Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2715
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/12 19:47:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster -

I stopped and grabbed a Big Penny and a Hot Chocolate Malt tonight for my drive home.

The lady serving me looked like she might be Trish, so I asked her if she had ever seen the pictures of The Penguin that my friend from Pittsburgh put up on the Net.  She had kind of a blank look, but within a minute of me explaining she asked if you were there on a really snowy day.  Then it all came back to her.  You made quite an impression.

I'm hoping that Trish can find this thread with the instructions I wrote down for finding it.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2009/11/12 20:18:06
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/12 20:53:49 (permalink)
JRPfeff

buffetbuster -

I stopped and grabbed a Big Penny and a Hot Chocolate Malt tonight for my drive home.

The lady serving me looked like she might be Trish, so I asked her if she had ever seen the pictures of The Penguin that my friend from Pittsburgh put up on the Net.  She had kind of a blank look, but within a minute of me explaining she asked if you were there on a really snowy day.  Then it all came back to her.  You made quite an impression.

I'm hoping that Trish can find this thread with the instructions I wrote down for finding it.

Jim

Jim, thanks for bringing this thread back up.  Now I am homesick!!!!  I grew up in Oconomowoc and built a house in the town of Merton by Lake Keesus about 14 years years ago before all of Milwaukee realized the lake country was a great place to live.

BB,

You hit some great places.  I remember most very fondly.  I have some incredible sausage houses and cheese places you could go to if in the area again.  Most sausage places are the type though where you grab and go and then cook at home.  Cheese factories let you sample there.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10412
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 08:00:40 (permalink)
JRPfeff-
Thanks for letting me know about you stopping in at The Penguin.  First of all, how was the Big Penny and the hot chocolate malt?  Was it actually hot?  I am surprised she remembered me, since that was quite a while ago.  I hope she can find the photos and report and that business is doing well.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 08:25:27 (permalink)
Cliff,

The Big Penny was great, as usual.  It was even on special, with fries & drink for $6.  Unfortunately, I forgot to add cheese, which happens every time I go there, but I usually catch before my burger is served.  Trish and her staff should learn to push the cheese, since it does not come standard.

By the time I ate my malt there was no evidence of the 'hot' in hot chocolate.  But it was really, really good.  The combination of the malt and chocolate flavors was perfect, and it was rich & thick.

There seemed to be a few regulars eating at the horseshoe counter and other people were arriving when I left.  This certainly isn't fast food, but it was worth the extra 10 minutes it took instead of going through a Mc-drive-thru.

Jim
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 08:31:47 (permalink)
buffetbuster -

Don't underestimate your recognizability.  Not too many folks take an interest in a business like you did, or parade around a restaurant with camera in hand like that.  She still remembers you going out into the snow to get the exterior shots.

Jim
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 08:49:22 (permalink)
JRPfeff 
This certainly isn't fast food, but it was worth the extra 10 minutes it took instead of going through a Mc-drive-thru. 
Amen to that, my friend!  Glad to hear the food was good and they seem to be doing well. 

So, what you are saying is that I am the only one dumb enough to go outside in a blizzard and take photos of a restaurant?

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 08:51:07 (permalink)
She would have remembered Bob or Gregg, too.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/11/13 12:03:44 (permalink)
LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLL 
post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/11/13 12:05:09
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/02 11:20:37 (permalink)
I know earlier in the report someone said there was a face in the cookie. But there is definitely one (and not too happy about being eaten apparently) in the mocha chip cone from Kopp's!!! That would be an interesting thread. Strange or unexplained things found in trip report photos.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/02 13:24:16 (permalink)
Which one, the oatmeal raisin or the chocolate peanut butter?
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/02 15:17:28 (permalink)
nocarolina when I grow up, I wanna be Buffetbuster!!
Doesn't sound to me like he grew up. Of course, that's a good goal in and of itself.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/02 15:39:58 (permalink)
wanderingjew Like This???

More like this www.sewinggoddess.com/.../Shrek09big.jpg

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/28 16:13:14 (permalink)
Can anyone explain to me why I always go to Wisconsin in Winter time?

Anyway, I recently flew in and out of Milwaukee.  My plane left Pittsburgh at 6:00AM Saturday morning and since there was more snow here than in Milwaukee, the drive to the airport was a bit of an adventure.  But I arrived safely and was on the ground and in my car by 6:45AM.  I pointed my car south and headed for Racine, a.k.a. Kringleville.

The first kringle stop was at Bendtsen's Bakery,

my long time favorite.  When you walk in, all the cases to the left have donuts, cookies, cupcakes, etc.  I have tried a couple of items here and there and they have all been fine.  But all the cases on the right are for kringles and that is the reason to visit.  Here is one of those cases.

Besides the ones sitting out, they have other flavors

available everyday.

After a quick debate, I settled on one apricot and one pecan.  Here is what they look like in their wrappers.

And here is the apricot,

with a quarter in the center to show just how big these are.  From my past visits here, I know that the kringles here are especially buttery and flaky and WILL leave a mess in your car.

