The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 2:44 PM (permalink)
Weekend trip to the high country.

Memorial Day weekend in Phoenix is this city’s annual unofficial Disaster Evacuation Drill, and even I participated this year.

With temperatures threatening to shoot into the low 100’s I decided to spend the last weekend before my kids head off to Germany for the summer, up in the cool Pines of the White Mountains in east central Arizona.

The town of Pinetop is about 3 hours and 25 degrees away from the Valley of the Sun, making it the perfect summer getaway. We are fortunate enough to have a friend who allows us to use her place whenever we are up there, complete with community pool and nice common areas.

We stopped for lunch upon arrival, and after a very disappointing Cheeseburger at a place called Darby’s we spent the rest of the afternoon looking around the area.

I ran across a calf roping competition that afternoon,

an art fair…I haven’t had a corn dog in years….not great.

one of many lakes

and a man that was pretty handy with a chain saw.

Dinner that evening was just an eat-in affair, with salad, spaghetti and a glass of wine for the adults. We wanted to get good night sleep in order to be ready for our hike the following morning.

Sunday morning we went up to a small town called Greer, on the “Road to Nowhere.” Hwy 373 ends in this beautiful little mountain town, and is a great place to go horseback riding, fishing or, as we did, a bit of a hike along the East Fork of the Little Colorado River.

Along the way we spotted a nice group of elk (about 15 altogether) out for an early morning grazing. The kids got very excited to see these majestic animals close-up.

The Little Colorado River at this point, being so close to the source, is really just a bubbling stream as it works it’s way out of the White Mountains and heads north to it’s rendezvous with the “Big” Colorado River that in turn works it’s way through the Grand Canyon before watering Las Vegas, Southern Arizona and the Imperial Valley in California.

Arizona is home to the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine in the world with Pinetop sitting on the eastern edge, and the aroma of the trees was intoxicating all weekend long.

After the hike, we took a break at the Greer Lodge Restaurant www.greerlodgeaz.com for a little breakfast. It was nice to sit out on the patio and enjoy the cool breeze and beautiful views….we even got treated to gunfight!

My Eggs Benedict were pretty good, just one thing missing….aaaa, where’s the ham? The server did bring it out immediately, apparently the cook had grilled it up, just forgot to put it on…

Greer Lodge has good food, just a bit pricey. Be forwarned, they have recently changed the food and beverage director, this could be good or bad. The folks waiting on our table didn’t seem too thrilled…

That afternoon was another one of relaxing, although I was “volunteered” to replace the towel bars in the upstairs bathroom….the least I could do for free digs.

I went across the street to check out a local guy grilling up some fine looking ribs, but passed in favor of saving my appetite for a nice Rib-eye that evening at a local place called Charlie Clark's. www.charlieclarks.com

We had some friends staying in the area and invited them over for a glass of wine before walking over to Charlie’s. Once there we ordered an excellent Calamari appetizer before eating an average salad. I was really looking forward to the steak, but I was less than thrilled when it finally arrived.

I had ordered it with mashed potatoes, and maybe I’ve been living in the Big City too long, but I expected a big pile of fluffy garlic mashed potatoes, not an ice cream scoop of ordinary potatoes drown a pre-packaged gravy.

I also ordered the steak medium rare, unfortunately it was closer to medium. I ate it and it was OK, but certainly not what I expected, esp. for the Big City prices they were charging. I ate at Charlie Clark's a couple years ago, and I remember the steak being much better.

The next morning we got up and headed back over to Greer, this time for a little horseback riding. I was lucky enough to get a trusty steed by the name of Milo. Milo was, well, a Mule. He and I hit it off and were best buds in no time. His attitude and disposition were similar to a good ol’ hound dog.

We took in some excellent views and even spotted a couple Pronghorn Antelope, but they had sprung away before I could get close enough for a picture.

