Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2011/10/22 15:14:28 (permalink)

West Coast Food Safari: US Hwy 101

Howdy... 

Would anybody be up for a food safari, looking for small places to eat along US Route 101 on the West Coast...???

Downhome instead of upscale...???  More good & funky instead of "exotic"...???  Plate lickin' good, not "fru fru" food...???

History of US 101
US 101 was one of the original US highways, and in many ways it shares the same uniqueness as US Hwy 66, or the highway that started it all: the Lincoln Highway...

At times it's several miles inland, and at others it's along the shoreline. It was first commissioned in 1926, as a highway taking travelers and commuters between the Mexican Border south of San Diego ,through the many towns and cities along the Central Coast in California, all the way up to Olympia, Washington. 

The highway was completely wiped out during the "Christmas Flood" of 1964 in Mendocino and Humboldt counties where entire communities were wiped off the map along the Eel River (this was due to a "Cut-Off Low" type storm, which often park themselves off the California Coast and pumps in huge amounts of rain & snow in continious storm fronts for long periods) and although the highway itself has been rebuilt (some parts are still 2 lane in this area) some towns struggled to get re-established...there is a marker along the highway between Redway & Scotia that shows the high water mark for that section...at least a dozen feet above the roof of your car...

The scenery IS superb and photogenic, the small towns in the north are often less than 5,000 population where you can see the stars unimpeded and go to sleep with the sounds of crickets, and in the southern part and the SF Bay Area a wide variety of entertainment & cultural interests can be found...and then there's the Pacific Ocean...and in the southern part of California the waters are warmer than the rest of the route that is next to the sea (surfers use wetsuits the further north you go)

Many sections of modern day Interstate-5, which runs a similar route to US 101, were once a part of US-101.

Highway 101, running north-south through the states of California, Oregon, and Washington, along the West Coast of the United States, is at various point also anointed with secondary local names... It is also known as El Camino Real (The Royal Road) where its route along the southern and central California coast approximates the old trail which linked the Spanish missions, pueblos and presidios. It merges at some points with California Highway 1. North of San Francisco it's also known as the Redwood Highway...

I don't know that much about organizing a road trip like this, but it's not like we need to invent the wheel again: Airstream WBCC, Ham & CB radio clubs, travel caravans, etc have done this as have many of YOU good folks out there on previous FOOD road trips...

Many travel groups will have a capable "wagon master" and assistants...

I was also thinking about LOCAL GUIDES...regional residents to help us with their knowledge... 

Alternate IDEA:  AMTRAK

I wonder IF a train trip would work. Perhaps as another Food Safari ... ???

Or as a RETURN Trip...Hwy 101 northbound, AMTRAK southbound back to the starting point...??? Would this interest anybody...???

Yet ANOTHER idea:
Is a trip up (or down) US Hwy 395, east of the Sierra & Cascade mountains, in desolate places than range from desert to mountains, small towns. Mule Days in Bishop...???  Vist the Alabama Hills (hundreds of movies filmed there) & Death Valley or watch a movie at the Lone Pine Film Museum after picking up some vittles...??? 
I'll post these two alternate ideas in separate topics... 
Meanwhile, back on topic about HWY 101: 
NOMINATIONS:  would anybody like to be a Regional Guide...???  
STOPS & ITINERARY:  Suggestions of places to eat...???  What route versus time of day to plan well timed meals (breakfast at breakfasttime, lunch at unchtime, dinner at dinnertime, etc)

My initial thoughts are to start at the southern end in APRIL and work our way north...

Here's a few links about Hwy 101:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101
http://gbcnet.com/ushighways/US101/index.html

post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/01/22 17:00:31

146 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/22 15:19:20 (permalink)
    I like the idea though i would be far more interested in joining the food tour  en route, possibly in Eureka, Ca and traveling along in Oregon. I know lots of places between Florence and Astoria, oregon.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/22 15:25:21 (permalink)
    Sounds good...and you might like to act as a local guide...???

Welcome aboard...

