Weekend in South Carolina

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/03 08:34:18 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

She may have offered you some version of Southern or Yankee cornbread; the Yankee version has sugar in it, but most Southerners were raised on the baking-powder flavored thing that I imagine you had.   Looks like they used white cornmeal too.

I'm quoting myself here . . and that's weird . . but this popped up in my FB updates this morning and I thought I'd share a recipe for the Southern style non-sweetened variety of cornbread:

http://www.hoppinjohns.co...1103080227138088135149

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/03 10:21:37 (permalink)
Thanks, Nancy, for posting this recipe. It looks pretty simple, so maybe an inept bozo like me can make it without burning down the building... I just might give it a try. Besides, I've got two cans of Luck's pintos in the cupboard, and I sure can't let those go to waste.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/03 10:41:08 (permalink)
Nancy-
Needs more sugar!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/03 11:26:19 (permalink)
Incidentally, he's not just being a salesman about the corn meal--when you try artisan corn meals and grits compared to what's for sale in the grocery store, there's a huge difference in the way they taste.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/06 16:00:01 (permalink)
Peaches also make great gifts!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15238
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/06 17:31:45 (permalink)
 If you have ever seen the photos of the folks lining the tracks between L A and San Diego for the annual "Moon the Amtrak Trains Event", you will find a 'likeness" between those photos and the box of peaches Joe Posted.  I think it comes closest to the 'Merry Miss Pre-School participation in the Moon-The-Trains activity !!!
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2009/11/06 19:17:58 (permalink)
I was thinking something along those lines too.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/22 11:09:44 (permalink)
This past weekend, I flew in and out of Charlotte.  Butt But,

I spent most of the weekend in upstate South Carolina.

My first stop was Greer BBQ and Fine Foods

in Greer.  Don't let the fine foods name fool you, there is nothing upscale about this great little place.  I arrived around 9:30AM and asked if it was too early for bbq.  The nice lady told me they don't have bbq on Saturdays because they close at 11:00AM.  Wow, that really is limited hours!  So, I ordered a ham biscuit and she asked if I wanted country ham or city ham.  Please!  I may be a yankee, but I'm no rube..... country ham, of course.  Since that didn't seem to be very much food, I also tacked on a baloney biscuit.  Or is that bloney?

She told me to sit down and they would bring it out.  On either side of the counter are seating areas with hard plastic booths.  The one side was full of locals all gabbing with each other, so I sat on the other side.  A little bit of time was killed taking some photos of their porcine decorations

and five minutes later, I was delivered my food.  The baloney,

full of wonderful piggy flavor, was big enough that part of it was hanging out one side of the biscuit.  The country ham

was not quite as big, but this chewy, salty and powerful slice of meat was outstanding.  And the biscuits, though they look like they might be hard and crunchy, were still very soft and fluffy.  The fact that they were hot enough, they probably came straight from the oven, certainly helped.

There was a steady stream of customers, all of whom seemed to know each other.  This is definitely where the locals eat.  And for convenience sake, they even have a drive-thru.

There is a lot to like about Greer BBQ and Fine Foods and I'm looking forward to coming back during the week so I can try some of that bbq. 

Greer BBQ and Fine Foods
602 N. Main Street
Greer, SC
864-879-8466 

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/144-144/greer-bbq-and-fine-foods
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/03/22 11:13:05
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/22 16:35:38 (permalink)
It's the little tiny tail on the peach that bothers me most.  ;)
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/22 16:46:57 (permalink)
Just a few doses of Preparation H  would take care of the problem.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/22 21:02:08 (permalink)
/high fives Greymo
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 13:15:41 (permalink)
Having read about the pimento cheeseburgers they serve at Northgate Soda Shop

in the lovely city of Greenville, that was my next stop.  The inside

is full of knick-knacks, collectables, bottles, vintage signs (got to love the Ex-Lax sign), church fans, etc.  Every square inch seems to be covered by something interesting to look at.  They do have several tables and that is where most of the customers dined.  But, of course, I sat at the counter. 

Notice how there are little tags or nameplates on the counter in front of every seat?  I asked and the waitress told me that it was to honor some of their favorite customers who had passed away.  Nice touch!  I sat at Buzz Reese's seat.  The seat next to me had an Elvis Presley name plate,

but I'm thinking The King wasn't a regular.

They do have a full roster

of lunch counter classics here, but the pimento cheeseburger is what puts this place on the map.  I could have ordered a burger by itself, but went with the plate, which means cole slaw and onion rings (or fries) come with it.  Ten minutes after placing my order, this was set down in front of me. 

At first glance, I was disappointed to see so little of the pimento cheese on the burger.  But, when I turned it around to take a photo of the other side,

there was so much pimento cheese, it was spilling out!  The burger is made from fresh ground beef and the cheese is a cool and smooth combination of pimento, cheddar and mayo.  Delicious!  Because there was so much of the cheese on one side, I was forced to do a maneuver where I would take a small bite of each side to get the proper cheese to beef ratio.  There was undoubtedly easier ways to accomplish this, but it was fun for me.

