Weekend Plans?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
2003/10/24 08:30:11 (permalink)

Weekend Plans?

Now that yet another weekend is upon us, I thought it would be interesting to find out what kind of gastronomical experiences the roadfooders have planned for the next couple of days.
The weather here in the northland is supposed to be cool and rainy, so I'm thinking soups and stews myself, with a smatterin' of some fine brew tasting. How about you?!

42 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 08:51:29 (permalink)
    A fine question indeed. Weather's still in the mid-80s here, and only plans to dip down to the low 60s at night the next week, so hot cocoa is still out of the question in the evenings. Another football weekend is upon us, and I plan to make burgundy beef and garlic mashed. I hope to invoke cooler weather by whipping up a batch of Italian wedding soup or stuffed cabbage - as well, to give my lanky 16 year-old 'something to eat for a snack'.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 08:55:04 (permalink)
    I plan to slow cook a roast beef in the oven and make garlic mashed potatos to accompany it.
    Since it was 30 degrees this a.m. in northwest NJ, its time to take our sailboat out of the water this weekend.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 08:59:14 (permalink)
    Since you asked, tomorrow we are running a food shopping bus trip to New York City to benefit our small local library. Our first stop will be the Union Square Greenmarket, followed by stops at Little Italy/Chinatown, Dean & DeLuca's in Soho, and Zabar's. Most people bring big coolers that are stored in the luggage compartment and at the pickup for each stop, they can stash their purchases in them.

For $30.00, the passengers get juice and homemade muffins and coffee cake on the ride in, wine, cheese, crackers and fruit on the ride home, and me as the hostess.

Then the rest of the weekend, my family will be gorging on all the goodies I bring home with me.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 09:05:24 (permalink)
    Fresh Rhode Island seafood tommorow evening, then a trip up to Boston's North End on Sunday for an Italian Pastry and a Cappuccino or Espresso
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 09:14:37 (permalink)
    Now that my lot,foundation and subfloor is ready,Im leaving today-friday- for Illinios to pick up my the bulk of my new home---its a precut dome package--- and im taking along a list of roadfood suggestions for the trip that i asked for a few weeks ago---looking forward to some Italian in St Louis! may have to eat there on the return trip with so many to chose from---and an Amish feast in Sullivan Illinios--where i happen to be going for the dome. Its about 20 hrs of driving all together and it will only take about three hrs to load the truck so i figure with the stops for meals the trip should only take,oh say,3or4 days!
    My neighbors are amazed that i am as excited about new meals as i am about the new home! Some poor folks just dont get it!!I tell them its in my italian blood---food IS life and life---as we all know---should be CELBRATED!!! New home!---new food!--new friends and neighbors!!!Whats NOT to celebrate.
    Hope you all have as good a weekend as i will!!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 09:49:04 (permalink)
    Boys have soccer games this weekend (thankfully not too far away) and I plan on cooking a whole brisket on Sunday and having a couple of other families over on Sunday p.m.

I also need to start getting it togther for the Holiday baking marathon. A trip to Sam's is probably in the works. Also will be going through the hunting stuff and seeing what fits boys and what doesn't. My oldest is now wearing all of my stuff, so he is good, but have to find waders for youngest, who is really fired up that he isn't going to be left at home sleeping this year when we leave for the blind. He is basically sleeping with his little .410 as a reminder to me not to forget about him.
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 09:55:56 (permalink)
    I have the least desirable weekend ahead of me. My in-laws along with my wife's grandmother, aunt & uncle will be arriving this Saturday for a three month stay. Each year around this time family members flock from their northern homesteads to the Sunshine State. Thankfully they rent a home nearby so I won't be tripping over their luggage. Far as gastronomic challenges thinking I may open three to four bottles of wine and drink myself to a blissful state.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 10:03:09 (permalink)
    Football! Tonight we are going to the Pearland vs. Northshore game.
    Pearland ( my town outside of Houston) is 7-0 as is Northshore, so it is going to be a fantastic game. Will probably have a frito pie at the game. Maybe a giant dill pickle.

