Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn

Author
Beef&Fries
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
2009/07/20 11:55:32 (permalink)

Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn

lots of business lunches and meetings last week was diners paradise in KC.

Lunch Tuesday at Strouds for starters, went with chicken fried steak instead of regular chicken dinner, outstanding cfs barely fit on the platter, very crispy crust with nice meat underneath, cut with fork, served with the house potatoes, outstanding gravy and green beans and finished off with delicious cinnamon rolls- I added a little pepper to gravy ladled over cfs 'cause I like pepper.

Dinner Wed at Okalohama Joe's was late birthday dinner w/wife and daughter- had flu on my birthday couple weeks ago - Joe's is my #1 bbq now, much as I hate to say it it's surpassed Bryants in my book.  Wife has usual pulled pork sandwich which is big and very smokey, I went for burnt end dinner special for a change instead of beef sandwich and was not disappointed, just outstanding food.  Daughter (6yo) went for hot dog instead of her usual rib sandwich and it was even a great hot dog (tho Dad was upset because I usually sneaked a rib or two off her sandwich). Fries and beans with the meal were great, very salty, spicy fries nice and crisp, and beans are a great mix of several kids of beans in a meaty flavorful sauce.

Coyote Grill is back in KC now, PBJ Restaurant group re-branded the former Yahooz and Coyote was always a favorite place of ours, lunch Thursday was great, excellent service and very flavorful quesadilla (sp?), only problem was they don't have their excellent marguarita cart at lunch, tableside fresh marguarita's can't be beat.  PBJ restaurant group is #1, all their places are excellent.

Hereford House lunch Friday was huge disappointment as is has been several times lately, their steaks taste like a 200-person banquet at a Holiday Inn lately I'm sorry to day, still excellent service and sides, great coconut chicken appetizer, but I just can't recommend them as a steak house anymore, sad,

Dragon Inn for dinner Friday night was celebration for daughter, her favorite restaurant and was excellent as usual, we think it's the best chinese food in KC, consistent, great, friendly service, and very flavorful.

Anyway, had to bicycle 45 miles saturday to work off some of last weeks fun, actually tired of eating out and looking forward to home cooking this week, made a big pot of meatballs for grinders and couple pans of smoked chicken enchilada's over the weekend to get us through the week.

18 Replies Related Threads

Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/20 14:29:24 (permalink)
    B&F,

Any thoughts on the Olathe outpost of Oklahoma Joe's vs the original? Geographically the Olathe store works better for us but we want to make sure to get the good stuff.
    post edited by Howard Baratz - 2009/07/20 14:36:13
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4276
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/20 14:40:31 (permalink)
    While I really do appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to post your experiences here, I have to ask, with tongue slightly implanted in cheek, can you legitimately call this a "trip report" when in fact you actually live in the town you're reporting on?

Buddy
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/20 14:46:24 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

While I really do appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to post your experiences here, I have to ask, with tongue slightly implanted in cheek, can you legitimately call this a "trip report" when in fact you actually live in the town you're reporting on?

Buddy

well now I'm screwed. I was gonna report on some places in my home valley.
    Maybe I'll call them I-5 Vacation Vignettes.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/20 17:32:22 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Since the economy sucks and most people can't afford to travel the hospitality industry has invented the ridiculous concept of a "staycation". Maybe this is actually a "staycation report".
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/20 22:01:33 (permalink)
    Stephen!  We need a 'staycation' section!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/21 07:58:20 (permalink)
    I see nothing  wrong with posting about restaurants that you  are enjoying in your own area.   This is where people come to look for information on places that they are going to  and will find such information helpful.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/21 14:11:33 (permalink)
    Okay, see that line where I use the words, "with tongue slightly implanted in cheek"?  Those words mean that I am joking.  For those of you who didn't get that, I'm sorry for not using a big ol' smiley face emoticon or the internet abbreviation "LOL" to make it way more obvious to you that this was not meant as a serious criticism.

I'm not a big fan of the emoticons and so, tend not to use them.  In the future I promise to make my humorous posts at least 20% funnier so as to make it more apparent when I'm kidding around.

Like this one.

Buddy
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/21 14:29:36 (permalink)
    The posts must be no less than 26.4% funnier, BR, or I will report them

Unless you send me free bbq sauce.  Regular please.

You have been warned.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/21 15:36:32 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I'm not a big fan of the emoticons and so, tend not to use them.  In the future I promise to make my humorous posts at least 20% funnier so as to make it more apparent when I'm kidding around.

