AnsweredHot!We are live with the new Forum!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/05 11:35:52 (permalink)
Mmm, yummy picture of Steak & Fries. Thanks, Davydd for "testing the waters".
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3539
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/05 12:04:47 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Felix, I think you can just type in the URL directly now:
http://www.roadfood.com/F...m782981-p2.aspx#783200

Davydd
Stephen,

What Felix was trying to explain is you can't do the url= code so that an overly long url address that makes no readable sense such as the example you posted could have a substitute word to click on that does make sense. That ability was present before and is not now. Most message boards support it.

Exactly, Davydd. We could always just type in (or, more likely C&P) a URL. But now we cannot use the standard BB code of having a word or words show rather than the URL. Using Stephen's example, rather than an unwieldy string of URL code, we used to be able to show a clickable word or phrase such as "URL for this thread".

For example, this post I made in the "what are you reading" thread before the change:
felix4067
Books 12-14 of Tim Dorsey's series featuring Serge Storms. I love them more with every one I pick up.

cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/19 13:40:44 (permalink)
Stephen (or anyone else in the know...) -
New forums look pretty ... but I cannot figure out how to change my password. Looked in all the usual places, profile and the settings wheel etc etc.
Help?
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/19 17:47:41 (permalink)
The only thing I'd say is that clicking on "Forums" from the main Roadfood page should take you to the overall index, not just the "latest" and "active" lists.

Link it to here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Forums

Instead of here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/

I actually sort of hate that view because it discourages surveying the entirety of the forums and just concentrating on the newest/busiest stuff.  But the newest/busiest stuff isn't what Roadfood is all about (as far as I can tell!).  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/19 18:02:05 (permalink)
Ketteract
The only thing I'd say is that clicking on "Forums" from the main Roadfood page should take you to the overall index, not just the "latest" and "active" lists.
 Link it to here:
 Instead of here:
 I actually sort of hate that view because it discourages surveying the entirety of the forums and just concentrating on the newest/busiest stuff.  But the newest/busiest stuff isn't what Roadfood is all about (as far as I can tell!).  

Click on Forums on the home page and on the next page it takes you to, over on the upper left, under the Roadfood.com logo, there's a click-on for forums. Click on that and it gives you a dropdown of all the forums. 
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/19 18:13:34 (permalink)
Foodbme
Ketteract
 Link it to here:
 Instead of here:

Click on Forums on the home page and on the next page it takes you to, over on the upper left, under the Roadfood.com logo, there's a click-on for forums. Click on that and it gives you a dropdown of all the forums. 

I know. My point is that the index of all forums is the first thing someone should see, especially people that are new to Roadfood.  Extra clicks are death.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10390
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/19 22:13:58 (permalink)
cecif
New forums look pretty ... but I cannot figure out how to change my password. Looked in all the usual places, profile and the settings wheel etc etc.
Help?

It always brings a big smile to my face to see you post here Ceci!  I spent some time looking around and I couldn't figure out how to do it, either.  So you aren't alone in this.  Hopefully, someone will come along to answer your question.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/20 05:19:24 (permalink)
Ketteract
Foodbme
Ketteract
 Link it to here:
 Instead of here:

I know. My point is that the index of all forums is the first thing someone should see, especially people that are new to Roadfood.  Extra clicks are death.

Ketteract
Foodbme
Ketteract
 Link it to here:
 Instead of here:

I Understand.

The FIRST THING anyone should see, especially newcomers, is a Primer, A New Visitor Tutorial on how to navigate thru Roadfood.com:
  1. How to use the search function
  2. How to use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" function
  3. How to do a post
  4. How to find a Forum
  5. How to register
  6. How to follow the rules of conduct.
  7. How to Etc, Etc. Etc.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/20 11:02:49 (permalink)
On the iPad I get the home screen that looks like my laptop computer but when I select Latest Forum Conversations > Show me all unread topics I get a totally foreign screen that seems to have no navigation tools. The iPad is what I use when I travel, which means, if I can't figure this out, I will be ignoring Roadfood.com.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2712
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/20 11:36:04 (permalink)
Davydd - On my Android phone, I have found the new version of "Latest Posts" and "Unread Posts" to be closer to the PC version than it was with the previous software. There's a small checkerboard icon in the upper right of my screen that has links to the various views.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/21 12:53:55 (permalink)
Yeah, I know there's a workaround, but...

Sometimes I will come here twice in a day. Sometimes, a week or two will pass before I visit. That was never a problem with me since we had "posts since last visit", and, if I spent too much time, "reset last visit time". I don't see either one on the menus. Thankfully, I book marked ScreamingChicken's link (http://www.roadfood.com/F...px?searchfor=lastvisit) but I'm not sure what to do if my last visit time gets reset (which has not happened yet), or how to get this just from the menus.

Bart
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/21 14:17:13 (permalink)
cecif
Help?

Hey Ceci, I did a bit of sleuthing and if you are on the home page, click on "My Roadfood" in the upper right hand corner.  The next page that should show up will have "Update Preferences" on the upper left and just below that should be "Update Password".  Hope this helps!
post edited by billyboy - 2014/07/21 14:18:45
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/23 10:16:30 (permalink)
billyboy

Hey Ceci, I did a bit of sleuthing and if you are on the home page, click on "My Roadfood" in the upper right hand corner.  The next page that should show up will have "Update Preferences" on the upper left and just below that should be "Update Password".  Hope this helps!

YES! Problem was simply looking in every part of the forums instead of considering the main page. Doh. Thanks billyboy!!! (And hi BB!)
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/07/23 13:07:14 (permalink)

OK, so this was my first post trying to directly attach an image instead of using a url from my Photobucket account. Is there a way to not have the "attached images ?" show, or does that have to stay in the post? Thanks!

Finally back to cooking a dinner. Shrimp, marinated for 4 hours in wine, lemon, grape seed oil, garlic, herbs de provence and garlic. Grilled on the BBQ. Served with turmeric rice and fresh green beans.

PS---any one know how to get rid of the ? 'attached image' file when I upload? It's my first time.....
 post edited by EdSails - 13 hours ago

Attached Image(s)

iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 484
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/08/06 20:46:12 (permalink)
I enjoy coming here ever since I found this Forum but Im going to be straight upfront and honest..........This Forum is impossible to navigate! 
I liked the way the old Forum was set up MUCH better!!!

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4633
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/08/07 09:54:15 (permalink)
It certainly is less than optimal in mobile form.
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1420
Re: We are live with the new Forum! 2014/09/02 21:40:35 (permalink)
iluvcfood
I enjoy coming here ever since I found this Forum but Im going to be straight upfront and honest..........This Forum is impossible to navigate! 
I liked the way the old Forum was set up MUCH better!!!

Agreed.  I've tried and tried to get this to work well, but it's buggy.  It almost never goes to the first unread post anymore, so I have to scroll through material I've already read to get to the new stuff.  I also can't figure out the sections that I assume are meant to be useful, but are actually confusing--to me, anyway.  I hope someone is working on making it more user friendly. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1