The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend in Siouxland

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
buffetbuster

Weekend in Siouxland Tue, 05/29/07 3:08 PM (permalink)
I flew in and out of Omaha over the weekend and went as far north as Sioux Falls, SD. Here are the eating highlights:

* I had my first experience with Sour Cream Raisin pie at Crystal Cafe in South Sioux City, Nebraska. And it was fantastic! Not only that, it was as good looking a cream pie as I have ever seen. All pies should look this appetizing.

* The Coney Islands at Milwaukee Wiener House were excellent. I had two with mustard, onion and chili along with a fine cherry milkshake that came in a silver beaker. My favorite thing about the place, besides the nice conversation with the owner, was that they have a tribute on the wall to a mustard stick which retired after garnishing 10,000,000 hot dogs.

* Edgar's is an old fashioned soda fountain in the tiny town of Elk Point, SD. Besides being great to look at, they made me a terrific vertical banana split. They really do a great job of presentation here and they use Land 'O Lakes ice cream.

The owner told me something interesting while I was there. Apparently, before Blue Bunny opened their soda fountain in Le Mars, IA, they came to Edgar's to do research. Besides asking lots of questions, they even went as far as to measure the counter at Edgar's!

* I have only had loosemeats sandwiches in two places, but the one I had at Miles Inn in Sioux City was way better than at Maid-Rite in Newton. At the Miles Inn, though, it is called a "Charlie Boy".

* I hadn't been to The Bohemian Cafe since 2001 and it is still just as good. I got the Czech-style sauerbraten, the dumplings, the kraut and the liver dumpling soup....all of which were as good as I remember. And my favorite dish, the plum dumplings (which is listed as an entree, but I like for dessert) were especially good.

* I drove to Susie's Kitchen in Stanton, Iowa for breakfast. I went in and ordered the pancakes, thinking I would get the Swedish Pancakes like in the review. Unfortunately, regular pancakes came out. I asked my waitress to box the regular ones and make me an order of the Swedish pancakes. This time, Susie herself brought them out and said, "When I saw the book (Roadfood), I should have known you wanted the Swedish ones." They came with excellent homemade Lingonberry jam and Susie's own Swedish rye bread. When I told Susie how much I loved the bread, she gave me an entire loaf to take home! And despite my protests, she didn't charge me for the first set of pancakes. Really nice people at Susie's.

* My favorite place was the Tripp Sports Bowl Cafe in the tiny town (population 700) of Tripp, SD. Since they didn't recognize me (I don't think they get many outsiders), they asked where I was from. They were amazed someone from Pittsburgh was eating in their bowling alley cafe. I had a great time conversing with the husband and wife owners and she made me the famous Dakota Burger even though it wasn't on the menu or listed as a special. Junellia brought out the cookbook that Michael Stern send her along with some letters, which were carefully preserved like museum pieces.

After I got done eating, I got up and starting snapping some pictures, which amused the other customers. Several of them asked to see the Roadfood book review of the place and the book started getting passed around from table to table. I really enjoyed meeting all the nice people. By the way, the owners gave me a yellow Tripp Sports Bowl ice scraper shaped like the number one on the way out. The ice scraper says "Even Though There's Ice & Snow Tripp Sports Bowl is the Place to go."

The owners also mentioned to me that the nice older lady who really hit it off with the Sterns on their visit is still alive and living in the local retirement home.

Other notes:

* I stopped at Daily Grind in Sioux City, IA and had a delicious Peppermint Cafe Latte. But they don't seem to make the homemade cinnamon rolls like mentioned in the review. When I asked for a CR, they brought out this tiny looking muffin type thing. I told the girl, I didn't want that and she said that was all they had. I asked if they had anything homemade and she said only the muffins in the frig and they sure didn't look very enticing.

The place is still worth a stop, since it is also part bookstore and art gallery. And I also had fun for a few minutes working on the community jigsaw puzzle that was laid out.

* When I stopped at The Pantry in Yankton, SD, looking for the great muffins that were mentioned in the review, the owner said he has been feeling lazy lately and hasn't been making them. My advice would be to call ahead before stopping in, just to make sure they have them that day.

* When I walked in to Bob's in Sioux Falls, SD, I thought I would love the place. It really had the look of a classic Roadfood place. But, I didn't love it. And that was mostly due to the young guy behind the counter who had a bit of an attitude. I saw him being a jerk to customers and other employees. Still, the burger and fries I had were quite good. After the other customers left and he got in a better mood, he wanted me to try some of his homemade ice cream. Both the dulce leche and the vanilla were oustanding.

I did plenty of other non eating things like tour the Nebraska state capitol and visit museums, too.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 09/7/11 12:47 PM>

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
    RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 3:24 PM (permalink)
    Nice review, BB.

