Wendy's finger food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1687
2005/03/28 11:45:58 (permalink)

Wendy's finger food

Sorry Wendy's it was a scam all along so I'm removing my first post.
It's not funny when a huge American food company as Wendy's loses Millions of $$$$$$$$$ and perhaps having to lay off several workers because of the criminal actions of a low life SOB...........
I live in San Jose........ and I pass this Wendy's often ...it's parking lot is empty.
I never eat at this type of restaurant but in solidarity I will stop there the next time I'm in the neighborhood .............. Frank C.

30 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/03/28 18:27:30 (permalink)
    Some how, I don't think Wendy's OFH will ever live this down. On the other hand (ha!!... get it...(?) ), they might be soon offering a "Chili-Fingers & Cheese Baked Potato"... Hey, they might even start offering "tapas". A good slogan for this may be: "You need to quit tapin' your fingers. Enjoy Wendy's new Tapas today. Wendy's Tapas: The ultimate finger food."

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/03/29 02:15:09 (permalink)
    I thought it was a different place that was "finger lickin' good".
    sizz
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/03/29 09:54:23 (permalink)
    Can you imagine what kind of money this lawsuit will bring to the supposed victims? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ millions. For some unexplainable reason I don't believe these people. I just bet that this is a scam. ............... I cant see how a worker loosing a finger in a food processing operation would not come forward for his own disability lawsuit. And the first thing any emergency room would ask from a patient that just severed his finger would be "where's the finger???" for it could be grafted back on. ................. My money says this finger came from Mexico and was planted in the chili........... "and that's the way it was going west"....... lol
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/03/29 15:29:25 (permalink)
    SAN JOSE
    Finding finger in chili 'disgusting'
    Woman recounts distaste at biting into human remain at Wendy's
    - Alan Gathright, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Tuesday, March 29, 2005

A woman recounted on national TV Monday her revulsion at discovering she'd chomped on a human finger in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's last week, while her newly hired attorney began exploring a possible settlement with the restaurant.

"Just knowing that there was a human remain in my mouth ... it is disgusting. It is tearing me apart inside," Anna Ayala told ABC News' "Good Morning America" as Santa Clara County investigators continued efforts to determine whom the fingertip belonged to.

The Las Vegas woman, who was visiting San Jose relatives during the dining ordeal last Tuesday, told ABC she'd crumbled crackers into a bowl of chili and was just digging in.

"Suddenly, I chew something that's kind of hard, crunchy,'' she said. "I spit it out. At first I wasn't sure what it was. We started investigating and poking it, (with) other people, too. That's when we find there's something that looks like a nail.

"There's no words to describe what I felt, what was going through me," said Ayala, who lost her lunch after the discovery. "I mean, it is something that's -- my God, it is sick.''

Ayala's San Jose attorney, Jeffrey Janoff, said he had contacted the Wendy's franchise's insurance company Monday to notify it that his client had a claim. He said that no formal legal proceeding had begun and that a lawsuit might not be filed if a settlement could be reached.

But he said Ayala had endured "a great emotional trauma. She's having difficulty eating, keeping food down, sleeping.'' Janoff is representing five other diners eating chili at the San Jose restaurant and who were sitting with or near Ayala at the time the finger was found.

The owner of the Wendy's franchise, JEM Management Corp. of Fresno, did not return phone calls Monday for comment.

A Wendy's corporate spokesman said franchise officials had eagerly cooperated with Santa Clara County officials and awaited the results of the investigation into how the mysterious finger fragment wound up in the chili.

"It's very important to us to find out the truth, what did happen,'' said Wendy's spokesman Denny Lynch. He stressed that there had been no severed- finger accidents among the employees at the San Jose Wendy's or the chain's chili suppliers. The reporting of such an industrial accident is required by federal law.

Meanwhile, county investigators plan to run a fingerprint of the 1-inch finger segment through law enforcement databases on the chance that its owner is among the millions of criminals, immigrants, teachers and other professionals who are required to provide fingerprints. Public health officials are also double-checking the supply chain of the chili ingredients to see whether a worker might have a severed digit.

Authorities have backed off initial statements that the finger was fully cooked with the chili. Now, they hope crime laboratory testing will yield clues about whether it was cooked -- or possibly slipped into the stew later in the preparation process.

While at least two dozen people have called the county with questions about Wendy's and the chili, public health officers say the risk is extremely low that someone could be sickened by the finger-tainted batch.

E-mail Alan Gathright at agathright@sfchronicle.com.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/03/29 15:57:18 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Wendy's Classic double-digit burger. If you get a burger with five fingers at Wendy's, it called a Handburger. You can also order it with toe cheese, if you want.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/03 00:09:13 (permalink)
    I used to work at Wendy's.

