Weekend on Florida's First Coast

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 16:26:20 (permalink)
Oh those shrimp make my mouth water. Beautiful!
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 16:38:39 (permalink)

Great report BB. I've never had halushki but that looks like my kind of dish. I think I need to give that a try at home.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2942
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 17:51:39 (permalink)
BB - As always, great report and even better chocies. You always get the best out of each trip! How many flavors of pierogies are avaiable? Are there variety or sampler plates of different flavors? Did the potatoe pancakes have an option of sour cream or no to either apple sauce and sour cream?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 10:13:36 (permalink)
Rib Rater-
Halushki is pure European comfort food! I have never made it myself, but I have heard it is easy to make. Let us know how it turns out.

Nancypalooza-
The shrimp at O'Steen's are beautiful to look at, for sure! I took multiple close up shots, but all of them turned out too blurry to use.

CTD-
Welcome back! Pierogies Plus has four types of pierogies available everyday. They are Potato & cheese, Sauerkraut & potato (my favorite), cottage cheese & chives and meat. But, if you give them two days notice, there are another couple dozen types you can get. There are also four different sampler plates to choose from.

As for the potato pancake, I didn't ask. It did not come with either sour cream or apple sauce. By the time I started eating it, time was short for me to get to the airport. Next time I go, I will find out.

BlueMaxx
-
Thanks for the compliments. I have checked out your website in the past and it is extremely well done.

joerogo-
I thought this may end up being one of those trips where everything went wrong, but luckily, things got much, much better!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 11:08:05 (permalink)
Sunday October 5, 2008 

Just around 8:00AM, it was odd walking along St. George Street in downtown St. Augustine and seeing it so deserted.

At normal hours, this pedestrian street is packed. My breakfast destination was The Bunnery.

This is a bakery that does serve regular sit down meals. But, I was more interested in picking up some pastries and just strolling around the town.

I bought a big, sweet blueberry muffin.

A disappointing cinnamon sugar cookie.

A wonderful, but very messy strawberry strudel.

The best thing I bought, though, was the ham & cheese croissant.

It was perfectly buttery and flaky.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5605&RefID=5516

I really love the Spanish architecture in St. Augustine. The Lightner Museum

is beautiful inside and out. The old fort, Castillo de San Marcos is well worth the tour.

A nice little park downtown.

But, my favorite place is Flagler College.

I particularly like the courtyard on the campus. One of the things I learned on the tour I took on this trip is that the fountain here is also a working sundial. Cool!

I walked back to my hotel and checked out.

More to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:16:22
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 13:35:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Saturday October 4 cont.

No wonder that shark is dead. It drank too much Bacardi!

I think that is Captain Morgan's in the shark's mouth.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 13:52:43 (permalink)
Sunday October 5, 2008 cont.

Just over an hour after leaving St. Augustine, I arrived in Gainesville, looking for the University of Florida.

It has been several years since I have been here, but what a nice town this is. At the bookstore, I loaded up on some Gator gear. During the winter, I love to wear heavy, hooded sweatshirts. I was paying for what I picked out at the cash register when the lovely checkout girl asked to see my ID. She looked at it and said, "I knew it"! I asked her what she meant and she said she knew I had to be from back north, because no one from around there would buy such a thick sweatshirt. Turns out she was from Dearborn, MI.

Outside of the bookstore, they had some nice Gator heads.

CHOMP!

Time for lunch and I was really looking forward to the place I picked out. Everyone remember the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings book The Yearling? They have a restaurant called The Yearling right in Cross Creek where she used to live and write.

Only about 15 miles from Gainesville, it was easy to find. But, it sure didn't look like much on the outside.

Southern Stamps?

While walking in, I noticed a sign that said live music on Fridays and Saturdays. Too bad, I thought, that would have been nice. But, they sat me down in the front dining room no more than 15 feet away from a blues guituarist named Willie Green.

Man, was he good! I can't begin to tell you how much my experience here was enhanced by hearing him play. There were a lot of songs he played that I didn't recognize, but my favorite was when he did an outstanding version of Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay. I am kicking myself for not picking up one of his CD's that were for sale.

No surprise that The Yearling restaurant is The Yearling book themed.

Still, it is a little strange to see a boat in the middle of the back dining room.

My meal started off with what they called Yearling chowder, which was basically a gumbo.

Truthfully, it was really bad. Thin, watery, old, it was really bad. This got me wondering if eating here was the right decision.

Luckily, my main entree was much, much better. I got the catfish, which came with two lovely fillets.

This was some of the best catfish I have had in a while. My sides were fries and bacony black eyed peas.

As usual on my trips, I have neglected to talk about what I drank. When I am in the South, I always get the sweet tea. Considering northern Florida is very much part of the deep South (unlike many parts of south Florida), I thought I should be able to get good sweet tea. Nah, I didn't get one really good glass of tea my entire trip. I think I was spoiled by my recent trip to Memphis, where just about every place has really good sweet tea. At least at The Yearling, they did give me an entire pitcher, which I always appreciate.

