The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend in Syracuse

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
Weekend in Syracuse Mon, 05/3/10 8:29 PM (permalink)
My son, grandson, and I spent a great weekend  in Syracuse.  We met our host and hostess (daughter and son in law) at Aunt Josie's Restaurant where we all had a great dinner.  Aunt Josie's Italian Restaurant   I had the  baked haddock with  lemon and butter and it was  outstanding..........as  was the  side  of  homemade noodles and sauce.  My son in law had the baked  ziti  (huge  portion)  My son  had the veal  Parmesan    and  daughter and  grandson  shared  a pizza.  We ordered  some meatballs for the table  to  try them out.  They had just won the award for the  best meatballs in  Syracuse.  They  were fine  but  could not compare with mine.  It  was a nice  evening.

The next day  was  "A day out  for  Mom and daughter".  We  started out  in a big way  with   chocolate milk  and  a coney  at Heid's  stand in Liverpool.............the breakfast of kings! Heids of Liverpool

We went shopping  and had  lunch at  2  at  Dinosaur  barbeque.  Wow  what a lunch  .   We shared an order of the very best  fried    green tomatoes  that I have ever had.  They were delicious  as was the sauce.  they are describe on the menu as Crispy fried, sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese and
served with a cayenne buttermilk ranch dressing      The cheese was freshly shredded and this was a real  stand-out.    My daughter ordered the "original  pulled pork sandwich"                                                         and  I  went for the  Pork Sket which consisted of Texas beef brisket with  pulled pork,  jalapeno peppers,  cheese  and topped with coleslaw..  This had to rank up there with  the  top messiest sandwich which I  have  ever attempted to eat  (the other  being  a Beanie Burger. from Gahanna Grill in Ohio so  asked for a fork.  Our  server  laughingly  told  me   that  "we  eat with  our fingers here".  The meat in the sandwich was  outstanding  and  "melt in your  mouth".

Daughter was going to  grill steaks at home that evening  but  we went off to their neighborhood  hang-out  to  watch the Kentucky  Derby. Hullar's Restaurant Fayetteville New York We ended up by  staying there  and  having  dinner at the bar.  I had  the  Hullar burger.  It was cooked the way that I wanted it  and  the  fries  were  excellent.

It was a fun Roadfood weekend!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
    Re:Weekend in Syracuse Mon, 05/3/10 9:12 PM (permalink)
    I'm gonna have to taste your meatballs.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      Re:Weekend in Syracuse Mon, 05/3/10 9:28 PM (permalink)
      Nice report, greymo.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
        Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 4:36 PM (permalink)
        Michael you do know how to talk to the ladies.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
          Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 5:17 PM (permalink)
          I went to Aunt Josie, a favorite of mine since childhood, last Fall.

Aunt Josie was most known for her sauces and meatballs. When Aunt Josie was alive, she'd be back there at the sauce pot (which was huge) seemeingly non-stop, and handmade all her meatballs.

When Aunt Josie died, the family kept up the tradition for along time. The meatballs were out of this world.

On my last visit, I was secretly disappointed with the meatballs. It was devasting to even think. And, I too saw the meatball award, which I can only suspect is based on tradition rather than current substance. (You know how those voting things work - people vote and they haven't even been out to eat there, or elsewhere - they just vote on past experience, rather than recent).

I believe it was sonjaab who informed me that the restaurant has new owners, and that explained it all. I taste the difference. I'm sad that my old favorite is no longer so.

Next time you go to Syracuse, I'll rattle off some of the current tops for Italian, including meatballs, and your faith in the meatball in Italian heavy Syracuse should be fully restored.

You made no mention of your thoughts on Heid's. I grew up on franks and coneys from Heid's. I could bike there from my house. But,as with many a hot dog, personal tastes often come from what one grew up on. So, I love them The coney the most (also called a white snappy - or white hot). My wife is a Hofmann Frank fan, and I the Coney. But, I know that the frank (the regular hotdog) may seem baloney like to some. But, one also has to keep in mind that these are german franks, rather than other types - and german franks tend to be milder. 

Still, opinion on Hofmann's and the venerable Heid's?

So glad to hear the Dino lived up. It's amazing that real BBQ exists in Upstate, NY - if only at one place. Still, the uniqueness of having a real BBQ joint is not under-appreciated by locals. When that place opened it was clear that I hadn't really had BBQ in my life, until the Dino opened.

I often forget about Hullar's. Probably because I grew up across town in Liverpool. But my Fayetteville friends have dragged me there for some late night brew and grub, and I'm always pleased. Hullar's is to to Fayetteville, what the Retreat is to Liverpool. Hullar's has a longer history, but The Retreat has better food. Of course, as a Liverpudlian, I prefer The Retreat, but then I also prefer Warriors to Hornets (a high school mascot reference).

Thanks for the review!

Greymo

Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
            Aunt Josie's does not have new owners.  Someone is mistaken.  They did sell their ice cream place next door which the bartender tells me  was  bought by  someone connected to the family.  Ownership HAS NOT  changed!

The homemade noodles and sauce was outstanding  as well as their house dressing.  Wish that we had a place as good as that  in Little It aly.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 5:57 PM (permalink)
              good report Greymo.
              bring a camera with you sometime

Greymo

Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 6:02 PM (permalink)
                I am one of those weird  people  who  does not  like taking pictures in restaurants  as it  makes too many  people uncomfortable.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                  Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 7:33 PM (permalink)
                  Nancypalooza

Michael you do know how to talk to the ladies.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                    Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 10:23 PM (permalink)
                    It is a family tradition to go to Heids after driving thru Lights on the Lakes. Always delicious and satisfying, still the best hot dogs in Syracuse are at liehs and steigerwalds on grant blvd. You have to cook them yourself tho!

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                      Re:Weekend in Syracuse Wed, 05/5/10 10:29 PM (permalink)
                      PS. IF you can't get into the Dinosaur because of the crowds, limp lizards at 4628 onondaga blvd is a worthy challenger

Scorereader

Re:Weekend in Syracuse Thu, 05/6/10 9:33 AM (permalink)
                        Greymo

Aunt Josie's does not have new owners.  Someone is mistaken.  They did sell their ice cream place next door which the bartender tells me  was  bought by  someone connected to the family.  Ownership HAS NOT  changed!

The homemade noodles and sauce was outstanding  as well as their house dressing.  Wish that we had a place as good as that  in Little It aly.

Well, no matter. The meatballs I had last Fall couldn't hold a torch to the ones of the past - even a few years ago.

In any event, after eating there, I know there are better Italian restaurants in Syracuse. It pains me so say that, however, because for most of my life Aunt Josie's was my favorite. Dominick's comes to mind, on Burnet Ave.

And, I always forget to mention Twin Trees Too (which is the 2nd location of a family owned operation, but my favorite). The Italian food there is great, but their pizza is the draw. I can't explain it. It's definately not NY style or Chicago. It is its own thing - unique. I so often overlook it, but it's as much of a Syracuse tradition as any other place anyone can mention. So, next time you're up there, give it a try.

Scorereader

Re:Weekend in Syracuse Thu, 05/6/10 10:18 AM (permalink)
                          ynotryme

It is a family tradition to go to Heids after driving thru Lights on the Lakes. Always delicious and satisfying, still the best hot dogs in Syracuse are at liehs and steigerwalds on grant blvd. You have to cook them yourself tho!

There's a new 2nd location on Route 31 across from Great Northern Mall - a nice 2nd store. I love their meats!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com