Hot!West Coast Food Safari: US Hwy 101

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
GotBaddog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 13:20:10 (permalink)
smokestack lightning

Welcome to Roadfood. If you read the entire thread you will see I have already made the comments about In and Out and Foster's Freeze. You will find many different views and tastes here. Some people are interested in revisiting the places they are nostalgic for regard;less of whether they are chains or mediocre.

You will also find people who think Roadfood has to be cheap, and are not interested in much beyoind burgers, dogs, pizza, etc.

In California, sushi, Mexican food, Asian food, etc is much more interesting than chains for dipped cones that can be found anywhere.

Just my opinion.

I apologize. I did not know it was against the rules or inappropriate to make a comment that might agree with, or even use some of the same words of a previous poster. I will try to keep that in mind.

Now, what about the second part of my post? Anyone care to answer those questions. As a native, I might be able to assist.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8401
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 13:33:21 (permalink)
Hello again, BigBadDog.

Glad you came back.

Don't worry about it.  As I said above I have memories of my father taking me to Foster's Freeze.  Once in awhile that warrants a visit! 

There are a lot of touchy people here that think their way is the only way.  Read it and grin!  Then post what you want!

I think that they're talking around Central California which leaves us out.

One of these days a group will realize the virtues of some Southern California foods.

I've been trying a few of the local(ish) Korean restaurants and wish they were priced a bit lower.  The tastes are wonderful.

If you like fried calamari, I will now tout J. Nichols Kitchen in Marina del Rey.  Gladstone's has good calarami and She Crab soup, but that's it.

Now for calamari steaks....  No one does it better than Casablanca in Santa Monica.

Back to the Central Coast...  if you're on Interstate 5 in the city of Buttonwillow there is a truck at one of the exits (Maybe there is only one exit) that serves outstanding pupusas.  The owners also have a brick and mortar place up the street, but I find the truck food more endearing. 

Stick around and visit the other forums.  We all don't bite.  (I do at times because I just can't help myself)
GotBaddog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 14:01:16 (permalink)
Thanks Mar. I have been extremely active on numerous boards since 2000 or early 2001. I am think skinned, but thanks.

As far as fried calamari is concerned, I have only had it once that I liked and that was in Tempe, AZ. I will admit that I have never had a calamari steak, but that is due to the fact that I don't like it fried and when I do sushi, I just do not like raw octopus. Too chewy.

Anyone doing a food tour of CA should try our taco trucks. They are the bomb.

post edited by GotBaddog - 2011/12/06 14:02:18
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 14:42:21 (permalink)
GotBaddog

Santa Cruz has a really nice Italian restaurant, Caffe Lucio. Good food, very entertaining atmosphere and very nice Tiramisu.

I know I am the new guy here, but suggesting Foster's Freeze and In and Out for a food safari? Seriously? I thought the goal was to avoid chains. I know it is always my goal.

As far as doing 101, do you mean 101 or HWY 1, with 101 when necessary? If so, what are the most north and south you would want to do? How long do you want to spend at it?

Howdy...

Welcome to the discussion...

Don't worry about what you can (or can't) say...say what ever you like...

Some folks have mentioned some of their favorites, and there are those who totally look down their nose at ANY mention of anything they don't personally "approve of"...but we find it best to ignore those chuckleheads because nothing we say will ever meet their lofty standards...and that type of ego person will denigrate others accusing them of only eating burgers and dogs...and that type of negativity is not needed on a road trip

As mentioned, there ARE folks here that will occassionally at a FF place...it the rural parts of our state, sometimes thats all you can find, and sometimes we go there by choice...which certainly does not mean you deserve to be cursed...

Thanks for the suggestion for Santa Cruz...are you in that area...???  Do you listen to KPIG...???

Any other suggestions...???

MAR:  it's not just for "Central Calif"...

I'm the guy that started this topic...and my concept was to start at the very southern end of US Hwy 101, and go north...how far ???  At least to the Oregon border, perhaps to the Canadian border...

Besides suggestions for places to eat, and sights to see, other ideas are welcome...

I was thinking of 1 week, or 10 days...this is undetermined at this point...much (for me) depends on budget for lodging, time availability, how many places are suggested to eat at or visit...

Yes, we can all do a fast and furious trip...but that is less than ideal...so interested folks might want to chime in as to how many miles a day they're comfortable driving, and how much they can eat in 1 day...some areas with a high concentration of places will require more time...other areas (such as the North Coast, where I live) will be sparse and spread out so more miles between eats...

