Weekend in New York City

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2442
2007/10/16 00:45:34 (permalink)

Weekend in New York City

My mom and her fiancee came down to the city this weekend and my girlfriend and I decided to show them around. They took Amtrak down from Central NY and they said it was a really beautiful ride. I've done it many times and there are some great views of the small towns outside of the city. They grabbed a few dogs and a Pina Colada drink to wash them down at Papaya Dog in Penn Station and really liked them. I'm a fan of Gray's Papaya on 6th Ave and 10th Street myself. Sorry no food pics this time! We relaxed for a bit at the apartment and then went up to Harlem for dinner at the Dinosaur. Our friend waited on us and we chowed down on some Wango Tango wings to start. My girlfriend had the 2 meats platter with brisket and ribs and a side of mac-n-cheese. I had the Big Ass Pork Platter with BBQ Fried Rice, beans and roasted brussels sprouts with garlic. Mom and Harold shared the Sweetheart Deal for Two (a full rack of ribs and 4 sides-2 beans, french fries and Syracuse style salt potatoes)
I loved my pork plate as always: velvety soft with some bark-y pieces and good smoke flavor. They were out of sprouts, so they gave me cajun style sauteed corn which was spicy, buttery with red and green peppers in it. Mom and Harold loved their food and really went in for the salt potatoes. I tried some of the fries and they really do a good job with them here. My meal was capped of with the Red Sox going to town on the Tribe!
On Saturday, we walked around the South Street Seaport area and took a water taxi around the harbor. It's $20 for a 1 hour narrated tour that goes to Battery Park, around near Ground Zero and Jersey City as well as Ellis Island, Governor's Island, Red Hook, Brooklyn and under the Brooklyn Bridge. We all really enjoyed it especially from the top of the taxi. The Staten Island Ferry goes the same route for free, but it's not narrated and it's only a 20 minute ride. The Seaport area has really changed in the past couple of years. The old Fulton Fish Market is gone (it has since moved up to Hunt's Point in the Bronx to a state of the art facility). Ever since it left, condos have started going up, restaurants and shops have slowly been coming in. The city's first Kiwi bar, Nelson Blue is down there and has great food and drinks as well as a terrific ex-pat New Zealand crowd. We found some really nice holiday gifts for my niece at a new children's store across the street from Nelson and we had lunch at a sister restaurant, Stella Maris. Some excellent paninis and a potato and piquillo pepper frittata later, we went uptown to Times Square to see "The Drowsy Chaperone" on Broadway. This was their first Broadway show and we all loved it! The newspaper The Onion describes it as this: The Drowsy Chaperone begins with a man in a a chair (appropriately called "The Man In The Chair" in the program) dropping the needle on a recording of his favorite old-time musical-an action that magically transforms his living room into a stage for a lavish Broadway production about a man in a chair listening to a lavish Broadway production. Couldn't have said it better myself. Really funny and also touching at times. We scored a good deal on half price tix at the TKTS booth the day of the show.
We had dinner at Junior's in Times Square before the show. Mom had the shrimp salad which was huge and looked tasty. Harold had the steakburger. Dayna had the grilled chicken on challah and I had the hot covered turkey sandwich with fries and gravy.  They put a good dollop of cranberry sauce on the side and it was a perfect meal. Anyone that can do a good hot covered turkey is alright in my book! We finished off with a slice of pumpkin and a slice of blueberry cheesecake. I love the sponge base instead of graham cracker. The pumpkin had great texture but was somewhat lacking in pumpkin flavor. I wish they could have put some fall flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice) to bring out the pumpkin. All in all a good meal and a great time spent with people I care about.

Here are some pics I managed to take:

A shot of Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport from the Water Taxi. The restaurants at Pier 17 aren't much to write home about, but go a couple of blocks and there are some great places. They do have lots of concerts, dancing and events on the weekends during the summer and some really great views.

The robot man near the Seaport. I wonder how much he brings in each day? He had a pretty good gathering today.

The Water Taxi.

Passing under the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. I think Bruce and Sue reviewed it here. I think it's the best ice cream in NYC. Especially the peach!

An up close view of the Brooklyn Bridge.

We passed the Crown Princess cruise ship docked in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

A long shot of Lower Manhattan.

Lady Liberty.

The Staten Island Ferry.

Another shot of the Statue of Liberty.

A shot of the Tribeca area of Manhattan from the Hudson River.

A shot showing some NYC landmarks, left to right, The Empire State Building, The MetLife Building and the Chrysler Building.

Battery Park in Lower Manhattan. The southernmost tip of the island. They mentioned on the tour that the Bronx is the only one of the 5 boroughs that is connected to the continental U.S. by land. The rest are all islands. Four years here and I'm just learning that!

A long shot of the Brooklyn Bridge.

post edited by billyboy - 2010/06/18 15:37:46

3 Replies Related Threads

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Weekend in New York City 2007/10/16 01:09:50 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhhhhhh New York City.....no other city in the world like it .................... except for maybe, San Jose CA.

for the record Gray's Papaya is also my favorite NY hot-dog ............ and Rutt's in NJ

thanks for the report BillyBoy.................... good job
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Weekend in New York City 2007/10/16 01:22:17 (permalink)
    What a great time you had. Great report with wonderful pictures. Brought back a lot of memories for me.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Weekend in New York City 2007/10/16 02:00:05 (permalink)
    Great report!
    I can remember where the Battery is because of that great song from "On The Town"
    New York, New York, what a wonderful town;
    The Bronx is up and the Battery's down;
    The people ride in a hole in the ground.
    New York, New York
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1