The rest of the weekend is going to be spent doing final shopping for my floor replacement after the ice maker disaster and tearing out the powder room cabinet and packing up bookcases so the work can be started.

Mayhaw - buck fever is starting around my house. Dove season took a little bit of the edge off. All three of my kids got their limits every day. Their mama is too embarrased to go to the skeet range anymore. Everyone kicks my butt.

That is cute about your son sleeping with his gun. Maybe he is afraid he will be left sleeping when he is supposed to be at school!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 10:04:40 (permalink)
    There's a block party at the Katy Trail here in Dallas. The trail is the former Katy RR Right of Way. It's a nice trail that meanders through the center of Dallas.

Anyway, this is their first block party and thay are advertising food and drinks (nothing specific) and a raffle. Since it's right outside my door, I think I'll go!

Also I bought my first iron skillet, so I think I'll crank up the oven to season it. We've had record breaking heat here lately, so I've been putting that off. Suppose to be much cooler here this weekend.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:05:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

That is cute about your son sleeping with his gun. Maybe he is afraid he will be left sleeping when he is supposed to be at school!

I think perhaps I was a bit guilty of drawing too clear a picture. He doesn't actually sleep with it, it is just nearby incase of low flying mallards and pintails in his bedroom. It is also the shiniest, cleanest gun on earth, thanks to his fixation on rubbing it like a genie's lamp. It's a guy thing i guess. He does keep his calls (which he cannot blow for beans, unless he is trying to imitate birds that have already been shot)hanging on his bed, though. He LOOKS like he knows what he is doing, and that is really what counts when you are an eleven year old kid out with the men
    Lone Star
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:14:39 (permalink)
    Ruby Rose - that sounds like a great outing! What a great price too.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:22:07 (permalink)
    made chicken stew with homeade bisquits! comfort food in the big city of chicago!
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:32:01 (permalink)
    I've been meaning to make potato soup for the past few days and am thinking that this weekend will be the time. Other than that, not sure; I've recently become addicted to the food at a great little place in nearby Central Falls named[url='http://www.stanleyshamburgers.com/']Stanley's Famous Hamburgers.[/url] You can guess what they serve. Really fun - I can't believe I've lived ten minutes away from it all these years without knowing it. Great cheddar and Quebec fries, too. So a trip there for Stanleyburgers might be in order. We'll see...
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:38:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jgleduc

it. Great cheddar and Quebec fries, too.

????? Quebec Fries???????
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 11:43:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Mayhaw Man: ????? Quebec Fries???????

It's what they call their version of poutine. I just stuck with their nomenclature. More of a cheddar fries person, myself.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 12:12:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Boys have soccer games this weekend (thankfully not too far away) and I plan on cooking a whole brisket on Sunday and having a couple of other families over on Sunday p.m.

I also need to start getting it togther for the Holiday baking marathon. A trip to Sam's is probably in the works. Also will be going through the hunting stuff and seeing what fits boys and what doesn't. My oldest is now wearing all of my stuff, so he is good, but have to find waders for youngest, who is really fired up that he isn't going to be left at home sleeping this year when we leave for the blind. He is basically sleeping with his little .410 as a reminder to me not to forget about him.

The first year my grandson was able to actually hunt, following completion of a hunter education course, I bought him an H&R combo with a 28-gauge barrel and a .22-Hornet barrel. He was 8. The next season I got him an 870 with a rifled barrel (Ohio is a shotgun and handgun only state for deer). The following season both guns were too small for the kid.

Now, he wants a Benelli for sporting clays. And a new cam bow. He knows I'm made of money.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 12:14:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

The first year my grandson was able to actually hunt, following completion of a hunter education course, I bought him an H&R combo with a 28-gauge barrel and a .22-Hornet barrel. He was 8. The next season I got him an 870 with a rifled barrel (Ohio is a shotgun and handgun only state for deer). The following season both guns were too small for the kid.

