Weekend on Florida's First Coast

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
2008/10/07 13:42:18 (permalink)

Weekend on Florida's First Coast

I have been wanting to go back to St. Augustine, my favorite city in Florida for a while. Since Southwest Airlines offers cheap, direct flights to Orlando from Pittsburgh, it made more sense to go that route, rather than to fly into Jacksonville.

Friday October 3, 2008 

Since my flight didn't leave until after 8:00PM, I had time to stop for dinner on the way to the airport. Not having been to Pierogies Plus in McKees Rocks for a few months, I made that my destination. Two excellent Roadfood indicators about the place are that it is in a former gas station

and the smiling pierogie on their sign.

It seems everytime I come here lately, they have made some more changes. The red neon "OPEN" sign is new, as is the display case just inside the door.

Although it is nice to see that they are offering new menu items, I hope they don't forget what they do best. I never thought I would see this place make lobster cakes.

While I was waiting for my food, I noticed that they are selling dvds on how to make some of their specialties.

There are some interesting looking specials available,

but I was most interested in the old stand-bys. So, I got the combination plate, which includes four pierogies, a stuffed cabbage and a huge mound of halushki.

Once I got my food, I sat at the lone outside table, as there is no indoor seating here. Most people get their food to go. The pierogies were stuffed with potato and although I prefer the sauerkraut, they were as good as always. The last time I was here, I did not like my stuffed cabbage (it tasted old to me), but it was much better this time. And the portion size of the halushki (noodles, with cabbage and onions) was so big, I couldn't finish it all.

For the first time ever, I saw that they were offering potato pancakes.

You get two for $2.25. Good crunchy exterior, with a creamy inside. Still, I would have liked some apple sauce to go with them.

Even though it isn't made here, I almost always finish up my meals here with a small container of tapioca.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5041&RefID=4999

After landing in Orlando, I picked up my car rental. When I got to my car, it was obvious that it had not been washed. Besides a lot of dirt on it, the entire back end was covered in dead bugs. I complained and although it took a while, got a different car.

I drove straight to my hotel, just north of the city. Feeling tired, all I wanted to do was watch the baseball playoffs. When I walked in my non-smoking room, there was a strong smell of smoke. Also, my tv didn't work and I couldn't get an internet connection on my laptop. I complained, but no other rooms were available.

Honestly, I hate complaining. Things go wrong sometimes when you travel and I am a roll with the punches kind of guy. But both instances bothered me enough to complain. Who wants to be touching all those dead bugs everytime you get in and out of the trunk?

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:11:09

96 Replies Related Threads

firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 13:51:05 (permalink)
    B-Buster,

The bugs all over the trunk of your car are called ROADFOOD in some countries!
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 14:15:28 (permalink)
    Those "dead bugs" must be our infamous "love bugs". I made a trip up to the panhandle(Milton, FL) last Wednesday, I too have a dead bug issue. Wait, you say they are on the trunk??? That's a mystery.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 14:19:21 (permalink)
    Saturday October 4, 2008 

My breakfast destination, Sugar Mill Restaurant,

is about 50 minutes north of Orlando. Located inside De Leon Springs State Park, it is one of the very most atmospheric Roadfood spots.

I arrived outside the park around 7:45AM and cars were already lined outside the gates, waiting for the park to open.

It costs three bucks just to enter the park, if you are by yourself, which I was. Four dollars if there is two or more of you. The restaurant itself is an old sugar mill

and the wheel is still there on the side.

Inside, it is all wood and is a very pleasant place to relax and enjoy your meal.

The attraction here is the make your own pancakes. They give you pitchers of pancake mix and you do the pouring and flipping on the griddle right inside your table.

Now, I have been here twice before, but in both instances, my fellow diners (once my girlfriend and once cousin Johnny) took care of the pancakes, while I was taking photos. Since I was by myself, I was looking forward to doing it all.

On each table is syrup, honey and molasses and of course, some EZ Coat for the griddle.

When you order the all-you-can-eat pancakes, you get two large pitchers of pancake batter.

The one on the left is five grain, consisting of rice, rye, corn, whole wheat and buckwheat. The one on the right is traditional white unbleached early American. You can also order some mix-ins at an additional cost. After all, what are pancakes without chocolate chips or blueberries?

I will definitely admit to not being the best pancake maker in the world. Trying to keep an eye on things while taking lots of photos was a bit challenging. But, it was also lots of fun.

Not pretty, but they tasted good!

I also ordered a side of bacon.

Doesn't it seem silly to deliver two slices of bacon in a big pan like that?