You bring up a great point about the conversation(s) with the locals. I always try to talk to them a bit, hopefully they will open up. The Midwest is a great place to do it, esp. in out-of-the-way places.

Thanks for the restaurant tips, I'll be up that way in July, looking forward to it!

DD

BTW, you mentioned you were snapping pictures.......

Sundancer7

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 3:48 PM (permalink)
      BB, very nice review. Sounds like you know how to handle food along with a little business. I have covered the same ground as you but I did not make the stops. You did much better.

You got to go out of your way to get to Yankton, SD

Paul E. Smith
      Koxville, TN

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 3:52 PM (permalink)
        desertdog-
        The funny thing is, I never go into these places intending to talk to the owners. But when you come in carrying the Roadfood book, more times than not, they come over and want to chat. They are understandably quite proud to be in a book like Roadfood. And conversing with the locals is a big part of the Roadfood experience.

I really try to just fit in, but in a place like Tripp, SD, where everyone knows everyone else, that is impossible for an out-of-towner. And then when I pull out my camera and start taking photos of the food......

I did take lots of really good photos, but unfortunately, I am computer illiterate and have no idea how to insert photos into a thread. Maybe I should have my brother, the computer guy in the family, show me how.

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 3:57 PM (permalink)
          Paul-
          And Tripp is even further off the beaten path than Yankton. What upsets me, is that I didn't realize just how close I was to the Corn Palace in Mitchell and didn't realize it. I have never been there and have always wanted to. Just plain poor planning on my part.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 4:43 PM (permalink)
            BB - Living high on the hog - great descriptions! Anybody to share your cobbler with?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 6:58 PM (permalink)
              Near Yankton S D is the little crossroads town of Tabor. Tabor has a Czech festival that rivals many much larger communities Ethnic festivals.

Great writeup BB.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 7:11 PM (permalink)
                bb, as I was reading through your post I kept thinking, "I hope we get to the part where he went to Bob's in Sioux Falls". Sorry your experience there was not as good as mine. The same young man behind the counter quickly lost his "attitude" when I said I was a Roadfooder and he whipped out a copy of the Stern's book where Bob's was reviewed.

Having spent much time recently in the Sioux City/Le Mars/Yankton/Sioux Falls area, I have been to every place you mentioned! Thanks for the great write up!

Sundancer7

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 05/29/07 7:14 PM (permalink)
                  Wasn't there a popcorn write up on roadfood located near Yankton?

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 05/30/07 3:28 PM (permalink)
                    Mr. Mayor-
                    While driving through Tabor, I saw the signs for the upcoming Czech festival. When I stopped at the SD information center, I picked up the brochure, with every intention of posting about it to let you know. I should have known you were already aware of it and have probably been there! The dates this year are June 14-16.

ChiTown Diner-
                    That is one of the bad things about traveling by yourself....you can only sample the stuff you order. Although, at Bohemian Cafe, I was mighty tempted to ask the people at the table next to me if I could sample their roast duck. They wouldn't have minded, would they?

Paul-
                    The popcorn write up near Yankton doesn't ring a bell with me. If you find anything, I would be very curious.

lleechef-
                    I'm not surprised to hear you received a little of the attitude when you went to Bob's, too. Looking back on it, I wish I had handled things differently. His very first comment to me made me defensive and I didn't enjoy myself as much as I should have. After the other customers had left, he became much nicer. He even had me sign a guestbook they have for all Roadfooders when they visit. I really could have handled the situation much better.

While visiting the Tripp Sports Bowl Cafe, the owner Junellia told me about another website they are mentioned on. Here it is:

http://turtleislandtravels.com/sportsbowlcafetrippsd.shtml

Sundancer7

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 05/30/07 5:27 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Sundancer7

Wasn't there a popcorn write up on roadfood located near Yankton?

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

I missed it. It was potato chips but I knew that the name rang a bell.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=673

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Thu, 05/31/07 3:56 PM (permalink)
                        Paul-
                        It looks like that review has been archived and the website doesn't seem to work. Makes me think they are no longer in business.

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Tue, 12/4/07 11:17 PM (permalink)
                          I hope everyone doesn't mind, but I was a little bored tonight. So I went back and added photos to one of my old trip reports, since I didn't know how to insert the photos as the time.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 12:16 AM (permalink)
                            Show me the Plum Dumplings......

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                              RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 3:22 AM (permalink)
                              I had never heard of sour cream raisin pie before Roadfood, but that looks might good!! I love that tribute to the retired mustard stick. Classic!! Great pics and report!