Now, he wants a Benelli for sporting clays. And a new cam bow. He knows I'm made of money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't know how I screwed up this post, but it will just have to stay like this." />

We have (Louisiana) a law that makes you complete hunter education by age 16. Both of my boys have been through it, and I don't know about everyone else's but Louisiana's program is really interesting and informative. We might not be able to teach em how to read, but we can teach em to hunt, by God

I have found that pawn shopping is the way to go for hunting gear for kids. While I am a big believer in don't by them cheap stuff if you want them to learn anything and do well, I also know that a used Bennelli can be bought right after hunting season for a whole lot less than a used or a new one can be bought in the fall. Pawn shops are also great resources for bow hunting equipment.

It's kind of nice though, both of my children and my brothers and my father and my grandfather all started out with the same .410. It is an old single tree of indeterminate brand, has been reworked innumerable times, and weighs a ton. It was originally purchased by my great grandfather for my grandfather at a company store (whatever International Paper was in Arkansas at the time) probably with company script. I hope it holds up for my grandkids. That gun has killed more tin cans and milk jugs than any gun on earth. I bought my youngest a new one last year to save wear and tear on the old one.

We also have a lifetime basic hunting and fishing combo license that is a bargain at $500. I will get them for both of them as they turn 16. It remains good even if you cease to become a resident of the state. Which is great if you come home to hunt and fish with your family after you grow up and move away. My brothers spend a ton every year on various temp. licenses and it is too late for them to buy one, for we are all getting a little long in the tooth and the law is only a few years old.

Lone Star
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 12:36:11 (permalink)
    I got a Benelli 20g for my birthday last year and I love it. The twins got them this year. They are beautiful shotguns.

I had an old Remington bolt-action 16g that I used for years, and I am still having withdrawl pains.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 12:55:30 (permalink)
    1. The Big Pig Jig - the Georgia State BBQ Championship is in Vienna, GA this weekend.

2. Do you guys know of any pump .410 shotguns for sale?
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 14:20:37 (permalink)
    I'm housesitting for my brother, who has thoughtfully provided me with food. No more canned soup! Hurray!

Other than that, I'm just working all weekend. Although, visiting Roadfood has caused me to realize that I haven't eaten at Joe's/The Easley Ice Cream Parlor in a very long time. It's been known by both names since time out of mind. I need a cheeseburger. With chili. And fries.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 15:23:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I got a Benelli 20g for my birthday last year and I love it. The twins got them this year. They are beautiful shotguns.

I had an old Remington bolt-action 16g that I used for years, and I am still having withdrawl pains.

Benellis are fine shotguns. But this 15 year old kid already has two Brownings, two Remingtons, a Ruger and an H&R. And that's just the shotguns.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 15:30:40 (permalink)
    quote:

[quote
    We have (Louisiana) a law that makes you complete hunter education by age 16. Both of my boys have been through it, and I don't know about everyone else's but Louisiana's program is really interesting and informative. We might not be able to teach em how to read, but we can teach em to hunt, by God

I have found that pawn shopping is the way to go for hunting gear for kids. While I am a big believer in don't by them cheap stuff if you want them to learn anything and do well, I also know that a used Bennelli can be bought right after hunting season for a whole lot less than a used or a new one can be bought in the fall. Pawn shops are also great resources for bow hunting equipment.

It's kind of nice though, both of my children and my brothers and my father and my grandfather all started out with the same .410. It is an old single tree of indeterminate brand, has been reworked innumerable times, and weighs a ton. It was originally purchased by my great grandfather for my grandfather at a company store (whatever International Paper was in Arkansas at the time) probably with company script. I hope it holds up for my grandkids. That gun has killed more tin cans and milk jugs than any gun on earth. I bought my youngest a new one last year to save wear and tear on the old one.

We also have a lifetime basic hunting and fishing combo license that is a bargain at $500. I will get them for both of them as they turn 16. It remains good even if you cease to become a resident of the state. Which is great if you come home to hunt and fish with your family after you grow up and move away. My brothers spend a ton every year on various temp. licenses and it is too late for them to buy one, for we are all getting a little long in the tooth and the law is only a few years old.