So far no idea about group or individual lodging, or carpooling...I've been involved in Ham Radio expeditions, and recreational group events, but the concept of a " Food Safari" is something I've not tried but have been thinking about...I like travel, I like to eat, I like to sleep, I like to take photo's...so why not combine it all...???
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/12/06 14:47:58
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 16:00:28 (permalink)
Early to mid Spring time is the best for me...I have obligations the rest of the year...

The 808 California miles figure I have has a disclaimer that this number does not include some portions given over to other agencies for maintenence...

I just saw a Calif Gold segment that was covering the Imperial Beach area (next to the US-Mexican border...that area has been upgrading it's image and facilities (it used to have a rather seedy reputation)...this was part of Huell Howser's "5 Corners (of California)" series he did for his TV show...

Googling "Us Hwy 101" brings up a bunch of sites, including "US Hwy 101 dot Com"  which also has listings for food and lodging...

I saw a segment on TV about the 5 cent (Nickel) Diner in LA...MAR when are you going to "bird-dog" this for us...???

So...starting at Imperial Beach and heading north...to Brookings, OR...or all the way to the Canadian border...???

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 16:33:38 (permalink)
@GotBaddog ~ Don't even blink. Just keep posting whatever you want. We're all interested in whatever you have to offer. Regardless if it might be redundant. Speaking for myself, I'm not a "proofreader".
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/06 19:37:06 (permalink)

Some folks have mentioned some of their favorites, and there are those who totally look down their nose at ANY mention of anything they don't personally "approve of"...but we find it best to ignore those chuckleheads because nothing we say will ever meet their lofty standards...and that type of ego person will denigrate others accusing them of only eating burgers and dogs...and that type of negativity is not needed on a road trip

As mentioned, there ARE folks here that will occassionally at a FF place...it the rural parts of our state, sometimes thats all you can find, and sometimes we go there by choice...which certainly does not mean you deserve to be cursed...

First of all, the idea of a forum is opinions. You posted yours. I posted mine.Now you are suggesting ignoring people whose standards are different than yours. No one cares if you choose to go to bad FF restaurants. Be my guest. But be open to people who know about other possibilities suggesting them. Fosters Freeze is a bad FF restaurant regardless of who feels nostalgia about it. there is absolutely nothing distinctive about anything they serve.

You are closed to anything you consider "frou frou" and so are ignoring and missing what makes the area you live in distinctive.

I like dogs and burgers. But I choose better versions and regionally distinctive food. For me that is what roadfood is about. Burgers in Chicago and Oklahoma etc. Crabcakes in Baltimore. Cajun and Creole food in Louisiana.  Thats the focus for me. Not places I remember from my past.

Example for you. Chicago is a great roadfood town. Great hot dogs, char burgers, pizza. BUt just as much a roadfood restaurant is Gene and Georgettis- a great steak place with Chicago specialities like Shrimp DeJonge  and Chicken Vesuvio.  T

Some suggestions for you. Based on what you seem to like.

Petes henny penny at Penngrove exit off 101.

Mikes at the Crossroads petaluma

Carmens Burger Bar Santa Rosa

Tonys Pizza SF

Da Beef cart at 7th and Folsom SF

Although I think the tavern at lark creek and the cafe at Chez Panisse represent California roadfood much better.

Also check out Pupuseria El Salvadorena in Santa Rosa and El Riconcito Yucateco in Santa Rosa

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/07 02:55:40 (permalink)
It's not your suggestions that are alienating people, it's your abject negativity...

I wonder if the Henny Penny in Petaluma has anything to do with the one in Ukiah...???  I remember them in the East Bay in the 1950's / 1960's so perhaps it was a mini franchise...???

As for your most recent suggestions...I only go down to Sonoma County about once or twice a year, and *never* down to S.F.   ....  I just don't have a reason, so perhaps somebody else can try the places you suggest ...

I've a very comfortable country bumpkin up here and eschew large cities...even if it's S.F. ...and my driving is limited due to a back injury, so a casual trip down to SF or even Sonoma County is something I no longer do, especially if it's just for food...I don't like large crowds in general, and those city folks forget to turn the lights out at night (it's 100% pitch black up here when I turn my few lights out)...