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/22 15:32:39 (permalink)
    PS...I'm having trouble with the (almost) WYSIWYG editor...my original post was supposed to look WAY different...I'm on a very slow dial up connection deep in the mountains, so I feel lucky most days to even be able to get *any* words to stick to the screen...  (sigh)   

"someday I'll get broadband"

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/22 15:57:29 (permalink)
    Places I'd like to nominate:

Hayward-Banchero's-Italian-(little known obscure FACTOID: the East Bay at one point was "US HWY 101-E") - dinner...

Berkeley-Top Dog-Near UC Berkeley (Go Bears !!!)

Santa Rosa-Fosters Freeze-soft cones dipped in chocolate-burgers

Geyserville-Catelli's-lunch-dinner

Cloverdale-Hamburger Ranch-BBQ & Pasta...

Cloverdale-Pick's Rootbeer-rootbeer & lunch...

Ukiah - The Broiler Steakhouse-American-dinner after 4:oo PM

Willits-Al's Redwood Room-American & Thai-lunch-dinner...

Willits-Taqueria Bravo-lunch-dinner...

Garberville-WildRose Cafe-breakfast

Garberville-Calico's-lunch-dinners

Phillipsville-Riverwood Inn-lunch?-Mexican dinner-music

Samoa-(Eureka area)-Samoa Cookhouse-genuine loggers cookhouse-lunch-dinner...quirky in that there are only 1 or 2 menu items per day...call ahead for menu any particular day...

What other places would folks like to nominate...???

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/22 23:51:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like fun but some comments. I would suggest you research some new places not just list the ones you know. There are way better examples of almost every thing you list.

Examples:  Fosters Freeze is truly a dreadful chain with horrible food. In Santa Rosa one might choose Five Guys or In and Out or Phyllis Giant Burger, or Carmen's Burger Bar, or Jacksons for hamburgers.

Or Mexican, El Salvadorean, Thai, etc.

Cloverdale. The Hamburger Ranch is truly mediocre.

Ukiah  The Broiler Steah House is mediocre. In Santa Rosa Starks would be better. Monty's Rotisserie would be far better.

Petaluma- A suggestion  Pete' s Henny penny. better burgers, breakfasts, etc than anything you have listed. Also check out Mikes at the Yard for hot dogs.

Willits- Al's is a bad restaurant.

There are great restaurants all through California. While I would argue that the most distinctive regional food to be found here is not burgers, or hot dogs, or pizza, but California cuisine, Asian, Mexican, fusion, etc. there are certainly much better examples of food you seem to choose to be found, Explore!

BackRhodes

Hayward-Banchero's-Italian-(little known obscure FACTOID: the East Bay at one point was "US HWY 101-E") - dinner...

Samoa-(Eureka area)-Samoa Cookhouse-genuine loggers cookhouse-lunch-dinner...quirky in that there are only 1 or 2 menu items per day...call ahead for menu any particular day...

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/23 13:07:57 (permalink)
    Smokestack Lightening

Unlike facebook ,there is no option on roadfood to "like"  your comment, but I would if I could.

I'm almost "afraid" to ask what BackRhodes defines as a "fru-fru" restaurant
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/23 16:19:40 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Smokestack Lightening

Unlike facebook ,there is no option on roadfood to "like"  your comment, but I would if I could.

I'm almost "afraid" to ask what BackRhodes defines as a "fru-fru" restaurant

Hi WJ,

Thanks. I was thinking of your comments about Southern California and smoothies and sushi rolls are roadfood in SoCal not burgers and hot dogs.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/24 02:02:23 (permalink)
    I was going to call my self US 101 but it turns out I 95 owns the rights to that moniker too. A truly bi-coastal guy.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/24 08:01:17 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    I was going to call my self US 101 but it turns out I 95 owns the rights to that moniker too. A truly bi-coastal guy.

Because you are a friend, he said you can have this one....

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/25 00:03:04 (permalink)
    Why would you want the Interstate by Fort wayne? heh. heh!
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/26 02:53:17 (permalink)
    smokestack lightning

Sounds like fun but some comments. I would suggest you research some new places not just list the ones you know. There are way better examples of almost every thing you list.