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 6:01 AM (permalink)
                                Mr. Mayor-
                                Here are the plum dumplings. I snapped so many photos of them trying to get a good one, I stood up over the table much to the amusement of my waitress and the others dining nearby. And still, this is the best of a bad lot. One of my all-time favorite dishes, though!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                  RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                  I was thinking how did I miss this the first time around. The pictures! Thanks Buffetbuster for the update. Sour cream raisin pie is the big seller in those parts. In my recent pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit through Iowa in October I stopped at the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, Iowa (Blizzardstormus' restaurant) sour cream raisin pie was the number one seller there. Blizzardstormus' mother made the pies fresh but admitted to me it was not her favorite. Nevertheless, I had one.

Every trip west that we make we usually go across South Dakota to the Black Hills first. As a matter of ceremony we take a quick side trip off the freeway and drive around the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. It changes every year. Then we head on to Wall Drug and get that free glass of water.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                    Davydd

I was thinking the same thing, Gee, I remember reading this before but with out photos....I didn't even look at the original post date.

I was thinking, gee the snow melted awfully fast up there. DUH

BB

I am glad you went back and added the pictures, the old saying stands true... a picture is worth a thousand words.

You could describe that sour cream raisin pie, but that picture..... HEAVENLY!

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                      The Corn Palace is worth a side-trip every time we pass thru also!! It is amazing what they do with Ag-products!

Thr fruit dumplings were a real Czech treat for us each year in SoCal. Mother would make them using Apricots off of our one Apricot tree. Melted butter and spooned on sugar made them a wonderful treat. I like the Plum also, but Cherry and Apricot are my favorites.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                        RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Excellent stuff BB! As always... many thanks.

Your first photo of pie reminded me of a book I loved that I have not seen mentioned around here (though I'm sure it must've been, I just haven't seen it).

It's called "American Pie" by Pasquale Le Draoulec [yes she is French, part of the plot... though it is non-fiction!]
                                        I don't promote any particular booksellers (I support independents) but the 1st link I found was B&N:
                                        http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=0060957328&itm=1

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Wed, 12/5/07 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm really glad I went back and added the photos.

That piece of sour cream raisin pie was my first experience with it and it was fantastic. I have ordered sour cream raisin a few other times while I was in the Midwest since, but none of the others have been nearly as good. I think I got lucky and had one of the greats on my first try.

I also ate a piece of chocolate cream pie at the Crystal Cafe, but it didn't look nearly as good or taste as good.

jwagnerdsm

• Total Posts: 89
                                            RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Sat, 12/29/07 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                            Nice report. I've done lots of eating in Iowa but I've never had the pancakes in Stanton. When the caucuses are over I hope to hit the road and finally update my website.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                              Nice review ... puts me in the mood for a dog ...

Being in Massachusetts, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. (Maybe Nick's?)

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
                                                RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                Skip the dogs, my son worked at a butcher shop during college. BUT, I would almost kill for a piece of the SCR pie!

Yum Yum

Da Judge

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                  RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  I missed this the first time around
                                                  Yess BB, you should have asked for a taste of the Duck. Just about the only place I ever order it is at the Bohemian Cafe. It's one of those places where my wife and I
                                                  always order different things so we get to sample twice the food

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    Bill Voss-
                                                    I wish I could go to the Bohemian Cafe with a big group of people, so I could try lots of different things. The plum dumplings are a must, but I just might go for that duck next time.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                                      • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by buffetbuster

Bill Voss-
                                                      I wish I could go to the Bohemian Cafe with a big group of people, so I could try lots of different things. The plum dumplings are a must, but I just might go for that duck next time.

Buffetbuster
                                                      I plan on heading back there next June possibly with the Travelin' Man in tow too.
                                                      Care to join me??

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        WanderingJew-
                                                        Interesting idea.....I think the three of us together could do some serious damage at Bohemian Cafe.

You are going to the College World Series right? I have always wanted to go there. Let me know the dates when you get a chance or we could talk about it in Boston.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                          • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                          RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

WanderingJew-
                                                          Interesting idea.....I think the three of us together could do some serious damage at Bohemian Cafe.

You are going to the College World Series right? I have always wanted to go there. Let me know the dates when you get a chance or we could talk about it in Boston.

It's my goal to be back there too, if you guys'll let me

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Weekend in NE/IA/SD Mon, 12/31/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

WanderingJew-

Absolutely,

We don't have specific dates set yet, I know that the dates we choose to go are going to have revolve around games scheduled for the Colorado Rockies, Albuquerque Isotopes and Salt Lake Bees. I already checked out the schedule for these 3 teams and they're going to work out perfectly. I know we're going to definetely hit Johnny's Cafe too while in Omaha, as I've never been there and I've never had a cheese frenchie before so Don and Millie's will be on my list too..
                                                            Oh, and we can also discuss if we'll let Bill Voss join us!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com