After the horseback riding, we headed back into Pinetop. The kids wanted to swim some more and my wife wanted to relax and read a bit, so I headed over to Momma Bear’s Restaurant for what I hoped would be a nice late breakfast. I remember eating there before so I couldn’t pass up the chance to refresh my memory.

I ordered the Momma Bear Scramble, which offered a choice of Bacon, ham, sausage or chorizo, I opted for the chorizo. It came with a very nice fresh tortilla and some awesome hash browns and homemade picante sauce. Truly the star of the trip. From what I saw on the other plates, I could spend a week of mornings sampling the menu.

We got packed up and headed back towards Phoenix, noting that the temperature was 71 degrees at midday. By the time we got back down in the Valley the temperature had risen close to 30 degrees!

We got home and got everyone unpacked, then I headed down to the Veterans Memorial here in Fountain Hills to pay my respects to those who died defending freedom throughout the world.

After that I hit the American Legion for a couple beers with those who had served and lived to tell about it, and toasted my Father, a Korean War Vet, who passed away on Memorial Day a few years back.

All in all, a successful weekend. The kids enjoyed the trip as did we, although from a Roadfood perspective I could have done better. Maybe next time, there is always next time.

DD

Sundancer7

RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 2:52 PM (permalink)
    Nice pics and I am glad to see that not all of Arizona looks like Tucson and Phoenix. Pretty water and trees.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

kkrhmom

• Total Posts: 70
      RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 3:12 PM (permalink)
      Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. The pics were great. The scenery looked absolutely amazing!!!!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 4:07 PM (permalink)
        Man, I hope you can go away every weekend. Awesome travelogue. Thanks for the effort and for sharing with us.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 4:16 PM (permalink)
          DD - As always, great photos! Looks like a fun filled weekend.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
            RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 5:25 PM (permalink)
            Beautiful DD, does not get any better than that. Almost makes me want to leave Florida, but not quite.

John

buffetbuster

RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 6:51 PM (permalink)
              desertdog-
              As usual, another great report. That is wonderful spending the time with your family and kudos for going to the Veteran's Memorial to pay your respects.

lynndunham

• Total Posts: 194
                RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Tue, 05/29/07 7:52 PM (permalink)
                Desertdog -
                Thanks for the great report! My favorite restaurant in the Pinetop/Lakeside area is the Christmas Tree. Fun atmosphere and wonderful chicken & dumplings, homemade pickled beets, breads, etc. I haven't been there for a few years but I read on the attached link that nothing's changed (except the prices). http://feastinginphoenix.com/?p=158

I used to like Aunt Nancy's in Showlow for breakfast but haven't been there in years. I'd like to know if it's still good.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                  RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Wed, 05/30/07 12:56 AM (permalink)
                  Excellent.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Wed, 05/30/07 8:25 AM (permalink)
                    Great report! Thanks for posting!

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                      RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Wed, 05/30/07 9:06 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by lynndunham

Desertdog -
                      Thanks for the great report! My favorite restaurant in the Pinetop/Lakeside area is the Christmas Tree. Fun atmosphere and wonderful chicken & dumplings, homemade pickled beets, breads, etc. I haven't been there for a few years but I read on the attached link that nothing's changed (except the prices). http://feastinginphoenix.com/?p=158

I used to like Aunt Nancy's in Showlow for breakfast but haven't been there in years. I'd like to know if it's still good.

The Christmas Tree is still there and doing quite well. Last time my wife was up (about a month ago) she ate there and gave it rave reviews. It's on the list for the next visit!

Haven't heard of Aunt Nancy's, but doesn't mean it's not there. I'll look for it next time through.

DD

lynndunham

• Total Posts: 194
                        RE: Weekend trip to the high country. - PICS Wed, 05/30/07 11:44 AM (permalink)
                        Aunt Nancy's is apparently still there. I remember it was off the highway by a block or two but close to downtown. Their address and phone number are:

21 North 9th Street
                        Show Low, Arizona 85901-5117 ph: 520.537.4839

If I remember correctly it was a quaint, homey sort of place set back in a large yard.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com