I live a semi frontier life that few others can, and even though I was born in the East Bay, and *used* to know SF fairly well, that was many decades ago...I live with bears, mtn lions, deer, eagles, etc 7 miles from the nearest pavement...kind of like a modern Grizzly Adams...so the cities just don't offer me anything but strees, crime, and crowds...and the places I usually travel are also rural by nature...40 year ago I made a proactive choice to avoid cities and urban areas...these areas do not add to my life in any way... 

I save my limited driving adventures to a few larger & special trips, and yes, starting a trip like the one I propose will mean me traveling through urban areas, but for a special trip it's ok because I know my ranch will always be here waiting for me, with all the wild critters right outside my window...

Very few folks can *really* understand and relate to the life I lead, but I sleep very well at night, but...I do not see ANY neighbors lights at night, my ranch is paid for, crime is just about non existant here (we're all well armed up here), I hear no trucks, trains, sirens, horns, and traffic jams keeping me awake at night...most city folks would give their I teeth to live up here (but they're trapped in the cities)...yet I have electricity (both grid and solar) and I can do internet, tinker around butchering wood & welding, and I do a LOT of digital audio & video editing, and I'm still on the air at a radio station, and I still sometimes play with *real* trains...

Life is damn good

Big cities...I just don't need tham anymore...I've had my fill...even the once bucholic Sonoma County is (to me)  city environment punctuated by a few remaining open spaces...so I have little need to leave Mendo-Land...(the greater Santa Rosa is over 100,000 population)

For those that really enjoy the city life, I wish them luck and success...I wish them no ill will...

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/07 17:14:40 (permalink)
are backrhodes and foodbme twins?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/07 18:24:12 (permalink)
When we were out spending time at our vineyard in Healdsburg, going into San Francisco was the last thing we wanted to do. We also loved being "country bumpkins". We had all the city we needed back home in Dallas.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/08 17:02:41 (permalink)
1bbqboy

are backrhodes and foodbme twins?

My long lost sibling...???

Could be, at least on a few levels...

Nice day today...got lots of small projects done...now it's time to drive down the mtn and contemplate what lunch will be...
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/08 17:13:43 (permalink)
@BackRhodes. Do you ever get to Elk?
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Quasi Review... 2011/12/08 17:41:28 (permalink)
A couple of days ago I ate at a place I've not tried before...

In Ukiah, about 1 mile (or less) west of US Hwy 101 is Be Bop's Diner...

Having driven past this place for the last 2 years, I decided to try it today...it's in a round building that most recently was a local bank, but was a drive-in in it's earlier incarnation decades ago...

The booths have tuck & roll metal flake upolstry, and it's been a few decades since I've seen that funny squigly "boomerang pattern" on the formica table tops...

I recognised all the songs on the jukebox...

The place was clean, well lit, with good wait staff...

I had both the Chicken Fried Steak and a hot dog...

The hot dog was not memorable and I'd not want to have another...

On the other hand the smallish CFS was nicely crispy, with good tasting gravy, and the cottage fries were wonderfully crunchy...

The large milk shake was made from hand packed ice cream, and they give the the remnants in the mixer can as well...

I saw a group of young folks come in, and one went for the Belly Buster challenge...a 3 pound hamburger stacked a foot high...FREE if a person can eat it and the fries within 1/2 hour...the contestant did not make it...he was just a few bites away from winning (only 5 persons have succeeded so far)...

I noticed one of the kids in his young 20's wiggling his body to the rhythms of Bill Haley (& the Comets) on the jukebox...and I *always* enjoy hearing Chuck Berry on *any* jukebox...ya just can't go wrong listening to Chuck...

You can sometimes see aircraft on "final approach" and getting ready to land at the Ukiah airport by looking out the eastern windows...

Would I go back again...???

YES...You bet...!!!

I'd rate it a 7 out of 10...(I've been there only once, so far)...

It's at 1200 So State St just south of the intersection with Talmage, about 1 mile west of US Hwy 101

I tried to write a review about this place and I got an email from Bruce Blimes that said, in part:

Hi John, thank you for submitting Be-Bop's Diner to Roadfood.com.  Before we can consider your submission for publication on the website, you'll need to make the following changes or additions:

•       You gave the restaurant a relatively low rating.  We aim to post only the best of the best at Roadfood.com.
•       The Average Price field must be entered.

And my REPLY:

Howdy...

I'm not sure how my rating scale jives with others...I thought it was a fairly good and reasonable rating for my 1st time there, and it would be totally dishonest to give it the top rave review rating unless I felt it was just absolutrely spectacular...