Since I was taking so many pictures, my waitress grabbed the camera and took a photo of me, too.

By the way, how many other Roadfood restaurants can you also rent an inner tube?

You can use those on the lovely swimming pool or lake just outside the restaurant.

Those photos really don't do the place justice, because it really is gorgeous! Johnny and I once swam in the pool, but didn't last too long, since the water was so cold. This was much to the delight of the senior citizens doing laps, whom very much enjoyed heckling us!

Just inside the one building is a nice small history museum of the area.

For anyone traveling in central Florida, this is one of the coolest Roadfood restaurants I have been to and I highly recommend it!

http://www.planetdeland.com/sugarmill/

Okay, so who is going to be the first one to say, "Why should I go to a restaurant to make pancakes, when I can do it at home"?

Much more to come.....
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:12:09
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 14:28:10 (permalink)
    Are you kidding me?? I know why you go out. NO DISHES!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 14:31:21 (permalink)
    Been there ' tried that, and we'd love to do it all over again - That pancake place is a real one-of-a-kind.

Cheers, John
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 15:31:07 (permalink)
    Saturday October 4, 2008 cont.

Two hours later, I arrived at T-Ray's Burger Station in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. There is no indication I saw on the outside telling you that this is a restaurant. As the Sterns' often say, one of the best signs for a great Roadfood place is no sign at all.

It is actually on the inside of an Exxon station,

although it doesn't look like the gas pumps have worked in a while.

I walked in at 11:20AM and there was a sign next to the cash register saying that breakfast was over and that they would start serving lunch at 11:30. So, I walked around the tiny inside and took a few photos. There are two small counters, one facing the kitchen and one facing the window. Another half dozen tables make up the small dining area.

An interesting sign.

Oddly, here in Florida Gator country, the place is practically a shrine to the Georgia Bulldogs.

I'm thinking UGA would love this place!

A few minutes before 11:30, people started to line up to place their orders. Since everyone else was getting the burgers, that was obviously the thing to eat. I ordered the Small T Burger with fries and a drink. They asked what I wanted on it and I got the works.

Since I planned on doing lots of eating this day, this smaller burger was just the right size. It was also plenty juicy and I was very happy with it.

The fries were big, skin-on steak fries. It is easy to see why this place is so popular.

The one disappointment was they were all out of their famous banana pudding.

Before I left, I bought a t-shirt, with the house motto, "Eat Here and Get Gas"! Classy!

Since it was right around the corner, I stopped in to see how the Florida House Inn was holding up. This place has appeared in some of the older Roadfood books, back when they served big Southern boardinghouse meals. I spent three days here during the holidays in 2000 and enjoyed several wonderful meals. Unfortunately, when I came back in 2005, they had changed to a traditional upscale restaurant and it wasn't the same. A nice place to eat and stay, but not really Roadfood material. Still a great looking place on the outside, though.

BTW, I believe this is the oldest hotel in Florida.

http://www.floridahouseinn.com/

Much more to come.....
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:13:02
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 15:45:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

Those "dead bugs" must be our infamous "love bugs". I made a trip up to the panhandle(Milton, FL) last Wednesday, I too have a dead bug issue. Wait, you say they are on the trunk??? That's a mystery.
    I'm guessing someone must have been driving really fast backwards.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 17:20:33 (permalink)
    i love deleon springs. even when i have gone with 4 big eaters, we've never been able to finish the pitchers of batter. and the springs are wonderful to swim in. once you are in you get used to it, but yes, quite a shock to the system when you first jump in. i was here just 2 weeks ago and going again tomorrow. for anyone planning on going, it is much less crowded during the week if you can manage it.
    i look foward to what you have to say about my home town, st auggie
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 17:27:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

quote:

Now that's funny! And I wouldn't doubt it either. Hey if you do make it to St. Augustine I'd be anxious to hear what you thought of "Borrillos", it's on San Marco Ave, not to far from the Fort and for a good dog, Hazel's AND "Buck's B-B-Q". Give him shot.........
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/07 17:50:29 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Now that's funny! And I wouldn't doubt it either. Hey if you do make it to St. Augustine I'd be anxious to hear what you thought of "Borrillos", it's on San Marco Ave, not to far from the Fort and for a good dog, Hazel's AND "Buck's B-B-Q". Give him shot.........

It's probably something about the aerodynamics of the car.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1732
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 08:13:55 (permalink)
    That park sounds like a great place! Thanks for the info and the pics. I have a brother in Ormond Beach, so I guess a visit this winter is in order.

