Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches

Author
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
2004/07/30 16:48:45 (permalink)

Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches

During the past month, the Wegman's Supermarket chain in the Buffalo
area offered in their sub shop TWO 14 inch submarine sandwiches for $10.00. All their submarines are made fresh and are offered on seeded rolls, non seeded rolls and their new honey wheat roll. They are loaded with meat!

I never had their new honey wheat roll so I tried a hot ham with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet peppers, mayo and Nance's hot mustard. Have to say it was the best submarine I ever had!

16 Replies Related Threads

HungryDoug
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/03/15 15:51:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by anselmo1

During the past month, the Wegman's Supermarket chain in the Buffalo
    area offered in their sub shop TWO 14 inch submarine sandwiches for $10.00. All their submarines are made fresh and are offered on seeded rolls, non seeded rolls and their new honey wheat roll. They are loaded with meat!

I never had their new honey wheat roll so I tried a hot ham with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet peppers, mayo and Nance's hot mustard. Have to say it was the best submarine I ever had!
    Wegman's supposedly builds their subs the same way that the DiBella's sub shop in Rochester does (at least thats what the sign in the restaurant says). I prefer Dibella's, but you couldn't beat the convenience of also picking up a sub after getting your groceries at Wegman's.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/03/15 18:33:32 (permalink)
    Wegman's just seems to do everything in an exceptional manner. Whether you buy their sandwiches, their baked goods, their fresh fish, their meat or their produce, they just seem to be better at what they do than almost all other food retailers. I would rate Whole Foods pretty much their equal, although I always think that the fish at Whole Foods looks a little "tired" in comparison with Wegman's fish.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/03/16 10:05:12 (permalink)
    Subs - MMMMMMM. Something that is definitely done better up in your parts than down here. Liked Wegman's when I lived up that way for a while.

Our counterpart quality chain is Publix, and they make one of the better subs you can find in the South. Like how they dress subs upp North with oil and vinegar, peppers, etc. Down here, everyone just likes to load them up in mayo - UGH!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1596
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/03/19 18:37:12 (permalink)
    <<I prefer Dibella's, but you couldn't beat the convenience of also picking up a sub after getting your groceries at Wegman's.>>

Only problem with the "convenience" of picking up a sub at Wegman's, at least at the 2 in NJ I've been to, is that if there's even a few people ahead of you, the wait is endless. The local NJ sub shops do a much better job of the assembly line process.

Plus there's that cockamamie setup your cart stays in one place, you get the sub in another place, you pay in a third place, and then look for your wife who is in yet another place because she wanted the Asian food. Chaos. ---Ken
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/01 20:37:23 (permalink)
    I've never been to a Wegmans making a road trip down to Va. My wife is a grocery manager for a large chain is it worth stopping there. Is there anything they do special that we must try? Thanks for the info. Chow Jim
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/01 23:16:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I've never been to a Wegmans making a road trip down to Va. My wife is a grocery manager for a large chain is it worth stopping there. Is there anything they do special that we must try? Thanks for the info. Chow Jim

It's all pretty good. They have gorgeous chocolates. And cheese curds! They're not all that fresh, but you just don't see stuff like that around here (Virginia). They're back in the cheese section.

And oh my God, they have New England hot dog buns!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/02 09:19:35 (permalink)
    The Danny's special sub, with provolone, l/t/o/peppers, and oregano oil/vinegar. Take that son of a gun home, wrap it in foil and bake the heck out of it. Nothin' better.

Tom
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/05 01:59:18 (permalink)
    I like their tuna sub, and their new buffalo chicken finger sub .

and I love their fresh baked sub rolls with the sesame seeds on them...
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/09 07:40:44 (permalink)
    We are on LI where there are no Wegman's but my son went to summer camp in Pennsylvania and the counsellors brought the kids Wegman's subs and my son wrote a letter home about them! One of three letters we got the WHOLE SUMMER! When I picked him up at the bus after 8 weeks the first thing he talked about in the car was the Wegman's sub!

Next time I'm near a Wegman's I'll have to get one for him (and me!)
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/09 08:17:37 (permalink)
    For our area, Wegman's is a chef and foodie's dream. When a recipe calls for something you've never seen before---try Wegman's. You always see this grocery chain praised for their variety and the way they treat employees. Bravo!

They have a "food court" with plenty of fresh items (Asian, pizza, fruit bar, salad bar, sushi) that is a worthwhile lunch idea.

The Italian subs are made with good ingredients, but for me lack that oomph---there's something missing. Maybe the cheese isn't sharp enough...or maybe I just need to grill 'em like Mosca?

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5563
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2005/09/12 14:17:27 (permalink)
    When ever ANYONE says, "Wegman's" my mouth salvitates.

Subs...yum

Bread...yum

Pastries...yum

olive bar...yum

even the sushi....yum.

It takes them a while to make the sub, so the line can be slow, but geez, can they make a fine sub!
    jmcho@hotmail.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2006/01/10 14:40:27 (permalink)
    Wegmans has definitely two sites in Virginia -- one near Dulles (across from AOL) and one in Fairfax -- off of Rt 29. The subs are good. Still prefer Gourmet Deli in Gaithersburg, MD and the Deli in Herndon, VA -- both run by proud New Yorkers.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2006/01/10 22:24:00 (permalink)
    When we ate in the food court of the new Hunt Valley, MD Wegmans, we enjoyed the convenience, and it was nice to be able to grab something different for each of us, but the food was pretty mundane. As I recall, I went for the hot food buffet, hubby had a sub, and daughter had a slice of pizza. All was acceptable, but in no way outstanding. And not particularly cheap. Wegmans is one of those places that I'd go to if I wanted fancy cheese, or chocolate, or maybe some of the bakery stuff, but other than that, it's just not high on my list. I can get excellent meats at Costco and BJs, and frankly, they are easier to shop at. The Hunt Valley Wegmans was kind of a zoo when I was there. Having said that, the store was clean and the staff was friendly. But it definitely did not blow my socks off.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2006/01/11 00:45:12 (permalink)
    Have given up on their subs. First time they left off the tomato on my turkey and cheese sub despite sandwich maker repeating my order. Second try was the regular Italian, which if just a regular roll is requested, you get an egg washed challah type roll. Totally wrong for an italian sub. Sorry, I can't eat seeds. Plus the roll is too wide and sandwich was just a mess. Good prices for the whole sub though.

eddiemac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2007/05/16 01:22:14 (permalink)
    As a former long islander, finding wegmans, when I moved here to
    Syracuse almost 2 years ago , has been a blessing. It is the best supermarket, bar none, I've been to. Freindly service, top produce, EXCELLENT subs(or hero's! :) )and a variety of gourmet groceries.
    Daydrmr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Wegman's Old Fashion Submarine Sandwiches 2007/05/16 12:09:08 (permalink)
    Too funny! I just noticed this post. Went out on my lunch break today to Wegman's here in North Syracuse and had a Joey's Sub with l/t/m, hot peppers, provlone on plain roll. Sooooo good. It's huge. I can barely eat half of the sub. Left the rest in the frige for dinner or for lunch tomorrow. Can't beat the price at all. Lunch time during the week is packed with just people going in from their place of business to grab a bite to eat.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1