Weekend in DC/No. Virginia

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
2008/08/25 13:04:55 (permalink)

Weekend in DC/No. Virginia

A few weeks ago, my girlfriend Mariton was craving Peking Duck. I took her to the best, most authentic Chinese restaurant here in Pittsburgh and she didn't care for it. She longingly told me about how good this dish is at a restaurant near where she used to live in Northern Virginia. Always up for a roadtrip, I suggested we go see if it was still as good. This past weekend, we made that trip.

Friday August 22
We left my girlfriend's house in the South Hills of Pittsburgh just before 5:00PM. Instead of taking the turnpike to DC like I normally do, we took I-79 south to Morgantown and hopped on I-68 east. This would take us right to our first stop, Hen House Restaurant in Frostburg, Maryland.

A fellow Roadfooder recommended it to me and we were looking forward to trying it. When I first pulled up, I thought the situation was hopeless, since I have never seen a restaurant with more cars parked around it in my life. I dropped Mariton and her daughter Emilou off at the front door to grab a table while I drove around looking for a parking spot. Finally, one opened up and when I walked in, I was surprised to see them already seated. As it turns out, there is a dinner theater next door and many of the cars were there for that.

Meals here start off with a bowl of comfy homemade chicken noodle soup, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The dinner rolls were soft and warm and sure tasted homemade.

We asked the waitress if the rolls were made there, but she told us they came from a bakery in nearby Cumberland.

The salad was unremarkable, other than they brought out one big bowl for the three of us, with the dressings in small containers on the side.

The couple who recommended Hen House to us said we should try the crabs. But, this sign was at the front door.

So, we were limited to crabcakes. Mariton ordered the broiled crabcakes.

She really enjoyed the first half dozen bites or so, but changed her opinion as she continued to eat. I went for the Seafood platter, with fried cod, fried clams, fried shrimp, stuffed shrimp, steamed shrimp and a crabcake.

I tried to get my crabcake broiled instead of fried, but wasn't able to get it that way. My crabcake was overdone and other than the fried clams and fried shrimp, I really didn't care for my dinner. The onion rings on the side were crunchy and good.

Emilou ordered the chicken alfredo, which she barely touched.

Mariton also took a few bites of it and also pronounced it terrible.

The restaurant is big and airy and we received very good service. The most impressive thing about the inside is the huge stone fireplace in the center.

Wait, I take that back. The most impressive thing about the place is the Jack Lambert print by the men's room door.

Hen House is very convenient to I-68, but next time I come back, it will be to try the barbecue.

http://www.henhouserestaurant.com/

We arrived at our hotel in Arlington, Virginia just before 11:00PM.

Edited: Because I can't read a calendar. Thanks Nancy!

65 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2914
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 13:40:46 (permalink)
    You guys are off to a good start...I see lots of potential here and a part of the country I have spent little time in. We would have had Butkus near our door! Sorry to hear about the food...
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 16:30:52 (permalink)
    Cliff you are an awfully nice boyfriend to take your girl to the place with the good Peking duck.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 17:56:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

A few weeks ago, my girlfriend Mariton was craving Peking Duck. I took her to the best, most authentic Chinese restaurant here in Pittsburgh and she didn't care for it. She longingly told me about how good this dish is at a restaurant near where she used to live in Northern Virginia.

I'm assuming that you're
    referring to a Falls Church,
    Virginia place once frequently
    patronized by these obvious,
    "honorary" RoadFooders?:

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 17:58:42 (permalink)
    i95-
    Of course, you are 100% correct! The Bushes weren't there, but seemingly everyone else in Northern Virginia was.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 18:23:55 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, you're way too modest as your reputation -- even in Northern Virginia -- precedes you. My theory is that enough Northern Virginians have seen your previous trip reports and simply wanted to get to the Peking Gourmet Inn before you did to ensure that there was still food left.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 18:33:57 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the terrible chicken alfredo...
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 19:02:10 (permalink)
    I'm looking forward to your visit to the Peking Gourmet. When we lived in McLean it was one of our favorite places despite the fact that Asian cuisine is well "down our list". Another place that serves great Peking Duck is Fortune Gourmet on Caroline st. in downtown Fredericksburg. While "Googling" Fortune to get its street I came across another Chinese place in F'burg which I would go to if only to collect a matchbook: Fu KIEN Gourmet!