For me ,it's a GOOD average place...and the bottom line is that I *will* go back again...I'd rate it around 7 on a scale of 10...

Perhaps y'all might want to rethink your rating system...if you allow ONLY the best of the best (as you say) then that is a skewed result and perhaps not an ACCURATE reflection of the experience...You're creating an artificial sense that everything posted is fabulous, when in reality we know that medium ratings are certainly no insult...

What IS the point of having multiple choice ratings if you summerily dismiss all but the top ones...??? IMHO that is just plain goofey...the object of a REAL review is an honest evaluation, not one articifially peppered with nothing but superlatives that might not be warranted...

Can you dig it...???

For those that want a good laugh, check out The Simpson's episode where Homer is a food critic...

I don't know their "average price"...all I know is what I paid for the meal I ate...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/12/08 17:47:51
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/08 23:46:03 (permalink)
BackRhodes

It's not your suggestions that are alienating people, it's your abject negativity...

I wonder if the Henny Penny in Petaluma has anything to do with the one in Ukiah...???  I remember them in the East Bay in the 1950's / 1960's so perhaps it was a mini franchise...???

It is not negativity. Its my opinion of the places you suggested. Again, it is my opinion of what interesting roadfood is. I do not care at all about your views of cities, lifestyles, etc. Not my business.

What I am inbterested in is roadfood. Interesting regionally distinctive roadfood. As long as you make suggestions I will make comments.

Pets henny penny is an independent coffe shop with good food and a few greek dishes. 

Not much interesting roadfood in the area where you live. Some in Eureka. A few good places in the town of Mendocino. 

Enjoy what you like. But maybe you will learn something if you are more open to new ideas.

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 00:43:38 (permalink)
It's not up to another person to pronounce what I need to learn...this implies that your knowledge is superior and mine is inferior...which is far from the case...you are not my teacher, mentor, guide, and certainly not my conscious...

You are not obligated to make comments about everything that is typed...

And nobody is forcing  you to read this thread, are they...???

Please don't be a meglemaniac...

While you might have good suggestions to offer, try using some social graces and tact...

Thanks for the info about the Petaluma Henny Penny...where is it...???

IF I ever get down there to see an old friend, I might look it up...I just don't get south of Ukiah very often...

Yes, to those accustomed to a wider selection of places to eat, my area is thin in that regard...but that's just how life is out here in the "deep boonies"... I didn't move here because of epicurian delights...

BTW...I saw a bobcat tonight on the way home...THAT's why I live here...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/12/09 00:48:50
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 00:48:47 (permalink)
[quote=BackRhodes]

It's not up to another person to pronounce what I need to learn...this implies that your knowledge is superior and mine is inferior...which is far from the case...you are not my teacher, mentor, guide, and certainly not my conscious...

You are not obligated to make comments about everything that is typed...

Thanks for the info about the Petaluma Henny Penny...where is it...???

IF I ever get down there to see an old friend, I might look it up...I just don't get south of Ukiah very often...

Yes, to those accustomed to a wider selection of places to eat, my area is thin in that regard...but that's just how life is out here in the "deep boonies"... I didn't move here because of epicurian delights...

Actaully sorry but if you post opinions in a public forum people will comment.

Apparently about roadfood my knowledge is greater. You know very few newer restaurants and are not open to exploring anything oither than a narrow group of choices.

Petes henny penny is at the Penngrove exit off 101. Mikes at the Crossroads is great and not far from there.

I have lived in Northern California for 30 years. Exploring restaurants the whole time. I know Medocino and Humbolt well.

post edited by smokestack lightning - 2011/12/09 00:50:03
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 00:57:01 (permalink)
I've tried to use restraint with you...but here again, in your last post your EGO is showing again...

Hey folks, this guy know more than anybody else...all bow down and hail this superior intellect...

UNDERSTAND THIS: there is NOTHING WRONG with my choices, inspite of your self appointed pronouncement(s)...

I did not start this thread to get into a keyboard war with a jerk, yet, here you are...IF this thread and of my choice (s) offends you so, then WHY do you keep coming back here...???

If I could, I'd delete this entire thread just to shut your ego driven diatribe up... 

Grow up...IF that's possible...!!!

post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/12/09 01:00:44
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 01:23:53 (permalink)
Twinwillow

No...I don't even get over to Boonville much...