There is no way someone could lose a finger making the chili, save for opening the cans: tomato sauce, beans & tomato chunks. The meat is the burned/broken hamburgers that sit in hot water on the back of the grill. You chop it up with a spatula & with a big bag of frozen onions & celery pieces, that is their chili. My dog could make it.

The finger could have come from one of their distributors of the canned stuff, or more likely, she planted it.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/03 13:15:24 (permalink)
    "or more likely, she planted it..."

Oh well. @ least it didn't "grow". Plan to submit "correct" Wendy's chili making process from my OPS manual, soon.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/05 22:14:27 (permalink)
    LOL

Wendy's Chili Recipe:

1) Open cans

2) Try not to cut off finger during step one.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/08 16:49:38 (permalink)
    quote:

The finger could have come from one of their distributors of the canned stuff, or more likely, she planted it.

Hey, you really are a detective...

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=3184202&nav=3w6oYRLr

It seems the police are now pointing a finge...well...just read the news story.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/10 23:01:10 (permalink)
    This is one of those things that I *wanted* to be right about. I love Wendy's food & won't stop eating there. $2.08 for dinner? You can't beat that with a stick!
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/11 02:11:08 (permalink)
    Did anyone else see the segment(!) about this on FOX News? Seems that this woman has done this type of thing severql times already...on the clip(!) it showed, her daughter was also standing there with her arm in a sling. The mother says that when the police came in to search the house, they busted in with guns drawn, and threw her and the daughter to the floor, thus injuring the daughter's arm.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/11 08:22:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by queenb

Did anyone else see the segment(!) about this on FOX News? Seems that this woman has done this type of thing severql times already...on the clip(!) it showed, her daughter was also standing there with her arm in a sling. The mother says that when the police came in to search the house, they busted in with guns drawn, and threw her and the daughter to the floor, thus injuring the daughter's arm.

They have those commercials for lawyers on TV where people who win cases are saying things like "I won, and I never win anything"...it is like an alternate lottery system for some people! I thought this sounded fake from the get go.
    sizz
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/14 11:43:36 (permalink)
    New twist in finger fiasco

WOMAN THINKS DIGIT FOUND AT WENDY'S IS ONE LOST TO LEOPARD

By Linda Goldston

Mercury News

The chili finger saga got a little murkier Wednesday.

In one of the strangest twists yet, a Nevada woman said she thinks the partial finger found in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's three weeks ago is the same finger bitten off her hand by a pet spotted leopard on Feb. 23.

The only problem is Sandy Allman doesn't know how the finger made it from Nevada to San Jose, her attorney said.

``The last place she saw her finger and waved goodbye to her finger was in a plastic bag in what used to be ice in the emergency room of Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas,'' said Philip Sheldon, an Encino attorney who said he is a 20-year friend of Allman.

``They said to her, `what do you want to do with the finger?' '' Sheldon said. ``She said `the finger is infected, you can't re-attach it and I don't want a souvenir.' ''

And the only problem with that -- one of many problems police are having with the case -- is that Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center has no record of a partial finger being left in its emergency room, said hospital spokeswoman Glenda McCartney.

``We do have a record of her being treated at the hospital,'' McCartney said. ``She was treated on Feb. 23 and released.''

However, she said, ``there is no record that the patient presented with a detached digit.'' She declined to say more, citing a federal medical privacy law.

The woman who said she found a fingertip in a bowl of Wendy's chili while dining in South San Jose on March 22 did not answer the phone at her Las Vegas home. On Tuesday, 39-year-old Anna Ayala decided not to pursue any legal action against Wendy's, saying the publicity has traumatized her and her family.

Ayala's decision came on the same day the Mercury News learned of Allman's accident which cost her the tip of a middle finger in Pahrump, which is about 60 miles west of Las Vegas.

Sheldon said he would bet his reputation that Allman is not involved with the case in any way, except for her finger.

``I've known this woman for 20 years,'' he said. ``She lives in a trailer in the middle of Pahrump, Nev. . . . with at least 17 dogs and I don't know how many cats. She never heard Anna Ayala's name until your newspaper called.''

Sheldon said Allman is willing to give a DNA sample and will cooperate with police. San Jose police did talk to Allman on Wednesday afternoon but did not ask her for a DNA sample, he said.

Police declined to discuss any details of the case that began when Ayala -- a former San Jose resident who now lives in Las Vegas -- said she found a human finger in her chili.

Five investigators are tracking down leads from across the country.

``We're exploring several avenues of investigation simultaneously,'' Capt. Dave Keneller said Wednesday. ``I can't comment any further because it could compromise the ongoing investigation.''

Keneller declined to say whether police will ask Allman for a DNA sample to compare with the chunk of finger found in the chili.

The Mercury News reported Tuesday that a leopard named Anthony bit off part of Allman's finger while she was preparing to turn over the exotic cat and other animals to a rescue group from an exotic animal sanctuary based just outside San Antonio.