The first dessert my waitress mentioned was Sour Orange Pie. I asked her to tell me more about it and she said it was basically Key Lime Pie, but with orange instead. I told her she didn't have to go any further on her list, that is the one I wanted.

And what a beautiful piece of pie this was! Cool, refreshing, it was wonderful. CajunKing, you would have loved it!

I don't recommend everything about The Yearling restaurant, but the pie, the atmosphere and Mr. Green made it a meal I will long remember.

http://yearlingrestaurant.net/

More to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:16:56
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 14:17:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by braunsteinm

quote:

Saturday October 4 cont.

No wonder that shark is dead. It drank too much Bacardi!

I think that is Captain Morgan's in the shark's mouth.
Is it? I thought I remember it being Bacardi, but I didn't go right up to the shark and look. I'm not much of a drinker, so most would recognize the bottles better than I would.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 14:32:00 (permalink)
I live in Gainesville........
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 15:29:21 (permalink)
Great report. It is nice to see all the places that I have been to, and not the usual tourist places. I was so surprised to see your photos on "The Yearling". The food there used to be just wonderful and we would drive from Daytona Beach to eat there. The last I knew it had been closed for quite a while. I had no idea that it had reopened but certainly glad to hear it. It is another one of Florida's Roadfood treasures.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 16:48:16 (permalink)
"Considering northern Florida is very much part of the deep South (unlike many parts of south Florida)"
Isn't that the truth?

Nice trip and report BB, this one is pretty close to home. Thanks
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 17:03:27 (permalink)
So BB..Did you get to Salt Water Cowboy's? I wondered what you thought of it..We've been there 5-6 times and I think it is ok....I like the scenery best but those chairs are literally a pain in the ass. You know I have never been to O'Steens (looks like cracker crumb breading?) in all the times I've been up to St. Augustine. The do very well. We jsut always went to the Cab Company or Saltwater...I know lots of people love St. Augustine..We never found dining to be that great up there.

Hey, there's two other places if you are coming further South. Both in Palm Coast..One is Thai By Thai right off I-95 at the Palm Coast Parkway Exit (small palce with very good Thai food) and the other is the A&D Deli near Publix which makes really good sandwiches...In that same shopping center. Both very good for a lunch. Any further and you're hitting Ormond at RT 100 and Hooligans for wings and Hog Heaven for "Q" E- mail me and I'll meet you for lunch or dinner!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 18:23:47 (permalink)
Seems like Ben and I have agreed to disagree. St. Augustine has great places to eat...............thankfully, there are no chains near the historic district. We often drive there just to eat at one of their restaurants.

Of course, we have not tried them all but these are our favorites and I think that St Augustine should be recognized for their good dining.

Barnacle Bills'

Creekside Dinery - N. Fla Low Country Cookin'

Le Pavillon of Saint Augustine

95 Cordova Restaurant at The Casa Monica Hotel

Raintree Seafood & Steakhouse

Salt Water Cowboys Restaurant

Columbia Restaurant

And of course there is O Steen's for wonderful shrimp and the wonderful chowder
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 21:58:20 (permalink)
It must have been 20 years ago when Gail and I had a wonderful lunch at the Yearling-it was, at that time, a fairly upscale restaurant; well maintained , good service, and excellent little whole fried catfish, frogs legs, cooter and gator on the menu.
It looks from your photos that it has fallen on bad times. But a good blues guitar and a great slice of pie can make up for a whole lot of other failings. i had thought the place had closed years ago.

Cheers, John
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7907
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/10 23:19:36 (permalink)
I want that pie!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/11 16:03:55 (permalink)
BB

YOU ARE KILLIN ME!! - You are right I want to try that pie, hmmm I am headed to FL in Nov.......
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7838
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/12 18:15:11 (permalink)
BB,

O'Steen's is on my "hit list" of must tries. Having been to St Augustine twice- in 2002 and 2005 I can say it's truly one of my favorite places in the US to visit. Hey, I just realized it's 2008- I'm due again!

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6274
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/12 19:02:50 (permalink)
Great report...and St.Augustine is,I agree Wanderingjew...onr of the greatest places to visit...beautiful and great atmosphere...Columbia restaurant is our favorite...nice atmosphere,,,great seafood...my wife had a grouper dish that was heaven!!!
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/12 23:15:54 (permalink)
During the mid-seventies I lived in Gainesville and worked as an electrician. We worked on an extensive remodel or addition to the Yearling, don't remember which. The Yearling was very popular at that time and I enjoyed several meals there. It was considered expensive if I recall correctly.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4098
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/13 07:52:20 (permalink)
WOW! What a trip! All those fried shrimp and pierogies, to boot!