For any meal try the Metro 29 Diner (Lee Hwy near N. Glebe in Arlington): huge portions, wonderful breakfast, humongous chef salads, great fried shrimp, and an encyclopedic menu. The thing I like best is their french fries; they are served so hot they'll burn your mouth and they are unsalted so that you can season them to taste.

Have a great time and take more of those wonderful pics!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 20:01:50 (permalink)
    quote:

I took her to the best, most authentic Chinese restaurant here in Pittsburgh and she didn't care for it.

Ok,

I spent 5 years in Pittsburgh and not once was ever led that most "authenic Chinese Restaurant" " />

Where is it??!!

By the way Buffetbuster- great report- now I have a hankering for Chinese food and I didn't even have to watch a Jet Li movie!

Toronto is a week and a half a way- I'll be able to satisfy my craving then.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 20:38:08 (permalink)
    i95-
    Considering that my cousin Johnny was with me, there just may be some validity to your theory!

wanderingjew-
    The Chinese place I took Mariton to in Pittsburgh is Oriental Kitchen on Baum Blvd. It truly is the most authentic Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh, but that really isn't saying too much.

If you are craving Chinese food, Toronto will be the perfect place to visit.

Nancypalooza-
    While I certainly appreciate what you said, taking my girlfriend on a weekend trip where eating food will be the focus isn't exactly a major sacrifice for me!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/25 21:15:34 (permalink)
    Saturday August 23

Since my Roadfood loving cousin Johnny lives less than an hour away, it seemed natural to have him join us while we were in the area. He arrived at our hotel and we were soon on our way to the Florida Avenue Grill for breakfast.

Johnny and I have both been here only once before, in 2005. We enjoyed the experience and were looking forward to this meal. At first, we drove right past the place since it didn't look like I remembered. Actually the building itself was the same, it was what was next door that threw us off. What I thought used to be their parking lot, is now condos. In fact, it is built right next to the restaurant itself.

We parked on the street and went in. As you can see, this is no Johnny come lately to the DC eating scene.

Like many mid-Atlantic food places, it is decorated with dozens of autographed photos. In no way do I want to turn this into a political thread, but someone has a sense of humor to put late Senator Strom Thurmond next to the Reverend Al Sharpton!

I'm glad to see the two parties set differences aside and agree on good Roadfood!

As soon as we sat down, the extremely friendly waitress brought over a basket of warm, fresh biscuits and a bowl of sausage gravy.

Mariton and Emilou have never seen this before, but since we have a Kentucky born Southern grandma, Johnny and I are old pros. Johnny likes to tear his biscuit up into little chunks and then cover it with the gravy, while I eat mine like this.

The biscuits were excellent and this was a fine way to start our meal.

Emilou ordered the french toast, made with really good wheat bread.

I got the Virginia ham, with scrambled eggs and outstanding chunky homefries.

Mariton went with the smothered pork chops, with scrambled eggs and home fries.

Johnny also got the smothered pork chops, with fried eggs

and apples.

Channelling our buddy ChiTownDiner, Johnny ordered some terrific corned beef hash for our "fifth diner".

I had noticed a sign that said homemade peach cobbler, which is a particular favorite of ours, so we went ahead and ordered two of them.

Even though we thought this was too much bread and not enough peaches, it was still very enjoyable.

As in our previous visit, the service here was ultra friendly and mothering. I alone, was called baby and sweetie. When she saw me taking so many photographs, she admonished me for not taking a picture of her. So, we happily had her pose with Emilou.

A few minutes later, she came back with a man which she introduced as her husband, which meant another photo!

Aren't those great smiles? This is one of the friendliest restaurants I have ever been to!

Since Mariton asked for hot sauce for her eggs and potatoes, the waitress gave us two bottles of their own hot sauce for free, which was much appreciated.

I tried several times to set the two bottles of sauce together for a photo, but the one on the left kept sliding down the table, much to our amusement.

Even though the place was fairly empty when we arrived, just about every seat and booth were occupied by the time we left.

On the way out, Johnny and I posed with the bottles of hot sauce.

Although I wouldn't call the food here great, the food is still very good with about as authentic Roadfood atmosphere you can find anywhere! I really enjoy this place.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1404&RefID=1404

Much more to come.....
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 07:52:43 (permalink)
    BB - I knew this was going to be a good one...WOW! Nice job! Good to see cousin Johnny again. I typically like my eggs scrambled with the pork chops so I would have been leaning Mariton's way. Mariton's plate from the onions to the home fires and everything in between looks so good! My English Muffin with jam looks pretty dismal in comparison.