I do, however, remember somebody saying something about Elk...

Was that you...???

What would you suggest...???

I might be due for a day trip down there...we call it the "South (Mendocino) Coast"

Are you back in Dallas again...???

Somedays I'm able to drive, others I'm flat on my back, so a trip down there might need more justification, such as taking my still & video cameras in seach of pleasing images, smell the salt air, eat some food, maybe cut back inland on Stewarts Pt Rd...

I was recently thumbing through the restaurant section of my phone book...lots of places to explore, and gasoline is getting cheaper ($3.33.9 in Ukiah)...

Do you know of any places to eat in Point(less) Arena or Gualala...???  I think the Arene Theater is still in business...
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 01:43:08 (permalink)
mar52  Hello again, BigBadDog.

Glad you came back.

Don't worry about it.  As I said above I have memories of my father taking me to Foster's Freeze.  Once in awhile that warrants a visit! 

I'll be enjoying a chocolate dipped cone Saturday at the FF in Lucerne, on my way to the RR yard (we're doing another Santa Train this weekend)...making that stop is also a chance to stretch the legs before heading back on the road...

If you ever make it back out here, check out the burl wood trim in Portola at Jimmy's Roadhouse 70...and if you see a bunch of friendly rednecks wearing overalls, it's just us railroad guys eating beans (a railroad term of eating any meal, such as "time for beans" no matter what the menu is)...
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 16:16:07 (permalink)
BackRhodes

I've tried to use restraint with you...but here again, in your last post your EGO is showing again...

Hey folks, this guy know more than anybody else...all bow down and hail this superior intellect...

UNDERSTAND THIS: there is NOTHING WRONG with my choices, inspite of your self appointed pronouncement(s)...

I did not start this thread to get into a keyboard war with a jerk, yet, here you are...IF this thread and of my choice (s) offends you so, then WHY do you keep coming back here...???

If I could, I'd delete this entire thread just to shut your ego driven diatribe up... 

Grow up...IF that's possible...!!!

Learn the words you are using. 

There is lots wrong with what you have posted. Awful FF chain places.

I will respond to every post you maker if I like. And if you are going to call people names then be a man and set a time and place and do it to my face.

Now you have a war dude.
post edited by smokestack lightning - 2011/12/09 16:17:28
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 20:15:30 (permalink)
BackRhodes

Twinwillow

No...I don't even get over to Boonville much...

I do, however, remember somebody saying something about Elk...

Was that you...??? Yes, I mentioned it a page or two back.

What would you suggest...??? In the middle of town on the east side of the (ocean) road there is a gas station with a small restaurant attached. I think it's owned by two girls.
They specialize in delicious home made soups. Nothing fancy, mind you. Just, good food.

I might be due for a day trip down there...we call it the "South (Mendocino) Coast"

Are you back in Dallas again...??? Yes, unfortunately. I'd rather be in California eating a delicious chocolate dipped Foster's Freeze cone!

Somedays I'm able to drive, others I'm flat on my back, so a trip down there might need more justification, such as taking my still & video cameras in seach of pleasing images, smell the salt air, eat some food, maybe cut back inland on Stewarts Pt Rd...

.Do you know of any places to eat in Point(less) Arena or Gualala...???  I think the Arene Theater is still in business... We used to go to Gualala and Point Arena but I don't remember where we went. Oysters, maybe?

Take care, BackRhodes and keep fighting for what you feel is right. You have a buddy in Dallas!
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/12/09 20:40:30
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 20:36:49 (permalink)
BackRhodes

Also one of the reasons we loved our vineyard. We had a small family of wild turkeys that waked across the deck of our house every night promptly at 5:30PM. The daddy turkey was huge and gorgeous! When I told my vineyard manager, he expressed an interest in making "roadfood" out of the baby wild turkey. I told in no uncertain terms, absolutely not! I loved the jackrabbits and hares that nibbled on our grapes. We had more than enough to go around for all Gods creatures.
We never saw any bobcats until a (rare) deer wandered in our vineyard. Then, a local bobcat made his or, her presence known. Never saw a deer again after that.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 20:50:10 (permalink)
The oysters are real popular around there...Elk (nee Greenwood) is one of those places that's SO easy to drive right through without even knowing it...kinda like Marshall further down the coast...

I have turkeys in my yard most mornings...and we often find feathers on the ground in primo shape...although it's the crows that wake up first...

