Wendys at it again!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2006/01/13 09:43:22 (permalink)

Wendys at it again!

The high price of tomatoes has Wendy once again asking the Customers to specify if they want Tomatoes on their Burgers.I know the price of tomatoes is 45 bucks a case as I bought a case yesterday.Now I wonder if I should charge extra for tomatoes on my burgers or should I just slice them paper thin and suck up the loss.

30 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 11:05:57 (permalink)
    I would concider what you have been doing all along,a good coustomer base they expect and deserve the same quality of product you are providing. You might want to instruct your staff to ask your guests if tomato is required with the order. Chow Jim
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3732
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 11:38:41 (permalink)
    I don't know, Jim. I think Jellybear is afraid to ask his "welfare mothers" (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10459&SearchTerms=welfare,mothers) to do anything additional that might be construed as work.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 11:58:00 (permalink)
    At our local Culver's they use a technique that I think covers the problem without seeming to dictate to the customer. When you order a burger (or tenderloin) they ask you what you would like on the sandwich. The list of available items is visible right in front of you and you can choose cheese,lettuce,tomato,pickle,onion(raw or grilled),Mayo,Mustard, etc (I am forgetting some). No additional charge for any of those, and the restaurant saves the cost of the items that would be discarded if they were 'automatically' included.

My 'usual' choice is a Breaded and Fried Tenderloin (as opposed to Grilled)or a Jumbo Bacon-Butterburger with double onion and double tomato. On the Burger, but not the Tenderloin I will add cheese also.

I know Culver's isn't alone in doing this, but they are the only FF store in this area that actually Asks for your choices.

BTW You can just say "Everything" and you'll get it all!.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 13:05:44 (permalink)
    I really have never liked tomato on a sandwich of any kind (other than BLT) and always ask to not have them put on. I love them, but I like them by themselves or in a salad.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 13:29:40 (permalink)
    I like tomatoes on almost everything. I am glad spring is on the way and we will plant tomatoes and have them available every day until fall.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 14:23:40 (permalink)
    I saw the sign at the drive thru at wendys saying that you had to request tomato's on your sandwich, the other day, and thought to myself, now thats cheap!
    Not one place that I have been to eat has scrimped or cut off tomato's.
    In fact, I asked for extra tomato's on my salad the other day and no one even blinked!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 14:24:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

I don't know, Jim. I think Jellybear is afraid to ask his "welfare mothers" (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10459&SearchTerms=welfare,mothers) to do anything additional that might be construed as work.

Ohhhhhhhhh.. dont make me read that post again and get angry AGAIN!
    Grrrrrrrrrr
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 16:13:07 (permalink)
    I don't know about the Wendy's thing, but I know tomatoes were scarce here in KY this past summer --- most of us who had crops for personal use found the yield quite paltry even though we tended to them. They just didn't grow. The plants would flower, but many of the tomatoes remained green or rotted off the vine. Same with the pumpkins.

Andrea
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/13 16:46:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

I don't know about the Wendy's thing, but I know tomatoes were scarce here in KY this past summer --- most of us who had crops for personal use found the yield quite paltry even though we tended to them. They just didn't grow. The plants would flower, but many of the tomatoes remained green or rotted off the vine. Same with the pumpkins.

Andrea

Well, after the hurricanes hit the South Florida tomato fields very hard, I had expected the prices to go sky high, but still, having to request a slice of tomato on a sandwich or salad just irks me...
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/14 02:12:35 (permalink)
    I would bet there are people who still request the tomato, and then complain because it is is mealy, watery, and tasteless.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/14 02:35:39 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I love tomatoes on burgers, chicken sandwiches, pork tenderloin sandwiches, almost anything.
    Once, none charged extra for tomatoes, but in the last 3 or so years, I find places charging
    extra for the tomatoes. Usually the quality is not good, or they are cut paper thin or so small
    in size that two slices fit on half the burger or chicken sandwich. As a consumer, this is
    just another thing that raises my frustration level and lowers my satisfaction of the product.
    Jellybear, if you can, maintain your quality and give decent slices of good tomatoes. Don't
    join the herd because Wendy's or Burger King is doing something.
    If cost demand it, charge 10 or 15 cents extra, for a decent slice or two of tomatoes, but let the
    customer know it.
    I wonder, if the price of beef, chicken, bread, pickles, lettuce, etc. goes down for a month or so,
    or a season even, do you drop the menu prices accordingly?
    So many business have gotten hit hard by natural disasters and have to raise prices, but it seems
    the prices never go down in an equal amount when life gets back to normal.
    And right now, we are getting produce from the southern hemisphere, where the hurricanes did not hit,
    nor do I believe, did hurricane katrina hit california.
    Jellybear, I know you are having to pay out of your nose for your products. You are a victim of
    a screwy economic mindset just as much as we who purchase your food. Something just isn't right.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/14 12:21:40 (permalink)
    I have found a roadside vendor that has Tomatoes for 25 dollars a case.Also fresh collards,sqush,zuccinni and just about everything else.That supplier I used is about to shoot himself in the foot.Its just that we have used him for thirty years and Hes a Good Friend that I still use him.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/14 13:37:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

I have found a roadside vendor that has Tomatoes for 25 dollars a case.Also fresh collards,sqush,zuccinni and just about everything else.That supplier I used is about to shoot himself in the foot.Its just that we have used him for thirty years and Hes a Good Friend that I still use him.

