Weekend in Indy

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
deeoh01
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/09/29 15:16:51 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

I really thought that I was the only one completely underwhelmed by St. Elmo Steakhouse.  When I was in Indianapolis last fall, I was really looking forward to my visit there, and was pretty disappointed.  Since I really wanted a good steak, I dug myself a further hole by attempting the upscale Shula's Steakhouse inside my hotel.  Yeah, I know it's a chain - but, it met two of my rules - I had not been to one, and there is not one where I live.  Needless to say, I won't have to worry about going back a second time. 

Poor, poor steak-deprived Indianapolis.

There are plenty of places to get a great steak, but St. Elmo just isn't one of them.  Neither is Shula's.  Chains that are better than either one:  Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Capital Grille, Sullivan's, Flemings, Fogo de Chao.  Local places I'd go to before St. Elmo would be Mo's, Peterson's, Dunaway's or Broad Ripple Steakhouse.
rhomp2002
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/09/29 15:41:43 (permalink)
Speaking of upscale restaurants in Indianapolis, many years ago, probably about 1978 or so, my boss, his wife and I drove to a convention in Kansas City.  On the way we stopped in Indianapolis overnight and ate in a restaurant called Hugo's that was in the hotel where we stayed.  My buddy still claims that was the best meal he ever had in any restaurant.  He can still tell you every item he ate.  Have not been back to Indianapolis since so I don't know if it even exists any more but it was outstanding indeed.  Loved the town as well. 

I grew up in a small place in central Ohio not too far from Columbus and finished a contract in Cincinnati about 10 years ago before I retired and love that section of the country, especially Cincinnati.  Would move back there in a heartbeat from here in NYC.

My dad's family is from the corner of Ohio where Pennsylvania and West Virginia and Ohio all come together and I have family in all 3 states.  Love that area as well.  Just something about the people and how friendly and helpful they are.  Sure don't get that much here in the city.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/09/30 19:29:27 (permalink)
Ok,

You know me, I simply don't "get" the BBQ  and Deli thing  (in Indianapolis??)

However with those photos of the Fried Chicken at Hollyhock Hill, I really regret being too full to really enjoy my meal when I visited last year.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/10/04 13:55:24 (permalink)
I agree about St. Elmo's, the shrimp cocktail is to die for but the steaks are just so-so, definitely not worth the money.  Our 2 favorite & most consistant upscale steak restaurants in Indy are Peterson's & Sullivan's, both on the north side. 
Our other favorite steak place is Murphy's Steakhouse.  The steaks are not prime, but they hancut their steaks & I love the ribeye.  Their signature salad has a great hot bacon dressing & the side are consistantly tasty.   Great desserts at $5 each.  Most of the waitstaff has been there for years & you may be called "honey" or "sweetie".  Also, every week there are coupons in the local paper.

We both have a great steak meal at Murphy's with dessert & pay  less than 1 meal at one of the upscale places.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/10/05 08:38:48 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Ok,

You know me, I simply don't "get" the BBQ  and Deli thing  (in Indianapolis??)
Prepare to be disappointed in me again, because I will be back in Indy a month from now and I already know Shapiro's is on the agenda.

Train
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/10/25 19:18:37 (permalink)
Buffetbuster,
Next time you're in Indy, you might try Judge's Barbecue on the near-westside, whose ribs I find quite a bit better than King Ribs. Good sides too, especially the corn casserole. The trouble is they have really inconvenient hours: The only day they're open evenings is Friday, when they close at 8pm. Otherwise, they close at 4:00 and aren't open at all on the weekend. Anyway, if it happens to fit your schedule, they're at 2104 W Michigan Street. The phone is (317)631-0340. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/10/26 17:48:28 (permalink)
Train
Next time you're in Indy, you might try Judge's Barbecue on the near-westside, whose ribs I find quite a bit better than King Ribs. 
Quite a bit better?  Than King Ribs?  Wow!  This I gotta try!  Thanks for the tip.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Weekend in Indy 2009/10/26 19:18:15 (permalink)
Train

Buffetbuster,
Next time you're in Indy, you might try Judge's Barbecue on the near-westside, whose ribs I find quite a bit better than King Ribs. Good sides too, especially the corn casserole. The trouble is they have really inconvenient hours: The only day they're open evenings is Friday, when they close at 8pm. Otherwise, they close at 4:00 and aren't open at all on the weekend. Anyway, if it happens to fit your schedule, they're at 2104 W Michigan Street. The phone is (317)631-0340. 

Anyplace with hours like that has GOT to be good!
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1