Examples:  Fosters Freeze is truly a dreadful chain with horrible food. In Santa Rosa one might choose Five Guys or In and Out or Phyllis Giant Burger, or Carmen's Burger Bar, or Jacksons for hamburgers.

Or Mexican, El Salvadorean, Thai, etc.

Cloverdale. The Hamburger Ranch is truly mediocre.

Ukiah  The Broiler Steah House is mediocre. In Santa Rosa Starks would be better. Monty's Rotisserie would be far better.

Petaluma- A suggestion  Pete' s Henny penny. better burgers, breakfasts, etc than anything you have listed. Also check out Mikes at the Yard for hot dogs.

Willits- Al's is a bad restaurant.

There are great restaurants all through California. While I would argue that the most distinctive regional food to be found here is not burgers, or hot dogs, or pizza, but California cuisine, Asian, Mexican, fusion, etc. there are certainly much better examples of food you seem to choose to be found, Explore!

BackRhodes

I like the chocolate dipped cones at Fosters...it's always a part of my journey on Hwy 20 through Lucerne...the food part varies by location...

Too bad you think Broiler Steakhouse in Ukiah as mediocre...we sure like it and have for 50 years...but then again, you seem to think many of my suggestions as mediocre (you use that word a lot)...but there's also a chance I might not like some of your places either, even though they might be good suggestions...

I'm trying to AVOID that damned "California Cuisine"...I totally disdain it...I bet the person who coined that overused term would be happy with a horse turd on a stick IF it was labeled as "California Cuisine"...and Wandering Jew that is what I consider "fru-fru" food... 
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/26 03:01:18 (permalink)
    To celebrate my gal's birthday we're heading north, and then east on Hwy 36, in search of a steakhouse she heard advertised on the radio, with the Samoa Cookhouse as a backup, Porter Street BBQ (Eureka) as 3rd choice...

Porter Street BBQ used to be a 3 unit outfit, with one in Rodent Puke (Rohnert Park), Ukiah, and Eureka. The one in Ukiah was sold and is owned by a Mexican fella that has a few other restaurants (Paco's Tacos, The Wheels Cafe, and another one)...I don't know about the one in R.P....but at least the one in Eureka is still open...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/26 08:00:22 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

I'm trying to AVOID that damned "California Cuisine"...I totally disdain it...I bet the person who coined that overused term would be happy with a horse turd on a stick IF it was labeled as "California Cuisine"...and Wandering Jew that is what I consider "fru-fru" food... 

If that's the case then you have an extremely limited definition of what Roadfood is.

Fru Fru food to me is a place you won't be able to step foot in without a tux- not a jacket mind you- but a tux - there are some Roadfood restaurants where a jacket is required - Galatoire's in New Orleans comes to mind-
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/26 12:31:00 (permalink)

Too bad you think Broiler Steakhouse in Ukiah as mediocre...we sure like it and have for 50 years...but then again, you seem to think many of my suggestions as mediocre (you use that word a lot)...but there's also a chance I might not like some of your places either, even though they might be good suggestions...

You are missing the point. Or points. Roadfood is about regionally distinctive food. Not simpley hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza. You seem to have a few issues here. One, just because you rember a place from decades ago and like it does not make it roadfood, or even interesting food. Fosters Freeze is a mediocre fast food chain. Nothing of interest.

Secondly, I recommended some places for the type of food you seem to like that you might find better than what you have chosen.

Third, there are many many places that you woudl call frou frou that are wondeful examples of roadfood.  G

Again, California has wonderful roadfood, but your definition of roadfood eliminates most of them.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 07:42:42 (permalink)
    Why can't we all just get along?

post edited by joerogo - 2011/10/27 09:28:26
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 11:45:25 (permalink)
    i hereby freely admit to being a food snob!  First-If it isn't any good---i don't like it-chain local whatever-it HAS TO TASTE GOOD
    Secondly--i dont like processed foods--which leave a lot of places--esp. but not exclusively--chains.
    Thirdly--ALWAYS eat locally produced, regional.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 12:40:29 (permalink)
    tiki

i hereby freely admit to being a food snob!  First-If it isn't any good---i don't like it-chain local whatever-it HAS TO TASTE GOOD
    Secondly--i dont like processed foods--which leave a lot of places--esp. but not exclusively--chains.