I like starting with the biscuits and gravy...were they "Southern Good"?

It's funny, last Saturday morning I thought I heard voices calling to me and I had a hankering for corned beef all day...go figure!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 08:25:17 (permalink)
    BB, Smothered Pork Chops for breakfast and hot sauce for the eggs and potatoes. Where did you find her?

I am reading all the posts(old and New) about DC with great interest. My daughter finished school in Pittsburgh and took a teaching job in the DC area. She is living in Alexandria. My wife handled the move from Pitt to DC. I have not been to the area yet.

I just hope DC can live up the the Roadfood standards of Pitt.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6244
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 08:30:14 (permalink)
    What breakfasts...wow....nice report...thanks so much!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 08:51:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

BB - It's funny, last Saturday morning I thought I heard voices calling to me and I had a hankering for corned beef all day...go figure!
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 09:17:09 (permalink)
    Another wonderful trip report with fabulous pictures....and I am so pleased to see you wearing your Crimson Tide tee shirt!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 09:31:09 (permalink)
    quote:

Nancypalooza-
    While I certainly appreciate what you said, taking my girlfriend on a weekend trip where eating food will be the focus isn't exactly a major sacrifice for me!

Oh yeah! Forgot who I was talking to there for a minute. :)

Those biscuits look great--did the gravy seem homemade? The smothered pork chops look incredible. Joerogo, maybe we should start a 'what's Mariton ordering?' fan group.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 09:40:35 (permalink)
    I'd be willing to start a "send your favorite college shirt to buffetbuster club", to get our colleges noticed everywhere! Go Gators!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 10:59:59 (permalink)
    BB - Younger son James was quick to point out - Hash Browns, a newer eatery (breakfast & lunch)in the old Maxwell Street area has a Maxwell Street Omlette with diced pork chops, Polish Sausage, onions and cheese. Mighty fine! We sampled it early on a cold January Sunday morning after the Cub's Convention this past year.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 11:51:13 (permalink)
    Great report and pics. thanks, I have to say I was suprised, I didn't think the Fla. Ave. grill was a "full sized" resturant, for some reason I thought it was just a little storefront kinda place.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 13:44:57 (permalink)
    Wow, that is great looking food! The Florida Ave. Grill looks like it would be a great place to have in your neighborhood.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 14:51:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

I'd be willing to start a "send your favorite college shirt to buffetbuster club", to get our colleges noticed everywhere! Go Gators!
    That sounds like a great idea! Does anyone remember the Ted Knight sitcom "Too Close for Comfort"? If I remember, he always wore college sweatshirts on the show. Apparently it took off, because people around the country would send him sweatshirts to wear. I specifically can recall him wearing Slippery Rock University on the show, since it is so close to my home.

As for the Gators, you guys have as good a chance of winning the national title as anyone this year. Would love to see a game in "The Swamp" someday.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 15:00:16 (permalink)
    CTD-
    That does sound like a really good omelette and is a combination I don't think I have ever seen anywhere before. If James recommends it, that is good enough for me!

kland01s-
    You have hit on one of the things that makes the Florida Avenue Grill special to me. Even though they have gotten national recognition and frequently have celebrities dine there (Janet Reno is a regular), it is still at heart the local diner.

exsquidao-
    The Florida Avenue Grill sure isn't big. Thirty people would probably have a hard time dining there at the same time.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/26 15:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

That sounds like a great idea! Does anyone remember the Ted Knight sitcom "Too Close for Comfort"? If I remember, he always wore college sweatshirts on the show. Apparently it took off, because people around the country would send him sweatshirts to wear. I specifically can recall him wearing Slippery Rock University on the show, since it is so close to my home.

As for the Gators, you guys have as good a chance of winning the national title as anyone this year. Would love to see a game in "The Swamp" someday.