Time to get my railroad gear together and get outta here and hit the road...snow is very light this year up in the Sierra, and I might take a side trip to Gerlach if I'm feeling up to it... 

LUNAR ECLIPSE TONIGHT (Saturday Morning) 

Starting at 4:45 AM  WEST COAST TIME

Totallity at 6:03 AM

Totallity ends at 6:57AM

Partial eclipse at 7:20 AM at moonset...

I better take my alarm clock with me...it's a digital recording of a rooster crowing when it goes off... 

post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/12/09 20:53:10
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 20:56:26 (permalink)
BackRhodes
And if you see a bunch of friendly rednecks wearing overalls, it's just us railroad guys eating beans (a railroad term of eating any meal, such as "time for beans" no matter what the menu is)... 

We always wanted to do the old train ride in Ft. Bragg but unfortunately, never got around to it. There is a place in Ft. Bragg that smokes their own fish. Fabulous smoked locally caught fish. Do you know it? There was an old bakery around the corner that had a great sign in their window that read: "The Whiter The Bread, The Sooner You're Dead". Haven't had a piece of white bread since!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/09 21:02:02 (permalink)
We usually ate our dinner outside on the back deck. You wouldn't believe the huge size of the vultures circling only about 100 feet above us eyeing our dinner.
I swear I could see the "whites of their eyes".
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/11 21:05:41 (permalink)
Twinwillow

We usually ate our dinner outside on the back deck. You wouldn't believe the huge size of the vultures circling only about 100 feet above us eyeing our dinner.
I swear I could see the "whites of their eyes".

Uh...maybe it's NOT your  food  they're eyeing...but YOU...!!!

Ya better wiggle around every now and then, so they the know yer not dead yet (and available for dinner)

The California & Western (aka The Skunk Train) is a fun train to ride, and sometimes they have special lunches and dinners at Northspur, the half way point between Ft Bragg & Willits...

Both diesel and steam locomotives are used...

I don't know of the bakery you mention, but if I can remember I'll look for it next time I'm in Ft Bragg...

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/15 15:30:23 (permalink)
I was again in Ukiah 2 days ago...and I thought I'd go to the Blue Bird Cafe for a French Dip, 2 blocks south of Be bop's Diner (mentioned above)...

It's now a Mexican place, Espiga De Oro (Golden Flour?) ...the Blue Bird Cafe in Hopland (US Hwy 101) is still open...

I had the 3 taco plate (Carne Asada) with Pico De Gallo and a Mexican Coke...I'd rate it 6 on a scale of 10...average...not a wide ranging menu but they have the basics covered...served quickly (before I could finish the chips and salsa)...

So, lots of places for folks to try along Hwy 101 on MY area...

MAR...what places in your area are worth checking out...???

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8401
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/15 17:06:26 (permalink)
Not neccesarily Roadfood but we have great Mexican places all around here.  Same goes for Thai restaurants although both have good and bad representation.

I love Pho but I travel to The Valley for my favorite bowl.

My latest passion is Korean Food and we have an entire area known as Koreatown.

However, it can take you an hour and a half to travel 4 miles.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/18 03:08:37 (permalink)
1.5 hours to go 4 miles...???

Wow...

Even a stage coach could go faster...or a train...

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/12/29 15:49:53 (permalink)
SCOUTING TRIP on US Hwy 101:

I was up on Hwy 101, in the Eureka area...

Lunch yesterday was Mexican at Luzmila's - 946 West Ave...this is just a few minutes east of US Hwy 101...I had the #9 combo: 2 encheladas & 1 taco...

Dinner was at Porter Street BBQ on Hwy 101 in the downtown area (6th & Broadway). I've eaten at their other stores (Arcata & Cotati) over the years... I enjoyed the bbq tri-tip...but sent the "polish dog" back to the kitchen...it was NOT a Polish Dog in any sense of what we think of (and expect)...just a skinny long hot dog on a garlic buttered roll...they were nice and gave me a refund for that terrible "Polish Dog"...I'll continue to eat their bbq...

What is it about crappy hot dogs...??? I guess they're more common that I'm used to...the mundane are Ok to many food slingers, and I guess they DO sell...too bad they don't step up to a better dog...a REAL Polish Dog is a pleasure to eat...but I guess that *if* I want one I'll have to buy & cook it myself to get what I want...

Meanwhile...my scouting continues...with the help of the Humboldt County phone book restaurant section...
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1