BTW.....on the beach road north of Ormond Beach, almost to Flagler is a biker bar with some of the best burgers ever. Alas, I forget the name, but it is right on the beach, annd about the only thing there on the beach. Just look for the Harleys
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 08:15:13 (permalink)
    Rusty246-
    Sorry, but I'm already home, without having tried any of those places. There were so many different restaurants I wanted to go to, I could have been there a week!

bosco lover-
    Glad to see another Sugar Mill fan on here! Lucky you being able to go so often. Needless to say, I came nowhere close to using all of my pancake batter.

My favorite memory from there was when my girlfriend and I were the only ones eating who weren't Civil War reeanactors.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 08:21:12 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic-
    For a unique and fun meal, you should definitely have your brother take you to the park and restaurant.

As for the burger place, Ellen will be visiting that area soon and is looking for burger suggestions on this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30614
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 08:54:48 (permalink)
    BB - Fantastic pictures of The Sugar Mill Pancake House. Brought back some unpleasant memories. But, glad you like it. The pictures are really wonderful and thanks for that....

We absolutely hated the place! I guess we are "food snobs" At least when it came to that place.

I believe you would have loved Blue Boy Sandwich Shoppes in Jacksonville. But, it does not seem like you went down that far south?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 08:58:48 (permalink)
    Baah Ben-
    Thanks for chiming in, even if you hated the place. I am very curious about why you had such a bad experience there. Was it one particular incident or just not your kind of place. Oh, and anyone who loves Jo-Jo's as much as I do is not a food snob!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 09:13:43 (permalink)
    BB - Well, it was 95 degrees on a Saturday morning and the heat from the griddle was unreal. We were a party of 4 and all of us were sweating. The fans nor the flies were able to cool us off. We took home a bag of their pancake flour (the darker one)...It was good.

Hey, thanks for the kind words on Jo Jo's. No, I am not a food snob ..just the contrary. But, I do know how many people love this place so I had to say something...Your positive complements are in the majority.

Blue Boy Sandwich Shoppes..The location nearest I-95 is at 6514 Norwood Ave - 904-768-9791. Pure roadfood.....
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 09:14:32 (permalink)
    quote:

The back of your rental, Cliff, probably merited a listing on Yardfood.com, the imaginary blog that the birds who visit our feeders keep up.

I love that griddle-at-your-table idea. That is a pretty neato Roadfood stop. So is the pool a 'natural' one--Florida is the only place I've actually seen those.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 10:34:04 (permalink)
    the pool is a natural spring, 72 degrees year round and bubbles up from the aquifer. it has a concrete sides and stairs, but a sand/ rock bottom. the water is clear
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 10:37:06 (permalink)
    Great report...and oh I want to have that pierogi platter!!!!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 14:11:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's probably something about the aerodynamics of the car.

The fact that it's a rental car might've had something to do with it...

Brad
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 15:16:28 (permalink)
    Loved reading your report. We have always enjoyed going to the Old Spanish Mill. It is a one of a kind place, making it a real Roadfood treasure. Years ago, they would bring you your order of meat raw and you cooked it yourself. I believe that they told us that the state made them stop doing it.

The time to enjoy swimming there is when the temperature is 70 degrees or cooler, and then the water is warmer than the air!

It is particularly beautiful there when the azaleas are in full bloom.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/08 15:42:16 (permalink)
    Hi BB great report and pictures! That natural spring that looks like a swimming pool....are fish or any creatures swimming in it, like the ocean or a lake? Not to sound dumb I was just curious?? I would love to swim in it. Never been to a natural spring before.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 09:22:31 (permalink)
    Baah Ben-
    I can certainly see the heat from the griddle would make a visit to the Sugar Mill much less enjoyable. All of my visits have been in cooler weather, so it has never been a problem.

Nancypalooza-
    Looks like bosco lover has already answered your question about the pool. Maybe it is only in my head, but it very refreshing to swim in the pool. Just that the water is very cold!

Greymo-
    I didn't know they used to bring you your breakfasts meats uncooked, too. There are a lot of boneheads out there, so it is no surprise they can't do this anymore. Would love to see the park when the azaleas are in bloom!

blue heaven-
    Thanks for the compliment. Other than the senior citizens doing laps, no sea creatures in the pool!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 09:58:57 (permalink)
    Saturday October 4, 2008 cont.

Since I had the smaller burger at T-Ray's, I still had plenty of appetite for a second lunch. Wanting to head south towards St. Augustine, Singleton's Seafood Shack became my destination.

But to get there from the north, you have to take the St. John's river ferry.

The ride was very short (approximately 10 minutes), but I still very much enjoyed being out on the water.

When you land on the south side of the river, Singleton's Seafood Shack is right there.