I tossed them in the car and headed off for another kringle destination, O & H Danish Bakery

Usually, I just walk across the street from Bendtsen's and hit Larsen's, but I have never been to O & H before and have always wanted to try it.

The first thing that struck me about O & H was how much bigger they are than the other two places.  Besides the bakery, they are also part gift shop and convenience store.  They were also much busier than Bendtsen's, too.  I saw this woman

buying the kringles in two big box fulls.  And while I was still deciding, another woman

had FIVE boxes full of kringles (three are already been checked out).  There are some serious kringle parties going on around here!

Instead of having them in glass cases, they have them in an easy access display. 

They seemed to have just about the same flavors, though being a mint lover, I could not resist that peppermint chocolate was their flavor of the month.  Here it is in the wrapper

and unsheathed.

BTW, a lot of the chocolate stuck to the top wrapper, which is why it doesn't look as good as it should.

Okay, true confession time.....  I haven't even eaten these kringles yet.  I brought them home to share with the girls in the office, but we were bombarded with so much sweets around here already, I took them home and froze them.  The plan was to bring them out when family was visiting for Christmas.  But there was so many cookies, cakes and pies already, I just kept them in the freezer.  And they do freeze very well.  Maybe in a week or so, I will pull them out and let you know know how they were.

Bendtsen's Bakery
3200 Washington Avenue
Racine, WI
262-633-0365

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/373-373/bendtsens-bakery

O & H Danish Bakery
4006 Durand Avenue
Racine, WI
262-554-1311

http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/
stricken_detective
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/28 17:48:49 (permalink)
O&H has a far superior product, IMHO.

One of these days you are going to take a Monday or Friday off & make it to Nite Owl, I just know it!!!!
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/28 18:27:56 (permalink)
Dang!!!! I want to know those women What was the date of this? Was it just prior to Thanksgiving....or around Christmas party time?

Let us know which you enjoy more once you break them out of the freezer!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/28 18:36:08 (permalink)
bb, back in March of '08 a big chunk of The Contingent went on a kringle hunt, hitting all the spots you mention in your post.  We all brought home stacks of kringles (those that were not consumed on the trunk of my car) and I gotta tell ya, I didn't find a bad one in the bunch.  I know that "who makes the best kringle" is a hotly debated subject in and around Racine.  As far as I'm concerned, I am happy with any kringle I can sink my teeth into.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 08:24:16 (permalink)
Buddy-
Like you, I have yet to meet a kringle I haven't liked.

s_d-
Nite Owl?  Never heard of the place!

Among my plans was to take a photo of Nite Owl, all dark and covered in snow for the Winter, to use in my trip report.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop in.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2991
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 10:37:52 (permalink)
While gently sleeping off a food induced coma, buffetbuster was implanted with a small microscopic chip which alerts Nite Owl to automatically close when he gets within 200 yards!

I find the kringles taste much more similar than say burgers from three different places.  That said, I like them all!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 10:41:03 (permalink)
CTD-
Well, that explains why the beepers always go off when I walk through a metal detector!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 10:50:08 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

While gently sleeping off a food induced coma, buffetbuster was implanted with a small microscopic chip which alerts Nite Owl to automatically close when he gets within 200 yards!

BB needs to find his own schtick. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 11:20:43 (permalink)
After leaving Racine, I headed west through the backroads to reach the town of Mukwonago and one of the best places in the country for pie, the Elegant Farmer.  I wrote about this place previously, so pardon me if I repeat myself.

Love the big smiley barn

and that you have to enter the building through a silo.

Besides the famous pies baked in a bag, they have lots of other things to offer.  A great selection of meats,

including some yummy snacks

for the road.  Jams, jellies, relishes, pickles, etc.,

much of which carries the Elegant Farmer name.  And with this being Wisconsin, plenty of cheese and cheese curds.

And for those who have to eat on the go, box lunches.

But of course, I was here for the pie.  What makes this place special is their method of baking the pies in paper bags, which strikes me as strange, but obviously is very successful.  The apple pie is best known and I've had it before, so I know how good it is.  I gave thoughts to getting something else, but that is the only type of pie they sell by the single slice.  So, I ended up with this.

The crust is extra heavy and rugged, while the apple part is just sweet enough.  As the Sterns say in their review, it is perfect pie!  Note to apple pie lover Travelin Man....  you need to get here.  Now!

One piece of pie is never enough, so I went back up to choose another flavor.  Berried treasure

is the current featured pie, but I eschewed that for a 4" peach apple pie. 

I warmed it up in my hotel microwave the next morning and it was pretty sensational, too.

