and were disappointed to find that we were totally unable to obtain even the tiniest morsel of Mullet at that festival.

Because we leased a 3 BR home while we were in Florida, we were able to purchase wonderful fresh seafood from Ward's Seafood there in Clearwater, and bring it home to cook ourselves. We had a wonderfully large and lovely piece of Grouper that we grilled. It turned out wonderful. We did the same with some beautiful shrimp also.

And because we lived there for a number of years, many of our old friends insisted on having us over to their homes for dinner, lunch, breakfast, and so we did not eat a great many meals out in local restaurants.

Pappy and I apologize for dashing your expectations.

Blessings,
    Mrs. Pappy

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13499
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/11 16:16:40 (permalink)
    Pappy: From the Sundancer's point of view, I am pleased with your report. If you enjoyed it and reported it, more power to you. I hpe you enjoyed their special biscuits.

Thank you for your very nice report and I only wish I had been there with you and Mrs. Pappy.

I still think about Lexington, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/11 17:03:33 (permalink)
    Hellloooo Sundancer. We would have positively adored having you with us there. In fact I know that we would have enjoyed your company no matter where we were. *smile* Pappy and I both relish the memories of that lovely lunch at Hay's Smokehouse here in Lexington with you and the others here from Roadhouse.com. I hope we all can meet up again like that.

RL special biscuits are still as good as ever. And, I got a secret to tell you. I have figured out how to make them well enough that many folks have told me they thought I got them at RL. haha.

Blessings,
    Mrs. Pappy
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/11 21:48:43 (permalink)
    Mr. and Mrs. Pappy:
    Please don't let a few self-appointed Forum Police discourage you from posting. There are only about a dozen of them out of 26,000 Roadfood.com members and 200+ people were interested enough to read your post without comment.

With that many members, there is something for everyone and forever more, when someone types "Red Lobster" into the Search screen, they will be rewarded with your comments indicating a location that has gone above and beyond the corporate standards.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: We are back from Florida 2005/06/13 08:18:39 (permalink)
    Going to FL and eating at Red Lobster ! But I certainly understand that when others are taking you it is not a time to protest! Glad you had a good meal there and were pleasantly surprised. We usually go to the Long Boat Key area of FL, and enjoy the seafood at Moore's and the seafood and atmosphere at the Anna Maria City Pier. We did go to one chain there called "Shells", and it was quite good --- huge, tender sweet scallops. We stay in a place that has a kitchen, and some of the best meals we have are made from the fresh seafood we purchase at Publix.

Andrea
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1