My triumvirate of favorite entrees are fried shrimp, a Peter Luger porterhouse, and broasted chicken.

And speaking of broasted chicken, I'm looking forward to your visiting the Breezy Heights Tavern in Avella.

BTW: Mrs. Metro will soon be whipping up a home-made version of that SourOrange Pie!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/13 08:16:28 (permalink)
Another great trip report, BB. I went to St. Augustine 22 years ago, but the only restaurant overlap that I recall is the Raintree.

That sour orange pie looks great!
crew84row
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/13 11:53:48 (permalink)
BB,

Looks like you were at Singleton's about a week after my wife and I were there. I had taken a picture of the front but once inside the camera batteries went kaput, so my pics of the sheepshead sandwich were too dark even with Photoshop lightening.

Wish you had a op to eat at Saltwater Cowboys. We like it a bit better than Osteen's, but have only been to both once. Glad you for T-Ray's. I see why we missed it when we were there. Next time we're on Amelia Island, I'll head there for breakfast and order biscuits with butter! We may be doing the Trukey lake regatta in Orlando this year, if I'll talk the crew to going to the Sugar House.

Glad you had a nice trip, food wise.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/13 12:01:16 (permalink)
Cliff, Julie says to tell you you take great pictures. And Don, you might have to share your pie with me.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 14:18:09 (permalink)
Sunday October 5, 2008 cont.

Just a few hundred yards away from The Yearling restaurant, is the historical site dedicated to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

I would have liked to have taken a tour of the house, but I would have had to wait around over an hour and I didn't have the time. Here is the house anyway and some of the scenery.

Time to head back towards Orlando and my flight home. On a whim, I thought I would drive by Vega's Cafe,

where I had a terrific Cuban sandwich and black bean soup a few years ago. Alas, they are closed on Sunday. So, I just headed to the airport.

On the way, something caught my eye. There was a giant wiener on a prong, just like at Wolfy's in Chicago.

Turns out it was a Chicago style hot dog place called Hot Dog Heaven.

I had to get one and it did look reasonably authentic.

I am far from a Chicago dog expert, but I thought it was quite good. My only complaint was that the steamed bun disinigrated from the weight of the dog and its toppings. What do you Chicagoans think?

A strawberry shake completed the quick meal.

I flew back to Pittsburgh and walked in my front door around 10:00PM.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:17:50
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 14:26:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

So what do you think of The Yearling Restaurant?
Rusty246
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 14:45:09 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

So what do you think of The Yearling Restaurant?

Honestly I haven't been there since they re-opened, years. The last time I was there was in oh, 1983ish. The owners name was Pat, I did her hair. The closest I have gotten to "The Yearling" since was "Blue Highway Pizza" off 441 in Micanopy.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 14:53:38 (permalink)
Rusty246-
You should be proud to know that I wore my Gators t-shirt around Baltimore last weekend.
Rusty246
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 15:07:04 (permalink)
quote:

Rusty246-
You should be proud to know that I wore my Gators t-shirt around Baltimore last weekend.

WOOOHOOO! Looking at your pictures of our campus felt kind of weird. When I got sick and tired of the whole hair business thing my next job was temporary at the "Campus Shop and Bookstore" it was just two two buildings over from where I'm at now. The new one is behind me and it's a pain to get to, you have to go through the entire(chain)food court, or to the front entrance which seems like miles. I wish you'd have gotten a Copper Monkey University Avenue steakburger before you left!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/14 22:10:05 (permalink)
I love St.Augustine..
I am repeating myself here.
It is my favorite city in ALL of Florida, and yes, the fort is well worth the trip, as is just strolling around old town......Did you hit the old military hospital?..
That is another interesting little mini tour.....
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6274
RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/15 06:52:21 (permalink)
quote:

Sunday October 5 cont.

Just a few hundred yards away from The Yearling restaurant, is the historical site dedicated to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

I would have liked to have taken a tour of the house, but I would have had to wait around over an hour and I didn't have the time. Here is the house anyway and some of the scenery.

Time to head back towards Orlando and my flight home. On a whim, I thought I would drive by Vega's Cafe,

where I had a terrific Cuban sandwich and black bean soup a few years ago. Alas, they are closed on Sunday. So, I just headed to the airport.

On the way, something caught my eye. There was a giant wiener on a prong, just like at Wolfy's in Chicago.

Turns out it was a Chicago style hot dog place called Hot Dog Heaven.

I had to get one and it did look reasonably authentic.

I am far from a Chicago dog expert, but I thought it was quite good. My only complaint was that the steamed bun disinigrated from the weight of the dog and its toppings. What do you Chicagoans think?

A strawberry shake completed the quick meal.

I flew back to Pittsburgh and walked in my front door around 10:00PM.

This was interesting...she sure had a way with description...a great writer...nice trip...thanks!!!!!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1