Then he should understand that you also need to cut back somewhere and buy the cheaper veggies, knowing that you will be coming back to him once prices do stabilize. If he is that good of a friend, he will understand.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/14 17:28:45 (permalink)
    One Wendy's in town has the sign up. One does not. Both are owned by the same person. *twilight zone music plays*
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/16 16:59:31 (permalink)
    I don't like tomatos unless they are in sauce or catsup, so I guess it does not effect me unless they start charging extra for catsup.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/16 21:35:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by octopus

I don't like tomatos unless they are in sauce or catsup, so I guess it does not effect me unless they start charging extra for catsup.

It would be interesting to check that..
    SOmetimes a slight un-noticeable penny increase is all it takes..
    Interesting point though...One never thinks about that.. And the trickle down effect, like paste, sauce, stewed, anything canned. But they probably get those out of country..
    I dont know.. LOL
    I was just kinda rambling on out loud here!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/17 13:58:44 (permalink)
    quote:

Same here. I'll eat tomatoes just about any way possible except raw, with the exception of pico de gallo. I just can't stand the taste of a raw tomato.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/17 15:39:12 (permalink)
    I am so glad to know that someone else has the same feelings about tomatos as I do. I use tomatos in cooking, but the thought of a tomato sandwich sounds like the worse thing possible
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

Same here. I'll eat tomatoes just about any way possible except raw, with the exception of pico de gallo. I just can't stand the taste of a raw tomato.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/17 19:28:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I am so glad to know that someone else has the same feelings about tomatos as I do. I use tomatos in cooking, but the thought of a tomato sandwich sounds like the worse thing possible.
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

Ooooooooh... Sliced juicy Jersey beefsteak tomato sandwich on white bread with miracle whip!
    LOL.................
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/17 19:48:56 (permalink)
    I know this ain't original but this is some comments from others:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1053&SearchTerms=tomatoes

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/17 20:00:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I know this ain't original but this is some comments from others:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1053&SearchTerms=tomatoes

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We had better stop (ha ha), (snicker snicker)....
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/18 17:24:00 (permalink)
    I'm sorry but at this time of year they are not really tomatoes. They have a greater crash rating than the bumpers of our car's bumpers and taste about the same.

Eat tomatoes when they are in season. Our catering customers get pissed when I refuse to provide tomatoes in NC in January...DUH...go pick one genius.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/18 18:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

I'm sorry but at this time of year they are not really tomatoes. They have a greater crash rating than the bumpers of our car's bumpers and taste about the same.

Eat tomatoes when they are in season. Our catering customers get pissed when I refuse to provide tomatoes in NC in January...DUH...go pick one genius.

Uh, ya mean those little red golf balls that are in the tomato area of the produce section?
    Yum, me love fresh steel! Or fiberglass depending on your vehicle!
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/20 13:22:04 (permalink)
    I'm wondering if this tomato on request business is a local franchisee's decision. Fresh produce doesn't get much more expensive than here in Massachusetts in January, but tomato slices were automatic at my nearby Wendy's the other day.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/20 15:01:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I'm wondering if this tomato on request business is a local franchisee's decision. Fresh produce doesn't get much more expensive than here in Massachusetts in January, but tomato slices were automatic at my nearby Wendy's the other day.

It very well could be. I just saw an Arbys with the same sign. And both those FFR are in Topsham/Brunswick area here in Maine.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/20 19:09:26 (permalink)
    Continued from another Wendy's thread:

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys4.gif

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys5.gif

http://www.geocities.com/bf109k4/wendys6.gif

I'll try to get the chili stuff rescanned soon. Pic's need to be resized slightly to read properly. I am sure 'yall know how to do that.

P.S. NOTE size of tomato slice, etc.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/24 17:56:29 (permalink)
    Well, in todays news the Tomato Crisis ($4 bucks a lb.) is over. Crops destroyed in Florida by the hurricanes have been replaced and are now producing the fruit.. Prices should drop within the next few days...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/01/24 19:25:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Well, in todays news the Tomato Crisis ($4 bucks a lb.) is over. Crops destroyed in Florida by the hurricanes have been replaced and are now producing the fruit.. Prices should drop within the next few days...

Horray!.. Now if they would just look decent enough to buy, much less eat!
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Wendys at it again! 2006/02/02 02:02:17 (permalink)
    I for one prefer to specify which toppings I get on my sandwich, rather than take a pre-determined set of toppings. In fact, most Wendy's I have been in ask what you want on your sandwich...this was true even in the early days when Dave Thomas started the chain. Much like Burger King's "Have it your way" campaign, it allowed the customer some control over how their sandwich was prepared. Wendy's had a salad/works bar for a while, but most if not all the the restuarants have dropped that.
    I always order my Single with just pickle and onion...at one time I liked my burgers with tomato, mayo and other toppings...but I want the choice, and if the tomato is poor quality it detracts from the burger rather than enhancing it. I remember when most burger places charged 10-15 cents extra for putting tomato and lettuce on a sandwich..I would hope not to go back to that, esp when it is poor quality.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1