Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures)

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3726
2011/02/11 20:01:18 (permalink)

Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures)

I enjoyed a nice getaway weekend on the Eastern shore in Maryland this past weekend.  I hated looking at all the snow and just wanted to look at something else.  I got a wonderful rate at the Hyatt Regency Resort in Cambridge, Md.  and off I went on Sunday morning.  
I had a late                breakfast at Holly's restaurant where I have eaten before.  I ordered chipped beef on toast and it was  outstanding..................perhaps the best that I have ever had.  Fried chicken is something that they are famous for, and I noticed that it was listed on the menu by the piece, so ordered a piece of chicken breast.  It  was disappointing.  It had a wonderful crispy and delicious coating but the chicken was very dry...................maybe it was the  wrong time of day to have it.  However the huge serving of chipped beef more than made up for the chicken.  I could not begin to finish it. The service was great.  I really enjoy this place.Welcome to Holly's Restaurant & Motel

I checked into my very elegant  room  and then headed down to the hot tub and pool.  The hot tub was huge and what was really neat was that if you swam  out into an opening  you were outside in the hot tub.  It was really nice.  A tropical drink set me back  ten bucks!   Oh well,  I  was pretending to be wealthy.

The Hyatt had a huge screen set up for people to watch the  Super Bowl.  It looked tempting but I decided to go to a place that I had called.  They assured me that there would be  TV;s to watch the game and told me to be sure and join in on the party.  So  off I went to http://www.snapperswaterfrontcafe.com/home.html  I went upstairs and it turned out to be a very small party of all locals.  The owner and his wife treated me like visiting royalty.  Everyone talked to me and I felt so comfortable.  The food was free and consisted of subs, meatballs and potato chips made by the owner's wife, and other food which I did not pay attention to.  I had a delicious sub with a beer.  That first beer was the only thing I paid for all evening.  Every time that the Packer's scored, the great bartender threw jello shots at each person.  The owner bought  drinks for all and everyone had a wonderful time.  I cannot wait to come back to this place with my family for dinner sometime.

The next morning, I decided to go to Ocean City for the day.  I stopped at the Cambridge Diner for breakfast.  I had the French toast and sausage, along with iced tea.  Everything was excellent.  The  service was very good and friendly.  On the way out<  I spent at least a couple of minutes looking at all the amazing cakes and pies on display.  This was a great place to stop.

Ocean City was deserted........did not see a single soul walking!  Even the beach was empty.  I  imagine that the hotels that remain open all year did not have any business at all.  II did some shopping  and had a very early dinner at  http://www.bjsonthewater.com/   I had an wonderful appetizer of  fried oysters, done perfectly, along with a small  house salad. The oysters were outstanding.  It was lovely sitting there and watching the ducks swimming around.   The owner came over and chatted with me for a while.  It was a very enjoyable meal.

I headed back to my hotel in  Cambridge  and into the pool and hot tub for a hour.  Then it was back to my room with a great book that I am enjoying.  The next morning, I checked out and drove to Easton and had breakfast at the  Easton Diner.  Here again, the service was really good.  I had some wonderful sausage gravy and biscuits.  The iced tea was terrific.  The one item that was not way above par was the shredded potatoes.  They were not the least  bit crisp.  It looked like they sprinkled paprika on them for a little color.

I stopped at the Queenstown Outlet  Center and went to Pepperidge farm  Outlet to stock up on  lots of goodies.  Of course I had to stop at Polock Johnny's  for  a  Polish sausauge sandwich.  Then I was on my way  across  the  big old  Bay Bridge and back home to the ususal  life................a great getaway! 

18 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8362
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/11 20:41:37 (permalink)
    Sounds absolutely lovely!!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/12 08:16:16 (permalink)
    Greymo, What a nice report! Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for posting.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/12 15:47:59 (permalink)
    Those look and sound like some great places to eat, for the service as well as the food (pass the oysters, please).  What's typical Eastern Shore weather for this time of year?

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18441
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/12 16:10:20 (permalink)
    Terrific report. Sounds like a very nice weekend. and a hot tub? Whoa!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 894
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/14 15:09:48 (permalink)
    Thank you for the very nice report.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/15 15:03:06 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Those look and sound like some great places to eat, for the service as well as the food (pass the oysters, please).  What's typical Eastern Shore weather for this time of year?

Brad

It is winter on the Eastern shore..............................and the wind coming off the ocean is  COLD!
    However, there is little snow there so it is a great place to go when sick of snow.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/15 16:11:50 (permalink)
    I may have to replicate your get away. Sounds fun and relaxing.

Pics aren't needed when you provide links. Thanks!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/15 17:13:28 (permalink)
    Greymo,
        Sounds nice.  I was recently thinking about our trip to Queenstown to shop, way back when!  Good memories.

OCdreamr 
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/15 20:52:58 (permalink)
    For anyone contemplating a trip to the Cambridge area, would suggest a side visit to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. Go an hour or so before dusk and marvel at tens of thousands of assorted waterfowl returning to the refuge's ponds, you'll never forget it. Note: late fall and winter are best.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4530
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/15 21:08:02 (permalink)
    Greymo, Very nice trip report!  No pics needed.

I will be working in that area soon, and am already looking forward to Snappers and Bj's.
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 10:23:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report, I have been to the Easton Diner last time I was up there doing research and it was good. I should be back this spring so I can check out Snappers. I ate somewhere in Cambridge 2 years ago, but I don't think it was Snappers.

I need to put up more photos from my research trips up there, I have just been to lazy recently.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 10:48:34 (permalink)
    What I want to know is how does a person get to the Eastern Shore without having to cross that godawful bridge? Is there a ferry?

I don't do the Mackinac Bridge, either.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 13:41:31 (permalink)
    My secret to driving across that bridge without having a heart attack is to focus on the car directly ahead of me and look nowhere else..............................has worked well every time!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 13:58:23 (permalink)
    Very nice write-up, Greymo. Holly's is a longtime favorite and I just included it and Layton's Family Restaurant in OC in a triptik for Mrs. i95 as she and my youngest are heading that way tomorrow. (Today's high winds must seriously be presenting a threat to Bay Bridge motorists! " />)
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 14:43:06 (permalink)
    You'd have to come down from Wilmington  (such as US40 or I95) via Delaware 1.
    Keep in mind to all of us you're the one on the wrong side of bridge - there is no life west of the Chesapeake Bay, lol.

What's wrong with the Bay Bridge?   Come on, only 1 person has died going over the side in a vehicle in the past 30 years or so that I can think of.    It took 5 1/2 hours for me to get from Delaware to Baltimore that day  (normally 2 hours).

So I'd guess your REALLLLLLY don't like the Bay Bridge-Tunnel 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 14:54:40 (permalink)
    Actually, three people died in an accident in  2007   and  one person  died in 2008.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/19 14:59:27 (permalink)
    What's wrong with the Bay Bridge? It's a bridge. It's a long bridge.
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Weekend Getaway on Eastern shore, Maryland (no pictures) 2011/02/20 09:57:37 (permalink)
    I love the Bay Bridge when the sun is setting.

I was coming down the Bay-Bridge Tunnel back in the fall when there was a massive rainstorm. When I went down through one of the tunnels it wasn't raining, but when I came up the other side the rain was so hard I couldn't see ten feet in front of me. That's the only time the Bridge-Tunnel was kind of scary.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1