Buddy -

I always thought that you bore a slight, passing resemblance to the recently departed Billy Mays.  So, I hope that you will be throwing in the 20% extra funny at no extra charge....and only to the first 50 callers.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/21 23:59:30 (permalink)
    All of my posts, funny or not, are guaranteed to get your whites whiter and your colors brighter.  Apply before throwing your clothes in the washer and get ready for some amazing results!

Buddy
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 08:10:43 (permalink)
    Sorry to read about Hereford House. And I would have to visit Stroud's many, many times to ever order anything but the fried chicken, but it comes as no surprise the CFS was good, too.  Thanks for the report from one of our great eating cities!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 14:20:00 (permalink)
    bb,

I had a similar attitude about ordering anything other than chicken at Stroud's (I once watched in horror as my brother, a first time visitor to KC and Stroud's, ordered the chopped steak dinner.  I guess he was happy with it, but what does he know?).  That is until one visit when a friend, a local, urged me to order the chicken fried steak while he ordered the regular fried chicken dinner.  His logic was we would split the entrees and even if I was unhappy with the CFS, at least I'd be getting some fried chicken in the deal too.

Well, lemme tell ya, there was no disappointment in my decision.  That slab of pan fried perfection came to our table overlapping the edges of the plate.  Golden brown, enveloped in the same breading Stroud's uses for their chicken, crispy outside and tender as can be inside.  I almost had second thoughts about sharing, but I really did want a hunk of that chicken.

Of course, the same options for side dishes are available with the CFS as with the chicken, so no loss there.  In fact, as good as that steak was, I'm thinking about trying the fish on a future visit.  Who knows, maybe I'll even check out the chopped steak dinner...

Buddy
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 14:25:51 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    All of my posts, funny or not, are guaranteed to get your whites whiter and your colors brighter.  Apply before throwing your clothes in the washer and get ready for some amazing results!

Buddy

I judge this post to be a mere 28.3% funnier - you are cutting it close, BR

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 14:30:54 (permalink)
    I'm strictly a "fried chicken" person at Stroud's, because I get there so seldom, and the chicken is exceptional.

But I am told the pork chops are fantastic, too.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 707
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 14:42:37 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

bb,

I had a similar attitude about ordering anything other than chicken at Stroud's (I once watched in horror as my brother, a first time visitor to KC and Stroud's, ordered the chopped steak dinner.  I guess he was happy with it, but what does he know?).  That is until one visit when a friend, a local, urged me to order the chicken fried steak while he ordered the regular fried chicken dinner.  His logic was we would split the entrees and even if I was unhappy with the CFS, at least I'd be getting some fried chicken in the deal too.

Well, lemme tell ya, there was no disappointment in my decision.  That slab of pan fried perfection came to our table overlapping the edges of the plate.  Golden brown, enveloped in the same breading Stroud's uses for their chicken, crispy outside and tender as can be inside.  I almost had second thoughts about sharing, but I really did want a hunk of that chicken.

Of course, the same options for side dishes are available with the CFS as with the chicken, so no loss there.  In fact, as good as that steak was, I'm thinking about trying the fish on a future visit.  Who knows, maybe I'll even check out the chopped steak dinner...

Buddy

We did get the catfish the last time we were all there, remember?  It was really good.  Wished we'd ordered two, in fact!

Beef&Fries
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 14:48:46 (permalink)
    I've had the catfish and pork chops at Strouds and both are outstanding, similar to Buddyroadhouse above it was in groups where we ordered different items to try, I'd suggest it to others in your future visits.

Went for the chicken fried steak at lunch since the regular chicken takes 20+ minutes, each piece cooked fresh.

Didn't imagine I'd start such a fuss about "road trip", lol, felt like one since I don't eat out in KC that much in a week often.

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/07/22 15:12:46 (permalink)
    No fuss, B&F, it was a joke

Keep posting
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Week in KC - Strouds, Oklahoma Joe's, Coyote Grill, Hereford House, Dragon Inn 2009/09/18 11:28:11 (permalink)
    Howard, The Olathe Oklahoma Joe's has the same food in a MUCH larger facility with an attached BBQ supply store. At lunch time the line can still go out the door, but they have a huge staff behind the counter and the line moves fairly fast.

I have never, ever had a good experience at Hereford House.

Keith
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1