Elegant Farmer
1545 Main Street
Mukwonago, WI
262-363-6770

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/619-619/elegant-farmer
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/12/29 11:22:36
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 12:00:41 (permalink)
Cliff, I visited the Elegant Farmer for the first, but certainly not last, time this past summer, and I fell in love with the place. This is some great apple pie ( Travelin Man, they're playing your song! ) What really added to my very enjoyable visit was arriving at the EF in a 1920s-era Chicago elevated train, courtesy of the East Troy Trolley Museum.  
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 15:04:34 (permalink)
Elegant Farmer is one of our favorite trips with or without the trolley added on...
I love the smiley barn too.
And if we can't make it all the way to Mukwanago,
sometimes we get our apple pie fix at the Mars Cheese Castle, which carries their pies as well.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/29 23:35:44 (permalink)
I'm contractually supposed to scoff at all things Sconnie but one of these days I'm gonna have to slip away and get me some kringle.  It just looks insanely good.  And those pies look pretty damn good too.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 08:35:45 (permalink)
Those pies are the best...THE BEST!  the combinations of berries, peaches, apples etc and crumb toppings, WOW! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 10:42:54 (permalink)
Continuing further west, I was ready for my first full meal of the day, when I got off I-94 in the small town of Johnson Creek.  My destination was the Roadfood reviewed The Pine Cone,

a restaurant part of a large truck stop.  Like the review says, this place was very crowded.  This has at least partially to due with it's location next to the outlets directly behind it.

As you walk in, the coffee shop area is to the left, while the more family dining room feel is to the right.  No matter what, you will notice the bakery case by the register,

with especially large cinnamon rolls and elephant ears.  The large menu is just what you would expect at a truck stop, with the emphasis on comfort food.  Here are the day's specials.

Since it was a little after 10:00AM, I feared I would be stuck with having to order breakfast.  But the nice waitress (I received excellent service) told me the entire menu is available 24 hours a day, which is a big plus!  With it being such a cold day outside, I was especially interested in their homemade soups.  Having two of my favorites, I went for a bowl of them both.  The chicken dumpling soup was especially hearty, with big, solid dumplings in it. 

I was very happy with this.  Bowl number two was cheesy asparagus,

which although a little too salty for my taste, I still finished easily.  The huge, hot dinner roll that came with it was much appreciated.  The special that caught my eye was the cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham,

a dish I particularly love at home.  Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me at the time I was ordering it that it would be so similar to the cheese soup.  Dumb mistake!  I was tired of the cheese taste by then, and of course, this was too salty, too.  The ham was especially fatty, so all I did was eat some of the potatoes and ignored the rest. 

For dessert, I tried to order a piece of banana cream pie, but the waitress came back and told me they were out.  So, I settled on a slice of apple crumb.  Again, a mistake.  After just eating at Elegant Farmer, is any other apple pie going to compare?  Anyway, here is the pie,

which was way too much crumb and not enough apple.  Other than the chicken dumpling soup, my meal was a disappointment.  But, I sure could have ordered smarter, too.

I got back on I-94 and headed to Madison.

The Pine Cone
Hwy. 26 & I-94
Johnson Creek, WI
920-699-2766 

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/1165-1165/the-pine-cone]http://www.roadfood.com/R...165-1165/the-pine-cone[/link]
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/12/30 10:47:13
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 11:26:57 (permalink)
A clear case of WWBBD by the master himself!  Nice job on the two soups!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 13:19:24 (permalink)
First stop once reaching Madison was the University of Wisconsin bookstore, where I bought a couple new shirts.  I spent some time walking up and down busy State Street, but it was so cold, I decided it was time to get back to the car.  But not before walking a block over to icy Lake Mendota. 

Brrrrrrrrrr!

No surprise to learn that the university is famous for their ice cream, so I decided to stop at the Babcock Hall Dairy Store

Parking in this area can be difficult and I finally found a spot a couple of blocks away.  But, the meter only allows you to put enough money in for 25 minutes.  Booo!  That sure isn't much ice cream eating time!

Looking over the available flavors,

I settled on a scoop of Peppermint Stick and a scoop of Badger Blast, thinking this was their signature flavor.

Despite the fact that the ice cream was on the soft side and started melting immediately, I was very happy with what I had.  The Badger Blast was very rich and creamy, while the peppermint was one of the strongest of this flavor I have ever had.  To drink with my ice cream, a small container of the university's own milk. 

I did ask the young lady who took my order what the most popular flavor here was and she told me it was Orange Custard Chocolate Chip.  I would have loved to have gotten some of that to take with me, but by this time I was full and running out of time.  I was also tempted by their own made cheese

and half-gallons of ice cream to go,

but I had no way of getting it home.

Babcock Hall Dairy Store
1605 Linden Drive
Madison, WI
608-262-3045

[link=http://www.babcockhalldairystore.wisc.edu/IceCreamHome.htm]http://www.babcockhalldai...c.edu/IceCreamHome.htm[/link]
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/12/30 13:20:44
stricken_detective
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 14:21:53 (permalink)
I've often thought parking meters should let you swipe your credit card when you park & again when you leave. I've also thought this is America & I should not have to pay to park.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip,

Wistful in Waukesha
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Weekend in Wisconsin's Winter Wonderland 2009/12/30 21:09:59 (permalink)
Aye carumba.  A kringle on steroids.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1