Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio

Author
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
2007/06/13 15:30:19 (permalink)

Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio

I went with a friend to the Rose Festival in Columbus, and spent the weekend.

We started in Worthington, a suburb of Columbus, north of OSU. They were having a great farmer's market, and had lots of little shops. We had lunch at the Worthington Inn. My friend had a burger, and I had a roasted veggie wrap that was delicious. No food pics, but here are pics of Worthington & Worthington Inn.

We ate on the front porch.

Then we were off to the Rose Festival in Whetstone Park. It has been voted one of the best rose parks in the world {#6 in USA Today poll}. This is just a small sampling.

After checking into the hotel, we went downtown to the Columbus Arts Festival. It was very crowded. After fighting the crowd, all I wanted was a drink and a "non-port-a-let". So we walked up by the Capitol Building to Elevator Brewery.

http://www.elevatorbrewing.com/about.php

We ended up having dinner here. The food was good, but some service and expediting issues were "off". They were very busy, so I was forgiving.
NOW FOR THE ROADFOOD HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP

We had breakfast at The Blue Danube. What a funky, roadfoody place. The breakfast was excellent, the service was good, and the atmosphere was barroom dive. OSU students have painted the ceiling panels. Mt friend had the eggs benedict, and I had the breakfast burrito, stuffed with beans, ham, bacon, potatoes and eggs.

AND MY FAVORITE CEILING TILE~~

I felt comfortable taking pictures here. No one acted like we were out of place for doing so.

Before leaving, we explored German Village. We had a drink at the original Max and Erma's. I picked up some stuff from the deli at Schmidt's and will report on it on the appropriate forum {since I made this stuff at home}.

All in all, a fun trip!!

10 Replies Related Threads

soozycue520
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/13 15:52:55 (permalink)
    OKAY, it has been a while since I posted pictures. It took my 20 minutes, but I think I finally got it!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/13 16:07:05 (permalink)
    Great report, Soozycue. You have just posted some great evidence that a Trip report can be a day trip from home...Or a cross country jaunt like Wandering Jew's. You did a nice job on the photos and the commentary.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/13 16:26:40 (permalink)
    What a thrill it was to read a trip report about and see pictures of my hometown, Worthington, Ohio. The Worthington Inn has long been a place of much interest and good place to eat, no matter what the restaurant might be at any given time. But it has been a fine dining place now for well over 20 years after years of buffet, etc. It has wonderful inn rooms furnished in antiques. The Inn has been restored to its original glory and dates back to the founding of Worthington. BEautiful pictures of a beautiful city. I graduated Worthington High School 61 years ago this month.

And Schmidts is a place very much worth visiting....wonderful food and the great ambiance of German Village. The Bahama Mama has long been one of our favorite things to eat, but this is the first I've seen the Bahama Mama patty, always had it in the form of a sausage before. They also have humongous cream puffs, large enough to share with a couple of people.

The Elevator Brewery has always been a restaurant and long ago was known as The Clock, was and still is a good place to eat. All these places are so familiar to me and it made me happy to read that someone from out of town visited and liked them, and reported about them on this famous forum.

Donna
    soozycue520
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/13 16:35:22 (permalink)
    AL~

Thanks!! I really like reporting about my Roadfood/Road Trip experiences.

DONNA~

Worthington is an absolutely beautiful town. You are lucky to be from such a wonderful place. I enjoyed it very much, and wnat to go back sometime.

Thanks for the good words!!
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/13 16:35:26 (permalink)
    You hit some good spots. The Worthington Farmer's market is my favorite one. I've never been to the Worthigton Inn but I hear it is really good. And the Blue Dube is a classic and one of the few campus area landmarks that they have not torn down.

I went to the Elevator Brewery once and had a similar experience. Food wasn't bad but the service was. There are better places in the area but I understand not feeling like exploring after braving the Arts festival. I now avoid most of the downtown festivals as the crowds keep you from really enjoying anything.
    UrbanSpaceman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/14 11:54:31 (permalink)
    As an Ohio State alum, thanks Soozycue for posting your thoughts and picture of the Blue Danube. I've been through a couple of post-drinking "Dube" meals, and can't honestly say I've ever been let down. The service can be a little slow at times, admittingly, but the hole-in-the-wall ambience of the place is worth it alone (I would also suggest Larry's bar which is also on South High st. but right across from OSU's north campus). While I can't remember the actual list, the beer selection at the Dube is amazing, and the food epitomizes what many have deemed a "roadfood spot". Again, it's been a while, but I would certainly recommend the mac-and-cheese bites for a starter, followed by either their chili or any of their HUGE hot dogs. I'm sure I'll find myself there again - can't wait.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/15 06:58:15 (permalink)
    Nice trip and report while eating some good roadfood.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18895
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/15 13:50:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UrbanSpaceman

As an Ohio State alum, thanks Soozycue for posting your thoughts and picture of the Blue Danube. I've been through a couple of post-drinking "Dube" meals, and can't honestly say I've ever been let down. The service can be a little slow at times, admittingly, but the hole-in-the-wall ambience of the place is worth it alone (I would also suggest Larry's bar which is also on South High st. but right across from OSU's north campus). While I can't remember the actual list, the beer selection at the Dube is amazing, and the food epitomizes what many have deemed a "roadfood spot". Again, it's been a while, but I would certainly recommend the mac-and-cheese bites for a starter, followed by either their chili or any of their HUGE hot dogs. I'm sure I'll find myself there again - can't wait.

I guess it's been a while since you've been around campus. That's North High St.
    UrbanSpaceman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/06/16 16:25:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by UrbanSpaceman

I guess it's been a while since you've been around campus. That's North High St.

Um.... yes.... yes it is.... doh
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Weekend Road Trip to Columbus Ohio 2007/09/24 22:48:01 (permalink)
    If you ever get back to Columbus, check out the Noth market. If you've never been, you'll be amazed. I remember looking at at one of the prime meat vendors wares. He had the most beatiful porterhouse I had ever seen. I swear it looked like the one that tipped Fred Flintstines car over. It had to go 7lbs. Well marbled and a thing of beauty.
    britt
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1