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 15:33:11 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

tiki

Me too!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 23:30:12 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

I appreciate your suggestions...that's the point of this thread...

We all self define what "roadfood" is...our definitions do NOT need to coincide in order to be valid...is there some "orthodox" rule ...???

Opinions are just that, subjective...

Perhaps I'm just wasting my time on this web site because I have favorites that you seem to disapprove of...what makes your opinion more correct than mine...???

Take your "regionally distictive food" and stick it...I'm outta here...you're a bunch of food snobs but in denial of it...My favorites aren't worth sh!t to you, because you obviously know much better than I...

I think needing to wear a tux (I own 3 of them) to eat at a "roadfood" establishment is a non sequiter...

Lets see what I find if I google "roadHOUSE food"...perhaps folks with minds that are more open than y'all...
    We share opinions on these fora and i realize that. Some people will disagree with what I think some will not. WJ and I have disagreed on some things but if he likes a restaurant, i have usually found his opinion to be valid. Disagreement is a difference of opinion and to disagree is not to make a personal attack. I am definitely not a food snob and i like a wide variety of ethnic and regional dishes and i have no idea which opinions of these northern California spots are more valid. Let's just understand that people can experience a place differently 

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/10/27 23:57:28 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

I appreciate your suggestions...that's the point of this thread...

We all self define what "roadfood" is...our definitions do NOT need to coincide in order to be valid...is there some "orthodox" rule ...???

Opinions are just that, subjective...

Perhaps I'm just wasting my time on this web site because I have favorites that you seem to disapprove of...what makes your opinion more correct than mine...???

Take your "regionally distictive food" and stick it...I'm outta here...

My reply.
    Yes, opinions are subjective. But you have gone way over the line by telling me to stick it. Huh?
    You are absurd dude. Chill out. We are talking about roadfood. 

And yes Roadfood has much to do with regionally distinctive food. Think Grouper sandwiches in Florida, conch in Florida, the wonders of New Orleans food and Louisiana food including boudin, coffee with chicory, etc, Chicago hot dogs, Lobster Rolls in Maine, Fish frys  in Wisconsin, Onion Burgers in El Reno, OK, Memphis BBQ, Green chile cheeseburgers in NM, smoothies and sushi rolls and Mission burritos in California.

And yes I care about what I eat. And drink. Good food. Good wine. Good beer. Good coffee. etc.   I can be happy at a stand on a street or at a 5 star restaurant.  BUt I choose not to eat at McDonalds or Fosters Freeze or drink Budweiser or bad coffee. 

I dont care what you like. I suggested some places for the kinds of food you seem  to like because your suggestions were old or for chains or in my opinion not very good. 

By the way your idea of California food is silly. And very limited. Check out HRD on 3rd street in SF. As non frou frou as you can get. And as Roadfood as you can get. And as cheap as you can get. And as California fusion as you can get!

Or as I suggested check out some of the good places to eat burgers and dogs in Sonoma county.

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/09 21:31:50 (permalink)
    Mr Chips:  I agree about differences in opinions, but...

All I wanted was suggestions, not condescending negative comments about EVERY suggestion I made...and yet, that was all one person was capable of...

Somebody mentioned that this webby site is for more that burgers and dogs, and that's obvious...but I guess I was assuming when I suggested a chocolate dipped soft serve cone...who doesn't like one of those...???  (those who don't means more for me)...

We tried a new place for Lyn's birthday dinner: Shamus T Bones in Carlotta (Cal Hwy 36, 5 miles east of US Hwy 101)...their web site doesn't seem to work...good food...their bottled bbq sauce has raspberry in it, and is fairly noticable...didn't notice it in the sauce on the table...kinda odd...not sure what to do with it...I'd go back there again...Dinner to 2 was about $50...this place is decorated with a very strong cowboy theme (I'm a rancher and railroad type guy) with lots of pictures and mounted trophies on the walls...our backup was going to be the Samoa Cookhouse, (which is one of our favorites)...
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/09 22:00:35 (permalink)
    You wanted suggestions and I gave you suggestions. I offered my opinions on what I consider to be mediocre restaurants at best. Since you seemed to be interested only in burgers and dogs and steaks I gave you suggestions for way more interesting roadfood places in your area. Both WJ and I also pointed out that the food you chose to discuss was not very representative of what is interesting about California roadfood.