The cole slaw was creamy, though I had the feeling it was store bought.  The onion rings were fine, but nothing special.  To drink, a cherry smash,

with syrup made in house!

Northgate Soda Shop
918 N. Main Street
Greenville, SC
864-235-6770
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/03/24 13:20:11
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 13:52:07 (permalink)
Even though I did not attend Clemson University, I have long been a big fan.  Especially the sports teams.  For about a decade, I even had football season tickets, so I got to know the area fairly well.  Since I gave the tickets up, it has been a good five years or so since I have been back.  My plan was to spend a good portion of the day in Clemson.

One of the things I was most looking forward to was the incredible peach ice cream that is made by the school's agriculture department.  Unfortunately, in an epic failure to properly plan on my part, the university was on Spring Break and the ice cream store was closed.  Somewhere, Travelin Man is smiling! 

Also on my list of things to do was attend a Clemson baseball game.  Because of the expected rain on Sunday, they moved that game to Saturday afternoon, so I enjoyed a few hours out in the sun, watching baseball. 

What could be better than that?  Oh yeah, eating peach ice cream!  For ten bucks, I sat just a few rows from the field

and got to watch a Tiger victory over the Hokies from Virginia Tech.  Particularly worth watching is star player Kyle Parker, who sure looks like a future major leaguer to me.  Considering he is also the quarterback for the football team, he is going to have a decision to make soon over which sport he is going to pursue.  Here he is

rounding third after crushing a home run. 

After the game, I took a little bit of time to walk around the beautiful campus.  Here is one of the campus landmarks, Tillman Hall. 

Note the purple and orange (which is Clemson's colors) flowers planted in front.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 16:04:04 (permalink)
In all the visits to this area, I had never made it to Skin Thrasher's, the popular small hot dog chain in the area.  Even though they have a location in Clemson, the decision was made to visit the original one in Anderson.  As for Anderson.....yikes!  This was my first time here and, well, there isn't that much going on. 

Skin Thrasher's

is famous for being hard to find, but my GPS took me straight there.  Located in a residential neighborhood, this was a strange place for a destination hot dog restaurant.  There are tables on the side and in the back, but as always, the action is at the counter. 

As soon as I walked in, the teenage girl asked for my order.  Since it was my first time here, I told her I needed to check out the menu board. 

Not remembering what type of hot dog they specialize in, I asked if they serve slaw dogs.  She told me they do have cole slaw as a topping, but most people order them "all the way", which is chili, mustard and onion.  I asked for two and a minute later, I had these 

beauties delivered to me.  The chili is what I would call a dry chili and has a pebbly consistency.  No heat to it, but still has good flavor.  The onions seemed particularly strong to me.  And I am a fan of soft, split top buns anytime, anywhere.

The young lady asked if I wanted some chips and I said no.  Then she said, "How about homemade cole slaw?"  The answer to that was a definite yes! 

It came in a small container, finely diced and was especially fresh and mayo-ey (is that a word?)  To drink, all they had were bottles out of the cooler.

The hot dogs sure do seem popular.  There was a couple who took advantage of the beautiful weather and drove up from Georgia on their motorcycles.  A constant stream of customers were stopping in and ordering them a dozen at a time.  But my favorite fellow customers were an elderly couple who split 3 hot dogs, with onion only and asked if the one hot dog could be cut in half.  When the gentleman saw me listening in, he smiled and told me, "One isn't enough and two is too many!"  The wife then added mustard to her hot dog and a half, while he added ketchup to his.  

Despite the fact that they do sell beer here, they make it very plain that this is a restaurant first and not a bar.  There are several signs that say things like, the language you use at church is good enough for here or like this one.

And the original owner, nicknamed Skin, still keeps an eye

on the place, even though he has passed on.

The people who work here were very nice and patiently answered all of my usual questions.  Apparently, the place started out as a pool hall and Willie Mosconi himself was known to play in the back room.  As for the unusual 6:50 closing time, no explanation.  That's just the way it has always been.

Skin Thrasher's
203 Hudgens Street
Anderson, SC
864-225-9229

[link=http://www.skinshotdogs.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/b%3E]http://www.skinshotdogs.c...%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/b%3E[/link]
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/03/24 16:10:47
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 16:14:27 (permalink)
It looks like you went two for two with the pimento burger and the hot dogs!
Lisajo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 17:02:08 (permalink)
Northgate Soda Shop is close to my house, so we are going to have to stop in there for sure!  Back before GPS, Skins was VERY hard to locate for a non-local, but worth the search.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 17:08:12 (permalink)
buffetbuster, Enjoying the report.  Just one question.  Did Carolina Bob help post the chili dog picture for you?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/24 17:28:14 (permalink)
Lisajo-
So, have you not been to Northgate Soda Shop before?  If you go, please report back how it was.