As soon as you walk in, there is fresh seafood out and available.

No wonder that shark is dead. It drank too much Bacardi!

This place is extremely casual, with nothing but wooden benches and tables and a bar in the middle of the main dining room.

I was originally going to eat in the screened in room in the back, which had a nice view of the river and the fishing boats.

But, they had a tv tuned in to college football, so I plunked myself down in front of that and watched the Florida-Arkansas game.

Wanting to try as many things as possible, I ordered the Three Item Combo. There is other seafood to choose from, but I went with the fried oysters, fried shrimp and the deviled crab.

All three items were very good, but the lightly battered fried shrimp were my favorite.

But best on the plate goes to the fantastic collard greens.

The one item I thought was substandard the dry hushpuppies.

The menu says they have homemade pie, which was all I needed to hear. Key Lime Pie was available, but I figured I would be eating plenty of that later in the trip. So, I went with the peanut butter pie.

This was one of those pies that you really enjoy the first half dozen or so bites and then you get tired of the taste real quick. Peanut butter pies in general are rich and this was especially so. But, if you are a big peanut butter lover, you may very well love this pie.

BTW, the service here is very friendly. Three different waitresses called me hon or sweetie!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5608&RefID=5517

I got back in the car and continued the beautiful drive south on A1A towards St. Augustine.

More to come.....
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:14:01
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 11:45:55 (permalink)
    Wow BB you should quit your day job and do this professionally....great writng and pictures!
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 14:08:05 (permalink)
    I just died reading this post, BB. Although I have been to Singleton's, the trip you took and the places you stopped are exactly what I want to do. Thanks for all the pics. GREAT read!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 14:28:17 (permalink)
    Saturday October 4, 2008 cont.

After arriving in St. Augustine, I checked into my hotel, the Comfort Suites. Seeing that I had a working tv, a good internet connection and my room did not smell of smoke, I was a happy boy! I walked into the downtown area and explored for a couple of hours. Since my day on Sunday is lighter on food, I will put the photos there.

Around five, I headed to my dinner destination, Saltwater Cowboy's. In a previous visit to St. Augustine, I ate at O'Steen's and had the best fried shrimp of my life. Since I would be driving right past O'Steen's, I figured it wouldn't hurt to stop in and see how busy they were. From past experience, I expected there to be a very long wait, which I wasn't willing to do.

When I pulled in, the benches in front were all but empty.

But, looks here can be deceiving. There is an antique store next door and they have a loudspeaker in there where you can hear your name called. Everyone could be over there shopping. Sure enough, the lady at the window told me a 45 minute wait. She did mention that if I was willing to sit at the counter, I could get in much quicker. Sold! 15 minutes later, I had my seat at the counter.

My meal started with a bowl of the local specialty, Minorcan chowder.

Hotter than I expected, this was excellent soup!

Of course, the thing to eat here is fried shrimp. Even the sign out by the road can tell you that.

I got an order of a dozen.

They weren't quite as sublime as I remembered, but these lightly coated butterflied beauties are still as good as fried shrimp get. A really good pinkish dipping sauce comes with the shrimp.

Lots of interesting choices for sides and both the porky, soft green beans and squash casserole

were winners. The hushpuppies were crunchy on the outside with a wonderful faint sweet taste.

Much better than what I had earlier in the day.

While sitting at the counter, I saw the couple next to me sharing a piece of banana cream pie. I asked them how it was and they praised it effusively. Since banana cream pie is my personal favorite, I was excited to hear this. As I kept eating my shrimp, I heard a waitress come out of the kitchen with a slice and call out "One banana"!

Now, I have never worked in a restaurant, but I knew that this was trouble. I flagged down my waitress and asked her if that meant there was only one piece left and she said yes. Needless to say, I asked her to reserve it for me. She just laughed and called out, "the banana is gone" and fetched it for me.

Ultra soft, it reminded me of banana pudding with meringue on top. This was good, although not great pie. Still, a great way to finish my meal.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=2901&RefID=2890

By this time, I was completely full. I relaxed at the hotel watching the baseball playoffs and college football for the rest of the night. I did consider going out for another meal, but I was way too full.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/27 14:15:26
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 14:34:43 (permalink)
    BB, After the car and hotel, it sounded like you were going to have a Rodney Dangerfield trip. Glad to see all went well from there.

The Sugarmill looks like a really cool place. If you liked the pancakes, I hope you tipped the chef well.

Great combo platter at Pierogies Plus. I hope to make it there someday.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Weekend on Florida's First Coast 2008/10/09 14:48:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nice report.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1