Btw I am not against ice ceam cones dipped in chocolate. Just don't care for mediocre versions of chain fast food ice cream or chocolate. One thing california does well is that there is good ice cream and good chocolate.

Eat what you like of course. Yes, there are different opinions here. About burgers, dogs, beer, coffee, and everything else. But if you post suggestions for restaurants yes people will give opinions.

If you limit your suggestions to places you remember as you have done and ignore what others have discussed or new places then yes you will get opinions that differ than yours.Try some new ideas.

Try some new places

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/09 22:24:05 (permalink)
    You're overlooking that I ASKED for suggestions...I wouldn't have asked IF new places to explore weren't desired...

You could've offered your good suggestions without all the negative poo-poo...and yes, you were negative about EVERY suggestion I made (go back and read it)...

Places become "old favorites" for a reason...some folks might like my favorites, some won't...and I might like other's favorites, maybe not...without going into negative territory saying everything is mediocre...

Remember: others don't have to like what we like, for it to be valid for us...

Please refrain from calling everything mediocre...let folks make up their own minds...huh...???

Some of your suggestions might quite well be "winners", but I just don't get down south to the Bay Area anymore...I don't leave my local area much, except when I do railroad work, and I'll probably retire from that soon (maybe this next year will be my last)...I'm getting to be an old fart (& have a back injury) and travel is getting harder to do...and I just don't have any reasons anymore to go any further south than Napa & Slonoma counties so that leaves occassional planned "food safari" trips combined with other travel events...

post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/11/09 22:28:09
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/10 12:10:53 (permalink)
    When we had our vineyard (Twinwillow Vineyard) in Healdsburg, we used to love Catelli's in Geyserville. Back then, it was just local folks but lately, it's been "discovered".

And for God's sake, don't miss The Olema Cafe (a true "roadfood" gem) in Olema (have the fried oyster po-boy) and, the Hog Island Oyster co. in Tomales Bay. Both in the magical Point Reyes area of the most northern part of Marin County. Lot's of other good "roadfood" oyster joints up that way in Dillon & Marshall. We visited this area often and always would say on the drive home, "this was one of the best days of our life".
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/10 12:23:16 (permalink)
    And oh, I forgot. If you do find yourself on Hwy. 1 (nothing to rave about on 101 in that area) in Mendocino County, be sure to stop in Elk. It's a tiny little (don't blink) town on the coast. I don't remember the name but, there is a gas station/restaurant on the east side of the road that serves delicious home made soups and lunches. Their pies are amazing. STOP THERE! Sit outside in the sun looking at the Pacific while you eat and listen to a strange noise you haven't heard before. It's your blood pressure coming down!
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/11/10 19:43:41
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/10 12:47:23 (permalink)
    Actually the choices you made ( except the Samoa Cookhouse which is a fine place for breakfast) were, in my opinion mediocre at best. Foster's Freeze is a horrible chain on the level of McDonalds. If you are going to tout restaurants then people will comment on them. Als Redwood Room in Willits has been a bad restaurant for decades.
    If you say you like Budweiser someone will comment that it is bad beer. This is a food site. People have opinions. Deal with it.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/10 13:17:50 (permalink)
    joerogo

Why can't we all just get along?

But, he's so damned ugly!
    AlyceinRoadfoodland
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/11 14:01:21 (permalink)
    When??
    cecif
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1414
    Re:West Coast Food Safari...??? 2011/11/11 15:49:31 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

ANYONE who both likes Top Dog and says "Go Bears!" in his post is a new RF friend of mine!!!! (Belated welcome to you, BackRhodes, I am infrequently on RF these days due to school/work!)

I'm originally from California and my parents own a place in Boonville... so, I must add that if you have not had the Mexican food at Libby's in Philo, then you have not lived!!!!!  And beer at AVBC in Boonville!!!

Wish I could join you. 6,000 miles is too far away...
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1