Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind.

Author
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
2012/11/18 14:59:27 (permalink)

Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind.

The instructions for these weights are online so I'm not saying I'm Mr. Original here but thought maybe some pics might help others out thinking about making these. They are quite easy...I cut PVC into 3 foot sections, bought some end caps and PVC glue, added handles and eye screws and filled with sand. I've attached them to the corners of the pop up tent using bungee cords. I've had close to 20 mph winds and they have held the tent to the ground...it's swayed a bit back and forth but held.  My top tent bars are kind of at a slope so my bungee cords were sliding down them...that's why I made a hook up point using two zip ties.  I realize if a really strong gust came up they might snap but so far so good....      

post edited by djdawg - 2012/11/18 15:17:47

8 Replies Related Threads

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/18 15:20:13 (permalink)
    I'm finding that wind is terrible to work in...especially when the rain starts coming down here in the NW.  I've tried putting a wall up but it just ends up acting like a sail and my whole tent gets pushed sideways....even with the weights on.  Anyone else use walls successfully when the wind is blowing?  We could be getting wind gusts up to 40 mph here tomorrow...no way am I gonna try and sell in that....
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/18 17:35:37 (permalink)
    That's pretty cool. Make sure they don't become projectiles if it gets really windy.
    If the weatherman predicts anything more than 20 mph, I stay home.
    On my web page I got a weather thing. I tell people under what conditions I work.   Go here  www.weatherforyou.com  then go to tools and you can add it.
    www.grampysdawgs.com
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/18 18:50:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Jcheese...yeah it would be pretty tough for them to lift off the ground at all...especially using four of them.  I've never seen one even tip over....the bungee is hung so it's taut yet the weight is still on the ground.  What you don't want to do is have your weight hanging off the ground...they are heavy enough that I'm sure they would damage the tent.

Cool idea on weather!  I have been keeping people updated on whether or not I'll be out using FB but that's a great idea....
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/18 22:13:44 (permalink)
    djdawg

I'm finding that wind is terrible to work in...especially when the rain starts coming down here in the NW.  I've tried putting a wall up but it just ends up acting like a sail and my whole tent gets pushed sideways....even with the weights on.  Anyone else use walls successfully when the wind is blowing?  We could be getting wind gusts up to 40 mph here tomorrow...no way am I gonna try and sell in that....

It's blowing 53mph here at the beach right now, calling for 70mph gusts....

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/19 08:53:46 (permalink)
    why not 5 gal buckets with sand, I heard there is a sale on sand at the beach this week................pnwc
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/20 22:30:13 (permalink)
    We get pretty strong gusts of wind here in Portland.  

I use my cart as a weight and a couple of my larger ice chests.

When i can i will post some pics.

With walls i have had little to no trouble with the wind.   
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/20 23:09:22 (permalink)
    hella good tacos

I take it you are using bungees to your cart. I really didn't want to break out the tent in the wind but if I want to sell this winter it's the only logical way I can figure. Anyone know of a place to get reasonably priced CLEAR sidewalls? 
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Weights for pop up tent with pics...and thoughts about wind. 2012/11/23 00:21:40 (permalink)
    Tristan225

hella good tacos

I take it you are using bungees to your cart. I really didn't want to break out the tent in the wind but if I want to sell this winter it's the only logical way I can figure. Anyone know of a place to get reasonably priced CLEAR sidewalls? 

I am not allowed to use a canopy on the street here, but when i do events i use one of 2 that i own.
    I have a 10X10 ft ez up and a 10.5X20 ft King canopy.

The king canopy is more cumbersome to set up as it's not ment to be used they way i do, but it's heavy and is the perfect size.

I do bungee the canopy to my cart, but i also bungee it to both of my two 3.5 ft long ice chests, and any thing else of significant weight in my space.  I see no need to ring extra weights when i already have a ton of heavy stuff to load and unload.... 

For windy days on the street i use tarp clamps and bungees to keep my umbrella from blowing away.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1