Carol Asvestas, director of the Wild Animal Orphanage, called the Mercury News after first calling a tips hotline established by Wendy's.

Asvestas had gone to Allman's to rescue some exotic animals, including Anthony the leopard.

Allman was showing the animals to Asvestas and several other people when she turned ``and Anthony decided he wanted lunch,'' Sheldon said. ``He bit off part of her finger.''

``They then take this finger, put it on ice in a plastic bag and take it to whatever medical center in Pahrump,'' he said. ``They said you have to go to Las Vegas. She was transported to Mountain View Hospital in Las Vegas by ambulance. They look at it and say, `we can't re-attach it, maybe you should go to Sunrise Hospital.' ''

By then, he said, too much time had passed and it was no longer possible to successfully reattach the finger because the risk of infection was too great.

Allman had seen television news accounts of the finger found in a bowl of chili but had not paid attention to the name of the woman who found it, Sheldon said.

But on Wednesday, when Allman saw a picture of the finger found in the chili on television, she realized it most likely was hers, he said. Police say the Wendy's finger is 1 1/2 inches long and Sheldon said Allman's detached digit was three-quarters of an inch long.

Otherwise, ``it was a manicured finger, she manicures her nails,'' he said. ``We also know it wasn't cleanly cut, it was punctured.''

``I'm dying for police to do the DNA,'' Sheldon said. ``Once we know it's Sandy's finger, then the real question becomes: How did the finger get there? The answer is who knows somebody at Sunrise Hospital?''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mercury News staff writer Sandra Gonzales contributed to this report. Contact Linda Goldston at lgoldston@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5862.

email this print this reprint or license this

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/22 08:51:59 (permalink)
    Here is the latest:

Woman in Wendy's Finger Case Arrested

Apr 22, 7:37 AM (ET)

By CHRISTINA ALMEIDA
    LAS VEGAS (AP) - The woman who claimed she found a finger in her bowl of Wendy's chili last month has been arrested, the latest twist in a bizarre case about how the 1 1/2-inch finger tip ended up in a bowl of fast food.

Anna Ayala was taken into custody late Thursday at her Las Vegas home, police said. Authorities would not provide details until a news conference Friday in San Jose, Calif. - the city where Ayala claimed she bit down on the finger in a mouthful of her steamy stew.

Ayala's 18-year-old son, Guadalupe Reyes, said he had gone to the store around 9 p.m. when he got a phone call from a friend who was back at the Las Vegas home. "We rushed back and she was already gone," Reyes said. Reyes said he had no other details and was waiting to hear from his mother.

Ohio-based Wendy's International Inc. did not immediately return a call Friday.

Ayala's claim that she found the finger tip, complete with a well-manicured nail, on March 22 initially drew sympathy. But when police and health officials failed to find any missing digits among the workers involved in the restaurant's supply chain, suspicion fell on Ayala, and her story has become a late-night punch line.

Ayala hired a lawyer and filed a claim against the Wendy's franchise owner, Fresno-based JEM Management. But after police searched her home in Las Vegas and continued to question her family, she dropped the lawsuit threat, saying the whole situation was just too stressful. "Lies, lies, lies, that's all I am hearing," Ayala said after police started questioning her."They should look at Wendy's. What are they hiding? Why are we being victimized again and again?"

As it turns out, Ayala has a litigious history. She has filed claims against several corporations, including a former employer and General Motors, though it is unclear from court records whether she received any money. She said she got $30,000 from El Pollo Loco after her 13-year-old daughter got sick at one of the chain's Las Vegas-area restaurants. El Pollo Loco officials say she did not get a dime.

Earlier Thursday, Wendy's International Inc. announced it had ended its internal investigation, saying it could find no credible link between the finger and the restaurant chain.

Sales have dropped at franchises in Northern California, forcing layoffs and reduced hours, the company said. Wendy's also has hired private investigators, set up a hot line for tips and offered a $100,000 reward for anyone who provides information leading to the finger's original owner.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/22 16:59:20 (permalink)
    From the SF Chronicle:
    quote:
    The great chili con finger caper reached the boiling point as the woman who said she found the severed digit in her Wendy's meal was charged with trying to fleece the fast-food chain.

Anna Ayala, 39, was arrested at her Las Vegas home Thursday night on a charge of felony attempted grand theft, including a penalty enhancement for inflicting more than $2.5 million in losses on Wendy's. The chain says its sales have plummeted since Ayala reported chomping down on a bit of severed finger in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's one month ago today.

Ayala was also charged with felony grand theft in an unrelated case, for allegedly swindling a Spanish-speaking woman out of $11,000 by "selling" her a San Jose mobile home that Ayala didn't own between September 2002 and November 2003.