JoeRogo-
Troublemaker!
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 09:29:51 (permalink)
I've STILL never tried pimento cheese It is SO on my list... Why oh Why didn't you get a " Hotdog in a cup " while at Skin's? Sounds too goofy to NOT get one...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 09:32:17 (permalink)
AHI MPLS-
You know, I meant to ask them about the hot dog in a cup and never did.  If nothing else, it would have made a great photo!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 09:50:12 (permalink)
My guess would be that it is a chopped hot dog for feeding to toddlers.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 10:23:54 (permalink)
BB, I'm a little embarrassed that you spend more quality time in my home state than I do!  But man, do you flush out some winners!  How about writing some short reviews?  We need to get these places on the site -- and you certainly have the means...  Chris
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 17:18:38 (permalink)
Thanks Chris!  It is probably fairly obvious that South Carolina is one of my favorite states. 

I definitely plan on writing a review for Northgate Soda Shop and possibly Skin Thrasher's and Tony's Ice Cream in Gastonia.  We'll see how motivated I am.  Upstate SC is without a doubt, underrepresented in the reviews. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/03/25 17:21:11
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 18:57:27 (permalink)
Lord have mercy, this is a great thread...thanks for the
great pics too.

I know you've done you're research if you've
gone to Skin Thrashers.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/03/25 22:30:36 (permalink)
Captain Morgan

Lord have mercy, this is a great thread...thanks for the
great pics too.

I know you've done you're research if you've
gone to Skin Thrashers.
Thanks for the compliment!  As for Skin Thrasher's, give Jane and Michael Stern credit, since it appears in a previous Roadfood book. 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/04/06 16:28:26 (permalink)
After checking into my hotel in Greenville and relaxing for a few hours, I put on some nicer clothes (more like business casual) and drove to Charlie's Steakhouse

Located in the heart of downtown Greenville, this place has been around since 1921.  Back when I had Clemson football season tickets, I would always include a trip to Charlie's as part of the weekend.

Since it was already 9:00PM, the restaurant was only around 1/3 full. 

I recognized the woman who sat me as the owner, the granddaughter of the original owner, Charlie Efstration.  On one side of me were two couples, with the men wearing suits.  On the other side of me was a couple where the man was wearing bib overalls.  Charlie's is that kind of place.

The menu is heavy and leather bound. 

While they offer plenty of seafood and chicken, it would be a shame to come here and not get a steak.  If your eyes are good,

you can read why Charlie's says their steaks are unequaled.

I placed my order and quickly received my salad.  Though you can get the standard dinner salad, there is a much more interesting choice.  You get a bowl of just cabbage and a salad dressing carousel,

so that you can add as much as you want.  And the salad dressings here are spectacular!  The three dressings are Thousand Island, Bleu Cheese and Parmesan Peppercorn.  All are homemade and are equally so good, I could never make my mind up which is best.  So, I was constantly glopping on the cabbage as much as possible.

My steak was the 9oz. filet. 

This was a well above average, lean, beefy cut of meat.  Sorry for the poor photos, it really was better than it looks.  On the side, you can get half french fries and half onion rings

for a small extra charge and this is definitely the way to go.  Both are quite good when dragged through the steak juice, but the wispy, just greasy enough onion rings are especially excellent.

While finishing up my dinner, I became the last customer still dining.  The owner had noticed me taking some photos and we started chatting.  She was happy to hear how much I enjoyed my dinner and that I was once a frequent customer who hadn't been there in years.  Before I left, I asked if she had a paper menu I could take, since I collect them from all the places I visit.  She said she had something even better.  She went into the back and came out with two packs of matches

that looked really old.  Then she told me the story of how Charlie himself placed a large order for matches back in the 1940s and there was so many of them, they lasted for 40+ years.  They did set one box of them aside and I was quite happy to receive these nice Roadfood keepsakes.  That was very kind of her!

By the way, I had excellent service from a young man, who she identified as her son.  Glad to see the fourth generation working here and Charlie's seems to be in good hands!

Charlie's Steakhouse
18 East Coffee Street
Greenville, SC
864-232-9541

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/140-5666/charlies-steakhouse

post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/06 16:31:20
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15238
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/04/06 17:37:21 (permalink)
Another winning chapter in the continuing Saga of BB, the RF Pacesetter! 
post edited by mayor al - 2010/04/06 17:38:41
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/04/06 17:58:47 (permalink)
Eeeeee!  Charlie's is one of our very favorite places.  I've been known to finish my salad--adding at least two of the dressings in turn--and then put some on my plate to dip the crackers from the basket into, until Julie swats my hand.  :)  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/04/06 20:52:45 (permalink)
Nancy-
Charlie's really is a gem.  I think we could walk into the place 50 years from now and it would still be exactly the same.  And those salad dressings! 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5034
Re:Weekend in South Carolina 2010/04/07 08:50:20 (permalink)
I like the looks of those onion rings...maybe fry them just a bit more as I like my rings well done but the fact that they're not coated with tons of batter or breading is a definite plus!

Is there an old-style phone number (ala National 2-9000) on the matchbooks?

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/04/07 12:14:00
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1