I really like the idea of the lifetime licenses. North Carolina has that, too. Unfortunately, we do not have it in Ohio. Here, anyone under 21 must take and pass a hunter's education course. Anyone over 21, who has had a license in the past does not need to take the course. Anyone who ever plans to hunt in some other states, New York and Colorado come quickly to mind, won't be able to acquire licenses or permits in thos states without proof of having passed a course in their home state.

I decided to take the course with my grandson. I was concerned because on the first day (it was a weekend course) he didn;t seem to be paying a whole lot of attention. I mentioned this to him on the way home and he said, "Grandpa, you only have to pay attention to the stuff you don't know."

He passed with flying colors.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 15:36:05 (permalink)
    I'm going to work on getting through the "roadfood" suggestions you guys gave me for my Des Moines project (which I should finish next week). I am going to try "Waterfront Seafood" and/or "Big Daddy's Barbecue" this week end, and that should just about finish up the list. After a week in Kansas City (and maybe a couple of days in Oklahoma City), I will then head to Milwaukee and be there until around Christmas.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 15:49:34 (permalink)
    Going down to Denver to spend the day with my guy. He's a massage therapist so I'm going to demand a two-hour massage, followed by some hot pizza and cool jazz at Bourbon Street Pizzeria to celebrate my birthday next week. Then,..........? Gain an extra hour too! When my birthday falls on the Saturday when Daylight Savings ends, one of my sisters always says she's giving me an extra hour for my birthday.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 17:05:39 (permalink)
    Well, if you are into small children, you would love to be with me this weekend. We rise bright and early tomorrow and head for Mt. Vernon to meet "General Washington," and witness wheat-treading
    and farrier (blacksmithing) demonstrations.We will make cornhusk dolls, take a wagon ride,and find our way through the Straw Bale Maze. An on-site Harvest Bake Sale will offer us fresh-baked goods, sandwiches and beverages. We will also take a half price boat tour on the Potomac river. All the kids will get a free pumpkin.

We will then find someplace to eat between there and home, hopefully for crabs. After that, it will be time to dress the children for their church's "Trick or Treat" evening. This is really neat. All the cars park in the brightly lighted parking lot at church and the kids have a really fun and safe "Tail Gate Trick or Treat" night. Sunday it will be off (very early) to the Farmer's market to buy lots of goodies and then home to do some cooking for the week.......mushroom stew being first on the list. In the afternoon, we go to our club for another children's party. While the children are doing their costume contest, making free sundaes, making scarecrows, etc., the adult will be sipping adult drinks and watching football. We will then eat dinner in the casual dining room and off for home and Sunday night football.

This must sound depressing to many of you, but what in heck can ya do with 3 small ones in the house? At least I will get a lot of good home cooking done on Sunday morning and we will be eating great next week.
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 18:38:31 (permalink)
    My 12 gauge is in Texas at Briley getting choked and tubed and I miss it. Boo hoo. Now I am shooting my Beretta 686 and loving it. Can't wait to go shooting tonight. Thanks for sending all the great TV shows from Texas, Virginia, Maryland, etc. etc. that I get to watch on the outdoor channel. Wish I was there.
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 19:05:49 (permalink)
    On the thread... we will be dining on FABULOUS tri tip at the Oak Tree Gun Club tonight for dinner and Sunday morning for really really tasty french toast, bacon, burritos and fish tacos.

A dining delight any time -- day or night.

And lots of great brew.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/24 23:18:01 (permalink)
    Tomorrow my brother is picking up a big batch of spiny lobsters in Ventura on his way to my mom's in Redondo Beach. We'll have a big lobster boil...yay!
    Lone Star
    RE: Weekend Plans? 2003/10/25 01:39:13 (permalink)
    Well, we lost the big game tonight. Bad. It was awful.

On a brighter note, we will be getting up to go select our flooring tomorrow, but first we will have breakfast at Adelitas. On the menu:

Huevos Rancheros
    Barbacoa Taco
    Refried Beans
    Fried Potatoes
    Pico
    Corn Tortillas
    Coffee

Y'all have a great weekend!

p.s. GO MARLINS!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1