You'd love it here, come get a great burger from "Copper Monkey", some awesome wings from "Gator City" or a HUGE pizza slice from "Italian Gator"(notice a "theme" here)literally a hole in the wall, all right across the street from the stadium. As with most college games it can get kind of crazy but for the most part things remain in control. Come for an evening game, people have been known to pass out from the heat. Well my offer stands to send out the first shirt! I too remember "Too Close For Comfort", he wore a W. Va. sweatshirt in one episode.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 06:33:10 (permalink)
    Rusty246-
    I genuinely appreciate your generous offer, but that won't be necessary. I already have so many college sweatshirts and t-shirts, my closet space is being severely tested. I have been to the University of Florida bookstore, but that was back when I was only a large and I have since eaten my way to a XXL.

Nancypalooza-
    The gravy was very much homemade. At first we didn't know what to make of it, due to its appearance. Because of the big chunks, it somewhat reminded me of cottage cheese.

But after one bite, we knew we were eating the real thing!

will_work_for_bbq-
    Especially after seeing a game in Tuscaloosa last year, very much a Alabama football fan here.....most of the time. This weekend is one of those times. They are playing my Clemson Tigers, so after Saturday, Roll Tide!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 07:09:50 (permalink)
    Saturday August 23
    Next stop, Georgetown University bookstore. Even though they are a big rival of my hometown Pitt Panthers in Big East basketball, I still wanted a sweatshirt. The campus itself was a madhouse, since it was move in day for the students. The line in the bookstore was long, but I did what I came for.

As for sightseeing in the DC area, I was in somewhat of a pickle. Since my girlfriend and her daughter used to live in the area, they had already visited all the big tourist sights. But, I did find one they hadn't been to before, the beautiful church on campus of Catholic University. It is formally called

According to my guidebook, it is the largest church (maybe it is just Catholic church) in the Americas and the eighth largest church in the world. And it is very impressive on the outside.

The inside was even more beautiful.

Everyone seemed to really enjoy this stunning building.

When I mentioned earlier in the day that we may go to Ben's Chili Bowl, Johnny said he saw on the local news that they were celebrating their 50th anniversary for the weekend. That clinched it, we had to go! Needless to say, for an event of this magnitude, the line was very long.

Despite the fact that they had to stand in a long line, weren't hungry and don't particularly care for hot dogs, Mariton and Emilou never complained, much to their credit! But, Johnny and I were ready to eat. Standing in the line did give me a chance to pose with the bear in front, though.

When we finally did get inside the door, it was a mob scene. There was one woman at the door, directing traffic and making sure everyone was in the right place. During down moments, she was dancing to the loud hip-hop music. On the way out, an elderly woman stopped to dance with her.

This really got the crowd going and added to the festive atmosphere. Mariton and Emilou grabbed a booth, while Johnny and I snaked our way through the ordering line. This gave me plenty of opportunities to take pictures of the inside.

There were easily 20 people working behind the counter, keeping us moving.

As I got closer, I was able to view all the cakes on display

and all the wonderful encased meats on the grill.

Here is what we ended up eating. I got a half smoke covered in chili,

while Johnny got his with cheese, too.

The single biggest hit at the table were the excellent chili cheese fries.

I also got a chili cheeseburger.

For dessert, Johnny got the caramel cake (sorry, the photo was too blurry) and I ate a fine piece of strawberry cake.

Milkshakes and bottles of water for everyone completed the meal. Even the hot dog frowners among us left the place satisfied!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1284&RefID=1284

We left Ben's Chili Bowl and headed for the Metro stop across the street.

More to come.....
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 07:39:07 (permalink)
    BB, awww man, you're killin' me! I haven't had breakfast yet and visions of smothered pork chops, home fries and half smokes are dancing in my head! You've got some great RF companions in Mariton, Emilou and Cousin Johnny! I wanna be you when I grow up!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 08:39:34 (permalink)
    He does have a good crew for this sort of thing. That is a beautiful church. I know I've heard the drill before, Cliff, but could you remind me what a half-smoke is exactly? And is there a full smoke?
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 11:41:23 (permalink)
    So glad to hear that you got to Ben's Chili Bowl and on the 50th anniversary too!! What a treat, although I know that it was truly a MOB scene. LOL I'll have to check out your pics tonight from home - the work computers won't let me see them now. Excellent report so far, and am looking forward to the rest.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Weekend in DC/No. Virginia 2008/08/27 12:45:52 (permalink)
    BB

I haven't been to the basilicain 10+ yrs, do they still offer a "guided tour" of the stained glass??

They used to have a docent that would guide a group around the basilica and explain the different scenes.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1