Ayala could face more than six years in prison if convicted.

Las Vegas police Sgt. Chris Jones said today that Ayala was being held without bail pending an extradition hearing.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/22 17:21:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

From the SF Chronicle:

quote:
    The great chili con finger caper reached the boiling point as the woman who said she found the severed digit in her Wendy's meal was charged with trying to fleece the fast-food chain.

Anna Ayala, 39, was arrested at her Las Vegas home Thursday night on a charge of felony attempted grand theft, including a penalty enhancement for inflicting more than $2.5 million in losses on Wendy's. The chain says its sales have plummeted since Ayala reported chomping down on a bit of severed finger in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's one month ago today.

Ayala was also charged with felony grand theft in an unrelated case, for allegedly swindling a Spanish-speaking woman out of $11,000 by "selling" her a San Jose mobile home that Ayala didn't own between September 2002 and November 2003.

Ayala could face more than six years in prison if convicted.

Las Vegas police Sgt. Chris Jones said today that Ayala was being held without bail pending an extradition hearing.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what charges are filed after (when & if) origin of finger is found.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/22 17:34:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what charges are filed after (when & if) origin of finger is found.

My guess: it was the finger that satanist on "Revelations" cut off.
    But seriously, the one genuine candidate--a lady whose finger was bitten of by a leopard--was not a DNA match and it appears we may never know from whom the finger came.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/23 10:20:02 (permalink)
    I personally enjoy Wendy's but that has nothing to do with the fact that this lady was a terrorist of a different kind. Apparently the authorities feel that the entire ordeal was a hoax. She caused millions of dollars of damages to a company. Apparently she had a history of litigious activity. The world is better off without this lady and I sincerely hope that lock her up till she is a old lady.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4612
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/23 10:25:52 (permalink)
    Restaurant Professionals,
    Advertising/PR People,
    Customers ...

How well (or how poorly) do you think Wendy's handled the situation ????

Me: I didn't see where they did anything wrong, but they didn't do anything that will go into the business textbooks as right either (ie. they didn't return calls to the media -- as quoted above.)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/23 10:33:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I personally enjoy Wendy's but that has nothing to do with the fact that this lady was a terrorist of a different kind. Apparently the authorities feel that the entire ordeal was a hoax. She caused millions of dollars of damages to a company. Apparently she had a history of litigious activity. The world is better off without this lady and I sincerely hope that lock her up till she is a old lady.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

While I probably felt this entire thing was a hoax from the start, Wendy's in general has gotten so poor in their Quality, Service, & Cleansiness in my area that I haven't been to a Wendy's in well over 5 years. It is a sad day in my book that Wendy's has now joined the ranks of Burger King, KFC, & Pizza Hut.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/23 11:14:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I AGREE! Now if this ....h would have done this to a small mom and pop place, they'd be done... Out of business... Luckily this corporation has the funds to make sure they recover, but the damage, as slanderous as it was has been done.. Hope she enjoys the menu at the gray bar hotel..

wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/25 15:50:26 (permalink)
    The franchisee and his/her employees may not recover so quickly.
    Probably nearby Wendy's too.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/04/25 16:14:46 (permalink)
    Dishonest people will always continue to harm business whether mom and pop or larger instituions. These folks are terrorist thiefs. It disturbs me that they are sometimes successful. They are also con artist.

I was with a business associate in Lexington, KY and this was back in 1977. We were at Cliff Hagens place which at that time was doing well. A nice lady dumped a huge hot cup of coffee directly in the lap of a friend of mine. If you are a male, you can imagine the discomfort that occurred. He suffered for a while but after a drink or two and a couple of weeks of being very nice, the ordeal was over without any litigious affects.

I detest predatory folks looking for monetary opportunities.

I sincerely hope the lady that did the ruse with Wendy's gets the opportunity to cool her heels for a long time in a chilly cell.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    shmuelio
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/05/10 12:00:35 (permalink)
    I never really heard where the piece of finger originally came from and how did the lady get it anyway?
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/05/10 12:58:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shmuelio

I never really heard where the piece of finger originally came from and how did the lady get it anyway?

That remains to be determined...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/05/13 16:39:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

quote:
    Originally posted by shmuelio

That remains to be determined...

Until NOW.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wendy_s_finger
    stricken_detective
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/05/16 02:55:18 (permalink)
    I KNEW IT!!!!

I KNEW ITTTTTTT!!!!

*does Told Ya So Dance*
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2005/05/17 22:47:59 (permalink)
    This woman deserves to do some serious time.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Wendy's finger food 2006/01/18 19:40:38 (permalink)
    Sentence pronounced today. I'd say 9 years is serious time:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10910050/?GT1=7538

Hey, that means a California court got something right!
    Let's hope they don't put them to work in their respective prison kitchens
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1